PDA

View Full Version : Is Nadal falling apart already?

henryshli
06-09-2009, 06:14 AM
People had questioned his longevity in the game but surely not this soon. I can already smell the if only he was healthy he would've won more slams posts....

billnepill
06-09-2009, 06:23 AM
too soon to tell imo

bolo
06-09-2009, 06:28 AM
No since the big injury in 2006 he's recovered well and has been one of the tour leaders in the number of matches played.

Unfortunately he is still willing to push his body to the limit it seems.

PimpMyGame
06-09-2009, 06:50 AM
People have questioned his tennis longevity WRT injuries for years. The guy is injured, he'll recover plus the BBC website is now suggesting he can make Wimby, which was much brighter news than a few hours ago.

His style of play may make him more prone to breaking but considering people on this forum have been writing him off for at least 2 years and here he is with 6 slams and 1 USO away from a career slam he ain't doing too bad.

bolo
06-09-2009, 06:56 AM
People have questioned his tennis longevity WRT injuries for years. The guy is injured, he'll recover plus the BBC website is now suggesting he can make Wimby, which was much brighter news than a few hours ago.

His style of play may make him more prone to breaking but considering people on this forum have been writing him off for at least 2 years and here he is with 6 slams and 1 USO away from a career slam he ain't doing too bad.

Good perspective PimpMyGame. Hopefully he will realize soon that with his currentl level he can dominate the tour without having to dominate the clay court season.

zagor
06-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Is he falling apart? No,he just missed Queens like Fed missed Halle in 2007.It's way too early for such assumptions,especially if he still plays Wimbledon.

The guy is supposedly falling apart since 2005 and yet he seemed to have improved his results each year(even won a HC slam for first time this year)so I don't really buy it.

malakas
06-09-2009, 07:06 AM
according to uncle toni,he shouldn't have played any tournament in the last 10 months.

zagor
06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
according to uncle toni,he shouldn't have played any tournament in the last 10 months.

Not even Rome and Monte Carlo where he lost one set combined?

malakas
06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Not even Rome and Monte Carlo where he lost one set combined?

nope.He was under unbearable pain by then,but he's that good.:)

zagor
06-09-2009, 07:10 AM
nope.He was under unbearable pain by then,but he's that good.:)

The guys he played there should switch to golf then since they obviously aren't that good at tennis.With the exception of Novak who stole one set from Nadal in those tourneys.

malakas
06-09-2009, 07:12 AM
The guys he played there should switch to golf then since they obviously aren't that good at tennis.With the exception of Novak who stole one set from Nadal in those tourneys.

an era of clowns what do you expect?:rolleyes:

zagor
06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
an era of clowns what do you expect?:rolleyes:

Wasn't era of clowns before 2008 and 2009? I thought it officially became strong era once Nadal got to number one.

flying24
06-09-2009, 07:14 AM

The same uncle Toni who was probably pushing him to play every tournament, even ones he could have dropped. :rolleyes: What a joke. It would be a great move for his career to ditch his uncle who is coming across as a shady character of late.

Danstevens
06-09-2009, 07:46 AM
too soon to tell imo

I agree. He may have a really bad injury and start to go downhill quickly or he may just be fine. Hopefully he'll be OK so he and Federer can have some more epic matches.

PimpMyGame
06-09-2009, 07:48 AM
The same uncle Toni who was probably pushing him to play every tournament, even ones he could have dropped. :rolleyes: What a joke. It would be a great move for his career to ditch his uncle who is coming across as a shady character of late.

That's a toughie isn't it?

Did Uncle Toni realise the greatness that was upon Rafa? Did he decide, with tennis being such a psychological game, that Rafa was better in the long run to play through the pain and assert himself as the best in the world at the moment? Did Uncle Toni think that due to Rafa's form he would hit a rich vein of earnings (both on and off court) which may never be achieved again?

Or was Rafa himself either partially or fully responsible for his own actions?

It is too early to tell whether playing through the last 10 months will do more harm than good but for sure there is more than one way of looking at it.

vtmike
06-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Wasn't era of clowns before 2008 and 2009? I thought it officially became strong era once Nadal got to number one.

Nope now that Federer has won a Slam, the era era is again the weakest in history and full of clowns... :rolleyes:

Richie Rich
06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
i'm surprised his knees have lasted as long as they have. i was expecting this a couple years ago

JeMar
06-09-2009, 08:54 AM
One of these days he's gonna hit a serve and his knees will explode like Kyle's did when he had a negroplasty.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/901/9012_airkyle.jpg

crazylevity
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Nadal's "falling apart" will not happen in a single season. As with all wear and tear injuries, they occur over a protracted period of time. A couple years back some small signs began to surface, but Nadal managed to recover, come back, and even improve. But with last year's end of season injuries, coupled with this episode, the knee tendonitis is appearing more and more frequently. With some time off, perhaps, Rafa will probably recover to add maybe a couple more slams to his resume. But the fact that it is recurring more and more frequently doesn't bode well, in my opinion.

bolo
06-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Did he decide, with tennis being such a psychological game, that Rafa was better in the long run to play through the pain and assert himself as the best in the world at the moment?

Or was Rafa himself either partially or fully responsible for his own actions?

It is too early to tell whether playing through the last 10 months will do more harm than good but for sure there is more than one way of looking at it.

Good questions PimpMyGame. Hopefully we will get the answers to these questions at some point in the future.

fednad
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM

This uncle Toni is a shrewd guy. He is covering up for Rafa's loss and taking away media attention for what he said about the french crowd.
He is creating a scenario where Rafa enters Wimbledon as a underdog so that if he wins there is a lot of noise and if he loses then people still call him a great sportsman and so that his trolls on this board can kiss his ***** for the fact that he at least competed

jackson vile
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Look everyone it is that time of the year again, when all the morons proclaim that it is all over for Nadal.

Morons Inc. Since 2005, congrats that is going on to 5 years now. Don't worry eventually you will be correct in another 5 years LOL

bolo
06-09-2009, 10:05 AM
This uncle Toni is a shrewd guy. He is covering up for Rafa's loss and taking away media attention for what he said about the french crowd.
He is creating a scenario where Rafa enters Wimbledon as a underdog so that if he wins there is a lot of noise and if he loses then people still call him a great sportsman and so that his trolls on this board can kiss his ***** for the fact that he at least competed

yes this is all in chapter 10 of sun tzu's art of war, which uncle toni memorized in his history classes.

muser
06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Nadal isn't falling apart. mentally and physically fatigued but not on any sort of break down or decline. I think he'll participate in wimbledon and win the tournament. will the naysayers say he made a miracalous recovery or admit to being wrong. we'll c.

Serendipitous
06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Premature thread.....

tennisfun1
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
"I’ve been playing with pain in my knees for several months and I can’t go on like this,” Nadal, 23, said in a statement released by his press agent. “I won’t go out on any court, let alone Wimbledon’s Centre Court, to see what happens. If I play, I’ll be at 100 percent.”

Liar.

Any real professional tennis player will play Wimbledon unless he/she can't walk.

Shangri La
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM
According to team Nadal, yes, he is falling apart.

fednad
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
yes this is all in chapter 10 of sun tzu's art of war, which uncle toni memorized in his history classes.

Not art of war
Call it "Art of Media Manipulation - Redefined "

vtmike
06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
http://file.shanghaidaily.com/News/Image//2008/2008-05/2008-05-24/20080524_360629_01.jpg

malakas
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
http://file.shanghaidaily.com/News/Image//2008/2008-05/2008-05-24/20080524_360629_01.jpg

Nadal has such a bad taste.

coloskier
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
He has been physically been falling apart every year, only this time it happened a little earlier because he has been going deeper into AO and the spring hard court tournaments than he used to.

henryshli
06-30-2009, 04:00 AM
"Iíve been playing with pain in my knees for several months and I canít go on like this,Ē Nadal, 23, said in a statement released by his press agent. ďI wonít go out on any court, let alone Wimbledonís Centre Court, to see what happens. If I play, Iíll be at 100 percent.Ē

Liar.

Any real professional tennis player will play Wimbledon unless he/she can't walk.

I agree. I'm sure most if not all of the top ten players play with pain.

Crispix
06-30-2009, 04:04 AM
I agree. I'm sure most if not all of the top ten players play with pain.

Beside the obvious... Djokovic:):)

roysid
06-30-2009, 04:34 AM
This is nothing compared to what he suffered in 2005. Out for 5 months.
He will come back but I think he will get injured from time to time. That will be his biggest enemy.

drakulie
06-30-2009, 05:23 AM
is nadal falling apart??

Well, he is the ONLY Wimbledon Champion in the last 40 or so years to not defend his title because of "injury/hurt/not 100%".

In fact, only two other players have failed to defend their crown during that time. Smith, who along with 80+ other pros withdrew from Wimbledon under protest against the ITF, and Goran who retired.

Hundreds of players have played Wimbledon hurt/injured/not at 100%, and yet Nadal, the Defending Champion opted to play two exos, and then take a two weeks rest during the championships.

"Is he falling apart?" yes, but he has been for over 4 years, so nothing new there.