PDA

View Full Version : Federer skips Halle

kevinrose
06-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Any thoughts?

Don't forget, last time he won Wimbledon, he skipped Halle.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers/news/newsdetail.cfm?uNewsID=922

vtmike
06-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Smart decision by Federer!...He must be exhausted right now (both mentally and physically)

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
This is just another publicity stunt by the top players looking for attention. How dare anyone make an annoncement public like what Nadal did for Wimbledon. :rolleyes:

vtmike
06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
^^^ Huh??:confused:

christo
06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
go home, rest and enjoy. see you at Queens

MAX PLY
06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Makes sense. He needs the rest more than any matches--he is as "match ready" as anyone on the planet right now. Work outs on grass courts should be sufficient for Wimbledon. Feel bad for the tourney but I suspect they figured out that would be the result after Roger won the FO.

theduh
06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
This is just another publicity stunt by the top players looking for attention. How dare anyone make an annoncement public like what Nadal did for Wimbledon. :rolleyes:

errrr???:confused:

theduh
06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
go home, rest and enjoy. see you at Queens

You mean wimby right?

AAAA
06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Shame for the tournament and the ticket buyers but no big deal as far as his Wimbledon preparation goes. Federer reduced his schedule this year to work on his serve and other parts of his game like fitness and those improvements were evident against Del Potro and Soderling at the FO.

JeMar
06-09-2009, 08:50 AM

This is a joke.

Right?

JeMar
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Shame for the tournament and the ticket buyers but no big deal as far as his Wimbledon preparation goes. Federer reduced his schedule this year to work on his serve and other parts of his game like fitness and those improvements were evident against Del Potro and Soderling at the FO.

Well, Djoko's still gonna be there.

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2009, 08:53 AM
This is a joke.

Right?

It's sarcasm after all attacks the Nadal haters made on Nadal making a big deal about his injury.

Lsmkenpo
06-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Why is it that every topic you somehow have to bring Nadal into it, seriously?

JeMar
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
It's sarcasm after all attacks the Nadal haters made on Nadal making a big deal about his injury.

Federer made a quiet announcement on his website.

Nadal called for a big announcement and released the information through many sources.

I don't get the comparison here.

kevinrose
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Well, Djoko's still gonna be there.

Well, in my humble opinion, i think federer is way more popular than Djokovic (no offense to Djokovic) virtually in any corner of the world (probably except Serbia). If I were the German crowd, I'd rather watch Federer play, rather than Djokovic...

JeMar
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree, but Djoko's at least a decent consolation prize.

kevinrose
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
that's true, they have an exceptionally strong field this year, with djokovic, tsonga, verdasco and blah blah blah...

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Nadal called for a big announcement and released the information through many sources.

It doesn't matter. An announcement is an announcement however it is delivered.

JeMar
06-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Of course it matters... one was made to be a huge attention-seeking event, the other one was a simple message that didn't concern anyone but those interested.

If you're being sarcastic over people making a huge deal about Nadal's alleged ailments by comparing it to Federer's announcement, the sarcasm is really ill-placed.

But I understand you're still a little frustrated over how the last week in sports has gone, so I'll let you have this one.

thejoe
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Yes, but there's a right way to do it, and there's the way Nadal did it.

Mansewerz
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM
At least halle still has Djokovic and Tsonga.....

Turning Pro
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Of course it matters... one was made to be a huge attention-seeking event, the other one was a simple message that didn't concern anyone but those interested.

If you're being sarcastic over people making a huge deal about Nadal's alleged ailments by comparing it to Federer's announcement, the sarcasm is really ill-placed.

But I understand you're still a little frustrated over how the last week in sports has gone, so I'll let you have this one.

Nadal has an Grnad Slam threatening injury, Federer is exhausted.

geese_com
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Fed needs a good break. Hopefully skipping Halle will help him out with Wimbledon.

joeri888
06-09-2009, 09:37 AM

I'm one of the people that critisized it, but I'm certainly no Nadal hater. I just think it wasn't great PR, where as Roger's way was normal PR. I don't think Nadal made a big deal out o his injury, he barely talked about it. I doubt he runs his own personal website anyway and he sure doesn't make the PR decisions as small as this one. it was just a bit dumb.

Federer's statement is normal, and it's a good decision not to play I think.

edberg505
06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Alright, time for Tsonga to pick up his first ATP grass court title! Allez!!!

rommil
06-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Hey NF did you hear the news? Doctors examined Nadal's knees and saw a fork sticking out of it.

Arsenal4o
06-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Hello tennis fans,

First of all, Fed is 27 and cannot play every week.He plays under 20 tournaments per year.Plus , regaining Wimbeldon title means N:1 again if El Matador is not fit to start.
Secondly,these titans are under so much pressure every week, no doubt.
They focus on G.Slams.Sure they can give it a try for the fans but we all want to see them in the final in Wimbledon rather than injured in Queens and Halle.
Good luck with Nadal's rehab.
My prediction is Fed triumph for 6th title.Only Murray and Nadal can stop him.

Blinkism
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey NF did you hear the news? Doctors examined Nadal's knees and saw a fork sticking out of it.

"Can somebody please takes these cutleries out of my knees" - Nadal

LMFAO, flight of the conchords, anyone?

Anyways, obviously Nadal's going to have the bigger press conference he's the world #1 defending Wimbledon Champion who's title defense relies on whether or not his knees are healthy.

Whereas Federer's defense of Halle, a 250 tournament, is much less relevant (especially in light of him winning the French).

Lotto
06-09-2009, 10:30 AM

You should be put in a corner with you're hands tied behind your back until Rafa wins another grand slam because you're even worse when he loses then when he wins.

shadows
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
It's an understandable decision, personally I'd have liked to see him make it sooner but I guess he had to wait a day or two to gauge how much energy he still had. Afterall it was a very draining RG he played (two 5 setters, two 4 setters and only 3 in straights) so i can't really fault him for not wanting to launch straight into another tournament.

Rafa seems to be an unfortunate example of the dangers of overplaying, and if fed doesn't feel he's prepared or 100% there for it then there's no point taking extra risks.

Sucks for the crowd but hey, they'll get to see Tsonga lift another atp title ^_^

allez

Ocean Gypsy
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM

This is just absurd. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

Ocean Gypsy
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, but there's a right way to do it, and there's the way Nadal did it.

Yeah, like not giving props to Soderling for kicking his ***** and then having Uncle Tony bad mouth the French. Yeah, that was real special.

Oy. :rolleyes:

billnepill
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
bravo, smart decision by Fed. Good luck

kanamit
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Not even you believe what you just wrote. Ridiculous.

_maxi
06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe because nadal will play wimbledon? and fereder wont play halle?

BreakPoint
06-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, how "arrogant" of Federer to pull out of a Wimbledon warm-up event where he's the defending champion.

Nadal would NEVER do that, right? :oops:

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, how "arrogant" of Federer to pull out of a Wimbledon warm-up event where he's the defending champion.

Nadal would NEVER do that, right? :oops:

Did you miss my sarcasm? I meant that Nadal is getting all this heat for being concerned about his longevity. I have jumpers knee and it doesn't go away for me. The haters around here are just pathetic.

BreakPoint
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Alright, time for Tsonga to pick up his first ATP grass court title! Allez!!!
Do you know if Taylor Dent is playing? If so, he could give Tsonga a run for his money on grass. :)

BreakPoint
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Ha ha ha ha...LMAO!!! :lol:

Good one! I guess Nadal is done.

Tennis_Bum
06-09-2009, 12:48 PM

You don't because Nadal_Freak is too stupid to make a good comparison.

thejoe
06-09-2009, 12:50 PM
"Can somebody please takes these cutleries out of my knees" - Nadal

LMFAO, flight of the conchords, anyone?

Anyways, obviously Nadal's going to have the bigger press conference he's the world #1 defending Wimbledon Champion who's title defense relies on whether or not his knees are healthy.

Whereas Federer's defense of Halle, a 250 tournament, is much less relevant (especially in light of him winning the French).

"There's people on the streets getting diseases from monkeys, that's what I said they're getting diseases from monkeys, what is happening please, who's been touching these monkeys?"

Basically, Federer did his quietly, Nadal did not. This way, whoever wins Wimbledon (presuming Nadal didn't play) will have their victory discredited, because Nadal has rubbed it in everyone's face that he isn't 100%.

malakas
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM

you fail.

I couldn't care less about Halle's points.Rest and do well in Wimby Rogi!:)

Blinkism
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
"There's people on the streets getting diseases from monkeys, that's what I said they're getting diseases from monkeys, what is happening please, who's been touching these monkeys?"

Basically, Federer did his quietly, Nadal did not. This way, whoever wins Wimbledon (presuming Nadal didn't play) will have their victory discredited, because Nadal has rubbed it in everyone's face that he isn't 100%.

Leave these poor sick monkeys alone, they've got problems enough as it is!

I semi-agree, but you've got to realize that Nadal's the world #1 and the defending Wimbledon champion so the attention is on him because he deserves more attention when it comes to Wimbledon than Federer does when it comes to Halle.

Now, if Federer was in doubt to play Wimbledon I think we'd all agree he'd be getting as much attention if not more than Rafa.

FOTC rules, btw! GOAFPD (Greatest of All Folk Parody Duo's)???

thejoe
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Leave these poor sick monkeys alone, they've got problems enough as it is!

I semi-agree, but you've got to realize that Nadal's the world #1 and the defending Wimbledon champion so the attention is on him because he deserves more attention when it comes to Wimbledon than Federer does when it comes to Halle.

Now, if Federer was in doubt to play Wimbledon I think we'd all agree he'd be getting as much attention if not more than Rafa.

FOTC rules, btw! GOAFPD (Greatest of All Folk Parody Duo's)???

Well, they're only New Zealand's 4th most popular folk parody act :p

New episode airs here tonight!

icedevil0289
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Bummer. I was really looking foward to seeing federer play on grass. Oh well, wimbledon will be here in no time.