PDA

View Full Version : No more carpet tournaments?

mmuubb
06-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Today I checked the ATP calendar and noticed there are no carpet tournaments this year. Anyone knows why? It's quite a shame as it was always an interesting and fresh thing to have 2 or 3 carpet tournaments in a season...

batz
06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Today I checked the ATP calendar and noticed there are no carpet tournaments this year. Anyone knows why? It's quite a shame as it was always an interesting and fresh thing to have 2 or 3 carpet tournaments in a season...

It's the toughest surface on the body. The ATP have agreed there will be no more carpet tournaments.

tacou
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
it's been this way for a few seasons, no?

MajinX
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
It's the toughest surface on the body. The ATP have agreed there will be no more carpet tournaments.

dont see how carpet can be tougher than hard courts... i think it was just a bit out of place as there were only 2 or 3 of them and most ppl dont even know they exist.

vive le beau jeu !
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
toughest surface on the body ?! :confused:
i don't think so...

and even NF the great doesn't think so either !
I agree this is a stupid decision. Indoor season should be all carpet imo. Hardcourts are rougher on the joints.

batz
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Guys -I'll be happy to stand corrected on this - I was sure that was the main reason cited when carpet was dropped but like I said, happy to stand corrected.

NamRanger
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Guys -I'll be happy to stand corrected on this - I was sure that was the main reason cited when carpet was dropped but like I said, happy to stand corrected.

The supposed main reason was that Carpet could cause injuries due to the fact that you could easily get your foot caught on the court and roll an ankle.

In reality, the ATP is just completing it's final phase of making nearly every surface play similar.

stanfordtennis alum
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
i think they took them away..

batz
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
The supposed main reason was that Carpet could cause injuries due to the fact that you could easily get your foot caught on the court and roll an ankle.

In reality, the ATP is just completing it's final phase of making nearly every surface play similar.

Thanks - I was beginning to think I'd imagined that the reason cited was something to do with injuries.

bluetrain4
06-09-2009, 12:49 PM
This may be an idiotic question from a 36-year old tennis nut who has watched tennis since he was 8 years old, but what exactly is "carpet"? Is it simply like thin Astroturf or utility carpet put over a hard floor. Is it the same as Supreme court? I was at a tennis clinic once at a high school gym and they rolled out a thin rubber tennis court. Is that "carpet" or something else?

IvanAndreevich
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Not sure what kind of carpet pro's play on. The two types I've played on were sort of like short synthetic grass. Very fast and unpredictable bounces galore.

CyBorg
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM

This is pretty much correct.

AAAA
06-09-2009, 02:11 PM

The crowds in Europe got bored with watching the servefests in the 90s, so much so that attendance at these indoor events were losing popularity.

Conquistador
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Its unbelieveable. The biggest victim is David Nalbandian-the greatest carpet player of all time. Im pretty upset because carpet is one of those surfaces that is always interesting. I feel bad because Nalbandian made a lot of money on carpet.

dParis
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
The Tennis Channel recently showed a Davis Cup match between Becker and Edberg on carpet and it was little more than a boring serving contest. I believe carpet is the fastest of surfaces. Too fast (for the pro game), I think.

chess9
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
This carpet thread has some loose ends....

:)

-Robert

gsquicksilver
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Its unbelieveable. The biggest victim is David Nalbandian-the greatest carpet player of all time. Im pretty upset because carpet is one of those surfaces that is always interesting. I feel bad because Nalbandian made a lot of money on carpet.

nalbandian? i think boris becker would have given him a run for his money if they both played on carpet in their primes.

Claudius
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
The Tennis Channel recently showed a Davis Cup match between Becker and Edberg on carpet and it was little more than a boring serving contest. I believe carpet is the fastest of surfaces. Too fast (for the pro game), I think.

I loved watching Edberg vs. Becker on TTC. I can see why some people find it boring.

And also, too fast for the pro game? You mean too fast for Nadal?;-)

THESEXPISTOL
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGhshum4_g

Claudius
06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGhshum4_g

That's some great tennis!

dParis
06-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I loved watching Edberg vs. Becker on TTC. I can see why some people find it boring.

And also, too fast for the pro game? You mean too fast for Nadal?;-)
Good one.

If all matches were played on carpet, what current player under current conditions, would Nadal be equal to?

Claudius
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Good one.

If all matches were played on carpet, what current player under current conditions, would Nadal be equal to?

Roddick on clay?

tennisfun1
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Good riddance to carpets.

Gorecki
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Carpet was the ultimate reflex test... no more!

sad...

THESEXPISTOL
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
How really was carpet?
Like that reels of carpet that people put in their house ground?

Jchurch
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Was it like astro turf?

egn
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
It would be odd for carpets to be toughest as when carpets were huge players lasted longer..I cue McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, Becker, Laver, Rosewell.. these were top plays who played nearly 20 years on the tour some more than that and a majority of the tournaments they played were carpet and for the oldies it was carpet/grass...with some wood and clay. Guys like Mac, Connors and Lendl all have 30 plus carpet titles and lasted around 20 years same goes for Becker. They fall in the 18-25 range. Laver, Roswell and Gonzales are a different story..carpet had no damage to the body to any of my knowledge. Hardcourts are cheaper carpets are I guess slightly more expensive and have to be maintained more I imagine, you probably have to lay down new carpets more than new hardcourts..who knows I wonder what the atp answer is.

Dimitrov_Fan
06-10-2009, 02:47 AM
I've played on 2 different types of carpet.

1 is basically Astroturf.. which is synthetic grass.

and the other is basically a rubber/wool carpet, but not like a rug at home. Very short wool, if anything.

Not a fun surface to play on, but if you're a big server (like I am), it does actually make life easy for you, but running around on carpet is not fun at all.

But basically carpets are somewhere between grasscourts and hardcourts. I wouldn't say carpets are much faster than fresh grass courts.

From my experience, that is.

Gorecki
06-10-2009, 04:56 AM
How really was carpet?
Like that reels of carpet that people put in their house ground?

more like a rubber wool carpet...

já jogaste futebol em pisos de Taraflex? por cá ainda se vai encontrando...

como explicar...:confused:

380pistol
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM

I would have to concur.