PDA

View Full Version : How many Grand Slams will Nadal win?

JennyS
06-09-2009, 01:46 PM
My gut tells me he'll win 2 more French Opens and 2 more non French Open Slams, bringing his career total to 10.

hoodjem
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
It's all in the knees. How long will his career last? At least 1-2 per year as long as he's healthy.

Dutch-Guy
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
All these predictions are pointless.Let's wait until he retires.

All-rounder
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
10 slams i say

thalivest
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
10-12 slams.

2-3 more Frenchs
1 more Australian Open
1 U.S Open
0-1 more Wimbledons

I hope he proves me wrong and goes beyond that of course! Whatever he does I know he will give 110% and make his fans proud of his effort.

R.Federer
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
ill say bout 11 or 12 1 more wimby imo and couple more french opens

malakas
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
9 slams in total.

Badger
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
At leadst 12 I'd say. Probably: 3-4 frenches
1 wimbly
1 aussie
0-1 us

Cyan
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I voted he won't win another Slam. Sad but true.

Jchurch
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
My gut tells me as of right now he will win between 0 to 3 more slams. I don't how how much longer his body will hold up.

IvanAndreevich
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
1+ Wimby's
2+ FO's
1 USO
1+ AO

T1000
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM
1 or 2 more if he's lucky

jimbo333
06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Well he still needs 2 more to match Connors:)

I really hope his knees are going to be OK!

zagor
06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Well I'm still confident Nadal will get 10+ but exactly how many? Hard to say as many factors come into play.

Serendipitous
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM

10 chars

grafrules
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
The funny thing is I actually feel even today grass should be his worst surface. Grass only becomes his 2nd best surface because the field on grass is so much weaker than the field on hard courts today, like night and day difference. Also because of the bogus grass today. Federer with his game IMO should never lose to Nadal on grass skill and overall game wise, but the matchup issues being so bad for Federer, combined with his huge mental block/choking against Nadal allows it to happen, and with hardly any other good grass courters Nadal to have his best success at Wimbledon compared to hard courts. However I feel his game should be better for hard courts than grass. I am pretty sure if he played in the 90s with all the true grass court players then, and the true grass then, he would have had better results on hard courts than grass.

Even Federer doesnt exactly have a true grass courters game in some ways. He has an excellent serve but not an amazing one, he is a quite good volleyer but not an expert volleyer, his slice and transition game isnt exactly perfected although it is effective. In another era he too would be greater on hard courts than grass.

edmondsm
06-09-2009, 04:45 PM
You can never predict the future, but this is especially tough to call with his physical issues. He could win as many as 12, or he could never win another slam. I say he retires with 9. That's a good number, no one else has it.

zagor
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
The funny thing is I actually feel even today grass should be his worst surface. Grass only becomes his 2nd best surface because the field on grass is so much weaker than the field on hard courts today, like night and day difference. Also because of the bogus grass today. Federer with his game IMO should never lose to Nadal on grass skill and overall game wise, but the matchup issues being so bad for Federer, combined with his huge mental block/choking against Nadal allows it to happen, and with hardly any other good grass courters Nadal to have his best success at Wimbledon compared to hard courts. However I feel his game should be better for hard courts than grass. I am pretty sure if he played in the 90s with all the true grass court players then, and the true grass then, he would have had better results on hard courts than grass.

Even Federer doesnt exactly have a true grass courters game in some ways. He has an excellent serve but not an amazing one, he is a quite good volleyer but not an expert volleyer, his slice and transition game isnt exactly perfected although it is effective. In another era he too would be greater on hard courts than grass.

While I agree about HC competition being better Nadal still looks a lot more natural to me on grass than on HC just when I watch him play.Don't forget that athleticism plays a big role on grass and Nadal is a hell of an athlete,one of the main reasons Fed and Nadal are so above the field on grass is because they're best athletes and movers on tour and that comes to pay in Wimbledon big time.Also at Wimbledon Nadal seems to be more agressive off ground,going for his shots more than when he plays on HC,to me he's much more enjoyable to watch on grass than on other surfaces for that reason.

clayman2000
06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Wimbledon is definitely Nadal's 2nd best surface

I votes 10 slams:
-for the rest of 09, i can definitely see him winning 1 of USO or Wimby
-2010 -- see him taking FO, and 1 other
2011 - 1 or 2 depending on his health
After 2011, i see him conetedning for slams, but not winning any

dh003i
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I think that if Nadal's knees hold up, 11 slams.

timnz
06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Around 14 I would say. I expect that Federer will have 17-20 by the time he is done.

Note: Tilden's total came from 10 Amateur Grand Slam events + 3 Pro Slam events + 1 World hardcourt (clay) championships (which should have major status).

El Diablo
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Maybe 1 or 2 more. I can't think of any tennis players who've had glorious careers after developping significant problems in both knees. The constant trauma of twisting and landing on them is so limiting not just to tournament play but practice as well.

maddogz32
06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
he has a big carreer ahead of him so i think he will win ten or more

JeMar
06-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I voted for two more.

tomn
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
IF nadal is healthy, which is something federer was able to do for many years, he should get at least 5 more (maybe 1 a year (at least the FO)) for the next 5 years, the prime years of his playing career? i think he will reach double digits when it's all said and done...

sh@de
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Given his knees, and how DP and Murray are rising fast, I think Nadal may only win about 3 more slams, bringing his total to 9. Which would still be pretty impressive, especially if one of them were the US Open. He'd be ahead of Agassi.

prattle128
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM

sooo wrong

veroniquem
06-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Can I ask how you got to such a pessimistic conclusion?

sh@de
06-09-2009, 10:07 PM

knees maybe? I doubt he won't win even a single one though... I think he can make at least 2, hopefully 3, and then maybe even more :)

veroniquem
06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
knees maybe? I doubt he won't win even a single one though... I think he can make at least 2, hopefully 3, and then maybe even more :)
Chronic tendinitis is a pain (pun intended) but it's not a career threatening injury. It will keep butting in at inopportune times and will never allow Rafa to dominate complete seasons from beginning to end but it will not stop him from winning more big titles either as long as his game remains competitive when he feels fine, which I think it can for quite a few more years.

Lsmkenpo
06-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Chronic tendinitis is a pain (pun intended) but it's not a career threatening injury. It will keep butting in at inopportune times and will never allow Rafa to dominate complete seasons from beginning to end but it will not stop him from winning more big titles either as long as his game remains competitive when he feels fine, which I think it can for quite a few more years.

Problem is he can't just turn it off and on when his knees feel fine, without
training hard and consistent practice his level will fall out of the top 5 very fast.

sh@de
06-09-2009, 10:23 PM

But in a grand slam, you're playing at a ridiculously high intensity for two full weeks. If you don't feel fine on just one of the days, you're out, as demonstrated by Nadal's loss in FO this year. If the tendonitis is bad, sure, he may still win tourneys, but in GS, if he so much as doesn't feel fine for one day, GG Nadal.

edmondsm
06-09-2009, 10:31 PM

Thanks Doc :) Seriously though, do you think that he can win slams while he's in pain for many more years? Surely not. As Nadal said; he can't go on like this. These flare-ups are becoming more and more frequent. For an athlete joints are NOT like a fine wine, they don't get better with age. He just turned 23 and here he is again nursing his knees. Only this time it's happened twice this year and we're only in June.

That's not pessimism, that's realism.

Cyan
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm in antijinxing mode. :)

pravnash
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
He deserves at least 10, for the phenom he is ! I hope he gets there... i see him winning FO twice or thrice, and non-FO once or twice.

TheTruth
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Agreed. Just read an article on Tennis Week where Roddick says he suffers from it, and has suffered from it for years.