PDA

View Full Version : Let me know what you think?

downthewall
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
She just turned 7 and started last december. Any feedback is welcomed but PLEASE don't be too harsh and bash her like some other threads i've seen. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBF73x_vljg

subaru3169
06-10-2009, 12:44 AM
pretty impressive for a little girl who started a half yr ago

one thing i saw which was pretty prevalent was that when she starts her windup on her forehand from the ready position, she makes this little loopy rainbow motion.. imo, it'd be more efficient if she were taught to bring the racket straight back.. it may also be from the weight of a full sized racket, i dunno.. but that's my take on it

i'm sure if she keeps up the training and works hard, she'll be dominating by the 12s=)

P8ntballa
06-10-2009, 01:47 AM
She just turned 7 and started last december. Any feedback is welcomed but PLEASE don't be too harsh and bash her like some other threads i've seen. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBF73x_vljg

That is actually really nice! On the fh wing try and have her uncoil more, rotating her hips and shoulders more thru the contact point will give her more power and consistancy. The bh looks pretty solid but again rotating would give a little more pop. Also on both sides make sure she split steps b4 every shot and stepping into the court contacting the ball out in front is what u wanna see. These r all actually minor tweaks that r not that hard to teach. If she keeps it up, she WILL b good.

P8ntballa
06-10-2009, 01:51 AM
pretty impressive for a little girl who started a half yr ago

one thing i saw which was pretty prevalent was that when she starts her windup on her forehand from the ready position, she makes this little loopy rainbow motion.. imo, it'd be more efficient if she were taught to bring the racket straight back.. it may also be from the weight of a full sized racket, i dunno.. but that's my take on it

i'm sure if she keeps up the training and works hard, she'll be dominating by the 12s=)

honestly thats what u wanna see in total beginners but, once u have solid timing, the bigger wind up emphasizes shoulder turn when bringing the racquet back which is proper technique.

downthewall
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I think part of the reason why the takeback looks big is because the racquet is quite big on her. Its a 26inch junior size prince. but its only weighs like 8.5 ounces.

any footwork drills that are fun for kids this age?

tenniscrazed
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
any footwork drills that are fun for kids this age?

Get a crazy ball (rubber ball with big bumps on it). They are loads of fun, and will work on footwork, reaction, and hand, foot, eye coordination.

Good luck.

downthewall
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Get a crazy ball (rubber ball with big bumps on it). They are loads of fun, and will work on footwork, reaction, and hand, foot, eye coordination.

Good luck.

thats a great idea!!! im going to try it

nocompromise2009
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
pretty impressive for a 7 year old girl that just started 6 months ago. alothough i would have liked to see how many of those balls landed??? but other than that and the other things ppl above me said, way to go!

eeytennis
06-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Not bad, good footwork. She seems to be making contact with the ball late on her forehand which is causing the ball to fly up (and it looks like sometimes it's out). Her backhand should have a loop incorporated into it as well. But overall, considering she's been playing for 5 mos. she's pretty good.

TennisCoachFLA
06-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Cute video. I like the little windshield wiper action on her forehand!

P8ntballa nailed it, more uncoiling and rotation will bring her some more pop but she is doing great for 6 months of tennis. Like he also said, sometimes she is leaning/stepping back a little much, other times she comes into the ball nicely. AT that age they need constant reminding to get 'into' the ball.

She is doing fantastic. Enjoy, have fun, and good luck.

downthewall
06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Cute video. I like the little windshield wiper action on her forehand!

P8ntballa nailed it, more uncoiling and rotation will bring her some more pop but she is doing great for 6 months of tennis. Like he also said, sometimes she is leaning/stepping back a little much, other times she comes into the ball nicely. AT that age they need constant reminding to get 'into' the ball.

She is doing fantastic. Enjoy, have fun, and good luck.

Thanks TennisCoachFLA.
yep, i notice that too.... and will help her work on that. she didn't start to hit that forehand and grip until 3 months ago. before that, it was just a straight takeback and oldfashion step in and follow thru. This is her in mid Feb. with a basic takeback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeGNPuCoiOU

Out of all the balls she hits, I'd honestly say atleast 60-70percent land in. alot of times i can tell that she gets tired and gets caught with hitting the ball a tad late. I spoke to a few teaching pros here and they told me not to worry about where the ball lands. At this age, its about technique and footwork. the rest will come automatically. most importantly, she loves the game. she just loves to hit balls

TennisCoachFLA
06-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks TennisCoachFLA.
yep, i notice that too.... and will help her work on that. she didn't start to hit that forehand and grip until 3 months ago. before that, it was just a straight takeback and oldfashion step in and follow thru. This is her in mid Feb. with a basic takeback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeGNPuCoiOU

Out of all the balls she hits, I'd honestly say atleast 60-70percent land in. alot of times i can tell that she gets tired and gets caught with hitting the ball a tad late. I spoke to a few teaching pros here and they told me not to worry about where the ball lands. At this age, its about technique and footwork. the rest will come automatically. most importantly, she loves the game. she just loves to hit balls

That is so true, don't bother with pitter pattering the ball like many kids and parents do. I love the 'rallies' where the parents make the kids softly hit the ball right to each other!! Teaches the robotic strokes with no power you see at most country clubs.

Let her rip away with the windshield wiper, stepping in, generate power. Your ratio of balls that land in is a good guage...obviously swinging away with no control is also pointless. I would rather a kid hit the net 30% of the time with a wicked shot than moonball an entire machine of balls with 100% success.

Have her watch some slow motion Federer forehands on you tube and play around with it. See his rotation and stroke pattern and eye super focus and weight transfer. Some kids are mirror learners, they see a great stroke and can emulate it very well.

downthewall
06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
TennisCFLA, i agree with you. Also, i dont plan on having her play in any tournys until she is 10 (3 more years). what do u think? is it helpful or useless

tenniscrazed
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
TennisCFLA, i agree with you. Also, i dont plan on having her play in any tournys until she is 10 (3 more years). what do u think? is it helpful or useless

TCF might disagree. But there is nothing better than a healthy dose of competition. It doesn't have to be single elimination, sanctioned events. On the contrary, it can be team tennis, round robins, and other developemental type events. But for sure she must compete. Just beware and don't get wrapped up in the junior tennis hype and look to the long term benefits of practice and competition.

Good luck

TennisCoachFLA
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
TCF might disagree. But there is nothing better than a healthy dose of competition. It doesn't have to be single elimination, sanctioned events. On the contrary, it can be team tennis, round robins, and other developemental type events. But for sure she must compete. Just beware and don't get wrapped up in the junior tennis hype and look to the long term benefits of practice and competition.

Good luck

Agree 100%. She seems very outgoing. I bet you by age 8 she will be really bugging you to enter some competitions and show her stuff, and it will keep her fired up about tennis.

jonaron
07-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Looks great, I think her attitude and what seems like great coachability will go a long way. I would seriously consider trying out a 25" racquet. Wilson and babolat both make real rackets in 25. My son has the wilson k tour 25". I think that this racquet she has is a bit unwieldy and contributes to some less than ideal mechanics. Good luck and have fun!