PDA

View Full Version : 100 million for USTA development program

SoCal10s
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
""United States Tennis Association to overhaul its player development system last year, introducing a host of initiatives such as regional residential training centers, a new roster of national coaches to scout and train prospects, and an increased budget (upward of $100 million over the next 10 years). The plan is comprehensive and ambitious, intended to produce the next Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, and Venus Williams. ""
This is a quote from an article...
so far what I've seen is pretty dismal .. spending money sending kids to play in Spain ..ect.. what is 100 million gonna buy for the USTA?

100 million will Fail?
100 million will make many champions ?

vandre
06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
based on my extremely limited observations, there will be several self-obsessed organizers will find a way to get crazy fat (i.e. go into loot and pillage mode) off of this money and U.S. Tennis will be no better off!

TennisCoachFLA
06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Designate 12 regional training centers, make sure each has some red clay along with the hard courts, staff with solid coaches, scout promising players, funnel them to these centers, then funnel the best of the best to Carson or Boca for very entensive training. From what I see, this seems to be the meat of the plan.

But you still need some of the very best athletes to play tennis starting at 6-7-8 instead of focusing on basketball, soccer, football, baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc. Sure they can play other sports at young ages, but also learn tennis.

Thats the part of the plan we need details on....how to make tennis attractive, cool, affordable, and available to the very best child athletes.

Tom C
06-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Designate 12 regional training centers, make sure each has some red clay along with the hard courts, staff with solid coaches, scout promising players, funnel them to these centers, then funnel the best of the best to Carson or Boca for very entensive training. From what I see, this seems to be the meat of the plan.

But you still need some of the very best athletes to play tennis starting at 6-7-8 instead of focusing on basketball, soccer, football, baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc. Sure they can play other sports at young ages, but also learn tennis.

Thats the part of the plan we need details on....how to make tennis attractive, cool, affordable, and available to the very best child athletes.

Great ideas/suggestions but it still guarantees nothing and thats what the USTA has to understand. It takes more than money, red clay, solid coaching, great athletes and the right environment to build great champions. You can build a very good player but a great player has those special qualities that you can't buy or teach.

TennisCoachFLA
06-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Great ideas/suggestions but it still guarantees nothing and thats what the USTA has to understand. It takes more than money, red clay, solid coaching, great athletes and the right environment to build great champions. You can build a very good player but a great player has those special qualities that you can't buy or teach.

Very true. If the ultimate goal is to produce Grand Slam winners, you can't produce them. The whole world is training elite tennis athletes. And of all those, 3-4 will dominate any given era.

The odds of generating an American Grand Slam champ through any specific program is very tiny. The next American champ might just as easily come from some public park courts and get snapped up by IMG at a remote tournament and never even be near the USTA's radar.

If the USTA's goal is to make tennis more popular and thus have a deeper fan and recreational player base, that goal is more realistic.

nocompromise2009
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
i say it will fail, plus with their 100 million dollar goal the cost of tournaments is out the ***

Vicious
06-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey, this program, if your speaking of the new 60$ Childrens Program they are so fervently promoting, is amazing. I am A High School Tennis Player, Sophmore to be exact, and I am volunterring to help coach this summer.

We are getting inner city poor children who cannot afford much, interested and in love with this great sport!

We are getting kids intrested in this, and its something that will keep them from straying, and joining gangs like most of my cities population.

Its giving these kids a chance to learn the fundamentals, get a racquet and more all for a cheap price.

Its teaching more than Tennis, much more.

I believe this won't fail, and its a step in the right direction, go usta!

charliefedererer
06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
If the USTA is smart, it will offer scholarships to train the next champion from Majorca, Switzerland, Sebia or Scotland.

TennisCoachFLA
06-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey, this program, if your speaking of the new 60$ Childrens Program they are so fervently promoting, is amazing. I am A High School Tennis Player, Sophmore to be exact, and I am volunterring to help coach this summer.

We are getting inner city poor children who cannot afford much, interested and in love with this great sport!

We are getting kids intrested in this, and its something that will keep them from straying, and joining gangs like most of my cities population.

Its giving these kids a chance to learn the fundamentals, get a racquet and more all for a cheap price.

Its teaching more than Tennis, much more.

I believe this won't fail, and its a step in the right direction, go usta!

Great idea. Like you said it is about more than just tennis. But in the end, it is also the best strategy to increase the number of successful American pros.

Despite what some posters on this board cry, the next great American players will be of African American descent. You play the percentages and put the most money into attracting African American players. Common sense says you go with your best chances, look to the NBA and NFL skill positions, see where your best women juniors are coming from.....its staring us right in the face....they are the African American athletes!

Like this article says, the women's side is coming along nicely. Now if we could attract more African American males we would be in great shape.

http://www.nickbollettieri.com/aboutNick/article.cfm?artID=591

SoCal10s
06-17-2009, 09:25 AM
^^^^^ another bandwagon time....^^^^^^^^

Vicious
06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
True, very much.

It's not even race-wise really.

People think and are focusing on the idea that this program fails unless it raises star athletes!

This isn't the point of the program, the point is to get young children from every background a chance to get a start in tennis.

Vicious
07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
UPDATE:

Week 5. The Kids are doing AMAZING. it helped them gain intrest and pick up alot more then. heres a ball. Hit it to me.

Today I was coaching a little girl who was brilliant, and never played before. After a while and wondering, I even through in a Topspin shot, a corner shot, and a Slice and she returned em. She was amazing for a little kid. (well, I kinda made those shots a bit easier for a kid to get)

I am guessing she just has a natural talent, but the point is, it works, and kids like it.

Our goal is to get kids to learn a good sport that helps, and stick with it, pro or not. I will never be a pro, I did something similar as a kid, fell in love with tennis, and still play it, 7 years later, and plan on playing till me bad knee dies.