PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider a good season

rocky b
06-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Playing usta if you play 10 matches how many of them do you need to win to say it was a good season

Cindysphinx
06-11-2009, 05:37 AM
I don't measure things by wins and losses. I am the team captain. I could guarantee a win by putting myself with the best partner against the weakest teams. On the teams I don't captain, whether I win depends almost entirely on what my captain does with me.

My season was good if I grew as a player. This season, I have played Court One at my level and played up at 4.0. I feel like I am a stronger player, and I am enjoying the challenge.

So I had a good season.

raiden031
06-11-2009, 05:48 AM
It heavily has to do with what your expections are. Things to consider are 1) Were you recently bumped up/down to a different level? 2) Are you playing mostly the #1/2/3 spots in lineups (yes people say it doesn't matter but alot of teams do play in order of strength and it makes a difference). 3) Where did you see yourself fitting into the level in which you're playing?

If you are a recent bump up to a new level, chances are you will lose more than you win, so just winning half your matches might be a good season. If you are playing your 5th year at the same level and still lost over half of your matches, then it may not be a good season. Its all about what your expectations were.

I am like 1-6 after getting bumped to a new level and would say I performed alot worse than I expected, so I had a bad season. I expected to lose more than win, but have closer scores in the process than I actually did.

OrangePower
06-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Playing usta if you play 10 matches how many of them do you need to win to say it was a good season

Do you mean individual record or team record?

For me success is measured relative to what my expectations were going into the season, both for the team and for me individually. So the numbers required to achieve success will change from year to year.

For example, 2 years ago, I was playing only doubles and my individual goal was just to avoid a losing record. So 5-5 would have been a good season. And the team goal was to not be in the bottom 3. So 3-7 would have been good.

Last year, I started playing singles, and again my goal was to just be competitive. So 5-5 would be considered success. The team goal was to get to the playoff (top 4 out of 10 teams), so 7-3 or 8-2.

This year, I want to be more dominant and have a chance to get bumped up. So success means 8-2 or better. And the team goal is to win the flight, which means 9-1 or 10-0.

SlapShot
06-11-2009, 06:37 AM
I expect better results season to season, and that's how I judge "success."

My first season playing up to 4.0, I was something like 4-6, with most matches being at #2 or #3 doubles. This winter (my second run at it), I was 7-3 playing #1 doubles, which I feel was a nice improvement. This season so far, I'm 4-0 at #1 doubles. Again, I feel that the results show that my game is improving and returning to where it was when I was a junior.

Gh0st
06-11-2009, 07:37 AM
This is the first competitive tennis I've ever played and the first time in over 16 years that I've played regularly. I started out pretty rusty but I've played better as the season has gone on.

Singles record, 3 - 2
Doubles record, 1 - 1

My first match I lost to a guy who beat the mess out of everyone the rest of the year and was DQ'd. We had a very good match and one I would love to play again. I've had my ups and downs but I feel I made some good progress and have won my last 3 matches.

The biggest struggle was mental. Recreational play does not prepare you for competitive tennis. I feel much more comfortable playing now and I'm confident every time I step on the court. That has had as much to do with my success as my improved strokes.

fe6250
06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I didn't have a stellar winning record(6-4) as compared to the last few years, BUT I played only against the top talent in the league at my level and also played a level up for four of those matches - so I'm satisfied and would view that my tennis was better than it was a year ago. I also had a really great time with the teams I was on and enjoyed the social elements of the team. That's successful in my book.