PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap, usta tournaments are expensive!!!

Mansewerz
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I can't believe that it's the upwards of $40-50 for one singles tournament. I mean, are you serious!

TennisCoachFLA
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I can't believe that it's the upwards of $40-50 for one singles tournament. I mean, are you serious!

They need it for the $100 million they are spending to try and produce the next American Grand Slam champ!

kobe3pointer
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Yeah, its way too expensive to do routinely...

Mansewerz
06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I may only be able to do once a month!

10isDad
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
In speaking w/ a tennis pro friend of mine who happens to run several tournaments each year, he makes very little profit. He says the majority of funds goes to pay for those eldery, generally somewhat blind folks in the ugly blue and reddish-shirts tasked with enforcing regulations who often are little more than warm-up timekeepers ("2 minutes, court 4, start your serves!").

raiden031
06-11-2009, 01:06 PM

I bet it has to do with the court fees. Just think, alot of clubs charge as much as $30-40 for one hour of play. If you in a tournament, you could play several matches. So for 1 match that takes 2 hours, you and your opponent might rack up $60-80 worth of court time. So I understand it, even though it sounds rediculous paying that much money for a tennis event.

Mansewerz
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I bet it has to do with the court fees. Just think, alot of clubs charge as much as $30-40 for one hour of play. If you in a tournament, you could play several matches. So for 1 match that takes 2 hours, you and your opponent might rack up $60-80 worth of court time. So I understand it, even though it sounds rediculous paying that much money for a tennis event.

In speaking w/ a tennis pro friend of mine who happens to run several tournaments each year, he makes very little profit. He says the majority of funds goes to pay for those eldery, generally somewhat blind folks in the ugly blue and reddish-shirts tasked with enforcing regulations who often are little more than warm-up timekeepers ("2 minutes, court 4, start your serves!").

Ah, i see how both points make sense, but still I would play outdoors. I don't care, i just wanna play an actual tournament like that

tacoben
06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
This is my daughter's first year in tournaments. My wife and I have made it a point to find tournaments that have first match loser consolations (FMLC), so that way she can play at least one more match versus single eliminations (SE), where if you lose in the first round, you're out. She'll be playing the Little Mo regionals (non-USTA event) soon and the application is $100. Good thing the tournament is close by to us, so airfaire and lodging isn't a factor. But your'e right it can get down right expensive (tournaments) if you tally everything else associated to it. I'm looking at cost of USTA sectional championship entrance fees, that hopefully she'll be playing someday, and the fee's are quite steep. :(

subaru3169
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
"you can't be serious!!" - john mcenroe

40+ plus for a JUNIOR tourney?? that's insane.. that's how much i'd expect adult tourneys to be since ya know, adults should have jobs and such.. i remember when i was a junior, i never paid more than 15 dollars for a tourney.. above that is ridiculous

TennisTaxi
06-11-2009, 02:34 PM

40+ plus for a JUNIOR tourney?? that's insane.. that's how much i'd expect adult tourneys to be since ya know, adults should have jobs and such.. i remember when i was a junior, i never paid more than 15 dollars for a tourney.. above that is ridiculous

That is just for singles... I just paid $40 this past week for doubles, then Tennis Link takes $2.00 ...$82 for one tournament + gas (or airfare and hotel)...no..tennis isn't a rich "persons" sport!!:shock:

subaru3169
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
That is just for singles... I just paid $40 this past week for doubles, then Tennis Link takes $2.00 ...$82 for one tournament + gas (or airfare and hotel)...no..tennis isn't a rich "persons" sport!!:shock:

omg i really do feel bad for you and the others that play tourneys now.. i never would've imagined the price inflated to that much

so is this the standard now, for junior and adult tourneys??

slicekick95
06-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I may only be able to do once a month!

the thing about it is if you go deep, you are paying $40 for like 4 matches which is a good deal. but you have to go deep. also. 1 a month isnt little by any means.

Mansewerz
06-11-2009, 03:47 PM
the thing about it is if you go deep, you are paying $40 for like 4 matches which is a good deal. but you have to go deep. also. 1 a month isnt little by any means.

Ok cool, because i'm not that great right now, but i wanna go down state by my senior year. I play doubles, and I live in IL.

And, luckily, doubles tournies are $25ish, but i'm playing some singles only tournaments as well (mental toughness).

deddied
06-11-2009, 04:05 PM

you think thats expensive, designateds in florida, the lowest national level tourney in florida, are 65$, sate closed are 85$, regionals are 110$, and thats not encluding gas and lodging.

Noaler
06-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Doubles are like a free gift. they like $3 dollars more if you do singles wit dem

subaru3169
06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
you think thats expensive, designateds in florida, the lowest national level tourney in florida, are 65$, sate closed are 85$, regionals are 110$, and thats not encluding gas and lodging.

good thing i'm not in florida then lol

SoCal10s
06-11-2009, 07:02 PM
national tournaments are over $100 now at the clay courts,and $80 something for level 2 hardcourt.. but how come the ITF tournaments are still around $30,plus they have more umpires and will sometimes give you lunch and a share of the hotel fees? USTA is ripping us big time,,,

ChuDat
06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
If they were cheap I would enter a tournament like 3-4 times a month. I guess their expensive because the people who host the tournament need the money to pay for the courts and time they use for the tournament, court time isn't cheap especially at a club

10isDad
06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
but how come the ITF tournaments are still around $30,plus they have more umpires and will sometimes give you lunch and a share of the hotel fees? USTA is ripping us big time,,,
ITF tourneys are often sponsored by companies and/or the country's government-funded tennis federations. Just look at some of the upcoming ITF junior tournaments: Open Junior BNP Paribas, Security & General International Jr. Open, AEGON Scottish Jr. Open, South African Airways Jr. Open, etc.

When you have companies footing some of the bill in return for getting some advertising, it's easy to charge less.

The easiest way to see it: compare the average junior event to the average Future or Challenger event. Junior tournaments are often 2 or 3 times as much money. USTA Pro Circuit events are usually sponsored by some club or company.

One other thing to remember about ITF tourneys: no back draws. I've no idea how much, but I would bet it helps to contribute to the lower cost - although not as much as company sponsorship.

DownTheLine
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Up here in the northern divison there about $20-$25 for singles and $18-$20 for doubles...

subaru3169
06-11-2009, 09:45 PM
so are junior and adult tourneys roughly the same cost now??

Dgpsx7
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I live in NYC and I looked at a couple tournaments recently and some of them were in the low 70s, its insane.

yonexxx
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Ok cool, because i'm not that great right now, but i wanna go down state by my senior year. I play doubles, and I live in IL.

And, luckily, doubles tournies are $25ish, but i'm playing some singles only tournaments as well (mental toughness).

i live in IL to what school do u play for? and do you have an easy sectional if you do its not hard if you play for USTA

yonexxx
06-11-2009, 11:28 PM

i understand for indoor tournaments but what about outdoors i signed up for a tournament (maywood) next Friday and it is outdoor but still it was like 50 bucks i think outdoor should be much cheaper

10isDad
06-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Are you not reading the post that you quoted? Much of the cash goes to getting the roaming umpires.

There isn't a set fee that umpires get nationwide; it's a sectional thing. Say that umpires are getting $160 per day or about $20 per hour. If there're 3 sites, each with 2 to 3 umpires and the tournament lasts 3 or 4 days, it adds up. Mix that in with court costs, the often presented t-shirt, trophies and sometimes food...

10isDad
06-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Example: SW Closed starts this weekend. There are 345 players, each paying $60 or $20700.

Court Costs: The tournament is played at 4 sites, one of which is a private country club where members cannot play for a 4-day period. It's just a guess, but say there are 50 total courts being reserved for 10 to 12 hours per day for 2 days, 30 courts for 8 hours for 1 day and 15 courts for 8 hours for 1 day. That's an estimated 860 hours of court time. Even if court costs are minimal, say $10, you're looking at nearly $10K.

Umpires: if there are 8 umpires getting $20 per hour on days 1 & 2, 4 umpires on day 3 and 2 umpires on day 4, you're looking at another $5000 or so.

Balls: Say 20 cases of balls at $50 to $75 per case, depending on the brand.

T-Shirts: probably got a decent deal - say $4 a pop at that volume. Get a few extra and lo and behold another $1500.

Trophies: no idea how much they may cost, but say $1000.

Add it all up and you're nearing the tournament entry fee total. Do the TDs make a profit: sure they do, otherwise they wouldn't hold tournaments. Do they rake in tons of $$$ - nope...

Note: all the costs are hypothetical and may be more or less than stated. It's just an example of how much everything can add up.

ITFs and Futures/Challengers keep their entry fees lower because costs are subsidized through corporate sponsorship, club sponsorship, tennis federation sponsorship, etc.

10isRocs
06-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Example: SW Closed starts this weekend. There are 345 players, each paying $60 or $20700.

Court Costs: The tournament is played at 4 sites, one of which is a private country club where members cannot play for a 4-day period. It's just a guess, but say there are 50 total courts being reserved for 10 to 12 hours per day for 2 days, 30 courts for 8 hours for 1 day and 15 courts for 8 hours for 1 day. That's an estimated 860 hours of court time. Even if court costs are minimal, say $10, you're looking at nearly $10K.

Umpires: if there are 8 umpires getting $20 per hour on days 1 & 2, 4 umpires on day 3 and 2 umpires on day 4, you're looking at another $5000 or so.

T-Shirts: probably got a decent deal - say $4 a pop at that volume. Get a few extra and lo and behold another $1500.

Add it all up and you're nearing the tournament entry fee total. Do the TDs make a profit: sure they do, otherwise they wouldn't hold tournaments. Do they rake in tons of $$$ - nope...

Note: all the costs are hypothetical and may be more or less than stated. It's just an example of how much everything can add up.

ITFs and Futures/Challengers keep their entry fees lower because costs are subsidized through corporate sponsorship, club sponsorship, tennis federation sponsorship, etc.

Yeah, so where does all the $$ go that the USTA gets...to support 10 boys and 10 girls and send them to Spain to train....:shock:

mikeler
06-12-2009, 06:31 AM
The USTA tournies I used to play had just one roving umpire and junky plastic trophies. Find non-USTA leagues, they are a much better value.

Racer41c
06-12-2009, 06:42 AM
I wonder how much a golf tournament costs? Maybe I should switch?

Mansewerz
06-12-2009, 08:54 AM
The USTA tournies I used to play had just one roving umpire and junky plastic trophies. Find non-USTA leagues, they are a much better value.

I'll ask the coach that runs our camps. No clue where else to start though.

i live in IL to what school do u play for? and do you have an easy sectional if you do its not hard if you play for USTA

I'm in nothern illinois. You? Not sure who is in my sectional.

mikeler
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Look for leagues run by local tennis clubs. Also use Google to find independent leagues in your area.

Mansewerz
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Look for leagues run by local tennis clubs. Also use Google to find independent leagues in your area.

Ahhh, I should've known! I work at a club. will ask my boss (director of racquet sports) next time around.

coyfish
06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Hehe tennis tournies are cheap compared to triathlons. I just paid 200 bucks for my last triathlon on top of a yearly membership that costs 30 bucks. It could be worse :).

mikeler
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Ahhh, I should've known! I work at a club. will ask my boss (director of racquet sports) next time around.

A lot of these clubs have flyers hanging around advertising their leagues.

momtogrif
06-12-2009, 10:54 AM
omg i really do feel bad for you and the others that play tourneys now.. i never would've imagined the price inflated to that much

so is this the standard now, for junior and adult tourneys??

I'd say so. We pay $20 for Super Sets and most tournaments that are USTA sanctioned cost around $25-40 for just singles. Adding doubles costs an additional amount.

My son (he's 10) just started playing in tournaments a few months ago and he really wants to get his ranking up so he's asking to be entered in EVERY single tournament that comes up. We live in AZ and there's tournaments up north in Flagstaff and Sedona and then local tournaments. The Flag tournament is costing me $300 just for hotel and my son is playing both singles and doubles.

Bonnie

ClarkC
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I wonder how much a golf tournament costs? Maybe I should switch?

Yes, golf courses are notoriously cheap to build and maintain.

TennisTaxi
06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd say so. We pay $20 for Super Sets and most tournaments that are USTA sanctioned cost around $25-40 for just singles. Adding doubles costs an additional amount.

My son (he's 10) just started playing in tournaments a few months ago and he really wants to get his ranking up so he's asking to be entered in EVERY single tournament that comes up. We live in AZ and there's tournaments up north in Flagstaff and Sedona and then local tournaments. The Flag tournament is costing me $300 just for hotel and my son is playing both singles and doubles.

Bonnie

Welcome to the "Wonderful World of Very, Very, Very Expensive Junior Tennis"....:)

tenniscrazed
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the "Wonderful World of Very, Very, Very Expensive Junior Tennis"....:)

VERY X $1,000 per event. Wait until the National Opens which the 10 year old can play now. Between the singles, doubles, consolation event, gas, food, and lodging you will be well over $300 and likely close to a $1,000. Multiply that times the draw size times the number of events per year. Can someone back up the Brinks truck.

subaru3169
06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
ahh ok then.. hopefully it'll be 40 max around here than though i doubt it lol.. i still have yet to play an adult tourney.. i really want to though, just need some more practice

JLyon
06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Wow I must be getting jimped and if Ump are making $20 an hour they are making more than official makes t the US Open and other Pro Tournaments. As for costs Tournament Directors should go out scouring for sponsorships.
Also USTA gets at least $2 for every entry and tennislink takes another $3.
So quit blaming it on the umpires, seeing as how you would be complaining more if there were no umps, better yet why don't you volnteer and be a Court Monitor since that is what many Sections are going towards.

yonexxx
06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I'll ask the coach that runs our camps. No clue where else to start though.

I'm in nothern illinois. You? Not sure who is in my sectional.

im in chicago area. we have a really tough sectional 2nd hardest in state. i live in the sw suburbs and i am in the downers grove south sectional

10isDad
06-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow I must be getting jimped and if Ump are making $20 an hour they are making more than official makes t the US Open and other Pro Tournaments. As for costs Tournament Directors should go out scouring for sponsorships.
Also USTA gets at least $2 for every entry and tennislink takes another $3.
So quit blaming it on the umpires, seeing as how you would be complaining more if there were no umps, better yet why don't you volnteer and be a Court Monitor since that is what many Sections are going towards.

Maybe you should actually read the thread a bit more thoroughly. I wasn't complaining, I was providing some justification.

Fedace
06-13-2009, 11:36 AM

Yea it is their secret agenda to drive all the good players out of USTA tennis. and leave it only for Rich Old hackers..:)