PDA

View Full Version : Old Hilton Head Pro Tennis Tournaments

myservenow
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Does anybody know where in Hilton Head Island, SC, that they used to hold the professional tennis tournaments? I am asking with regards to the actual location.

I've seen video footage on the internet of old men's and women's tournaments held somewhere on the island. I vacation there sometimes but can't think of where they might've held these tournaments. Maybe Port Royal?

Some of the footage I've seen was a match between Borg and Laver, and then a match with Steffi Graf from the late 80s or early 90s.

paterson
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
The tournament was played at the Sea Pines Plantation Resort. Today, Stan Smith is the tennis director of the Sea Pines Racquet Club.

CEvertFan
06-12-2009, 01:10 AM
The tournament was played at the Sea Pines Plantation Resort. Today, Stan Smith is the tennis director of the Sea Pines Racquet Club.

Exactly right. The Family Circle Cup stopped being held at the Sea Pines Plantation Resort in Hilton Head in 2000 and moved to Charleston.

hoodjem
06-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Sea Pines. I attended one of these back in the 70s.

Z-Man
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Yep--The courts are marked with the names of the winners and they've got some great pictures hanging around. Nice place--I wish they still had a pro event there.