PDA

View Full Version : flex league question

raiden031
06-12-2009, 06:33 AM
I just joined a flex league. Do these count towards your rating? I'm going to guess no because they don't even require usta membership, but I want to double check. And I presume they don't show up in tennislink either?

kylebarendrick
06-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Nope - they don't count and they don't show up in tennislink

Atown
06-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Nope - they don't count and they don't show up in tennislink

Actually, it sounds like they might show up in TennisLink if it's a USTA flex league: http://www.usta.com/sitecore/content/USTA/Global/Leagues_and_Tournaments/Adults/Information/Flex_Leagues_FAQ.aspx

goober
06-12-2009, 07:03 AM
nm

PushyPushster
06-12-2009, 07:08 AM
No, they don't count toward your USTA rating. You can, however, find the results on TennisLink - it's in a separate section from the normal USTA results.

Good luck with the season and I hope your experience proves better than mine. Due to the lack of interest in our area, they created 3 divisions of 5 people each (yes, 15 people signed up!) and you played each person in your division twice. I didn't like that setup and thought UltimateTennis was a much better league.

LafayetteHitter
10-02-2009, 12:57 PM
It's exhaustive that this is my third go round with Flex league here. The guys sign up then you can't get them out there to play. Very frustrating. The worst part is the guys on the bottom half start dropping out because they feel they can't win the whole thing instead of just taking it match by match.

goober
10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
It's exhaustive that this is my third go round with Flex league here. The guys sign up then you can't get them out there to play. Very frustrating. The worst part is the guys on the bottom half start dropping out because they feel they can't win the whole thing instead of just taking it match by match.

Yup biggest problem is that people sign up and don't play. I was looking over the summer league results and the division I would probably play in had only 5 players. Two guys didn't play any matches at all. So the remaining 3 guys played each other and that was it.

Topaz
10-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Yup biggest problem is that people sign up and don't play. I was looking over the summer league results and the division I would probably play in had only 5 players. Two guys didn't play any matches at all. So the remaining 3 guys played each other and that was it.

*raising hand*

I'm guilty of that, so every time I'm tempted to give it a try again, I remember how hard it was to schedule the matches.

Of course, I also made the mistake of trying to get the matches in during our regular USTA season, and I just had too much going on. I think that is probably what happens with most people...it sounds so good in theory, and then when it comes to actually getting the matches in, the scheduling eventually becomes so much of a chore that you give up.

smoothtennis
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Well I had an Ultimate time doing UT, but again, scheduling was the only real issue that I saw. Guys had told me beforehand, to be very proactive in contacting and setting up matches, and that is what helped my experience a lot.

LafayetteHitter
10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Last time I had four guys scheduled, reserved courts then just never heard from them again. I think once they take a loss or two they give up but it's not like we are playing for ATP rankings here.

JoelDali
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
12 guys in my flight, I've played all but one, its been great so far. Everyone has been easy to contact, no drama at all, all great guys, no fist fights on the court or head butting.

kendall22
10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Has anyone gotten anything for winning a past league? Even a congratulations email? That's why people flake out - there's no enforcement. You can't even tell someone, "Look I need to play you to finish my schedule for a shot at first place."

I think it's a joke and another example of the USTA and the local groups doing nothing with the rank-and-file. Where is this $100m per year they make off the US Open going to?

Oldracquet27
10-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Has anyone gotten anything for winning a past league? Even a congratulations email? That's why people flake out - there's no enforcement. You can't even tell someone, "Look I need to play you to finish my schedule for a shot at first place."

I think it's a joke and another example of the USTA and the local groups doing nothing with the rank-and-file. Where is this $100m per year they make off the US Open going to?

Maybe some kind of incentive might help. But let me tell you that is a problem that will be in all areas when it comes to flex: SCHEDULLING, and yes people just stop playing when they loss some matches. The reality is that those are not authentic tennis players, they do not want to improve, and they do not know how to lose. My advice to all of us who get fustrated is keep playing and don't let the social players with not motivation descourage you and all of the others players that are really into playing. Be VERY proactive contacting and do it as early as possible and be mentally ready for the ones who just never even return emails. Once you know what to expect experience is smoother and we keep having fun playing the game we love.

Oldracquet27
10-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I kind of do a scouting on the players in the draw. Sometimes you will be able to figure it out which players are weaker. Try to play those first since they get discouraged easily ( sorry i don't want to be judgemental, it is what i had experienced). Then by doing that you will make sure you will play some decent amount of matches at the end. The strong players normally are the serious ones who always stay in the draw until the end.

LafayetteHitter
10-02-2009, 04:35 PM
The thing is they should know when signing up there will not be big victory parades that are covered on CNN. The point is most of us are signing up to "play" tennis. If the main concern is about having their name be the winning name on some flex league that the vast majority of people don't even know about they should find something else to do.

Topaz
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Personally, the reason I signed up was to get more singles matches and experience. I didn't give a fig about 'winning' the league or anything like that. We just started it, too, in my area.

I had two great matches, one of which I think was the only one ever reported. And then I just got overwhelmed with the league stuff I was already in...c'est la vie.

Oldracquet27
10-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Personally, the reason I signed up was to get more singles matches and experience. I didn't give a fig about 'winning' the league or anything like that. We just started it, too, in my area.

I had two great matches, one of which I think was the only one ever reported. And then I just got overwhelmed with the league stuff I was already in...c'est la vie.

Maybe that is not so respectful to the other players who signed to the flex league , as a tennis player as you are, just put yourself in their shoes....
I know we can get extremelly busy sometimes but when we make an effort many things can work out! unless we have a health issue or something like that. My humble opinion....

Topaz
10-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Maybe that is not so respectful to the other players who signed to the flex league , as a tennis player as you are, just put yourself in their shoes....
I know we can get extremelly busy sometimes but when we make an effort many things can work out! unless we have a health issue or something like that. My humble opinion....

No, you're exactly right!!! Which is why, when I feel the urge to sign up again, I resist, because I know I'll end up being one those people that drives the others nuts!

I think it is a great idea, though, and I'm glad that my area finally started flexleagues up!

raiden031
10-02-2009, 06:08 PM
My flex league was a bust. We had like 6 people in the flight and were supposed to play 2 matches each. I played everyone once except 1 guy and nobody even attempted to schedule the second match with me.

BreakPoint
10-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Yes, I won my flex league last fall and got an email in addition to a $25 gift card to Golf-smith, which turned out not to be really a gift card as I couldn't use it like cash. I was restricted to what I could buy with it and I couldn't use it along with any other discounts nor coupons. Pretty bogus. So it's not a gift card that the USTA bought with cash but a promotional thing that Golf-smith gives out for free to almost anyone, so more like a coupon.

The other thing about flex league is that you have to be really proactive in contacting and hounding your partners to schedule the matches and to make sure that they actually happen. It takes a lot of e-mails and phone calls. Also, a lot of people tend to play up. That's probably why I went undefeated the whole season and had many 6-0 sets.

Jracer77
10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes, I won my flex league last fall and got an email in addition to a $25 gift card to Golf-smith, which turned out not to be really a gift card as I couldn't use it like cash. I was restricted to what I could buy with it and I couldn't use it along with any other discounts nor coupons. Pretty bogus. So it's not a gift card that the USTA bought with cash but a promotional thing that Golf-smith gives out for free to almost anyone, so more like a coupon.

The other thing about flex league is that you have to be really proactive in contacting and hounding your partners to schedule the matches and to make sure that they actually happen. It takes a lot of e-mails and phone calls. Also, a lot of people tend to play up. That's probably why I went undefeated the whole season and had many 6-0 sets.

That's the problem right there. I didn't want to "hound" some people to play the match so I gave up on half of them. I mean, why did they sign up for it if they really didn't want to play? So it was adios to flex leagues for me after one try.

Cindysphinx
10-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of value in the schedule that regular league matches have. Even if you don't feel like playing or have some minor injury, it is hard to say no to a captain who is pleading for someone to step up.

GeoffB
10-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Just go in with the right expectations and you'll have a good time. Flex League is very, very casual. Some people are into it and play all their matches, others kind of fade away and only play a few of them. The vibe is more like a friendly than a tournament or league match, and more people are playing up. I just saw it as an opportunity to meet some new players and get a little more competition in, so I had a good time.

If you really can't schedule with someone, or if they flake on you, you are technically allowed to claim a default.

BTW, I won a flex league once, and the golf-smith gift card worked fine, no restrictions ;) In norcal, I think it's now a $25 gc to tennis warehouse.

BreakPoint
10-03-2009, 10:39 AM
BTW, I won a flex league once, and the golf-smith gift card worked fine, no restrictions ;) In norcal, I think it's now a $25 gc to tennis warehouse.
I tried to buy some discounted clothing with the GS giftcard but it wasn't allowed because the giftcard is already considered a discount. Thus, I couldn't get two discounts. :(

GeoffB
10-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I tried to buy some discounted clothing with the GS giftcard but it wasn't allowed because the giftcard is already considered a discount. Thus, I couldn't get two discounts. :(

That sucks. They let me buy a discounted item with the giftcard at the golf-smith downtown san francisco. You know, sometimes it just depends on who is at the counter that day.

LafayetteHitter
10-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok, so I had courts reserved at 2pm Friday for this Flex match. We talked on Thur and agreed on 2pm. I called him before I left twice and also e-mailed that morning and never heard from him. I drive 20 mins to the courts and wait and noone shows. That was Friday afternoon. I e-mailed when I got back home as well. Never heard anything from the guy. Now fast forward to Noon on Sunday that last day for our match for the week and he email's saying 'sorry his phone battery was dead'. I hate to become this type of a guy but honestly, I think I agree with my gf. Screw the guy, I will double bagel him according to the rules. It's pouring down raining today so there is now way we can play today and honestly I think the guy is lying about the phone which tells me he's exactly the kind of guy I don't want to play.

kendall22
10-04-2009, 02:03 PM
There's just going to be different levels of seriousness taken and priority given when it's essentially free sign-up and no enforcement or obligation to play because there's no playoffs.

I'm finishing up my 7th match (8-man league) tonight and no one else has even played 3.

TennisDawg
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Flex league good luck on that! I don't have time for that kind of B.S. Play tournaments, hangout at a local park and pick up matches. Get a ball machine to work on your strokes. Play if someone calls you, but if they no show, scratch them off your list.
Develop other interests, friends not connected with tennis.
Don't worry about it and don't lose any sleep over it.

JoelDali
10-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Ok, so I had courts reserved at 2pm Friday for this Flex match. We talked on Thur and agreed on 2pm. I called him before I left twice and also e-mailed that morning and never heard from him. I drive 20 mins to the courts and wait and noone shows. That was Friday afternoon. I e-mailed when I got back home as well. Never heard anything from the guy. Now fast forward to Noon on Sunday that last day for our match for the week and he email's saying 'sorry his phone battery was dead'. I hate to become this type of a guy but honestly, I think I agree with my gf. Screw the guy, I will double bagel him according to the rules. It's pouring down raining today so there is now way we can play today and honestly I think the guy is lying about the phone which tells me he's exactly the kind of guy I don't want to play.

Give me his name and I will make sure to take care of him.

This is BS.

He must be dealt with properly.

Nojoke
10-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Scott-

I agree what that guy did is messed up. I just wanted to point out that the "deadlines" for getting your match in is just a recommendation so you can stay on course to complete all matches by the end of the season. It is not a hard and fast deadline. That said, since you agreed to a time and place and the guy flaked, I think it is justified to enter a default. Scheduling matches is the worst part of flexleague.

Joe

LafayetteHitter
10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I didn't default the guy I figured it would be better to wait and just play him later when he gets around to it and make sure I beat him.

HFS
10-08-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm about to start my first flex league. At what point can you default someone? If you're the visitor and never hear from the home player by the play date, is that a default? Not looking for cheap stats, I'm just curious on how this thing works.

Also, if you're the home player and your home facility has both hard and clay, do you get to pick which surface gets played?

JoelDali
10-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Uh, no that'd be pretty bad taste to record bagels for those guys. But I say go for it if you need the games, in fact default all of them and you could get that $25 and never even play a match. Pretty cool eh?

Why not be a gentleman and let your opponent pick the surface?

Oh nevermind I forgot...this about winning. Play his weak surface. For example, if he has bandaged knees and is over 50 slaughter his old ***** on hard courts.

You're well on your way to first place.

:)

kendall22
10-08-2009, 05:49 AM
With that small a prize, I wouldn't bother defaulting anyone. Just leave it unplayed in the system.

You pick the surface if you are home.

HFS
10-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Uh, no that'd be pretty bad taste to record bagels for those guys. But I say go for it if you need the games, in fact default all of them and you could get that $25 and never even play a match. Pretty cool eh?

Why not be a gentleman and let your opponent pick the surface?

Oh nevermind I forgot...this about winning. Play his weak surface. For example, if he has bandaged knees and is over 50 slaughter his old ***** on hard courts.

You're well on your way to first place.

:)

I just asked what the rules are. I'm not looking to screw anybody and I couldn't care less about winning the thing. Actually, I want to know these rules in case some jerk tries to flip them on me. Thanks for thinking the worst.

JoelDali
10-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Nah, your questions were somewhat 'interesting'. Seems to me you were thinking the worst. All the rules are on the FL site in addition to your coordinator's email address. How could you possibly think you could default people with no cause? And of course you can pick the surface if its your home court.

Anyhoo.

:neutral:

HFS
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Just re-read my post. On the second-read, it does look like I'm out to gun. Not the case. Bad writing on my part. That's what I get for asking questions before coffee.

Flyingpanda
10-10-2009, 05:19 AM
I'm about to start my first flex league. At what point can you default someone? If you're the visitor and never hear from the home player by the play date, is that a default? Not looking for cheap stats, I'm just curious on how this thing works.

Also, if you're the home player and your home facility has both hard and clay, do you get to pick which surface gets played?

Which flex league? If it's USTA, I have no idea. But for Ultimate Tennis it's considered a default if your opponent doesn't contact you by the Wed of the play week. It's considered a No-Show if your opponent is more than 20 minutes late.

But obviously a lot of this is according to your own discretion. They give you extra time to play your matches and you can always reschedule.