PDA

View Full Version : Itf???

nocompromise2009
06-13-2009, 04:05 AM
I recently joined the usta but then I saw the itf's ipin, should I also purchase an itf membership

Thanks

Mr. Blond
06-13-2009, 04:57 AM
International Tennis Federation.....they are actually much larger and better organized that USTA.

Are you going to play international tourney, or seek an ITF ranking?

nocompromise2009
06-13-2009, 08:53 AM
no i plan on just playing in the US, but a sponsorship company that i have been emailing wanted to know my USTA ranking and my ITF but I live in the US and only play in the US so i dont see why they would need a ITF ranking

Tom C
06-13-2009, 09:28 AM
There are a few ITF tournaments in the US including:
Easter Bowl
US Open Juniors Championships
Eddie Herr International Jr Tennis Championships
Dunlop Orange Bowl International Championship
Most of the top American players participate in these tournaments.

nocompromise2009
06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
well as for now im not planning on doing any ITF tournaments just USTA for now. Eventually I will most likely attend some once my rankings go up, but would i really need to get an ITF membership or should i tell the company that im only with the USTA and not ITF?

Tom C
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
nocompromise2009, How old are you? What are your goals?

nocompromise2009
06-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Im 16 and my goals are to become number 1 on my high schools varsity team, win some tournaments this summer, go to georgetown university to play tennis in D1

deddied
06-13-2009, 05:53 PM
your last goal looks kinda tough, but keep working hard.

nocompromise2009
06-14-2009, 06:16 AM
your last goal looks kinda tough, but keep working hard.

yes indeed the last goal looks tough but i have the grades for the school already and working on the 53,000 a year tuition. :shock: but i usually play about 4-5 a week when school year was on but now during summer i play maybe 3-4 times a year but if i keep this up for two more years while playing for the school and going and winning tournaments then im sure ill have a shot to play tennis with the hoyas.

nocompromise2009
06-14-2009, 06:17 AM
now during summer i play maybe 3-4 times a year

oops i meant 3-4 times a week, i really need to start checking what i type haha

kctennis1005
06-14-2009, 08:33 AM
yes indeed the last goal looks tough but i have the grades for the school already and working on the 53,000 a year tuition. :shock: but i usually play about 4-5 a week when school year was on but now during summer i play maybe 3-4 times a year but if i keep this up for two more years while playing for the school and going and winning tournaments then im sure ill have a shot to play tennis with the hoyas.

have u talked to their coach?

nocompromise2009
06-14-2009, 08:40 AM
no i havent talk to the GU coach but im planning on going to attend their tennis camp in july sponsored by nike and Gordie Ernst, the head coach, will be coaching the tennis camp. so ill get a chance to talk to him there

scraps234
06-14-2009, 11:04 AM
sorrry for the off topic question but what company are you trying to get a sponsorship with?

wilsonplayer
06-14-2009, 11:14 AM
nocompromise2009 - good luck on your ambitious goals. on the topic of your last goal, i strongly suggest devoting even more time than you have mentioned if you are already 16. i have talked to georgetown players and some of them did indeed play top itf tournaments and tournaments like kalamazoo so they were top juniors. good luck and word hard.

kctennis1005
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
no i havent talk to the GU coach but im planning on going to attend their tennis camp in july sponsored by nike and Gordie Ernst, the head coach, will be coaching the tennis camp. so ill get a chance to talk to him there

just fyi.....georgetown was one of my top choices until i talked to gordie about the program.....he has very high ambitions for the tennis program(somehow he thinks he can get top ITF players and top 50 nationally players without scholarships) and he didnt seem very interested in me, or any other player who wasnt top 50 either. he kept telling me how bad their program is with very few courts and the fact that he has to coach the mens and womens teams. it was almost like he was encouraging me to go elsewhere.....i am extremely happy i did decide to go elsewhere cuz im going to a better school where i will be happier.......and another note, georgetown finished the year with a 4-21 record and have no recruits coming in next year.....i dont know how promising of a program it is....

nocompromise2009
06-14-2009, 01:11 PM
just fyi.....georgetown was one of my top choices until i talked to gordie about the program.....he has very high ambitions for the tennis program(somehow he thinks he can get top ITF players and top 50 nationally players without scholarships) and he didnt seem very interested in me, or any other player who wasnt top 50 either. he kept telling me how bad their program is with very few courts and the fact that he has to coach the mens and womens teams. it was almost like he was encouraging me to go elsewhere.....i am extremely happy i did decide to go elsewhere cuz im going to a better school where i will be happier.......and another note, georgetown finished the year with a 4-21 record and have no recruits coming in next year.....i dont know how promising of a program it is....

wow i thats odd that gordie would only look at top 50 players and discourage the others maybe if he would look outside the top 50 GU might be better and get high name players to recruit in. oh well, im only 16 tho im looking at other schools just georgetown stuck out to me since i play in Pennsylvania and I love the area of DC, plus i want to major in pre-law so maybe ill re-think it, maybe notre dame or pitt. idk haha

and the company is pacific

kctennis1005
06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
wow i thats odd that gordie would only look at top 50 players and discourage the others maybe if he would look outside the top 50 GU might be better and get high name players to recruit in. oh well, im only 16 tho im looking at other schools just georgetown stuck out to me since i play in Pennsylvania and I love the area of DC, plus i want to major in pre-law so maybe ill re-think it, maybe notre dame or pitt. idk haha

and the company is pacific

ya gordie was very odd in the recruiting process.....i prob woulda gone there if the program was better and he was a little more proactive in the recruiting process.

nocompromise2009
06-14-2009, 07:33 PM
just wondering, if u didnt go to GU where did u go, not to get off topic

Mr. Blond
06-16-2009, 02:22 PM
no i plan on just playing in the US, but a sponsorship company that i have been emailing wanted to know my USTA ranking and my ITF but I live in the US and only play in the US so i dont see why they would need a ITF ranking

Sometimes the ITF ranking is given more weight than USTA rankings because the pool of players is much larger. Also, and ITF ranking shows a level of dedication to the sport in that people who acquire one typically compete at much higher levels. I am generalizing of course, but I know that ITF rankings are regarded as a better measure than just USTA.

woodrow1029
06-16-2009, 02:26 PM
You will need an IPIN if you plan on playing ITF Futures tournaments.