PDA

View Full Version : I feel weird........

Cody
06-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Yesterday i had my first comp match, i have been playing for 4 months and play a weekend round robin type comp where each match consists of 2 teams of 3 players.

I was up against the number one singles opponent which i talked to after a friendly warm up doubles which he told me he has been playing for 6 years.

My game started off pretty badly which i thought is normal for a first match and was down 0-3.
Then my serve into some zone where i served like i had never served before and was making shot like i couldn't believe and soon i was up 5-4 which seems impossible to me and then finished the match with 3 aces to close the game.

Now i was really happy, enough to even brag about it on here as you can see until i looked over at my opponent who was visibly upset chucking his racket around and almost crying.
I was really shaken up from this as it is just friendly weekend comp(i think) and i feel really sorry for some reason.

I just don't think i have the mind for winning if i feel sorry for the opponent.

NotSoSuper
06-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Dont feel bad for winning. Some people just take loses harder than others.

charliefedererer
06-13-2009, 07:30 PM
You'll win some.
You'll lose some.
You owe it to your opponent to play your best.
Your opponent owes it to you to play his best.

IF
-Rudyard Kipling

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

subaru3169
06-13-2009, 09:56 PM
happens to all of us.. play long enough and you'll feel just like your opponent did

120mphBodyServe
06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
To the OP...
Be happy for your improvement. It's not your problem if your opponent cries. I mean, come on.. This is just tennis...
It's not like a relative or a close friend of his was killed in war..
Anyway how old are you?
Congratulations again...

Cody
06-14-2009, 03:02 AM
To the OP...
Be happy for your improvement. It's not your problem if your opponent cries. I mean, come on.. This is just tennis...
It's not like a relative or a close friend of his was killed in war..
Anyway how old are you?
Congratulations again...

Thanks, I just turned 13 hence the new LM Radical :)

I will probably be experiencing my first loss soon but hope to take it better then that guy.

Cody.

120mphBodyServe
06-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks, I just turned 13 hence the new LM Radical :)

I will probably be experiencing my first loss soon but hope to take it better then that guy.

Cody.

Don't look as a loss as a negative experience.
Look at it as an exercise to see what you need to work on.
Because in the end you can only give 100% of your ability & effort at that moment, and that's all you can ask of yourself. If you can do that consistently then you should be happy, win or lose...
Enjoy your racquet. :-D

Tennis_Maniac
06-14-2009, 01:51 PM
I just don't think i have the mind for winning if i feel sorry for the opponent.

Trust me, you'll learn to enjoy this moment instead of hating it.

120mphBodyServe
06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Then my serve into some zone where i served like i had never served before and was making shot like i couldn't believe and soon i was up 5-4 which seems impossible to me and then finished the match with 3 aces to close the game.

You were in the mystical place between the future and the past that the pro's and many sports psychologists call, "The Zone"...
You just had a mystical, deep spiritual experience.

arunstennis
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
i wont lie in high school i ended my freshman year on a sour note loosing a jv #1 singles match to a complete pusher. i had lost the first 7-5 set due to cockyness(which got me this season) and in the second set i came out with a mad vengence and won 6-0 in less than 15 mins(no exageration i aced the kid almost the whole time on my service games) and then their coach decided to be a d0ucher and said play a tiebreaker and i lost it and i threw my rackets and just stormed off the court but i learned my lesson and have now become a little calmer and also learned to respect your opponents since with that loss still i went 17-3 on jv#1 and v#3