PDA

View Full Version : Div Iii Tennis Question???

arunstennis
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok so I am going to be a sophomore in high school next year and I would like to think that I am a descent player who just has to work on some minor flaws on my backhand and slice/kick serve. I was wondering and im not just saying this hypothetically, How good could I be after playing almost 30 hours a week. And back to the subject of this topic would it be good enough to get me to play tennis at NYU my dream school!!!

arunstennis
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
note i went 17-3 combined on jv#1 singles and varsity #3 singles and our #1 was a state qualifier

eeytennis
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok so I am going to be a sophomore in high school next year and I would like to think that I am a descent player who just has to work on some minor flaws on my backhand and slice/kick serve. I was wondering and im not just saying this hypothetically, How good could I be after playing almost 30 hours a week. And back to the subject of this topic would it be good enough to get me to play tennis at NYU my dream school!!!

30 hours a week is a lot and while i have no idea how you play right now, since you are only a sophmore you would probably improve enough to definitely be able to play on the NYU team. So practice a lot and get good grades!

arunstennis
06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
30 hours a week is a lot and while i have no idea how you play right now, since you are only a sophmore you would probably improve enough to definitely be able to play on the NYU team. So practice a lot and get good grades!

im a player who is rehabilitating after getting destroyed in his last usta tourney. its not all my fault(i hate to make excuses but.....) i played a lot of weak servers and when i went back to usta i had problems returning the #3 and #19 ranked kids serves and lost 0 0 to the #3 and 4 3 to the #19 but normally i put up a good fight and have about a 2 to 1 win ratio and my gpa is 3.9 and i took the SAT out of NUMATS which is a northwestern program in the mid-west and i got a 1800 on the SAT as a freshman

acehole
06-15-2009, 04:35 PM
if you can play 30 hrs a week you could damn near make yourself a pro if you are doing it properly. you need to structure your practices, maybe 3 practice drills & skills sessions for each competitive match. start playing mostly people that are going to beat you. and if you play 30 hours a week, be conscious of physical weaknesses and fitness to avoid injury. also, no excuses -- solutions. if you can get a coach, even once a week, to tell you what you can improve and how - that would help. record yourself playing and study it. work hard and you will get there.

arunstennis
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
if you can play 30 hrs a week you could damn near make yourself a pro if you are doing it properly. you need to structure your practices, maybe 3 practice drills & skills sessions for each competitive match. start playing mostly people that are going to beat you. and if you play 30 hours a week, be conscious of physical weaknesses and fitness to avoid injury. also, no excuses -- solutions. if you can get a coach, even once a week, to tell you what you can improve and how - that would help. record yourself playing and study it. work hard and you will get there.
ya i have a coach, i self-analyze my game, and i strive to make every stroke the best though i wont lie my backhand is pathetic but i have made it a goal this summer to make my backhand a shot that i dont avoid. i find it very hard to find people that can consistently hit the ball with me. so in lieu of not having anybody good to hit with i choose a shot of the day today i spent 1 and a half hours serving from the deuce side and aiming for the T and it took me that long to keep getting them in and then i left. this week im not going to play much since during the day i have volunteering at THE CLEVELAND CLINIC lol!!!

eeytennis
06-16-2009, 05:24 AM
ya i have a coach, i self-analyze my game, and i strive to make every stroke the best though i wont lie my backhand is pathetic but i have made it a goal this summer to make my backhand a shot that i dont avoid. i find it very hard to find people that can consistently hit the ball with me. so in lieu of not having anybody good to hit with i choose a shot of the day today i spent 1 and a half hours serving from the deuce side and aiming for the T and it took me that long to keep getting them in and then i left. this week im not going to play much since during the day i have volunteering at THE CLEVELAND CLINIC lol!!!

You live in a big metropolitan area and you can't find anyone that can hit with you? Am i missing something?

arunstennis
06-16-2009, 05:29 AM
You live in a big metropolitan area and you can't find anyone that can hit with you? Am i missing something?

no i live in cleveland, where most people think playing video games is more fun/important than tennis but i do have a couple people to hit with that are good and can keep the ball and play. but i am doing a couple camps at cleveland state(qualified for NCAA mens tennis tournament) and baldwin wallace. im into the clev. state one since their mens coach will be running it. so overall i think my best opponents are ahead of me this summer(other than USTA).

also i dont live in cleveland i live in a suberb 10 miles out of downtown cleveland but there is a big difference between my city and cleveland since we have blue ribbon schools

egn
06-16-2009, 06:14 AM
What are you planning on majoring in that would help a bit.

I don't know much about the tennis at NYU but I know about what you need in terms of academics.

Talk to the athletic director actually first before and figure out what you might need as some schools have different requirements for athletes.

Now if you want to be a guarantee acceptance here is what you should aim for.

-SAT Scores over 2000 (preferably 2100+)
-2-3 SATII over 650 though this might not be necessary depending on your major.
-GPA 4.0 (that means avg roughly 95+)
-Difficult High School Courses (don't max out, but take those necessary. Depending on if your school offers AP or IB you will have to figure it out, AP wise 5 is a good solid number for NYU don't take 9 and do bad in all 9 they would much rather see 5 where you maintain a steady 90 avg and get a 4 or 5 on than 9 where you get a bunch of Bs and maybe Cs and don't even pass.)
- Do Community Service. NYU is actually a sucker for this.
- Sports team. (you have that covered lol)

That can get you into most prestigious universities on the level of NYU..not counting ivys though as nobody as of late figured out how you can get into an ivy it seems to be very random.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
06-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Grades, baby, grades.

I am hoping you are figuring in the culture shock of starting a new school, trying to play team tennis, and starting to live in NYC on a daily basis.

Right now 30 hours is a lot of "straight tennis", vs. putting together a study group for the SATs/boards (which ALSO could look good in the "life" column).

If you are going to be doing all that work- Maybe more endurance and less court time (saves your hand/grip) and everyone could stand more running ability- speed and distance.

10isDad
06-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Ok so I am going to be a sophomore in high school next year and I would like to think that I am a descent player who just has to work on some minor flaws on my backhand and slice/kick serve.

It'd be better to be a decent player, not a descent player...:)

nocompromise2009
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
no i live in cleveland, where most people think playing video games is more fun/important than tennis but i do have a couple people to hit with that are good and can keep the ball and play. but i am doing a couple camps at cleveland state(qualified for NCAA mens tennis tournament) and baldwin wallace. im into the clev. state one since their mens coach will be running it. so overall i think my best opponents are ahead of me this summer(other than USTA).

also i dont live in cleveland i live in a suberb 10 miles out of downtown cleveland but there is a big difference between my city and cleveland since we have blue ribbon schools

or they are crying over the tribe, cavs, and browns and dont have time for tennis haha, as my cousin says haha (Im a cleveland native):)

nocompromise2009
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
do u by chance live in columbia station??? or around it

arunstennis
06-16-2009, 01:40 PM
to answer all your questions

no i dont live in columbia station(but im not sure where it is)
i took the SAT as a freshman for NUMATS as menioned and got a 1600 actually just checked but it doesnt really count since it was a talent evaluation but its good since by the time im a junior it will be way higher hopefully =)
i have a 3.86 gpa(final report card came today so i was .4 off)
and i volunteer and will have 100 hours completed after freshman year

now does this hold well for me getting into NYU to play tennis??? and yes i plan on taking 5 of the 7 AP's my school offers

Swissv2
06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
to answer all your questions

no i dont live in columbia station(but im not sure where it is)
i took the SAT as a freshman for NUMATS as menioned and got a 1600 actually just checked but it doesnt really count since it was a talent evaluation but its good since by the time im a junior it will be way higher hopefully =)
i have a 3.86 gpa(final report card came today so i was .4 off)
and i volunteer and will have 100 hours completed after freshman year

now does this hold well for me getting into NYU to play tennis??? and yes i plan on taking 5 of the 7 AP's my school offers

From the sounds of it, you have an intense schedule. 5 of 7 AP classes may be difficult - so if you do well in those courses (plus do well in tennis) you have a shot.

arunstennis
06-16-2009, 05:32 PM
From the sounds of it, you have an intense schedule. 5 of 7 AP classes may be difficult - so if you do well in those courses (plus do well in tennis) you have a shot.
ya thanks im not sure i will take all of them if i get in early but i know im taking atleast 2-3 my junior year but my senior year is still in the air since i might take ap calc and ap english or just enjoy my last year :). but ya i plan on majoring in business and/or law

Swissv2
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
ya thanks im not sure i will take all of them if i get in early but i know im taking atleast 2-3 my junior year but my senior year is still in the air since i might take ap calc and ap english or just enjoy my last year :). but ya i plan on majoring in business and/or law

My buddy is currently taking classes at HBS, and I can definitely say its quite challenging ;)

arunstennis
06-16-2009, 06:09 PM
My buddy is currently taking classes at HBS, and I can definitely say its quite challenging ;)
oh ya i cant wait but im just really ready to step up my tennis game and then focus big time on academics(i put academics first but its summer so i wanna sorta chill haha)

egn
06-16-2009, 08:02 PM

ap calc is fun though =]

Well you will also get a good idea of what you will get on your sats when you take you psats in your sophomore year if your school has them.

arunstennis
06-17-2009, 04:32 AM
ap calc is fun though =]

Well you will also get a good idea of what you will get on your sats when you take you psats in your sophomore year if your school has them.
haha as mentioned above :evil: i have taken the SAT for NUMATS which is run by northwestern, they allow students who score very high on standardized state tests to take the SAT or ACT and i got a 1600 on the SAT(forget the 1800 i was wrong about that)