PDA

View Full Version : Good Tennis and Law Programs

nocompromise2009
06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey i was just wondering if anyone on TW has played or plays for the Georgetown Hoyas tennis team, for men or womens. JUst trying to see how the program is, now that im looking at colleges i want to go to a school with a good tennis program and a good law program as well. if anyone has a idea of a good college with a good law program and tennis program, let me know. My first choice is Georgetown, but im open to other ideas. Thanks

beamjayman
06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Check out BYU

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Washington and Lee

nocompromise2009
06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
i looked at BYU, not really liking them but ill have to check out Washington and Lee

duso
06-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa, Marquette, Miami, Ohio State. Any of the Ivy's that have a law school.

nocompromise2009
06-17-2009, 06:04 AM
thanks that is a lot of schools to consider

duso
06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I can narrow it to one. Marquette. This is a lawyers law school. Highly regarded in the country. Also 1st class tennis facilities. You won't go wrong here.

nocompromise2009
06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
I can narrow it to one. Marquette. This is a lawyers law school. Highly regarded in the country. Also 1st class tennis facilities. You won't go wrong here.

well duso i will deff have to check it out

SVP
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Two schools in California: Stanford and UCLA.

National rankings: Stanford tennis- top 10. Stanford law- top 5
UCLA tennis- top 5. UCLA law- top 15.

SVP
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought I'd throw these additional tidbits in:

UC Berkeley (aka Boalt Hall) School of Law: top 10. UC Berkeley tennis: it breaks my heart to say this, it's only top 50 maybe.

University of California at Davis, California, Martin Luther King School of Law: The name of the law school is close to my heart. There is much diversity of student body in the law school. But lest you think that it's some flunky law school which had to relax its "standards" to admit people of color, let me assure you that its reputation is very reputable. Tennis ranking: reputable, Div. 2 level.

goober
06-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey i was just wondering if anyone on TW has played or plays for the Georgetown Hoyas tennis team, for men or womens. JUst trying to see how the program is, now that im looking at colleges i want to go to a school with a good tennis program and a good law program as well. if anyone has a idea of a good college with a good law program and tennis program, let me know. My first choice is Georgetown, but im open to other ideas. Thanks

Well since you are going to be an undergraduate, I don't think that that having a good law school is really a necessary requirement in choosing a college. If you do well as an undergrad you can get into the law school you want as long as the school you went to has a decent reputation.

ttbrowne
06-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Do yourself a favor and check out the University of Tulsa. A great tennis facility and a great law school.

goran_ace
06-24-2009, 06:03 AM
I've played at Marquette a few times (in same conference) and their tennis facilities are nowhere near top notch. They don't have an outdoor stadium because they are located in the city and the weather is horrible for most of the tennis season. They have 6 courts in an old building that also houses their rec center.

I've also played against Tulsa and they do have a really nice tennis center.

Undergrad program doesn't really matter for pre-law unless you want to get into an Ivy. Just get good grades.

nocompromise2009
06-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Well since you are going to be an undergraduate, I don't think that that having a good law school is really a necessary requirement in choosing a college. If you do well as an undergrad you can get into the law school you want as long as the school you went to has a decent reputation.

you know i totally forgot about that, im looking at penn state now and maybe georgetown for law. anyone know how good penn state tennis is?? Facilites(sp?)? know anyone who went to PSU?

SVP
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
you know i totally forgot about that, im looking at penn state now and maybe georgetown for law. anyone know how good penn state tennis is?? Facilites(sp?)? know anyone who went to PSU?

Good point Goober and others. I would add that going to an undergraduate institution in the hopes of getting into that institution's prestigious law school may put you at a disadvantage. Typically, such law schools like to pick their students from a variety of places. They don't like to choose from their undergraduates, unless they're really exceptional.

Raindown
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
My advice, as a current law student, is to make sure your undergrad school is reputable academically and to get great grades. If you want to get into a top law school, you may have to reconsider your priorities. Law school admissions is no joke.

nocompromise2009
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
you may have to reconsider your priorities

and by this u mean????

runningmann
06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
emory

10 char

GoDawgs2011
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Step 1: Pick a good undergrad school - if you think you can get a high GPA, then a quality state school (top 25 in public schools) is fine and you can save some money. i.e. a 3.0 from Harvard = 3.8+ from Ohio State. Remember that law is a very prestige based profession and the safe way out is always to go to the most prestigious school possible.

Step 2: Keep a high GPA

Step 3: Get a good LSAT score

Step 4: Determine what region you want to practice in - this is crucial. If you go to a top 14 law school, they are national schools, but everywhere else is regional, although I feel that schools ranked 15-20 have a larger region than 20-50, which have larger regions than 50-100, and so far down the line.

I go to a law school in the 30's but in the state I want to practice in. I also happen to go to the same undergrad as my current law school.

My final piece of advice is that if your ultimate goal is to get a J.D., then how good a tennis program is shouldn't be high on your list.

To the person who said Emory, Emory is nice but really expensive and doesn't have a Division 1 sports program so if tennis is a priority, then I would look for other options.

dancraig
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Consider Duke.
I didn't attend, although I did take my LSAT there. :rolleyes:

nocompromise2009
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Step 1: Pick a good undergrad school - if you think you can get a high GPA, then a quality state school (top 25 in public schools) is fine and you can save some money. i.e. a 3.0 from Harvard = 3.8+ from Ohio State. Remember that law is a very prestige based profession and the safe way out is always to go to the most prestigious school possible.

Step 2: Keep a high GPA

Step 3: Get a good LSAT score

Step 4: Determine what region you want to practice in - this is crucial. If you go to a top 14 law school, they are national schools, but everywhere else is regional, although I feel that schools ranked 15-20 have a larger region than 20-50, which have larger regions than 50-100, and so far down the line.

I go to a law school in the 30's but in the state I want to practice in. I also happen to go to the same undergrad as my current law school.

My final piece of advice is that if your ultimate goal is to get a J.D., then how good a tennis program is shouldn't be high on your list.

To the person who said Emory, Emory is nice but really expensive and doesn't have a Division 1 sports program so if tennis is a priority, then I would look for other options.

Thanks for the advice...here the answers to your steps

step 1- I live in PA, have a 3.2 career GPA (ill be a junior this coming fall) looking at PSU and Pitt

step 2- as i said above 3.2 career GPA, but planning on pushing myself even harder to get it around a 3.5-3.8

step 3- cant really answer that haha

step 4- i want to practice in the washington dc area, want a fed job (U.S. Attorneys Office) or DOD or DOHS somewher along those lines

gettting a J.D. is my main goal, tennis is not my main priority but i would rather go to a prestige law college and have a crappy tennis team but if i could find a prestige law college with a decent tennis team that would be the best. Tennis is not my overall focus(although i do put alot of time into it), persusing my dream job is.

oh yeah, at the start of my sophomore year i took the PSAT and got a 1400 out of 1600. I didnt even have a calculator. just to put in your minds

Raindown
06-24-2009, 09:03 PM

I agree GoDawgs and highlighted some of his/her points. There is a lot of 'homework' to be done when considering law school. You may ultimately change your mind about your career path, but I like you started to plan ahead.

By reconsidering your priorities, I wanted to dispel the ease at which earlier posters eluded to regarding law school admissions.

dancraig
06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University_School_of_Law

Although I didn't attend Duke Law, I did take my LSAT there. :rolleyes:

nocompromise2009
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I agree GoDawgs and highlighted some of his/her points. There is a lot of 'homework' to be done when considering law school. You may ultimately change your mind about your career path, but I like you started to plan ahead.

By reconsidering your priorities, I wanted to dispel the ease at which earlier posters eluded to regarding law school admissions.

ahh i see now what u mean. im pretty much set of this career path. i love this type of work. (tried out my schools mock trial team, and loved it haha). im still looking for a good undergrad school and law school but i have aobut a year to decide and go visit some. like i said before education is my main priority and tennis is second. i would never put education behind tennis.

nocompromise2009
06-25-2009, 10:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University_School_of_Law

Although I didn't attend Duke Law, I did take my LSAT there. :rolleyes:

lol i looked at duke and really didnt like it tho lol

j/w how did u do on ur LSAT

dancraig
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
lol i looked at duke and really didnt like it tho lol

j/w how did u do on ur LSAT

It was over 25 years ago, I scored at the 74th percentile. As I recall, that meant I scored better than 74% of the people that took the test, 1% below the top quartile.

nocompromise2009
06-25-2009, 11:58 AM
It was over 25 years ago, I scored at the 74th percentile. As I recall, that meant I scored better than 74% of the people that took the test, 1% below the top quartile.

nice, did u persue ur law career?

dancraig
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
nice, did u persue ur law career?

Nope, closest thing I got to a law degree was a B.A. in Political Science.

nocompromise2009
06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Nope, closest thing I got to a law degree was a B.A. in Political Science.

ahh i see i was looking at poly sci myself

dancraig
06-25-2009, 06:26 PM
ahh i see i was looking at poly sci myself

Get the J.D.. You can do it.

max
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
. . . but make sure you really know what lawyers do with their day!

I was accepted to a top 20 law school but turned it down after talking with a dozen or so lawyers and judges (and having some practical work experience with a few lawyers). A couple of my college buds became lawyers. . . and immediately hated it and worked schemes to get out. Make sure you know what it's all about.

Atown
06-26-2009, 06:31 AM

Penn State's men's team is pretty good. They've gone to the NCAA tournament a number of the past few years, and won a round in 2007-08 (at which point they had to play top-ranked Virginia). They finished ranked #38 (#1 in the Northeast). This past year they did not make the NCAA tournament and finished ranked #54.

Penn State's women's team is not very good. They are not ranked in the top 75 and the team seems to be at odds with their head coach. Things do not seem to be going in the right direction for them.

Penn State's facilities are nice. The Tennis Center has 4 indoor courts (Plexipave), 6 outdoor hard courts (relatively poor condition), and 6 Har-Tru courts. They also have a very nice seven court (outdoor hard) lighted facility which includes a stadium court (it seats about 1,000 people) and a clubhouse.

Atown
06-26-2009, 06:32 AM
. . . but make sure you really know what lawyers do with their day! ... Make sure you know what it's all about.

Very good advice!

ClarkC
06-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Step 1: Pick a good undergrad school - if you think you can get a high GPA, then a quality state school (top 25 in public schools) is fine and you can save some money. i.e. a 3.0 from Harvard = 3.8+ from Ohio State.

Have you seen any recent articles about the grade inflation at Harvard and some other prestige schools? A 3.0 at Harvard means you put out a minimum of effort.

Data from a National Association of Scholars article (http://townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2009/05/06/fraud_in_academia):

At Brown University, two-thirds of all letter grades given are A's. At Harvard, 50 percent of all grades were either A or A- (up from 22 percent in 1966); 91 percent of seniors graduated with honors. The Boston Globe called Harvard's grading practices "the laughing stock of the Ivy League."

I guess your post is kind of an indirect recommendation for Harvard, in that it shows how much people overrate the place.

nocompromise2009
06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Get the J.D.. You can do it.

thanks, im sure i can do it too.

and im dead set on being a lawyer, im actually job shadowing a lawyer for my grad project and have to spend 30 hrs with him. plus i get to see a murder trial too. i spent a day with him already and enjoyed and cant wait to start the 30 hrs. (This Fall)

wow seems like PSU does have nice place for tennis players. really have to consider that. PSU is about 4 hours away, maybe i should go give it a visit next summer.

Raindown
06-26-2009, 03:11 PM

I was accepted to a top 20 law school but turned it down after talking with a dozen or so lawyers and judges (and having some practical work experience with a few lawyers). A couple of my college buds became lawyers. . . and immediately hated it and worked schemes to get out. Make sure you know what it's all about.

That is good advice. While it is true some, probably many, dislike the lawyer work after getting out of law school, a JD can open many other possibilities. I know people who in all types of fields, from marketing to the motion picture industry.

nocompromise2009
06-26-2009, 04:57 PM
That is good advice. While it is true some, probably many, dislike the lawyer work after getting out of law school, a JD can open many other possibilities. I know people who in all types of fields, from marketing to the motion picture industry.

wow i didnt kno a JD could do more than just law

nocompromise2009
06-28-2009, 01:36 PM
okay i know that there is some lawyers, or atleast people that took the LSAT on this thread. can someone explain what this means, it is confusing the crap outta me haha

http://www.lehigh.edu/~incpp/students/preLaw.html

Raindown
06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
okay i know that there is some lawyers, or atleast people that took the LSAT on this thread. can someone explain what this means, it is confusing the crap outta me haha

http://www.lehigh.edu/~incpp/students/preLaw.html

What about it is confusing? the LSAT part or the pre-law quasi major that they are talking about?

nocompromise2009
06-28-2009, 02:37 PM
What about it is confusing? the LSAT part or the pre-law quasi major that they are talking about?

like how it is saying they dont have a pre-law major but they have pre-law students and how if ur going to be pre-law to attend the pre-law orientation?? i know that you can major in anything, if i went to LU i would do either business or poly sci. any help would be awesome cuase this looks like a great university with a great tennis team but cant understand what they are trying to say

Raindown
06-28-2009, 02:50 PM
like how it is saying they dont have a pre-law major but they have pre-law students and how if ur going to be pre-law to attend the pre-law orientation?? i know that you can major in anything, if i went to LU i would do either business or poly sci. any help would be awesome cuase this looks like a great university with a great tennis team but cant understand what they are trying to say

I briefly read it. The school seems to be using the term 'pre-law/pre-law students' as a general term for -students planning or interested in going to law school.

You may want to shoot them an e-mail to clarify to see if students are officially labeled with that title or if it just used as a vocabulary term.

Raindown
06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Also note that they do say engineering is popular as, to my knowledge, the one area of law that does require a certain undergraduate education is patents.

dancraig
06-28-2009, 03:38 PM

They don't have an "official" pre-law major. Any student planning on attending law school can be considered pre-law, and it seems like they have a specific program to help these students prepare and achieve their goals.

nocompromise2009
06-28-2009, 03:56 PM
They don't have an "official" pre-law major. Any student planning on attending law school can be considered pre-law, and it seems like they have a specific program to help these students prepare and achieve their goals.

okay yeah thats what i was thinking that it was a group or a club or somthing that helped prepared for the LSAT and law school

nocompromise2009
06-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Also note that they do say engineering is popular as, to my knowledge, the one area of law that does require a certain undergraduate education is patents.

well i really dont plan on working with patents, want a federal job, maybe a fed attorney

Alessandro
06-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Hi guys...since I will graduate next spring and I will have some residual eligibility to play in a graduate school, can u write me the names of some good law school (or any graduate school that can be related to politcal science) that is NCAA Divison II ....thanx !

SVP
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Good advice. The vast majority of lawyers never do even one jury trial. Most lawyers don't even go to court on even pretrial matters. If it's trial experience you want, go into criminal law and become a prosecutor or if you really want a challenge, become a criminal defense attorney for a public defender's office. (Prosecutors get good at asking at trial "Officer, what happened next?")

New law school graduates often go for the big bucks working for a big fancy law firm. You get the perks, catered gourmet lunches, on-the-premises gym, shower, and bedroom, but, company limo, but you're going to need all these perks to get through the 10 hour workdays including weekends. You spend your time writing research memos for the partners, not exactly the most rewarding work.

Working for the government can be a good thing. Better hours, you can have a life outside of work. And it can be rewarding.

goran_ace
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi guys...since I will graduate next spring and I will have some residual eligibility to play in a graduate school, can u write me the names of some good law school (or any graduate school that can be related to politcal science) that is NCAA Divison II ....thanx !

I can't think of any top tier law schools that are in DII, but there are some great law schools that are DIII such as NYU, U of Chicago, WashU (St. Louis).

That said, if you plan to go to law school you should also plan on giving up playing on the tennis team. I cannot stress enough how important it is to study hard and get good grades as a 1L (first year law student). You could maybe be a graduate assistant or a volunteer assistant coach if you want to be a part of the team, but if you have the time to commit to being a player on the team you aren't studying enough.

nocompromise2009
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Good advice. The vast majority of lawyers never do even one jury trial. Most lawyers don't even go to court on even pretrial matters. If it's trial experience you want, go into criminal law and become a prosecutor or if you really want a challenge, become a criminal defense attorney for a public defender's office. (Prosecutors get good at asking at trial "Officer, what happened next?")

New law school graduates often go for the big bucks working for a big fancy law firm. You get the perks, catered gourmet lunches, on-the-premises gym, shower, and bedroom, but, company limo, but you're going to need all these perks to get through the 10 hour workdays including weekends. You spend your time writing research memos for the partners, not exactly the most rewarding work.

Working for the government can be a good thing. Better hours, you can have a life outside of work. And it can be rewarding.

yeah thts why i want to work for the government b.c there is still alot of work but not as a firm would have you work and i was planning on stop playing college tennis b4 law school to focus but still do some weekend USTA tourneys

SVP
09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
yeah thts why i want to work for the government b.c there is still alot of work but not as a firm would have you work and i was planning on stop playing college tennis b4 law school to focus but still do some weekend USTA tourneys Just wanted to let our tennis people know: the Los Angeles County Public Defenders Office just recorded two big victories this week: two Public Defenders won two "special circumstances" cases this week in Los Angeles. "Special circumstances" means facing the death penalty or life in prison without possibility of parole. Our clients won their cases, meaning they walked out of jail, free and out of custody, whereas they faced life without parole in prison or a death sentence before trial. I just wanted to mention this because I am so accustomed to public defenders getting trashed for selling out their clients.

bluetrain4
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm not really understanding your question. You are applying as an undergraduate, but you want to attend a university that has a good law school?

What is your motivation? Your chances at being accepted to a top law school DO NOT increase if you were also an undergraduate at the same university. In fact many of the top law schools take only a limited number of the university's undergraduates.

I'll assume you're pretty accomplished academically since your sights are set on schools such as Georgetown. Choose the best tennis/undergraduate combination for you based on your academic and tennis skills. There are options across all NCAA divisions. Some of the previous posters have already mentioned great D1 schools. Also consider some of the top DIII tennis schools, many of which are great academic schools -- Emory, Amherst, Washington Univeristy, University of Chicago, just to name a few. Study hard, get great grades, be involved in other non-tennis activities, prepare for the LSAT and get a good score. Then, you'll be a great candidate for a good law school.

duusoo
09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I think I can add ssome opinion here. I played D1, OSU in the early 70s. Also am a practicing attorney, I primarily do estates and trusts. Graduated Drake University Law School. Just find a school you like. I disagree with some of the posts, as the law school you attend makes no difference. The top guy in our firm, he and I are also partners, makes big dollars he went to Cleveland State. We have another top women went to William Mitchell. We've fired lawyers from Columbia and Yale. Stand around with a coffee cup and talk about your days in New Haven, not going to be around long. Law is all about production and personal drive. In criminal, some guys just have a inner sense of what the weakness of the case is, they don't teach intuition in law school. My recommendation remains Marquette. University Denver also a good place.

atatu
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
All I can say is if you get into Georgetown, either undergraduate or law school, you'd be stupid not to go. By the way, I went to Maryland for law school, and I don't really recommend it, but several of my classmates did end up working for the federal government.

TennisAddict121
09-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Washington and Lee

I hope you dont play for them...otherwise we are ODAC rivals...