PDA

View Full Version : Pro Grip size

Venetian
03-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Can anyone post pics(or links) with pros gripping their racquets to show how close or far apart their fingers are to the palm? I'm trying to see if they use really small grips so that their fingers almost touch the palm, or if they have the one finger width spacing.

Lambsscroll
03-29-2005, 05:51 AM
What makes you think all of them use small grips or if all of them to use one finger width spacing? Couldnt there be a mixture in the pros?

Venetian
03-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Without trying to sound mean...Duh. That was the whole point of the post heh. To see what size their grips are.

I kind of see what your saying. You think I implied that it's general knowledge that they use small grips. But that's just what a lot of people say. I'm trying to confirm whether or not this is true.

arodnadal
03-29-2005, 06:38 AM
i also would like to know what size say fed or arod has on his racquet

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 06:47 AM
I read somewhere that Federer uses L3 and Roddick uses L4. Hewitt changes between L3 and L4.

I think the majority of pro men players uses between L3 and L4. Some use their true grip if they dont' use any overgrips, but most use overgrips and drop down one size smaller.

arodnadal
03-29-2005, 06:51 AM
sorry this may be done but does the L mean is it L3 = 4 3/4 or what

tennisnj
03-29-2005, 06:54 AM
0=4
1=1/8
2=1/4
3=3/8
4=4/8 (1/2)
5=5/8

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 06:55 AM
sorry this may be done but does the L mean is it L3 = 4 3/4 or what
Yes, L3 is 4-3/8, L4 is 4-1/2 and so on.

tennisnj
03-29-2005, 06:59 AM
L3= 4 3/8 Not 4 3/4

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 07:02 AM
L3= 4 3/8 Not 4 3/4
OOPS!! Sorry a typo on my behalf. :)

bobby
03-29-2005, 07:02 AM
4 3/4 wouldn't be L3, which is 4 3/8. 4 3/4 would be the largest, L6 if that exists.

tennisnj
03-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Gmlasam, I didn't want to put you on the spot, I know your experience on these boards showed that it was a typo on your part lol. Keep up the good work on your posts, the information in them is much appreciated by me & others.

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Gmlasam, I didn't want to put you on the spot, I know your experience on these boards showed that it was a typo on your part lol. Keep up the good work on your posts, the information in them is much appreciated by me & others.
Thanks!! :)

Venetian
03-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the great responses everyone:). But what I'm really trying to see is not what sizes each player uses, I've seen that on numerous other posts. I'd just like to see pictures of pros actually gripping their racquets to see how big or small their grip sizes are in relation to their hands. As an example: If you posted a pic of Federer gripping his racquet so that I could see if he has very little space between his palm and ring finger, or quite a bit of space, maybe more or less than the recommended "one finger width spacing". That's what I'm really trying to see. Maybe most pros play with relatively small grips, or maybe it varies from player to player like us recreational players.

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the great responses everyone:). But what I'm really trying to see is not what sizes each player uses, I've seen that on numerous other posts. I'd just like to see pictures of pros actually gripping their racquets to see how big or small their grip sizes are in relation to their hands. As an example: If you posted a pic of Federer gripping his racquet so that I could see if he has very little space between his palm and ring finger, or quite a bit of space, maybe more or less than the recommended "one finger width spacing". That's what I'm really trying to see. Maybe most pros play with relatively small grips, or maybe it varies from player to player like us recreational players.

That would be pretty difficult to determine, specially of many photos that are usually taken of them griping the racquet while they are in swinging motion, and not to mention the photos are not close up of their grip.

To really see what you are looking for is to actually have a close up photo of them griping the racquet showing the pad of the thumb and fingers.

Pros were once one of us, recreational players, and have choosen grips that are most comfortable to them over time.

I prefere using grips one size smaller than recommended grip size. I use L4 and I have very large hands for someone 6'-3". I seem to get much more whipping motion with smaller grips, plus I do use ovegrips.

Venetian
03-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Lucky guy. I'm 5'5" with small hands. I use L2 grips without and overgrip and still have a little space between my finger and palm. It's not that comfortable but they don't make a lot of racquets in L1. I've tried using 2 overgrips but that just feels awful, and smaller grips such as ComforTac wear out too quickly.

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Lucky guy. I'm 5'5" with small hands. I use L2 grips without and overgrip and still have a little space between my finger and palm. It's not that comfortable but they don't make a lot of racquets in L1. I've tried using 2 overgrips but that just feels awful, and smaller grips such as ComforTac wear out too quickly.
Not really lucky IMHO. I wish I can move around quickly like my sub 6'-0" friends. I wish I can be a better baseline player, but I can cut angles at the net very aggressively, and I have a very good serve to get some fast cheap points:).

I believe the modern game of tennis is more for the sub 6-0" players now. "sigh"

tennisnj
03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Gmlasam, funny you mention I believe the modern game of tennis is more for the sub 6-0" players now. "sigh"[QUOTE] b/c I believe just the opposite to be true. I think there will be more & more attempts to develop booming serves & less & less of the Hewitts & Federers in the PRO world. I believe too many sub 6-0" amateurs think they can have the serves of J. Johansson & Roddick when they should be focusing on the games of Hewitt & Nalbandian.

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 10:06 AM
tennisnj,

So you are saying there is hope for us 6'-3" players? :)

My observation is that players are much more aggressive on thier ground strokes and are very quick and fit to prolong a fast rally. These guys are usually sub 6'-0" players.

Having a fast serve is good, but a very good opponent can quickly return it after awhile. Roddick still has the strongest serve, but everyone seems to have caught on in taming it. So instead of pure power, he instead is serving with more placement startegy.

It is the groundstroke rallies that is the bulk of the modern tennis and having the speed and aggressivness to winning points IMHO. The baseline game is the trend now suited for the 6'-"0 players and serve and volley players suited for above 6'-0" players are a dying breed IMHO.

tennisnj
03-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Gmlasam, I think the question is, are we talking about modern 'amateur' tennis or modern 'pro' tennis? Don't worry, you & I are on the same page.

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Gmlasam, I think the question is, are we talking about modern 'amateur' tennis or modern 'pro' tennis? Don't worry, you & I are on the same page.
Hhahaha...I was referring to Pro modern tennis:)

After reading the previous posts. I can see why it is confusing:) I seemed to turned some sharp corners on the subject ;) But, I was really looking at pro tennis players in comparison to what we see now in amateur tennis. I have yet to play with anyone who is a pure serve and volley player in my local tennis area. Many are baseline players. I see this similarities in the pro circuit as well.

tennisnj
03-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Exactly. Where I play there are no pure S&Vers. And that's from skill levels ranging from 2.0 to 5.5+ I coach HS tennis in NJ both boys & girls, & find me a S&Ver (you'll have to look VERY hard) & they'll turn out to be county champ or better.

alan-n
03-29-2005, 11:28 AM

If its getting that bad, then time to go find a flat electric sander. It isnt' difficult to work with at all.... just mask of the throat of the racquet to protect it from any accidents and carefully sand away. Be patient... sand one side down a bit... then the opposite, the flat sander should does a good job keeping the surface level.... Use fine grit, 800 or more.

BERDI4
03-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I read somewhere that Federer uses L3 and Roddick uses L4. Hewitt changes between L3 and L4.
Good info gmslam. Do you know what other pros use?

gmlasam
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Good info gmslam. Do you know what other pros use?
There was a lists online that has the grips the pro uses. I will find it and post the lists.

Venetian
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Man us short guys really have to rely on serve placement. My first serve is all kick. Almost anybody can can their racquet on every first serve.

fleabitten
04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the great responses everyone:). But... I'd just like to see pictures of pros actually gripping their racquets to see how big or small their grip sizes are in relation to their hands. .

Try Google Image Search (unless you want us to do that for you).

fb

johnmcc516
04-06-2005, 05:47 AM
I am L4, but I can play with an L3.

zorg
04-09-2005, 07:04 PM
For some reasons I like grips that are a bit bigger, go figure...