PDA

View Full Version : Edberg's foot-faulting

Tennis Dunce
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Did the judges intentionally not call Edberg's chronic foot-faulting due to the fact that people paid money to watch him live (and on tv) and that if they called him on it every time people would lose interest?

I mean, as great as he was, he foot-faulted like half of the time!

hoosierbr
06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
He was called on it quite a bit, depended on the line judge. He probably wasn't called for it as much as he should have been.

Myself, I've been known to foot fault every now and then and I'm a serve-and-volleyer too. I was able to avoid the problem by taking a half step back so my foot wouldn't touch the line. I'm surprised Edberg never did b/c it does get into your head when you're serving.

Tennis Dunce
06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
^^ That's a great point. I mean, he was so well beyond the service line for his approaches you'd think he easily could have afforded to step back like 1/2 inch.

mental midget
06-16-2009, 07:11 AM
he got called on it a LOT, that's a very clear memory i have of watching his matches.

also goes against the oft-referenced but mistaken belief that he didn't toss the ball very far into the court on his serve. he was actually quite forward with the toss, however, it was further to the left than just about anyone else on tour, for obvious reasons.

bluetrain4
06-16-2009, 08:37 AM
He probably wasn't called on it every time, but it hardly went ignored. He was called for foot-faulting a LOT, sometimes multiple times in a game.

It sort of annoying for the viewer, but obviously the correct call.

suwanee4712
06-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Eddie and Mandlikova used to get called for a lot of foot faults. A lot of players didn't get called for FF's when they could have/should have been. Baseliners seemd to get by with it more. Probably because they gain less of an advantage by it. That was something of a frustrating rule that was not enforced equally.

I remember a funny moment from the 1981 Wimbledon semi when Hana got called for a foot fault. She didn't question whether or not she actually did it. But in her broken english she asked the linesman which foot she did it with so she could correct it.

The man answered, "it was your back foot." To which Hana said, "Huh? I don't have back foot. Only left foot and right foot." :razz:

Devilito
06-16-2009, 11:19 AM
lol i remember when asked about his foot faults Bud Collins said that Edberg, "might as well serve from the service line"

jimbo333
06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Well Edberg is still footfaulting a lot now!!!

I saw him play last year in London at Royal Albert Hall with Sampras and McEnroe, and Edberg was footfaulted many times!!!

gpt
06-17-2009, 01:50 AM
I remember Edberg served 22 DF's in a match. I wil look it up as I'm sure I have it in an old tennis magazine.

Tennis Dunce
06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Really gutsy, especially on the clay because the chalk spills out a little, to walk the 'razor's edge' like that. I'll never be one trillionth the tennis player as you Stefan...but dude....STAND BACK ONE MORE INCH!

jimbo333
06-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Really gutsy, especially on the clay because the chalk spills out a little, to walk the 'razor's edge' like that. I'll never be one trillionth the tennis player as you Stefan...but dude....STAND BACK ONE MORE INCH!

It's a bit late now mate!!!

If only you'd been around to tell him in 88:)

pmerk34
06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
he got called on it a LOT, that's a very clear memory i have of watching his matches.

also goes against the oft-referenced but mistaken belief that he didn't toss the ball very far into the court on his serve. he was actually quite forward with the toss, however, it was further to the left than just about anyone else on tour, for obvious reasons.

He was called for it 25 times in his 1984 US Open match against McEnroe.

Other than that he got away with murder in the big tournaments.

And he was my favorite player.

jimbo333
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Make that 83:)

jimbo333
06-17-2009, 07:02 PM
He was called for it 25 times in his 1984 US Open match against McEnroe.

Other than that he got away with murder in the big tournaments.

And he was my favorite player.

Edberg was in my opinion the best serve volleyer to watch, amazing!!!

I hesitate to say a player is underrated, but he is:)