PDA

View Full Version : What Rating Am I/What Should I Play At?

jturpin4
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey everyone. Last year was my first year playing in NTRP tournaments. Here are my results from last year:

3.5 tourney:

Won first-round 6-3 6-4 to a guy who never plays in tournament
Lost second-round 6-2 6-2 to the guy who won the tourney

3.0 tourney:

Won first-round 6-3 7-5
Lost second-round 3-6 7-5 7-6 to a guy who got creamed in the finals

Here are my results from this year:

3.5 tourney (in this tourney, the guys who signed up for 3.5 usually play in the "C's" division in our local circuit, and "C's" normally being 3.0 guys)

Won first round 4-6 6-1 7-5
Won final round 4-6 7-6 6-1

The tournaments I play in are in a totally different section than I reside in, since the section I reside in doesn't have that many NTRP tournaments, none near me, and they don't have NTRP rankings. I live on the border line basically of the Southern and M i d w e s t sections.

My next tournament is going to be next month and it is a Sectional Indoors event. I was thinking about playing 3.0 in that and see how I do. Do you think that playing 3.0 is alright? With me living in a different section and playing in the other, do I have a chance of getting bumped up?

jturpin4
06-16-2009, 05:09 AM
What do you all think I should do?

Rabbit
06-16-2009, 05:37 AM
If it's an NTRP sanctioned event, it counts toward your rating.

Rule of thumb: play as low as you can for as long as you can...

Why? You can always play up, but you can't play down.

Gh0st
06-16-2009, 06:17 AM
That's a tough one. I think 3.0 would be acceptable and you would be more likely to play more matches which will help.

It does look like you can compete at 3.5 as well. Can you sign up for both?

beernutz
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey everyone. Last year was my first year playing in NTRP tournaments. Here are my results from last year:

3.5 tourney:

Won first-round 6-3 6-4 to a guy who never plays in tournament
Lost second-round 6-2 6-2 to the guy who won the tourney

3.0 tourney:

Won first-round 6-3 7-5
Lost second-round 3-6 7-5 7-6 to a guy who got creamed in the finals

Here are my results from this year:

3.5 tourney (in this tourney, the guys who signed up for 3.5 usually play in the "C's" division in our local circuit, and "C's" normally being 3.0 guys)

Won first round 4-6 6-1 7-5
Won final round 4-6 7-6 6-1

The tournaments I play in are in a totally different section than I reside in, since the section I reside in doesn't have that many NTRP tournaments, none near me, and they don't have NTRP rankings. I live on the border line basically of the Southern and M i d w e s t sections.

My next tournament is going to be next month and it is a Sectional Indoors event. I was thinking about playing 3.0 in that and see how I do. Do you think that playing 3.0 is alright? With me living in a different section and playing in the other, do I have a chance of getting bumped up?

What is more important to you: having competitive matches or winning?

jturpin4
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I think I am going to do the 3.0. By playing in a totally different section would I still get a tournament exclusive rating or does it matter what section you play in? How many tournaments do you have to play in to get a rating?

jturpin4
06-16-2009, 09:58 AM
What is more important to you: having competitive matches or winning?

Both. My matches in 3.0 have been competetive as you can see in results above

damazing
06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
If you are a mid 3.0 you might have more of an ongoing challenge at the 3.5 level. Since you've won and lost at both the 3.0 and 3.5 level I would guess that you probably are close to a 3.3 and can sometimes beat the low 3.5's but lose to the high 3.0's. Playing the low 3.0's may not challenge you enough, and the high 3.5's should give you plenty of challenging play.