PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai Tennis Racquet Club

dexian
06-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Hello everyone!

I'll be in Shanghai starting the 1st of August.
I'll be staying in one of many Shanghai Racquet Club Appartments and would like to find hitting partners during my stay. :)

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
How did you get to stay at such a place? Is it expensive and do you have to be somehow affiliated with the Racquet Club there? Sure would like to play some over there since I do go there about three times a year.

West Coast Ace
01-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone!

I'll be in Shanghai starting the 1st of August.
I'll be staying in one of many Shanghai Racquet Club Appartments and would like to find hitting partners during my stay. :)You'll probably have more luck on a Shanghai expat message board (Google should help you find some). And just showing up at the courts there - I'm sure you can meet someone - I would expect the courts are a drawing card and there are tennis players living there. They have pros there:

http://www.src.com.cn/Shanghai_Racquet_Club/Tennis_Centre/Meet_the_Pros

Email them; tell them your level and ask them if they have anyone at a similar level.

I've been going to Shanghai for the Masters Cup and now the 1000 event. Finding places to play and decent instructors is a challenge to put it mildly. Tennis isn't very big yet - not many courts - except at Qi Zhong - almost no instructors. I wanted to go to the SRC - but it's not subway convenient from the center of the city. Good luck.

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 01:35 PM
You know, I think we should have a big board on TT with everyone's availability in different locales and levels so we can actually have a bunch of matches all over the world all the time. To try to go somewhere and then find someone to hit with ad hoc is difficult and often disappointing.

West Coast Ace
01-24-2010, 03:38 PM
To try to go somewhere and then find someone to hit with ad hoc is difficult and often disappointing.It's tough. Tennis is pretty cliquish - people tend to play with the same people. In places where tennis isn't big it's doubly tough - I was a lot better than the 'instructor' I hit with in Shanghai. And the courts were in pretty sad shape - but it was better than jogging or riding the exercise bike in the gym...

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 04:25 PM
It's tough. Tennis is pretty cliquish - people tend to play with the same people. In places where tennis isn't big it's doubly tough - I was a lot better than the 'instructor' I hit with in Shanghai. And the courts were in pretty sad shape - but it was better than jogging or riding the exercise bike in the gym...

I've been trying to convey that very sentiment to my non-tennis friends. Tennis in a foreign land with someone not so good on a court in sad shape is still miles better than jogging or riding the exercise bike. Amen!

BullDog
05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi, I am in shanghai as well through summer, email me vinshen@gmail.com. from UGA, go dawgs!!!

Tennissee
05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't think I'll be much help. I should be in Shanghai in about 2 weeks, but I'm only 3.5-4.0. Just sent two of my students there on Thursday, but they don't play. Should have screened these applicants better, but most time we're looking mainly at GPA, GRE, TOEFL, and such.

West Coast Ace
05-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi, I am in shanghai as well through summer, email me vinshen@gmail.com. from UGA, go dawgs!!!You're going to have a lot of trouble. I doubt there are many 4.5's there.

Email the Shanghai Racket Club - see above. Maybe you can hit with one of their instructors - they sound pretty good. Post here if you find any hidden gems. Good luck. And if you get homesick, there's a Hooters at the Superbrands Mall, on the river on the Pudong side. The girls are great and speak some decent English.

dexian
05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
The courts at the SRC are in excellent shape!
They have 6 like new indoor hardcourts, 6 har-tru outdoor courts and 1 central hardcourt with stands.

West Coast Ace
05-18-2010, 03:20 PM
The courts at the SRC are in excellent shape!
They have 6 like new indoor hardcourts, 6 har-tru outdoor courts and 1 central hardcourt with stands.Thanks for the update!

A few questions: a) how far from the 'center' of the city (around People's Square) is it? b) Is it easy to find people to hit with? c) Did you hit with any of the instructors?

dexian
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I'd say it's half an hour from Jing An Temple. There is a shuttle that takes you there that stops at the Kerry Center.

First of all, you either need to be a member of the SRC or know someone that is a member.

Finding a partner is not easy if you're an outsider.

I didn't get the chance to hit with the instructors yet but they have really good credentials and are VERY good.

West Coast Ace
05-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd say it's half an hour from Jing An Temple. There is a shuttle that takes you there that stops at the Kerry Center.
Thanks. That's not too bad.

First of all, you either need to be a member of the SRC or know someone that is a member.I haven't been a member - or stayed at the hotel - of any of the places I've played at in Shanghai. I've found that if you tell them you're a serious player and sincere you can arrange something. I'll start working it.

tennis tom
05-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Looks like a great place, I've thought of going there myself, hope to someday before I die.

Here's their site:

http://www.src.com.cn/

Bon Voyage!

BullDog
08-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Player there with instructor Sean, surprised he is Lebanonese and Davis Cup exp. Solid strokes, mean slices with accurate placements. Serve was not as hard as I'd expect (vs. UGA's ISNER :). Enjoyed SRC! Peaked 4.5 at UGA and it is hard to find solid 4.0 player here. Email me above address for tennis in Shanghai.

ustabaseliner
11-29-2010, 08:47 AM
hey guys

i've read these posts on and off for a few years but have never posted --- until now! i was just in shanghai vacay and contacted west coast ace (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=3969). he's definitely a great 4.0/4.5 player in addition to being a valuable local contact (getting a cheap local cell phone, other touristy things, etc.)

make sure you look him up when you're in town!

ustabaseliner
11-29-2010, 08:50 AM
CLARIFICATION:

I totally said the wrong person. I hit with:

BullDog (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=909)

Sorry about that!

hey guys

i've read these posts on and off for a few years but have never posted --- until now! i was just in shanghai vacay and contacted west coast ace (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=3969). he's definitely a great 4.0/4.5 player in addition to being a valuable local contact (getting a cheap local cell phone, other touristy things, etc.)

make sure you look him up when you're in town!

BullDog
12-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks Ustabaseliner, we had some good hit at the courts they used to held Heiniken Opens in Shanghai. Thanks for referring me to meet Phillip King, who happen to be in Shanghai and available to hit couple hours.

Phillip helped me a lot. Realized he was once coached by Mr. Eliot Teltscher, great individual who can put integrity over a match point on Masters Open.
http://cn.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Te/E/Eliot-Teltscher.aspx

dexian
03-31-2011, 02:23 PM
I'll be back in Shanghai starting 17th of May.

Anyone that wants to hit up the courts of the SRC pm me!