PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Head's Six-month outsole durability guarantee is BS!

od_sf
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I returned a pair of shoes to Head that were supposed to be covered by their six-month outsole durability guarantee. (There was even a nice little pamphlet regarding how the shoes were covered, in the box that come with them) After four months of use there was a hole in the outsole all the way through the shoe. I just got the shoes back in the mail from Head - they have declined to replace the shoes due to "excessive wear". What a bunch of crap. Are you supposed to only wear the shoes 1 hour per week in order to be covered? I played in them a few hours per week (max 6 hours per week) for a 4 month period.

Anyways, just wanted to give any potential Head shoe buyers a heads up. Their durability guarantee is a scam. They will not honor it.

If they had not offered any BS warranty at all, at least I would not have lost $14 to mail the shoes back to them.

Head has lost a customer here, never buying from them again.

http://turmeric-teas.com/head_sucks.jpg

imalil2gangsta4u
06-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Man thanks for the heads up. Is there anyone you could speak to so you can get this resolved? Thats bs if they wont give you another pair.

The_Question
06-16-2009, 07:05 PM
HEAD's durability guarantee is not covered by excessive use?? Hahahaha, what a joke!!!

od_sf
06-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I just sent TW customer service an email. I will also be calling Head tomorrow morning. What really ticks me off is that i spent $14 and 1 hour to go to the post office to mail them back.

TERRIBLE customer service on Head's part.

The_Question
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
You want to know terrible customer service? Try Wilson, it took them 1.5 weeks to call me back when I had question about their products.

Prince, they'll take the time and talk to me when I call...

od_sf
06-16-2009, 07:15 PM
HEAD's durability guarantee is not covered by excessive use?? Hahahaha, what a joke!!!

I know, that's rich right?

here's the only thing they sent back, along with the old shoes.

http://turmeric-teas.com/head_sucks2.jpg

od_sf
06-16-2009, 07:18 PM
ps: you'll notice that the form they used is not even for shoes, it is for rejecting warranty claims on rackets.

LAME!!

vndesu
06-16-2009, 07:24 PM
maybe you should try sending them to tw and get store credit?

od_sf
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
maybe you should try sending them to tw and get store credit?

Well, i have an email in to TW customer service, we will see what they say.
The thing is that Head took their sweet time sending the old shoes back, so now it has been more than 6 months since the original date of purchase. And on top of that, the idiots at HEAD failed to return my original TW receipt, which I had of course included in the package as proof of purchase and proof of when the shoes were bought.

The_Question
06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Cool!! That's their addie? I'll have to drive-by one day and check out their HQ, lol...

But really, all of these shoe guarantee are all jokes, look at Nike as another. You only get a vocher from them. You have to spend it at Niketown...

The_Question
06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah, I would call and chew them out, seriously!!

vndesu
06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
The thing is that Head took their sweet time sending the old shoes back, so now it has been more than 6 months since the original date of purchase. And on top of that, the idiots at HEAD failed to return my original TW receipt, which I had of course included in the package as proof of purchase and proof of when the shoes were bought.

dang im sorry.
thats why whenever i ship back my shoes i send them straight to tw for store credit.

then i use that mo ney to buy another pair or other stuff.
hopefully you get some money or store credit back.

od_sf
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
dang im sorry.
thats why whenever i ship back my shoes i send them straight to tw for store credit.

Yeah it would be great for TW to give me a store credit, because honestly at this point I'm not interested in a free pair of HEAD shoes. Bad customer service really gets to me, I won't even buy Penn balls anymore. Like I said, they have lost a customer for good.

Ultimately it is their loss, had they honored their promise, they probably would have made a couple grand off me in the coming years, in Penn balls alone. I go through a couple cans a week, so you do the math.

a-naik.1
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
did you make a copy of the receipt before sending it out??

od_sf
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
did you make a copy of the receipt before sending it out??

No, I really didn't think that I needed to. I guess I was wrong.
Of course I still have my TW order confirmation email with my order number.

a-naik.1
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
As long as you have one or the other, that should count, but i'm not sure... I just love how head sent you a letter in regards to a racquet instead of shoes...lol I would bring that up in a convo with them as well.

Bud
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I returned a pair of shoes to Head that were supposed to be covered by their six-month outsole durability guarantee. (There was even a nice little pamphlet regarding how the shoes were covered, in the box that come with them) After four months of use there was a hole in the outsole all the way through the shoe. I just got the shoes back in the mail from Head - they have declined to replace the shoes due to "excessive wear". What a bunch of crap. Are you supposed to only wear the shoes 1 hour per week in order to be covered? I played in them a few hours per week (max 6 hours per week) for a 4 month period.

Anyways, just wanted to give any potential Head shoe buyers a heads up. Their durability guarantee is a scam. They will not honor it.

If they had not offered any BS warranty at all, at least I would not have lost $14 to mail the shoes back to them.

Funny, I was thinking of buying these same shoes. However, after seeing this, I will not buy Head shoes.

I'm currently waiting for a voucher from Adidas for a pair of Barricade V's I wore out in 6 months.

Did you purchase these from TW? If so, perhaps they may want to chime in here.

Agreed. This is exactly what the warranty is for. It's an insult to all consumers' intelligence.

I just sent TW customer service an email. I will also be calling Head tomorrow morning. What really ticks me off is that i spent $14 and 1 hour to go to the post office to mail them back.

TERRIBLE customer service on Head's part.

Yep, not good advertising for their guarantee. I've never sent back shoes for an outsole guarantee... and I'm hoping I have no trouble with Adidas. It is a bunch of time and money wasted if they deny a warranty claim.

Dgpsx7
06-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I already don't buy anything from head because I don't like their rackets but that just put the nail in the coffin. The sheet says that the "racket" cannot be replaced because of excessive wear, that's ghetto.

tennis4josh
06-16-2009, 08:35 PM

I think you are reading it wrong. They rejected your claim due to "impact related damage". :-D

I think you should write a letter to head of their customer service along with the picture of the shoe, copy of their warranty card and their reply. Tell them that if you don't hear from them soon, then you will send this to Connon O'brien show, CNN, some newspapers and finally FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection and National Advertising Division of Council of Better Business Bureaus.

Good Luck!

-Josh

Bud
06-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Head can't even create a form that's for their shoe line.

"Our warranty technicians have determined that this racquet can not be covered for the following reasons" - Excessive wear.

How pathetic. It does not even make sense when referring to shoes. This is a freakin racquet warranty form.

Bud
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM

BTW, what does the other shoe look like?

od_sf
06-17-2009, 08:09 AM
BTW, what does the other shoe look like?

In similar condition, but without the actual hole in the sole.

Bud
06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
In similar condition, but without the actual hole in the sole.

Yeah, that's how my Barricades were. The right shoe wore through to a small hole at which point I discontinued wearing them.

Let us know how this unfolds...

ag200boy
06-17-2009, 08:14 AM
call the phone number on the bottom

anticapi
06-17-2009, 08:28 AM
No, I really didn't think that I needed to. I guess I was wrong.
Of course I still have my TW order confirmation email with my order number.

I'm about to send out my Barricades to Adidas and after reading this thread I'm going to make a copy of my receipt, just to be safe.

od_sf
06-17-2009, 08:43 AM
call the phone number on the bottom

No one answers at that number, I did speak to someone in customer service at their main office in AZ, who is taking it up to their supervisor.

I wonder if TW will respond to the email I sent them yesterday...

DownTheLine
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Head shoes are very very comfortable, but the only thing is that mine had a huge hole in them, not a sliver like yours have but pretty big hole in them within 3 weeks.

I play about 3 hours a day.

od_sf
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Head shoes are very very comfortable, but the only thing is that mine had a huge hole in them, not a sliver like yours have but pretty big hole in them within 3 weeks.

I play about 3 hours a day.

That is just crazy. You play 3 hours per day, so lets say 20 hours per week. That means you got a huge hole in your shoe after 60 hours of wear. Doesn't it seem like a pair of tennis shoes should last longer than 60 hours?

DownTheLine
06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
That is just crazy. You play 3 hours per day, so lets say 20 hours per week. That means you got a huge hole in your shoe after 60 hours of wear. Doesn't it seem like a pair of tennis shoes should last longer than 60 hours?

Was that sarcastic?

Rule26
06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Just a thought. You may want to try this approach if TW isn't able to help you: Call every single Head 800 number. Have your claim # handy and inform everyone that answers that you will be calling their 800 numbers every day on the hour until they either replaced the shoes or you have rung up a thousand dollars worth of their 800 number in calls. As well as that make sure you right down every CSR's name and extension and contact them in the same manner.

Eventhough this will probably get you the new shoes, I'm not a 100% but it seems reasonable that their durability warranty is about material defects - especially in the the seams - (stiching and glue issues).

If when you are arguing your point with them and they bring that up politely inform them "that you do not understand what they are talking about but yeah they aren't very durable if that's what you mean.."

od_sf
06-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Was that sarcastic?

No, I was being serious.

DownTheLine
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
No, I was being serious.

Yes, i agree with you then. Prince shoes are very durable, but they weight 2Lbs each it seems. I think i am going with the new Babolat shoes next time even though there known to have short durability they have that 6month warranty on them.

od_sf
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Just a thought. You may want to try this approach if TW isn't able to help you: Call every single Head 800 number. Have your claim # handy and inform everyone that answers that you will be calling their 800 numbers every day on the hour until they either replaced the shoes or you have rung up a thousand dollars worth of their 800 number in calls. As well as that make sure you right down every CSR's name and extension and contact them in the same manner.

Eventhough this will probably get you the new shoes, I'm not a 100% but it seems reasonable that their durability warranty is about material defects - especially in the the seams - (stiching and glue issues).

If when you are arguing your point with them and they bring that up politely inform them "that you do not understand what they are talking about but yeah they aren't very durable if that's what you mean.."

Yeah cheers for taking the ****.

Look, the only point I'm trying to make is that if a company doesn't plan on providing their customers with a 6 month durability guarantee, then they should not offer it as a selling point. False advertising and all that.

The_Question
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
So what's the story? Are they going to call you back and offer an answer?

BreakPoint
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Are you sure the Head Extreme model that you sent in is even covered by a 6 month warranty? According to the TW product page, it is not:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSHEAD-HMXBG.html

Whereas, the Head Prestige shoe is:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSHEAD-HMPWB.html

Is it possible that somehow the warranty pamphlet was misplaced in the shoe box?

Bud
06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you sure the Head Extreme model that you sent in is even covered by a 6 month warranty? According to the TW product page, it is not:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSHEAD-HMXBG.html

Whereas, the Head Prestige shoe is:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSHEAD-HMPWB.html

Is it possible that somehow the warranty pamphlet was misplaced in the shoe box?

It was written on there until recently. I created a post when I was thinking about buying these exact shoes a couple of weeks ago... and made a remark about the 6-month warranty.

TW removed the verbiage.

Here's the post (#4) and link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=257925

Has anyone else tried these? I'm thinking of buying a pair while I wait for my Barricade V Voucher to arrive (outsole guarantee). They seem like a great deal with their 6-month outsole guarantee for $50 :)

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/HMXBG-big.jpg

od_sf
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, they were definitely covered when i purchased them. And indeed, they came with a pamphlet to that effect in the box.

I also noticed that they are no longer covered on TW, so I'm assuming that Head has had a lot of warranty claims on this particular model.

BreakPoint
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
It was written on there until recently. I created a post when I was thinking about buying these exact shoes a couple of weeks ago... and made a remark about the 6-month warranty.

TW removed the verbiage.

Here's the post (#4) and link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=257925
Is it possible that TW put that on their product page by mistake? That in fact only the Prestige models are covered by a 6 month warranty and once TW realized their mistake, they removed the phrase from their web page for the Extreme?

Usually only the more expensive models get the warranty as some of the extra cost goes to covering the warranty, kind of like paying for insurance. For example, the Adidas Barricades have the warranty but the cheaper Tirand does not. And the pricier Nike shoes (e.g., CB 1.3) have the warranty but the cheaper models (e.g., CB 1.2) do not.

Bud
06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, they were definitely covered when i purchased them. And indeed, they came with a pamphlet to that effect in the box.

I also noticed that they are no longer covered on TW, so I'm assuming that Head has had a lot of warranty claims on this particular model.

Is it possible that TW put that on their product page by mistake? That in fact only the Prestige models are covered by a 6 month warranty and once TW realized their mistake, they removed the phrase from their web page for the Extreme?

Usually only the more expensive models get the warranty as some of the extra cost goes to covering the warranty, kind of like paying for insurance. For example, the Adidas Barricades have the warranty but the cheaper Tirand does not. And the pricier Nike shoes (e.g., CB 1.3) have the warranty but the cheaper models (e.g., CB 1.2) do not.

... Or they removed it at Head's direction when they were steeply discounted :-D

martini1
06-17-2009, 11:08 PM

I am just taking a wild guess on the excessive wear thing. They were probably talking about the wear on the shoe also shows them being used outside the court?

A lot of these warranties are very tricky. They only cover on court usage and if they see it has been used as a rock climbing shoe they may decline it.

On your case may be you were better off sending the shoe on first sign the outsole is gone and exposing the mid. I dunno.

I still prefer shoes by real shoe companies.

On a side note I have purchased a pair of B5 from Hong Kong. They don't offer the 6 mo on any shoes but they are almost 25% cheaper than TW prices. And yes, they are the real deal from a huge Adidas store! Since I don't wear my tennis shoes everyday as a walking shoe and only play 1-3 hrs max per week. There is very little chance for me to wear it out completely. I rather take the discount now than going thru the hassle to replace it.

od_sf
06-18-2009, 10:23 AM
quick update:

the "fine folks" at Head customer service in AZ agreed that indeed the shoes should have been replaced when i sent them in. They are sending me a free pair of their new Radical Pro shoes to make it up to me. Goes to show that it pays to get ****ed once in a while if you feel you've been wronged. Nice of them to agree that they messed up.

Oh, and TW customer service never replied to my email from a few days ago. A bit sad since I have spent around $1000 at TW in the past year alone.

jmverdugo
06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
maybe the people of Head read this thread or the TW's folks gave them a call... anywa, good to know they replaced the shoes.

The_Question
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Glad everything was resolved.

martini1
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
quick update:

the "fine folks" at Head customer service in AZ agreed that indeed the shoes should have been replaced when i sent them in. They are sending me a free pair of their new Radical Pro shoes to make it up to me. Goes to show that it pays to get ****ed once in a while if you feel you've been wronged. Nice of them to agree that they messed up.

Oh, and TW customer service never replied to my email from a few days ago. A bit sad since I have spent around $1000 at TW in the past year alone.

Yeah sometimes u just have to keep fighting for it...

ir0-ed
06-18-2009, 05:12 PM
From my experience (purchases outside of tennis) sometime all it needs for those complaints to be quickly assessed in your favor is to post your rants on a popular forum boards such as this and they'll take notice.

Bud
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
quick update:

Glad to hear it! :)

a-naik.1
06-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Glad to hear that you got your issue resolved!

Nanshiki
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
According to James Blake's website, he wears out shoes in a week... so consider yourself lucky. If you drag your feet around like that, you're going to wear your shoes faster.

markwillplay
06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I am glad to hear it becaue I have a pair of their prestige shoues and I absolutely love them.

zapvor
06-20-2009, 05:41 PM
my experience with head has been good. you couldve just called up one of the reps and they probably would have helped you out. but yea that sucks you went through that.

tideronthehooch
07-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I have a pair of prestige 2's that I have worn for about a month where the heel air-type capsule has cracked open . Does anyone know if that is covered by the durability warranty? Does anyone know the customer service number? I haven't been able to find it online. Thanks.

martini1
07-03-2011, 06:38 PM
And a lot of people do NOT need the 6 mos guarantee but are forced to pay for it. This is a total scam. It is only fair for people to have an option to buy the guarantee as an insurance.

BTW, excessive wear kind of relate to too much wear compare to their norm "6 mos wear" from a lab test. They don't expect you to play 10 hrs a day or wear the tennis shoes off court as a running shoe.

Donny0627
07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Man thanks for the heads up. Is there anyone you could speak to so you can get this resolved? Thats bs if they wont give you another pair.

lol nice pun haha

tideronthehooch
01-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I returned a pair pf Prestige II's to Head and they were exchanged quickly with no problems.

NJ1
01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Yeah, that's not good at all.

btw, glad Head stepped up so you can now maybe stick with them.

Bud
01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
dang im sorry.

Is that true for all shoes bought from TW? I always ship my Adidas Barricades back to Adidas.. and they surely take their time replacing them. My last replacement pair took 2 months to arrive.

yonexpurestorm
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM
when i sent my addidas back to them they gave me a warranty card with the wrong address and i had to call in and find out what happened. they took care of the situation though and sent me some shoes asap.

kingofstring
01-22-2012, 07:51 AM
I bought two pairs of head shoes and wore them out I am waiting to send them back until 5 months so they do not give me the excessive wear penalty. haha