PDA

View Full Version : Why did Agassi fire Brad Gilbert as coach?

theagassiman
06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Never watched Agassi live as he was before my time.
So why did he fire Gilbert as coach?

samster
06-16-2009, 07:59 PM
He got tired of winning?

Nanshiki
06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/2429672/Agassi-and-Gilbert-separate.html

Draw your own conclusions.

theagassiman
06-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks a lot Nanshiki.

Looks like Agassi left Gilbert cos he wanted to wind down.
Maybe at such a late stage in his career, he wasn't willing to work so hard mentally any more.

But I'm just assuming....

Bud
06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Never watched Agassi live as he was before my time.
So why did he fire Gilbert as coach?

Fire is a word with a negative connotation. It implies the coach did something Agassi didn't like and thus was terminated.

It sounds more like they simply parted ways due to Agassi's impending retirement.

rod99
06-17-2009, 03:53 AM
i don't think it had anything to do with agassi winding down his career. he still went at it 100% until his back took him down. i think agassi just wanted a different voice to listen to. after 8 years, player/coach relationships grow a little stale.

NotAtTheNet
06-17-2009, 04:31 AM
most likely they've been together for so long, brad wanted to coach another up and comer to the slams... namely andy roddick

MichaelChang
06-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I have read from an article that said it is mainly due to the fact that Sampras defeated him in the 2001 US Open, the epic match where Agassi lost in 4 sets, no service break in the entire match and each set goes into tie break. Agassi was not happy that Gilbert can not help me beat Sampras. Simple as that.

grafrules
06-17-2009, 06:18 AM
I dont know why but one thing that I found nice was there were obviously no hard feelings. When Gilbert was commentating during Agassi matches later in his career you could tell he was still a huge Agassi supporter. I think the two remained close friends even after the breakup.

Moose Malloy
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
My theory: Steffi

She looked in pain while listening to Brad chatter non-stop during matches.
Eventually she moved to different sections. You couldn't find 2 more different people. Imagine how awkward having dinner with this guy all the time must have been.

Andre & Steffi hooked up at the end of '99, had their 1st kid at the end of '01.
Brad was fired in early '02. She looked at lot happier sitting next to Cahill.

And Agassi certainly wasn't winding down his career at the end of '01, he won the AO in '03 & regained #1 later that year. He retired in '06, so Cahill was with him for 5 years, not an insignificant amount of time in pro tennis coaching.

most likely they've been together for so long, brad wanted to coach another up and comer to the slams... namely andy roddick

Gilbert didn't coach Roddick until summer '03. He didn't coach from Agassi until then. He joked about it on the air during that time sometimes - I remember him saying "Safin, I'm available!"

When Gilbert was commentating during Agassi matches later in his career you could tell he was still a huge Agassi supporter.

He sounded a little sad when doing some Agassi matches for espn in '02/'03. I remember him saying he expected to coach Agassi 'for life" in '01. This was not a mutual decision at all.

I also think this was also about Hewitt, he was #1 in '01, Cahill left him at the end of '01 and joined Agassi soon after.

hoosierbr
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
According to Gilbert in his second book I got your back he and Andre had been together 7 years and were just tired of each other, had accomplished a lot together and it seemed like a natural time to move on. Seems logical to me. Whether Steffi was a part of it or not I'm not sure.

I do know that Gilbert wasn't popular with Agassi's dad. Nor was Darren Cahill for that matter. And that's according to Mike Agassi himself.