PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from the Atlanta, GA area who can help me?

Medved
06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I am around a 4.5 level mens tennis player trying to choose a city to relocate to. I am interested in finding out what tennis programs are available. Specifically Iím trying to figure out how many singles flex leagues are available and what people usually have to pay for court time after all the fees. I donít need exact answers that would hold up in court. Iím just trying to get a general idea which is very difficult to do from afar. If you could fill me in on any information like this I would be most grateful.

jwr1972
06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I play 3 different flex leagues plus ALTA(doubles). Ultimate tennis, leaguetennis, and peach tennis are the names. Ultimate tennis costs $35 for 7 matches but the matches are closer geographically and more competitive. League tennis is $20(singles or doubles). Peach tennis is $15. Check out their websites. Good luck and have fun in ATL. Best place on earth for tennis in my opinion.

amarone
06-18-2009, 03:22 AM
With respect to your court fees question, I don't think I have ever paid for court time on a per-use basis. Many people play out of their subdivisions or apartment complexes which have courts. For example, my subdivision of 350 hourses has 4 tennis courts. We pay $700/yr homeowners fees, which gets us use of the courts, pool, lake plus pays for other common subdivision costs.

There are many public parks with courts and I think they are cheap. I have seen signs for $10/hr, I think. Courts are plentiful.

Stewball55
06-18-2009, 03:30 AM
We have pretty good programs here in Charlotte. Challenge ladders, flex leages..etc. I am in a challenge ladder right now and there are 50 guys!!! I think there is like 40ish in 4.5.

investorofmercy
06-18-2009, 04:35 AM
There is also T2, which is like k-swiss but doubles. So that makes 5 flex leagues. T2, K-Swiss, USTA, Peach and league tennis. Plus Alta, USTA which there are ways to play year rd. Atlanta has mens leagues in Summer and Winter as well as combo, mixed, seniors etc. the the surraounding areas....for example. I live in Gainesville and we have NEGTA USTA as well which has men's leagues in Fall and Spring. So it's all tennis, all the time for me! I play in over 100 league matches per year.

Sublime
06-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Just make sure you move into a neighborhood or apartment complex with courts. Its actually pretty hard to find a neighborhood in the north outer metro area (alpharetta/cumming or north gwinnett) that doesn't have at least 2 tennis courts.

I don't know about league or peach, but kswiss has rules that even if you play an away match where fees are charged, you only have to pay like $5 and the home player has to cover the rest. So just make sure your home courts are free and you won't really have to worry about fees.

spot
06-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I play out of Dekalb Tennis Center- for flex leagues you pay $3 an hour per person for court time. But there are lots of free courts around though there can be a wait for the free courts that have lights. You can plan in a virtually unlimited number of flex leagues and there is both ALTA and USTA for doubles. (Alta is huge here) You can literally play as much tennis as you can handle.

jgn1013
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
kswiss (ultimate tennis) is the best singles flex league, although it's a little pricey $35/season the drives to play matches are less than 5 minutes.

amarone
06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
kswiss (ultimate tennis) is the best singles flex league, although it's a little pricey $35/season the drives to play matches are less than 5 minutes. This is by no means guaranteed - it depends on where you live and the level you play. The last time I played, one of my matches was a 45 minute drive away, and I live in a relatively hot-spot for tennis.

jgn1013
06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
This is by no means guaranteed - it depends on where you live and the level you play. The last time I played, one of my matches was a 45 minute drive away, and I live in a relatively hot-spot for tennis.

Sorry, also depends on your level and does not include playoff matches. They higher level you are the less players available in your area.

Gemini
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I can't speak to the singles leagues aspect since I mainly play tournaments outside of general hitting but paid courts are pretty reasonable all around the city for the most part. They range between $2.50 and $6.00 per person per hour depending on where and when you're trying to play. Also, there's a decent tennis center in almost every nook and cranny of the city. Piedmont Park TC, Blackburne TC, Dekalb TC, GlenlakeTC, Sandy Springs TC, Bitsy Grant TC are just a few that come to mind, but there are some public parks that have "free" courts as well: Underwood Hills Park, Central Park, Shady Valley Park to name a few.

porchdoor
06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I can't speak to the singles leagues aspect since I mainly play tournaments outside of general hitting but paid courts are pretty reasonable all around the city for the most part. They range between $2.50 and $6.00 per person per hour depending on where and when you're trying to play. Also, there's a decent tennis center in almost every nook and cranny of the city. Piedmont Park TC, Blackburne TC, Dekalb TC, GlenlakeTC, Sandy Springs TC, Bitsy Grant TC are just a few that come to mind, but there are some public parks that have "free" courts as well: Underwood Hills Park, Central Park, Shady Valley Park to name a few.

Don't play at Central Park at night. There are some crazy bums that hang around there at night. Like, actual crazy homeless men.

Gemini
06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Don't play at Central Park at night. There are some crazy bums that hang around there at night. Like, actual crazy homeless men.

LOL!!! Well..I play there at night most of the time because I can only play after leaving work. Yes. There are lot of homeless people in that general area in particular but I've never had any issues I couldn't handle.