PDA

View Full Version : I could never watch a Guga match for too long

LetFirstServe
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I really liked watching him play but I could only take so much of that grunt. I know many of you think thats the coolest thing about him.

Not so bad on grass and some hard courts where its faster and depending on the opponent rallies were shorter, the grunt wouldn't kick in as fast when Guga had to hit a lot while running.

Its too bad I had to go back and forth on clay esp french open. Even though I liked watching that threating backhand and that spin everywhere. I always had to tune back in to watch the second half of the last set.

!Tym
06-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I really liked watching him play but I could only take so much of that grunt. I know many of you think thats the coolest thing about him.

Not so bad on grass and some hard courts where its faster and depending on the opponent rallies were shorter, the grunt wouldn't kick in as fast when Guga had to hit a lot while running.

Its too bad I had to go back and forth on clay esp french open. Even though I liked watching that threating backhand and that spin everywhere. I always had to tune back in to watch the second half of the last set.

Oh my Gawd, yes! I thought I was alone in this. I could NEVER stand watching Guga play or say Sharapova either for the same reason...the SOUND, and *not* the volume of their grunts are like grating metal cheese on a chalkboard to me.

Loud grunts? Thomas Muster grunted plenty loud, but I actually LIKED the way that sounded in the bedroom...pardon, tennis court. It sounded savage and MANLY, like a caveman beating a rock with a stick for no other reason. *He was the man I aspired to be.*

Bruugera's grunt was higher-pitched, but didn't annoy me for some reason.

Most player's grunts I honestly don't even notice or care. Seles' grunt NEVER bothered me one iota.

That cutie patootie Brieto girl or whatever's grunt I honestly didn't even notice, I just thought she looked a little cutesy in a good little Catholic school girl kind of way.

But Sharapova's grunt literally sends shivers down my spine. I don't even have to hear it to get nightmares. It's not a grunt, it's a high-pitched, SQUAL, a SHRIEK, like the tires on your suv spinning out of control on a wet slick of ice head first into a brick wall...PLEASE take me out of my misery!

Sharapova's grunt is the worst sound I have EVER heard in my life.

Guga's grunt is #2 for me. I don't know how anyone could ever stand to watch him because of that grunt. I never got how or why I was the only one it seemed who found the LOW-pitched MOAN and GROANING sound of that grunt to inspire a sickening feeling inside.

Honestly, to me, I think the reason why I found the sound of grunt so shiver inducing was because it's the kind of sound, the tone, the pitch, your stomach makes when you've got diarrahea, or that feeling in your throat when you're about, right when you...throw-up, vommit, eww.

It's the EXTREME low-pitchedness of it, the GUTTARAL sound of it, that always made him impossible for me to watch for long. Hicham Arazi made a similar sounding grunt, but for some reason it didn't bother me. I think it was more because Arazi's grunt didn't last as long, wheras Guga's was as looooong and drawn out as his strokes, as a giraffe's neck.

To me, if Guga had a Michael Jackson type grunt, that tee-HEE! style sound, then for some reason, I think that'd suit his facial features better and I'd not have found his strokes so off-putting to look at.

Cah you imagine it now? Guga hits a smoking backhand down the line..."tee-HEE!"

Now, THAT would have been cool!

35ft6
06-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I really liked watching him play but I could only take so much of that grunt. I know many of you think thats the coolest thing about him.Quote one person who said that's the coolest thing about him.

LetFirstServe
06-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Quote one person who said that's the coolest thing about him.

Not online here, but I heard stupid things like that. I havent been here that long so I dont bother going into the 100+ reply threads. Don't make me use the forum search here either...its sucks.

thejackal
06-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Guga's grunt is the coolest thing about his game

:)

Sentinel
06-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Strange, I've seen so many Guga (and Sharapova) matches, and i've hardly noticed their sounds. In the case of Maria, I do hear it, but after the first 2 or 3, i must be switching it off unconsciously.

Guga, i honestly don't even remember his grunt. I am about to see a Guga vs Corretja match -- lets see his grunt.

CEvertFan
06-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Kuerten's grunt never bothered me and I actually really liked Seles' grunt but Sharapova's grunt isn't a grunt, it's a shriek, and for me it's like nails on a chalkboard.

35ft6
06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Not online here, but I heard stupid things like that. I havent been here that long so I dont bother going into the 100+ reply threads. Don't make me use the forum search here either...its sucks.You made an assertion, I just wanted an example. I've never read anybody here saying Guga's grunt was the best thing about him. Thought maybe you had.