PDA

View Full Version : UCLA tennis player in coma

SVP
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
UCLA tennis player, Jake Fleming, a redshirt freshman last year, suffered a brain injury as a result of being attacked after a concert in Dallas last weekend. He is presently in a medically-induced coma. Thoughts out to him and his family.

duso
06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh my God!

Prayers to him and his family and friends.

subaru3169
06-17-2009, 07:21 PM
oh man.. hope he comes out of it ok

WARPWOODIE
06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Wishing Jake a speedy and full recovery...

http://blog.cmt.com/2009-06-18/praying-for-jake-fleming-a-rascal-flatts-fan/

tenniscrazed
06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
This is one of the saddest stories I have read. I hope the power of the internet brings whoever did this to their proper place.

jaggy
06-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I hope for a full recovery, good luck.

goober
06-20-2009, 11:03 AM
They have a arrest warrant for the suspect

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/plano/stories/062009dnmetuclaarrest.853a357.html

Apparently he is a former high school football player.

subaru3169
06-20-2009, 04:03 PM
hopefully it's him and the media continues to update

SVP
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Any good Christian folk who'd like to post a message of support?

atatu
06-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Wow, the kid went to Plano West HS...rich kids school, all they care about is football though...

Fedace
06-25-2009, 07:16 AM
UCLA tennis player, Jake Fleming, a redshirt freshman last year, suffered a brain injury as a result of being attacked after a concert in Dallas last weekend. He is presently in a medically-induced coma. Thoughts out to him and his family.

How or why was he attacked ?? was it a robbery attempt or a fight over a argument ?

atatu
06-25-2009, 07:23 AM
The guy has turned himself in and is claiming self defense.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/DN-fightarrest_23met.ART.State.Edition2.4ab3cd9.html

Swissv2
06-25-2009, 07:25 AM
How or why was he attacked ?? was it a robbery attempt or a fight over a argument ?

according to the reports, it seemed to be an unprovoked attack.

ClarkC
06-26-2009, 06:22 AM
I am glad that some progress has been reported for Fleming, but it has been slow. He and his will be in our prayers. Must be very tough on his parents right now.

Bab01At
07-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Success Jongen...hartelijk.
Hope he gets out of it soon.

babs

john4545
07-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Prayers are with him.

SVP
07-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I originally posted this thread to elicit support for a young, talented tennis player and his family. I am pleased with the expressions of support.

My purpose was also to express a note of caution when it comes to our young children. We as parents may think our children are protected by their status, e.g., scholars, superior athletes, etc., but their lives are so fragile and suceptible that they may be snuffed out in an instant. This is not meant to be a judgment on Jake's actions.

gonzo2000
07-19-2009, 04:20 PM
My prayers to jake and his family. This is a tragedy.

tennismom42
07-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I originally posted this thread to elicit support for a young, talented tennis player and his family. I am pleased with the expressions of support.

My purpose was also to express a note of caution when it comes to our young children. We as parents may think our children are protected by their status, e.g., scholars, superior athletes, etc., but their lives are so fragile and suceptible that they may be snuffed out in an instant. This is not meant to be a judgment on Jake's actions.

Is he out of the coma yet?

subaru3169
07-23-2009, 06:35 AM
any updates??

Fee
08-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Any good Christian folk who'd like to post a message of support?

Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists aren't allowed to send good wishes for his recovery? No need to send this link to Justin then (UCLA alum and former player).

Update: http://dailybruin.ucla.edu/stories/2009/jul/20/tennis-player-steadily-recovers/

Joeyg
08-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Fee,

Since they deleted the "Standford" thread I haven't heard much from you. Hope all is well!

joeyg

Skywalker91
08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh no, I hope he gets better soon!

SVP
08-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists aren't allowed to send good wishes for his recovery? No need to send this link to Justin then (UCLA alum and former player).

Update: http://dailybruin.ucla.edu/stories/2009/jul/20/tennis-player-steadily-recovers/
I was trying to be derisive. (See prior posts of mine) Sorry. It backfired apparently. I was bemoaning the lack of response to this tragic incident at the time.

goober
08-06-2009, 05:53 AM
update:

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/08/ucla-athlete-seriously-injured.html

Mike Cottrill
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
The man accused of throwing a sucker punch that left a college athlete Jake Fleming in a coma will not face jail time.
Chancellor Hutcheson and his attorneys accepted a plea deal Thursday as jurors moved into the fifth hour of deliberations.

Read more myFOXdfw.com: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/071411-no-jail-time-after-alleged-sucker-punch#ixzz1S7oMM9EW

tball2day
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Wow, Hutcheson's father came off as a snake oil salesman. ick.

dennis10is
07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I am confused. Did the UCLA tennis player swung first?

Were both parties drunk? Were both behaving like *****holes.

Basically, if Flemming got drunk, got into a fight, took the first puch, all the fault is with the other person?

socaltennnis
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Umm, the UCLA player didn't even swing.

Basically what happened was the verbal argument finished. Both parties went their own ways. As the UCLA player and his friends went to their car, the other guy and his friends came back and "sucker punched" the UCLA player in the back of the head and ran off. Honestly, I would say don't trust this article and what the defense is now saying two years later. Everything that happened two years ago was documented by several news articles back then with statements from people who were there and those links are in this thread as well. I never read a single article that reported "self-defense" as from my understanding the argument ended and both groups went their own ways.

Although I can't be sure if any of the articles are honest accounts of what happened, I am ashamed that Chancelor Hutcheson would try to spin the story two years later with this self defense story. Again, I never even read a news article before this one about both guys engaging in a fight. And wasn't Chancellor Hutcheson the one who was evading arrest the morning after. Just bringing back information that might have been forgotten over last two years.

tball2day
07-14-2011, 04:58 PM

tball2day
07-14-2011, 05:00 PM

goober
07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Chancelor Hutcheson was slated to play college football- not sure if he ever ended up playing. As I recall reading articles at the time he was bragging to people he took down Jake with one punch.

I think it was pretty evident from the news story that the thought the trial was not going well and there was a high chance they could lose the case so he took the plea deal and quite a nice deal it was - community service, no felony on his record. I wonder if a civil lawsuit is coming down the pipeline?

goober
07-15-2011, 01:20 PM
After a quick search it does appear Chance Hutcheson is on the football roster of MidAmerica Nazarene University. This a small private christian college in the mid_west. I wonder how a player pleading guilty to assault fits in with the christian values of the school and how such a player can represent the university?

bluetrain4
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
The man accused of throwing a sucker punch that left a college athlete Jake Fleming in a coma will not face jail time.
Chancellor Hutcheson and his attorneys accepted a plea deal Thursday as jurors moved into the fifth hour of deliberations.

Read more myFOXdfw.com: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/071411-no-jail-time-after-alleged-sucker-punch#ixzz1S7oMM9EW

If there was no physical altercation and there was no self defense, just a sucker punch after a verbal argument, then it's time for a private lawsuit.

tball2day
07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Civil suit city.

The Christian school thing is probably part of the cover as well. "He's such a good boy..." Ya, right.

Rob_C
07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Civil suit city.

The Christian school thing is probably part of the cover as well. "He's such a good boy..." Ya, right.

That depends on the plea. If he plead no contest, he's immune from civil damages.

polski
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM
That depends on the plea. If he plead no contest, he's immune from civil damages.

Criminal law and civil law have nothing to do with each other. One is a crime and the other a tort action. Law 101 stuff. All that a nolo plea would mean is that the defendant doesn't admit to a crime, but accepts punishment.

Your statement is like saying that if a cop doesn't give someone a ticket in an accident, the at fault party gets out of paying the victim's repairs.

Regardless:
Hutcheson pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and will serve 80 hours of community service. He will also be on a form of probation and must pay a $2,000 fine.

2kJosh
07-15-2011, 07:01 PM

That's horrible he should be charged with attempted murder at least assault.

Rob_C
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Criminal law and civil law have nothing to do with each other. One is a crime and the other a tort action. Law 101 stuff. All that a nolo plea would mean is that the defendant doesn't admit to a crime, but accepts punishment.

Your statement is like saying that if a cop doesn't give someone a ticket in an accident, the at fault party gets out of paying the victim's repairs.

Regardless:
Hutcheson pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and will serve 80 hours of community service. He will also be on a form of probation and must pay a $2,000 fine.

Not sure your analogy is apt, or not.

I may have overstated the situation saying he is immune, but, in certain states, and I believe, Federally, a no contest plea does give the person certain protections in any subsequent civil action arising from that case the person plead to.

ClarkC
07-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Not sure your analogy is apt, or not.

I may have overstated the situation saying he is immune, but, in certain states, and I believe, Federally, a no contest plea does give the person certain protections in any subsequent civil action arising from that case the person plead to.

If you plead guilty, then you cannot claim innocence in a civil action. In other words, the guilty plea can be used against you in the civil action.

If you plead nolo contendere, the plea cannot be used against you in a later civil action, because you have not admitted guilt. The guilt must be established separately in the civil action.

However, that is a pretty small protection, because the civil action does not have to establish your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, only by a preponderance of the evidence. So, if you plead no contest in a criminal court, you are worried that the prosecution can establish your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, which means it should not be too hard to meet the lesser standard of guilt in a civil court.

polski
07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
^^^that is what I was trying to say, you just said it better

Regardless, the guy plead guilty

ClarkC
07-21-2011, 05:39 PM
It seems that Jake Fleming did get some fall play in last season, according to his roster page at UCLA (http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/fleming_jake00.html).

jaggy
07-21-2011, 06:01 PM
After a quick search it does appear Chance Hutcheson is on the football roster of MidAmerica Nazarene University. This a small private christian college in the mid_west. I wonder how a player pleading guilty to assault fits in with the christian values of the school and how such a player can represent the university?

Christian values gave me a laugh

andfor
07-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Generally is would not, but repentance and forgiveness are part of the Christian faith. It's hard to say what was said between the football player and the university about the incident and what he would have to do to attend the school and remain in good standing.

I don't pretend to be a theologian and am ready to be flamed.

goober
07-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Generally is would not, but repentance and forgiveness are part of the Christian faith. It's hard to say what was said between the football player and the university about the incident and what he would have to do to attend the school and remain in good standing.

I don't pretend to be a theologian and am ready to be flamed.

Interesting- Big time D1 football/basketball programs are all about forgiveness and second chances too

... as long as you have skillz!:)

ClarkC
07-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Interesting- Big time D1 football/basketball programs are all about forgiveness and second chances too

... as long as you have skillz!:)

True, and we are often cynical about their motives because they are making big money off some of these programs. However, I don't think there is any chance at all that Mid-America Nazarene is making big money off of football. As you go down the pecking order in college sports, every sport becomes a money loser, not just the smaller sports.

CharlesJScott
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
hey Jesus, I hope he will recover soon.

Mahboob Khan
08-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Has he recovered fully? Any updates?

I am a Muslim and I pray for him also.

Coach Carter
08-26-2011, 06:48 AM
I really don't see why anything was even brought up about the guy playing at a Christian (religious affiliated) school? Christians, Muslims, atheists, etc all make mistakes in judgements. Don't we have enough trouble in the world today than to try as hard as we can to tie extra stuff into mistakes or bad things?

goober
08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I really don't see why anything was even brought up about the guy playing at a Christian (religious affiliated) school? Christians, Muslims, atheists, etc all make mistakes in judgements. Don't we have enough trouble in the world today than to try as hard as we can to tie extra stuff into mistakes or bad things?

Because certain school hold their students to higher standards of ethics than others. Here I will give you a list of schools and you tell me if think there is any difference in the code of ethics expected of its students:

1. West Point
2. Podunk Community College.
3. Big public university
4. A small religious based college that has in their admission critieria "we seek all students who value moral character and personal integrity"

If you are convicted of misdemeanor assault, which of these 4 schools do you think would have repercussions? Which of these 4 do you think nothing would happen to you?

Coach Carter
08-26-2011, 11:07 AM
much of the time, it will depend on how you go about things. at the university I coached at, if you did something bad and went in with a remorseful attitude, taking responsibility for your actions...then it usually turned out alright (maybe counseling, maybe a short "suspension", maybe a combo of the like)...go in with denials or an attitude, then it could get real ugly for you, real quick. as a coach, I always suggested the first stance...throw yourself on the sword and take your punishment. I have a better shot to fix that for you than trying to bail you out of a "hole" of denials and rudeness.

at nearly any school...depending on the administration...it could get tough for the rogue athlete.

goober
08-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I completely agree with what you are saying. I just think at some schools, students are held to a higher ethical standard than at others so breaking codes of ethical conduct is a much bigger deal. A starting BYU bball player was thrown off his team for having sex with GF right before the NCAA tournament just this year. The fact that he was a key starter in probably one of the best teams that BYU has ever had did not matter. What do you think would have happened if he plead guilty to assault? Maybe it is unfair to say that this small Christian school would do the same, but it is not a stretch of the imagination that this is a more serious breech of their code of student conduct compared to what kind of things you can get away with at public institutions.