PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter Of Apology To All 4.0 Women

Cindysphinx
06-17-2009, 07:54 PM
OK, I take it all back.

All my talk this season about how the serves of 4.0 women are no big deal, that is. I take it back.

'Cause tonight I got totally schooled by two 4.0 women, one of whom used to be 4.5. They served better than the 3.5 dudes I have faced in mixed. They had good second serves. They followed their serves (and returns) to net. When you hit a good topspin dipper to them, they calmly hit a drop volley. And when you tried to lob them, they calmly fell back and *crushed* their overheads. I was aced out wide on the deuce court twice, and I rarely got a good return into play. My partner in the ad court was aced three times out wide, and neither of us could be considered slow or infirm.

You know, there was a thread in the instruction forum asking whether the women in the videos were 4.0s. A lot of people dumped on 4.0 women in general. All I can say is that these two women I played tonight (both on the undefeated 4.0 team in our league) were good. Their strokes looked good. They played the net and poached. They didn't do endless one-up, one-back.

My partner and I went down in flames, 6-2, 6-1. I am so proud of those three games we won. Making 4.0 is starting to look utterly unattainable if I need to play like these two to get there!

subaru3169
06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
wow.. then these two are THE players you want to consistently play

Cindysphinx
06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
wow.. then these two are THE players you want to consistently play

I, uh, don't think they will be taking my calls! :)

It's funny. They were very nice and complimented our good shots. We were so starved for affirmation that we didn't suck as badly as it appeared that we were happy to have the praise.

subaru3169
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
well i wouldn't count on that.. i play with this one younger gentleman who has absolutely no match experience and has only started learning how to play about a yr ago.. but damn, his shots are really good<form and pace> especially since he learned solely online.. we play quite frequently recently as he's really into the game

anyway, he has never beaten me in a set and i don't think he'll be able to beat me for a while unless he has some match experience.. but i feel it's really good experience for both of us so we can both practice what we need to work on

Topaz
06-18-2009, 03:00 AM
You know, there was a thread in the instruction forum asking whether the women in the videos were 4.0s. A lot of people dumped on 4.0 women in general.

Welcome to TTW...where a lot of 'people' dump on *women* in general. (<---expressing my digust at the 4.0 thread you mention...absolutely ridiculous stuff in there).

I kind of got schooled like that in singles when we played the first place team in our league. It wasn't so bad, though, because I looked at it as an opportunity to see how my game stacked up and what I still need to improve. And, it was a competitive match (even though the score didn't reflect it), and since I had already checked my ego at the door, even a fun match (though my butt was whipped!).

I know the 4.0s around here are *solid* players, period.