PDA

View Full Version : Luckiest shot you've hit/had hit against you

T1000
06-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Just as the title says!

One of mine was during a team practice doubles match. I sliced a serve out wide in the duce side and my friend returned it with wicked topspin. He was almost in the other court and his return put me in the court next to ours. I smacked a flat winner that caught the outside of the outside ally line.

I was in a tournament playing against a moonballer. I hit an approach shot into the backhand corner (right handed) and he hit a lob that went deep into my forehand corner. I hit a slicing tweener that went outside the court and came back and hit the corner. We both couldn't believe it.

Last one. I had a close net exchange with a kid and it was really intense. I hit a hard volley but he managed to lob it. I reached back and smacked it right at him. He was winding up and hit a swining forehand volley right at me that I delfected, but went long.

What are yours?

mikeler
06-18-2009, 05:22 AM
The luckiest shot I hit was a serve that went off the frame with a bunch of backspin, barely landed on the other side in the service box and bounced back on my side for an ace.

The luckiest shot anyone has ever hit against me was when a guy was at net and hit it to my backhand. He moved to cover the down the line backhand and I tried to hit it cross court but it went more down the middle. Without looking at the ball, he stuck his racket behind his back and the ball hit off his frame, hit the net cord and the ball trickled over on my side.

mozzer
06-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Me and my doubles partner make up names for the weird shots me make in matches. A "dink" which is like a little flat stab, a "knifer" which is a slice that skids through really low when it bounces and a "scraper" which is when someone hits it at you when you are at the net (usually a smash) and you just get a racket on it and it in.
Last night in our doubles match i was at the net and my partner hit a cross court groundstroke but their net player came across and intercepted it. Both of us net players were on the deuce side at the net. His volley was low and at my feet. I just got my racket on it and hit a half volley back passed their net player into his tramline for a winner. We agreed it was the best "scraper" we had ever done :D

P8ntballa
06-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I have 2 that I hit that were very lucky. 1) In a tourny I hit a decent approach shot, the guy I was playin hit a better lob, went runnin and decided why not go for my first tweener! Framed the shot but it went right past the guy lol! 2) This one I hit against my gf when we were practicing, my serve (playing out points.) I framed it and man did that thing go up high, my girl saw it was gonna go in so she ran up to smash it. That ball had more topspin then I had ever seen, she didnt notice that and let it bounce, kicked up right over her head! I laughed sooooo hard after that, I just couldnt stop!

4got to put the one someone hit on me. This one is really easy, one of my buds and me were playin, he pegged me pretty hard earlier on and I vowed to get him back b4 the night was done! I got my chance. Pretty overhead that I had tons of time to set up for, he went in the fettle position and put his racquet out to block his face, I smashed it at em it hit his strings and plopped back to my side! I lost the point but he still had the strings embedded in his face lol!

kimbahpnam
06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I was playing #2 singles in high school with a set down and losing 3-1 in the second when my opponent hits a lob over my head and I go for a between-the-legs shot as I'm running passed the baseline. My opponent follows his lob and comes to the net as my between-the-legs shot passes him down the line for a winner. In the mean time I ran into the steel fence and looked back to see it.
It turned the tide of the match and I came back to win the second set and the third.

Blake0
06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Luckiest shot that was hit at me) - I was playing a doubles match with my friends, and my partner served on the deuce side, opponent returns short in the corner(near where the net and singles line meet) and my partner slices the ball crosscourt, so it ends up in front of me (i'm up at net) and sidespins away so it's sorta bouncing past the pole, and the opponent runs up and hits an around-the-pole shot that lands on the doubles line and passes me. :(

Luckiest shot i've ever hit)- Playing a school doubles match, opponents double back, i'm at the deuce side and my partners at net on ad side, and we're rallying, and the opponent on the deuce side try's to hit a screaming winner past my partner, but he react volleys it and its sorta sitting a little behind the service line, and he angle slices it crosscourt, and i'm sprinting towards the ball and i barely get to it and wrist flicked it trying to go around-the-pole, but it hits the pole and shoots off and clips the doubles line on the other side. Odd but i won the point :).

Blake0
06-18-2009, 09:14 PM
My 2nd luckiest shot, would be in a singles USTA tournament, i went up to net with a good approach shot, the opponent lobs, and i start sprinting back, and he follows up to net, the ball lands on the deuce side corner, where the baseline meets the singles line, and i run up to it, and turn around overhead slammed it dtl past my opponent, who sorta was shocked. I especially enjoyed the look on his parents' faces :).

coloskier
06-19-2009, 09:06 AM
In a tournament Semifinal, on match point, I rushed the net, my opponent lobbed over the top of me. I barely caught it with the top of my racket. The ball went at least 40 feet up, and came down square on top of the net, and dribbled over the net in an unreturnable position. Game, Set, Match. :) All he could do is watch it happen. He was standing there, but couldn't hit the ball because his racket would have had to go over the net to hit the ball. The ball hit the net and just died, no bounce at all.

fortunecookiesjc
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
mine was when some kid in higschool i couldnt get past him and he kept overheading smash but i read them and was able to get three of them back and on the last 4th one he hit it crosscourt and all i really could do was slice it and i framed it. so without thinking or looking really i was like ok this is not going to happen and than apparently it had so much spin on it it curved over on top of him landing on the add side service spot.

brosamj
06-19-2009, 09:57 AM
I had set point against a guy and I hit a hard paced shot down the middle of the court. He hit a heavy ball with a lot of topspin but he framed the shot and no joke, that ball went up 60 feet into the air. Straight up. Very windy day, so this shot was headed well into the other court but it kept pulling and pulling and pulling back into the court. It seemed to take about 10 seconds for that ball to come back down. It landed right on the line. I hit a rather weak overhead and it hit a winner to get the point.

I ended up winning that set but we still joke about that shot of his to this day.

baseline08thrasher
06-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I hit a really flat shot and it bounced off the net and made it a sitter for my opponent, he decided to slice it up the line (but he could have smashed it and put it away) and it lands behind me and i scramble and lob it over him down the line!

YAY!

SoCalDominates
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
one time i was up 6-0 5-0 (so it really didnt matter) i hit a tweener off the net cord for a winner. that was lucky 1) because i dont hit tweeners so it was lucky enough it was going even close to in and 2) it went off the net for a winner

don_nguyen11490
06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
In doubles I was down 1-3 against some trash talking punk. He hits this volley cross court to the ad side while I was on the deuce side and I run all the way over topspeed and smack it back Sampras style. It was a momentum shifting point and got us back into the game which we eventually won 7-6.

THESEXPISTOL
06-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I was playing a point with a teammate during a practice and he hitted a winner shot to my forehand side opening a very good angle.. I was on the other side and he's ball was pretty fast and i ran as hard as i could and hit the ball flat and gone for a winner. Our Coach was delighted.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/279/shot1l.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/shot1l.jpg/)
Green - My winner shot
Red - Other player balls
Blue - My balls
Yellow- My deslocation

Other one was with a friend at a practice match. I was in the baseline i hit to his backhand and the ball landed short into my backhanded Side. I Ran as fast as i could and with a classy touch crossed the ball over the net so it landed in the other side.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/9490/shot2.th.jpg (http://img65.imageshack.us/i/shot2.jpg/)

FlamEnemY
06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Backhand smash, the ball landing near the sideline. Thing is, it was one of my first games ever.

kashgotmoney
06-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Running back to the baseline and a between the legs lob over the volleyers head was my luckiest shot.

luckiest shot hit against me was a serve shank that bounced on my side then hit the net without me hitting it.

mikeler
06-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Running back to the baseline and a between the legs lob over the volleyers head was my luckiest shot.

luckiest shot hit against me was a serve shank that bounced on my side then hit the net without me hitting it.

I think my lucky serve that I mentioned earlier in the thread also bounced into the net with all the backspin on it. :arrow:

DownTheLine
06-30-2009, 08:46 PM
My luckiest shot would have to been when i was playing on clay.

I hit my second serve outwide and it bounced 10-13 feet in the air over my friends head for the ace!
He says he never gets aced pshh...

brado32003
07-01-2009, 12:21 AM
At practice for high school, we were playing a doubles match, and a shot was fired at me at the net, and I popped it up cross court with so much side spin and back spin that my friend had to run around the net post onto our side and smash it!

It was our point though because he put his hand on the net post!!! HAHAHA

brado32003
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
My luckiest shot would have to been when i was playing on clay.

I hit my second serve outwide and it bounced 10-13 feet in the air over my friends head for the ace!
He says he never gets aced pshh...

HAHA I've done that before

itracbui3
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
my luckiest shot is when it was match point for me so then i served and my oponent returned with a insideout FH with great angles then i chased after the ball barely touched it, it lobbed up and landed right on the net and rolled for 5 seconds then dropped on my openent side! GAME, SET, and MATCh he was like WTF?!

Dgpsx7
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I used to slice a lot more and be a lot more dangerous with drop shots but I was still only able to pull this off twice. Slicing into the opponents side with enough backspin so it would bounce right back into my side. I can sometimes slice and make the ball die when it lands on the other side but making it come back is much harder.

ebm
07-10-2009, 02:20 PM
My luckiest shot....

My opponent serves a monster that kicks way to my backhand and draws me out to the doubles alley. I return it trying to go up the line...but I get nothing on it and end up pulling across the ball and it must have picked up some wicked side spin.

the shot flies straight and pops the tape....clearly still above the doubles alley. Then it rolls and skips down the tape toward the right and falls in on his side.

I swear it looked like it traveled the tape for at least two feet. It probably wasn't that far...it happened pretty fast....but it was definitely the luckiest shot ever off my stick.

MethodTennis
07-14-2009, 04:08 AM
not lucky but amazing skill. volly to volly in a match with this little kid 2 years younger than me i hit a lobb volly he runs back and passes me bang on the line through his legs with-out looking

Cameron
07-16-2009, 07:54 PM
ive got one that tops ALL

and i promise im not lying

i was practicing at about 7pm and it was the time of year when its dark then, i was playing a practice set and i shanked it so it went STRAIGHT up into the air... then, a bat starts banging into it like he was blind (oh haha he is) and it hit the LINE, so most likely w/o the bat it woulda been OUT...

I promise

im not kidding

it was amazing

gogeta087
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Went for a serve, but my timing was off and it hit my frame. It wasn't too fast, but it hit halfway into the service box on the outside line (deuce court) and bounced straight left into the fence. I'm talking pure sidespin, It just sprung out the few feet and I won the point. One of the few times i've ever been happy to frame a ball.

okdude1992
07-25-2009, 08:50 PM
one time i hit an approach shot in the corner and my opponent hit a pass that was going way wide but hit the scorecards and went in. that was BS lol

RoddickAce
07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I framed a half volley and somehow managed to make the ball bounce on my opponents side of the court and bounce back over the net to my side of the court.

mikeler
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
one time i hit an approach shot in the corner and my opponent hit a pass that was going way wide but hit the scorecards and went in. that was BS lol

I'm no rule expert, but I'm pretty sure you win the point in that situation.

fruitytennis1
07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
So my and a friend were playing doubles. The other guy has an amazing serve that i dinked back at the net guy. Luckly it was high enough so he gave me an easy smash. I hit the smash nice and angled off. The other guy out of nowhere sprints after the ball he flicked his wrist and let go of the racquet. The ball just dinked back over to our side and i ended up hitting it into the net.

mcutilize
07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
ive got one that tops ALL

and i promise im not lying

i was practicing at about 7pm and it was the time of year when its dark then, i was playing a practice set and i shanked it so it went STRAIGHT up into the air... then, a bat starts banging into it like he was blind (oh haha he is) and it hit the LINE, so most likely w/o the bat it woulda been OUT...

I promise

im not kidding

it was amazing

wasnt there something exactly like this in tennis magazine a couple years back

Cameron
07-28-2009, 05:16 AM
I was playing in a tournament last summer when a guy served the ball really hard at the same exact second as a bird flew past. Needless to say, the bird got nailed and exploded all over the court. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Haha... poor birdie.

Cameron
07-28-2009, 05:18 AM
wasnt there something exactly like this in tennis magazine a couple years back

My bro wrote that and I promise he didn't make it up. I don't know if it was in a tennis magazine or not, but it really did happen to him.

mcutilize
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
My bro wrote that and I promise he didn't make it up. I don't know if it was in a tennis magazine or not, but it really did happen to him.

yea its in tennis magazine ill go find which one later

2ndserveace
07-29-2009, 12:21 PM
The luckiest shot I ever hit was in practice against a guy who likes to hit drop shots and lobs all day. He drop shots me, and i run in and get it. Then he lobs me and I run back to get it. I am running straight back, about a foot behind the service line, on the deuce side when I jump in the air. It is hard to describe, but imagine I was holding my racquet down in front of my right leg, (I'm a righty) so that it was parallel with my leg when I jumped. I jumped off my right leg, and instead of rotating in the air and swinging my racquet so that it passed over my shoulder like a normal smash, I tilted my head so that it was almost touching my right shoulder, and I swung so that the racquet passes over my neck. It would've hit my head if I hadn't tilted it. My back still faced the net as I swung.

I swung hard and snapped my wrist so it was still like a smash. My smash landed about halfway up the duece service box right on the sideline and continued to spin until it hit the side fence. It had alot of pace too, so the result was alot like a slice serve out wide except I did it while leaping in the air with my back to the net. I had tried this shot before, but I had never made it until then, so it was pretty exciting.

I've seen Nadal hit this shot before too, except his wasn't a crosscourt angle. He hit it in Monte Carlo 2008 against Davydenko, and I'm pretty sure it was the first point of the game at 6-3 1-1. Later in the game Nadal also had an amazing get, but that is off topic. I tried to find a video of his shot, but the only one I found was Nadal's get. I know I didn't do a very good job describing the shot, so I hope you guys can kind of piece together what I'm talking about.

kblader
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Luckiest shot againist me was when i was playing singles and my oppoent came to the net. He hit a good volley and i strechted for it and lobbed it over him in the backhand corner. I follow to the net while he chases it down, Hits it over his shoulder, it goes crooscourt of all places and hits the line for a winner :(

DunlopDood
07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Going out, net post and then going in. I'm sure it has happened a bunch of times.