Tom C
06-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Interesting read...
www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/magazine/21nadal-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1

TennisCoachFLA
06-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Interesting read...
www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/magazine/21nadal-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1

What a great article. Rafa was always an amazing athlete, star soccer kid.....be nice to have our star kid athletes also playing tennis. Uncle Toni seems to have taken the Oscar Wegner approach, let the kid play tennis naturally and athletically, rather than like robots who all hit the same way.

Tom C
06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
It's obvious that Rafa believes in Uncle Toni but did it seem to you that Rafa depends on Uncle Toni too much? Also, I didn't realize that Uncle Toni was so into discipline... I knew about the family values, the keeping Rafa grounded feelings and work ethic but pretty strict discipline methods, no? Do we need that kind of discipline here in the States to produce Grand Slam winners?

user92626
06-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Great article! I can't believe I read thru all the pages though I just planned to skim the first one.

The Nadal clan is great. I'm a firm believer in mutual support and contribution. It's very very hard to be on your own and succeed.

Madhoshi22
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Do we need that kind of discipline here in the States to produce Grand Slam winners?

To become that good, and perform at that kind of level, day in and day out, you HAVE to have that kind of discipline, they go hand in hand. Not only in tennis, but in every other sport. Look at football (soccer) for example: Ronaldinho was touted as the world's best player, with dizzying tricks and all, he had every tool in his arsenal, however, now he parties way too much, doesn't show up at practices, and was subsequently dropped from Brazil's national squad, a great dishonor in and of itself, and is also currently benched at his club, A.C. Milan.

If you want to see how lacking discipline is in American tennis today, take a trip to a B/G 18's national tournament. You'll find some of the most unruly kids there.

BradBaughman
06-18-2009, 08:21 PM
To become that good, and perform at that kind of level, day in and day out, you HAVE to have that kind of discipline, they go hand in hand. Not only in tennis, but in every other sport. Look at football (soccer) for example: Ronaldinho was touted as the world's best player, with dizzying tricks and all, he had every tool in his arsenal, however, now he parties way too much, doesn't show up at practices, and was subsequently dropped from Brazil's national squad, a great dishonor in and of itself, and is also currently benched at his club, A.C. Milan.

If you want to see how lacking discipline is in American tennis today, take a trip to a B/G 18's national tournament. You'll find some of the most unruly kids there.

unfortunately your right that one of the greatest ingredients were missing!