PDA

View Full Version : How Hard is it to make it to a DII tennis college?

Ballinbob
06-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Hey everyone

My goal by the time i'm 18 is to make it into a DII college for tennis. I have a 3.6GPA and am currently a junior in highschool. I started playing tennis when I was 10 and I recently got rated a 4.0 from my coach (USTA certified). Anyway, would a solid 4.5 NTRP player be good enough to make into a DII tennis school if I kept my grades up?

I mean I want to be realistic, and I know that getting to the 5.0 or 5.5 level is very slim for me. However, I do think a solid 4.5 is not out of the question by the time im 18. I am almost 16 years old and have 2 more years of highschool. I know that I'm not blessed with crazy talent like some other players, but I'm a fit/athletic guy. Oh and if this helps, I am in the top 110 for juniors ranked 16- in Colorad (hopefully will break into top 100 soon)

If anyone knows any youtube videos that show DII college players playing please post them, and please any input regarding how good you have to be to make into a DII school would be appreciated. I mean I guess if I have to play DIII then that's fine, but I want to try to make into a DII school first

Thanks guys

LeeD
06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Easy 5.0 for you...you're 6'2" and growing, play tennis 5 days a week, have the general strokes and temperament to improve, and is athletic already and trained in other sports too.
Just depends whether you need to be numero uno, or can settle for just making the team. Luck is a big part of that draw. Luck as in exactly how good you get, how good the other player's are, how much you're involved with your G/F, how your body holds up, and how much you stay interested in playing serious tennis. And whether your car holds up, or you can afford to play tennis.
As a short, old fart, easy for me to make Div111 singles top 3 for CityCollege of SanFrancisco, SanFranciscoState, DiabloValleyJC, or Laney around here after 3 years of tennis. Your younger, stronger, better trained, taller, possibly as athletic, and only YOU can hold yourself back.

BorisBeckerFan
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Is there any reason you don't think you could become a 5.0 in a little over 2 years? I don't wan't to make it sound like it's easy to become a 5.0 because it's not but if you are playing at 4.0 at 15 with a lot of hard work and good instuction it's not out of the realm of possibility. The chance is as slim or as likely as the effort you put into it. I encourage you to keep training and set your goals high both in your education and in tennis.

10isDad
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
My goal by the time i'm 18 is to make it into a DII college for tennis. I have a 3.6GPA and am currently a junior in highschool. I started playing tennis when I was 10 and I recently got rated a 4.0 from my coach (USTA certified). Anyway, would a solid 4.5 NTRP player be good enough to make into a DII tennis school if I kept my grades up?

There are so many of these threads. Take the time to search a bit. The bottom line, there is no real answer to this question. Doesn't matter the division...there is a huge range of players in each division. There are D-I schools who are much weaker than many D-III schools, consequently the players are much weaker.

There's certainly no formula related to USTA ratings, especially since most colleges don't give a crap about these ratings; they care about rankings. I know of a D-II team that was absolutely horrible last year - their #1 player was about #35 sectionally in a fairly weak section. Their #s 5 and 6 were basically beginners. Other D-II teams I watched had players that could easily play for some of the better D-I teams.

If you really want to play tennis and you're willing to do the research to find the right fit, you can play. It may not be at a school you've ever thought about or even have ever heard of.

Send e-mails/letters to coaches - not to one or two, but to lots (hundreds) of coaches. Visit college websites and fill out recruiting forms - again, not one or two but dozens or even hundreds. Perhaps you'll get a bite and perhaps you'll find the perfect fit.

Ballinbob
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Easy 5.0 for you...you're 6'2" and growing, play tennis 5 days a week, have the general strokes and temperament to improve, and is athletic already and trained in other sports too.
Just depends whether you need to be numero uno, or can settle for just making the team. Luck is a big part of that draw. Luck as in exactly how good you get, how good the other player's are, how much you're involved with your G/F, how your body holds up, and how much you stay interested in playing serious tennis. And whether your car holds up, or you can afford to play tennis.
As a short, old fart, easy for me to make Div111 singles top 3 for CityCollege of SanFrancisco, SanFranciscoState, DiabloValleyJC, or Laney around here after 3 years of tennis. Your younger, stronger, better trained, taller, possibly as athletic, and only YOU can hold yourself back.

Thanks LeeD. Yeah I'm playing 6 times a week and I have lessons ever once in a while.Im not sure maybe its too early to be thinking of this stuff, maybe when I'm 16-17 ill have a better idea. thanks for the encouragement though, I hope I can make it to a 5.0. I mean I just want to set a realistic goal. I don't want to say I'm going to be a 5.5 after 1 year of playing like some crazy juniors around here. I mean i don't know if 2 years is enough to go from a 4.0 to a 5.0, but I'll put in all the effort my body can muster and we will see.

Is there any reason you don't think you could become a 5.0 in a little over 2 years? I don't wan't to make it sound like it's easy to become a 5.0 because it's not but if you are playing at 4.0 at 15 with a lot of hard work and good instuction it's not out of the realm of possibility. The chance is as slim or as likely as the effort you put into it. I encourage you to keep training and set your goals high both in your education and in tennis.

Like I said above, I have lessons every once in a while and I practice hard and with intent 6 times a week. I just want to set a realistic goal, and it seems from what I've seen that 5.0s are just damn good players, cream of the crop players. I hope I can get there, but just want to stay realistic I guess. I will keep training and working on grades, thanks for the advice:)

Ballinbob
06-18-2009, 06:32 PM
There are so many of these threads. Take the time to search a bit. The bottom line, there is no real answer to this question. Doesn't matter the division...there is a huge range of players in each division. There are D-I schools who are much weaker than many D-III schools, consequently the players are much weaker.

There's certainly no formula related to USTA ratings, especially since most colleges don't give a crap about these ratings; they care about rankings. I know of a D-II team that was absolutely horrible last year - their #1 player was about #35 sectionally in a fairly weak section. Their #s 5 and 6 were basically beginners. Other D-II teams I watched had players that could easily play for some of the better D-I teams.

If you really want to play tennis and you're willing to do the research to find the right fit, you can play. It may not be at a school you've ever thought about or even have ever heard of.

Send e-mails/letters to coaches - not to one or two, but to lots (hundreds) of coaches. Visit college websites and fill out recruiting forms - again, not one or two but dozens or even hundreds. Perhaps you'll get a bite and perhaps you'll find the perfect fit.

I'm sorry, I didn't take the time to search out a thread that was my fault. I'm not usually like that, sorry to make another thread. Seems like there's alot of research involved in this, so I guess id better start now. Thanks so much for the advice though it really helped alot, and I'll make sure to search the other threads out there

arunstennis
06-19-2009, 03:35 AM
you have plenty of time to get good to be a 5.0 or higher and its realistic

mikeler
06-19-2009, 04:07 AM
The physical part of your game is there to get to 5.0 and maybe even a 5.5 level but you probably are not getting enough formal lessons to improve your technique which may be your biggest hurdle at the moment. Lessons are expensive so I understand why. I'm a short aging fart who never would have made it to 5.0 without 4 years of twice a week (1 private, 1 group) lessons as a junior. I also received frequent beatings in junior tournaments here in Florida by Vince Spadea and others which helped me improve.

A few of my friends in high school were very athletic and I taught them how to play tennis. They were good enough based on my advice and some practice to play lines 4 and 5 on our high school team. One of them was so athletic and developed such a heavy serve that he could almost win sets off me. In fact, the last time we played about a year ago he was up 5-2 on me in the 2nd set before I came back. So your athleticism alone should help you get to a strong 4.5 level.

ssgator80
06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Do you play high school tennis in Orlando?

mikeler
06-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Bob is located in Colorado. I played high school tennis 18-22 years ago!

saeta119
06-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I was a 3.5 when I was 15, by the time I was done with high school I ended up a 5.0, went to a DIII college and played #2 singles.

you definitely have the time to make it to 5.0

Ballinbob
06-19-2009, 09:12 AM
The physical part of your game is there to get to 5.0 and maybe even a 5.5 level but you probably are not getting enough formal lessons to improve your technique which may be your biggest hurdle at the moment. Lessons are expensive so I understand why. I'm a short aging fart who never would have made it to 5.0 without 4 years of twice a week (1 private, 1 group) lessons as a junior. I also received frequent beatings in junior tournaments here in Florida by Vince Spadea and others which helped me improve.

A few of my friends in high school were very athletic and I taught them how to play tennis. They were good enough based on my advice and some practice to play lines 4 and 5 on our high school team. One of them was so athletic and developed such a heavy serve that he could almost win sets off me. In fact, the last time we played about a year ago he was up 5-2 on me in the 2nd set before I came back. So your athleticism alone should help you get to a strong 4.5 level.

Yeah technique isn't coming easy for me, but I've been trying. Your right I don't get enough lessons and I try to make up for it by researching on here, but really there's no substitute for 1on1 coaching. However, I have found a retired open-level player who has been hitting with me 3 days a week and coaching me for free, and it's been helping alot. He is old, but he knows more than me about tennis

And that's good to hear that being athletic will help. I've always been like this ever since I was in elementary school, loved to run, spent all my time outside playing tag, basketball, always staying active. And by the time I hit highschool I was on the varsity track team doing pretty good. Keeping my fitness where it is is no problem, because I enjoy running/working out

And yeah the beat downs I've received at tournaments have helped alot too like you said. You just learn alot from those really good players and you learn alot about yourself and your game.

Well I start applying to colleges late junior year, so I'll prob be making more threads on this then. By the way Mike, I'm looking to go to a school in Florida. I did a little research and I found small universities like the University of Western Florida and other small DII schools, many that I haven't heard off but seem like good schools. Always been my dream to live in Florida:)

mikeler
06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah technique isn't coming easy for me, but I've been trying. Your right I don't get enough lessons and I try to make up for it by researching on here, but really there's no substitute for 1on1 coaching. However, I have found a retired open-level player who has been hitting with me 3 days a week and coaching me for free, and it's been helping alot. He is old, but he knows more than me about tennis

And that's good to hear that being athletic will help. I've always been like this ever since I was in elementary school, loved to run, spent all my time outside playing tag, basketball, always staying active. And by the time I hit highschool I was on the varsity track team doing pretty good. Keeping my fitness where it is is no problem, because I enjoy running/working out

And yeah the beat downs I've received at tournaments have helped alot too like you said. You just learn alot from those really good players and you learn alot about yourself and your game.

Well I start applying to colleges late junior year, so I'll prob be making more threads on this then. By the way Mike, I'm looking to go to a school in Florida. I did a little research and I found small universities like the University of Western Florida and other small DII schools, many that I haven't heard off but seem like good schools. Always been my dream to live in Florida:)

That's cool that the guy is helping you out for free. I doubt he'd spend the time if he didn't think you could improve.

Those tournaments really helped me show what I needed to work on. Most of the juniors kept picking on my backhand, so I became obsessed with it. First I switched to the 1 hander and then I practiced high backhands all the time to neutralize that shot.

As for Florida, c'mon down and play tennis year round! I grew up here, went to school out of state and then came back. There are a lot of small schools here that I'm sure you could play for. My high school nemesis who was probably a 5.0+ played for some small school in Boca Raton. I went to a D1 school so I had no shot at making that team. :(

arunstennis
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I was a 3.5 when I was 15, by the time I was done with high school I ended up a 5.0, went to a DIII college and played #2 singles.

you definitely have the time to make it to 5.0

thats where i am at right now(just turned 15) maybe borderline to 4.0 and this rating i self rate myself is based off consistency if i was consistent enough(which im working on) then i would easily be a 5.0 because when i am on i really am good, 6 months ago i took a 5 star(not bluechip) recruit to 3 sets and lost 3-6 7-5 4-6. but honestly lately i have been horrible loosing 0 and 0 to a 1 star(to his credit he was ranked #3 in boys 16s) and 4 and 5 to an unrated guy but this was post-highschool season and in high school you rarely play anyone good at #1 jv and #3 or #2 singles. our #1 went to states so we had a solid team

Kedar
06-19-2009, 06:26 PM
arunstennis what state are you in?

Datacipher
06-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Don't listen to this. True 5.0 is FAR frome easy, it takes hard work and time, BUT it definitely sounds like a real possibility for you!

Don't aim for 5.0 for now. Just set the small goals, and work hard. If you do, wherever you end up, will be your best effort, and it won't be shocking if it is 5.0! I've worked with many juniors who were able to go from around 4.0 at about 16 to 5.0+

yonexxx
06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
does anyone know about what your level has to be to make it to a a lower ranked D1 school . i started playing my freshmen year and now i will be a junior in the fall. i played 2nd singles on varsity my sophmore year and i play about 5 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week and now i am playing usta right now I am about a 4.0

35ft6
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Some D-2 schools, you can play singles if you're a strong 4.5. The top schools are 5.5 to 6.0. Overall average, probably 5.0.

35ft6
06-20-2009, 12:17 PM
does anyone know about what your level has to be to make it to a a lower ranked D1 school0I've seen D-1 schools with 4.5 singles players. Fordham for example. But if a school has a ranking at all, you have to be pretty good to play singles for them. This is the guy who played number 6 singles for 75th ranked William and Mary College (75 is as far as the rankings went at the site I visited):PREP/JUNIORS
Advanced to the Virginia Group AAA semifinals in singles each of his final three seasons ... A semifinalist in the Virginia Group AAA doubles tournament as a senior ... A three-time Beach District and region singles champion, becoming the first player in 17 years to accomplish the feat ... Won the district and regional doubles championship in 2007 ... A career record of 72-1 against regional opponents during his high school tennis career ... Finished his high school career with an overall record of 94-4 ... Named high school MVP during all four seasons of his career ... Ranked as high as No. 79 in the USTA Rankings ... Ranked in the top 10 from 2003-07 in the Mid-Atlantic Section of the USTA ... Won USTA National Open Doubles Championship in 2003 ... Ranked No. 157 nationally, No. 27 in the Middle Atlantic Region and No. 2 in the state of Virginia according to the Tennis Recruiting Network ... Played volleyball and ran cross country in high school as well ... Recipient of the E.T. Penzold, Jr. Memorial Outstanding Metro Scholastic Menís Tennis Award from the Norfolk Sports Club in 2005, 2006 and 2007.As much as you play, assuming you improve as much as I would think somebody playing that much should improve, I'm sure you could make a D-1 team someplace. Probably not ranked team though.

Ballinbob
06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
As for Florida, c'mon down and play tennis year round! I grew up here, went to school out of state and then came back. There are a lot of small schools here that I'm sure you could play for. My high school nemesis who was probably a 5.0+ played for some small school in Boca Raton. I went to a D1 school so I had no shot at making that team. :(

Haha give me 2 years and I'll be down there for sure, can't wait to graduate highschool and get started with the college life. I dont want to get too ahead of myself here, but I'm really excited to go to college:)

Double bagel
07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't know your practice regimen, but too many players don't practice hitting the spots on their service games. Too many players are mindless ball bashers and couldn't manufacture a point to literally save their lives. Since you have the muscle memory for your strokes ingrained now, it's time to upgrade your practices and start appreciating the beauty of designing points and being two strokes ahead of your opponent.

mikeler
07-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Haha give me 2 years and I'll be down there for sure, can't wait to graduate highschool and get started with the college life. I dont want to get too ahead of myself here, but I'm really excited to go to college:)

Enjoy your high school years while you still have them. After college, you'll just be a working stooge like the rest of us...:)

coloskier
07-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Bob is located in Colorado. I played high school tennis 18-22 years ago!

I don't know of any DII school that has a tennis team in Colorado. You'll probably have to go south to find one.

Double bagel
07-07-2009, 07:02 AM
I don't know of any DII school that has a tennis team in Colorado. You'll probably have to go south to find one.

Colorado Christian University has a team...and they're terrible. If you can even remotely help them you can maybe get in.