PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake 3.5 player moving to the Bay Area wants advice

marcb
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm a men's 3.5 doubles player moving to the Bay Area from Salt Lake. I'm requesting advice from players in the norcal section. Specifically I'd like to know some of the better facilities that host league teams. There are so many more opportunities available there versus SLC I'd really like some direct, personal experiences to help guide me. I've heard that it's much more competitive than the Intermountain Section, any thoughts on that?

We haven't picked a location yet so information on anywhere from Marin County out to Walnut Creek would be helpful. Most likely not going down the penninsula.

Thanks for your help!

burosky
06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
This is easy. Go to www.ustanorcal.com. On the left side place your cursor on Leagues then click on Adult Leagues. Click on the Green Box of links. Scroll down to the Search Tools and click on Find a team. Scroll down to adult leagues and click on the 3.5 league. Sort the listing by area. The area you are referring to are MA (Marin) and DN (Diablo North).

marcb
06-18-2009, 10:30 AM
This is easy. Go to www.ustanorcal.com (http://www.ustanorcal.com). On the left side place your cursor on Leagues then click on Adult Leagues. Click on the Green Box of links. Scroll down to the Search Tools and click on Find a team. Scroll down to adult leagues and click on the 3.5 league. Sort the listing by area. The area you are referring to are MA (Marin) and DN (Diablo North).

Thanks, yeah that's exactly what I did plus look at some of the facility info. There's just so much available I thought I could get some insider info.

Enlightened Coelacanth
06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Santa Rosa has several nice clubs. Marin is active but costly (just like in everything else). But in my opinion Sacramento/Davis is where the action is in Nor Cal (though I guess it's outside your
parameters).

cak
06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Club Sport Valley Vista in Walnut Creek is a big club with lots of players, so they would be able to find folks at your level. This season they fielded three men's 3.5 teams. (And they usually have some team in the running for playoffs.)

If you are looking for lower cost, the city of Walnut Creek has a tennis center, which has a fairly vibrant tennis scene and hosts lots of USTA teams. In general, at public courts like that, you have to find the teams, rather than the private clubs where the pros assign you a team.

I haven't heard anything about the north bay clubs.

As for Sacramento/Davis, well, I couldn't even find any M3.5 teams in Davis.

ohplease
06-18-2009, 03:59 PM
The bay area is typical in that the strongest teams at each level are typically built from the ground up to compete for sectionals/nationals/etc. Those teams are almost always organized around public parks instead of dedicated tennis specific facilities.

Why? Tennis club memberships simply aren't as nimble or flexible with their rosters, comparatively. Dedicated clubs (SFTC, clubsport, etc.) will usually field a reasonably competitive A team, than a beer league B team, but even the A teams have a hard time competing against the public park squads.

If you have no life, and you REALLY want to go deep in the playoffs, hedge your bets by joining multiple teams. You could play for 4 separate teams in SF, the peninsula, and east and south bay, for example - and you only need to pick from you multiple teams if more than 1 gets to district level competition. Yes, there are some locally well known folks who join multiple public park teams every year in different districts, across not just men's season, but also combo and mixed. No, people joining 6 or more teams a year isn't that unusual around here.

You really need to decide where you're going to live first. After that, go team shopping by emailing the captains at norcal.usta.com at your level, in your district, and find the squad that fits what you're looking for best. I'd avoid specifically signing up for a dedicated tennis club membership right away, unless you're really interested in lessons or intraclub leagues.

hammer
06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Club Sport Valley Vista in Walnut Creek is a big club with lots of players, so they would be able to find folks at your level. This season they fielded three men's 3.5 teams. (And they usually have some team in the running for playoffs.)

If you are looking for lower cost, the city of Walnut Creek has a tennis center, which has a fairly vibrant tennis scene and hosts lots of USTA teams. In general, at public courts like that, you have to find the teams, rather than the private clubs where the pros assign you a team.

You probably won't have too tough of a time finding a team at the WC Tennis Center at Heather Farms. Most of them hold practices once a week during the evening. You can also ask the person working in the clubhouse during the evenings. He's pretty knowledgable about who's captaining which team, and when they generally hold practices. The tennis center has multiple teams at the 3.5 and 4.0 levels, and similar to what a previous post said, there's one or two teams that are geared for playoffs, and a third or fourth that play for fun, so you should be able to find a team that suits you.

The tennis center and Valley Vista have a friendly (public vs. private) rivalry going, and you almost always see teams from those two places battling each other in the playoffs. There's really a lot of good, friendly people playing out of both places. One of the best parts about playing in the Diablo North league is that you get a chance to play in some posh country clubs like Round Hill or Moraga, which are nestled in the East Bay hills and valleys. I don't know a whole lot about Marin, but from what I experienced in districts and sectionals, it's a weaker league than Diablo North.

If you want to be on a team that tends to go to districts each year, you can try joining the team that plays out of Benicia (in the Napa/Solano league). That league is fairly weak, and since Benicia plays on public (high school) courts, they recruit players from Walnut Creek to help them reach districts.

TennisDawg
07-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm a men's 3.5 doubles player moving to the Bay Area from Salt Lake. I'm requesting advice from players in the norcal section. Specifically I'd like to know some of the better facilities that host league teams. There are so many more opportunities available there versus SLC I'd really like some direct, personal experiences to help guide me. I've heard that it's much more competitive than the Intermountain Section, any thoughts on that?

We haven't picked a location yet so information on anywhere from Marin County out to Walnut Creek would be helpful. Most likely not going down the penninsula.

Thanks for your help!

Man, Congrats for movin out of a Tennis Dead Zone. I lived in SLC for about 3 years, Tennis is one big clique after another, there. The happening in SLC was Liberty Park and even then it was tough to break-in to the scene. I gave the game up for awhile, then luckily moved to another State. Good luck in Calif.

mika888
07-26-2009, 02:57 AM
How about in the peninsula area? Are there any? Thanks