PDA

View Full Version : Interesting League Match Last Night...

SlapShot
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Had an interesting go of things at my 4.0 match last night. Played singles for the first time this season (I spent the weekend playing singles with a 4.5 friend to get ready).

After my first service game, on the changeover, my opponent says "There's no way that you're a 4.0", to which I respond "No, I'm actually a computer-rated 3.5, but I've argued the same thing you are with the USTA, and they won't budge." We continue with the set, I break and hold to go to 4-1, and then break to go up 5-1. During that game, I put away 3 sitters with authority, and I hear the guy say to his captain (playing on the court next to me) "This guy is a 5.0 - did you see that last ball?"

On the set changeover, he says "It's not even worth us playing - you must be bored." I didn't respond, because anything I said would likely throw gasoline on the fire. He also said "Just so you know, we're going to dispute this match because you're clearly out of level," which is entirely not true - I'm 12-3 this year, but haven't really had many lopsided scores, and have had a handful of 3 setters. He then proceeds to move into the court when returning serve, and I stop hitting anything but kickserves because I don't want to be the jerk that hits the guy with a first serve.

I looked up his record this morning to see if he was usually a pretty good player and was just having a bad day, and he's won 2 of his 7 4.0 matches this year, and has lost in singles in straights every time.

Ugh. It's league tennis folks, not life or death...

JoelDali
06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
See the thread about what to do 'when you're superior' a few weeks back. I had the same issue.

I've come to realize that the USTA league thing is somewhat of a joke with all the idiotic things like this, the bogus computer rankings, people complaining during changeover (my guy said "I'm trying not to hate you"), threats of DQ ETC ETC.

I think its downright disgusting that out of 100+ players in the league in my area or any on my OWN team have signed up for ANY of the 10+ tournaments in their league division level this year. Too cheap? Don't care? I don't know the answer.

blakesq
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Slapshot,

What you ran into is the classic "sore loser". Don't let it get you down.

blakesq

Had an interesting go of things at my 4.0 match last night. Played singles for the first time this season (I spent the weekend playing singles with a 4.5 friend to get ready).

After my first service game, on the changeover, my opponent says "There's no way that you're a 4.0", to which I respond "No, I'm actually a computer-rated 3.5, but I've argued the same thing you are with the USTA, and they won't budge." We continue with the set, I break and hold to go to 4-1, and then break to go up 5-1. During that game, I put away 3 sitters with authority, and I hear the guy say to his captain (playing on the court next to me) "This guy is a 5.0 - did you see that last ball?"

On the set changeover, he says "It's not even worth us playing - you must be bored." I didn't respond, because anything I said would likely throw gasoline on the fire. He also said "Just so you know, we're going to dispute this match because you're clearly out of level," which is entirely not true - I'm 12-3 this year, but haven't really had many lopsided scores, and have had a handful of 3 setters. He then proceeds to move into the court when returning serve, and I stop hitting anything but kickserves because I don't want to be the jerk that hits the guy with a first serve.

I looked up his record this morning to see if he was usually a pretty good player and was just having a bad day, and he's won 2 of his 7 4.0 matches this year, and has lost in singles in straights every time.

spiderman123
06-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Enjoy the great compliments you received. Make sure he wins even less games against you next time.

Ask if the computer dropped him to 3.5 after his last match against you, then run away.

Atown
06-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Ask if the computer dropped him to 3.5 after his last match against you, then run away.

LOL!

10 chars

JavierLW
06-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Ya, sounds like you ran into a sore loser.

What gets me is that he was saying that after the first game even.

That tells me he convinced himself that he was going to lose and nothing you would of done for the rest of that match (short of going berzerk and playing horrible and letting him back in) would of changed his mind about that.

It's no wonder he's 2-7.

Douggo
06-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I like threads like this where I can be an internet snoop and find out who it was and say "yeah, I've played that guy".

Good win. As everyone has said, don't worry about sore losers.

SlapShot
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I like threads like this where I can be an internet snoop and find out who it was and say "yeah, I've played that guy".

Did you play against him?

What I found the most rude was the fact that he simply quit playing. It's fine if you feel that a person is "sandbagging" or whatever you want to call it, but at least be mature enough to put in the effort. I personally play tennis for enjoyment and exercise. If the enjoyment wasn't there, I wouldn't play.

Douggo
06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I played him a couple years ago in a Nicollet league. Somewhat similar experience, though he and I were more evenly matched than you and he apparently were: he got frustrated easily, if I recall correctly.

beernutz
06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
After the whiner started whining I think I would have asked him right then what his record so far that year was. If he told the truth or won't tell you at all, that should probably shut him up then and there. If he lies, that would be interesting since it is so easy to verify and you'd have a fun conversation starter should you two ever play again.

split-step
06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Very similar thing happened to me last year.
In my case however, the guy had talked himself up so much about how he would have gone pro if he hadn't gotten injured etc.

So next thing I'm up 5-0 and he starts complaining about EVERYTHING. How I wasn't a 4.0, how I was taking too much time, too little time, my toss is too high, the sun is in his eyes. EVERYTHING.

Then he started quick serving me.

I won 6-0, 6-2 in under an hour. Fastest match I've played to date.
And to be honest, I wasn't playing that great. The guy just sucked.

Some people have an inflated view of themselves.

TonLars
06-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Haha yep i looked it up to, but wasnt surprised that I havent heard of him. However, I did see that the guy lost a match even more handily to someone other than SlapShot, so I wonder what kind of a show he put on that day:shock: SlapShot hits pretty big on serve and forehand so I guess he has the advantage of intimidating mice like this guy!

Hokiez
06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't for the life of me understand those people. I've had it happen twice this year.

First example this year: On the first changeover after I broke the guy on his first service game (crappy flat serve with a little pace) his first words were to ask where I played college tennis. I don't think he believed me when I informed him I started when I was 30 (I'm 34 now) as he smirked. To boot, this guy was a 3.5 and with a losing record at 3.5 at that. He's won about 10 games in four 4.0 matches.

Second example - the guy just mumbled the entire time about how at least he was getting beat by a sandbagger. Guy has a 0.500 record at 4.0 so at best, he's an average 4.0.

Oh well, just move on and take the compliment.

SlapShot
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Haha yep i looked it up to, but wasnt surprised that I havent heard of him. However, I did see that the guy lost a match even more handily to someone other than SlapShot, so I wonder what kind of a show he put on that day:shock: SlapShot hits pretty big on serve and forehand so I guess he has the advantage of intimidating mice like this guy!

That was the funny thing - my first service game, I hit all kickers. I didn't bust out the topspin serve until halfway through the first set.

I did, however, stick a few good forehand returns, which likely got him discouraged.

Either way...it's a win, the match is done, and I feel like I'm playing solid tennis now after a month long semi-sabbatical. :)

sboo
06-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Do you play your league matches at the Baseline? Anyways, congrats on the win and not losing your cool.

snowpuppy
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Sadly the NTRP system gives people something more the whine about. Funny thing is in sport I thought everyone should look to bring themselves up to the competition not bring it down to yours. If Roger Federer decides to play a 3.5 USTA league match against anybody I doubt that person will compliant because you get a chance to play against such a higher level, why can't they view other competition the same way?

saeta119
06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
The guy was obviously playing mind games, if he's losing he'll try anything to get you off your game, that's all.

next opponent!

MNPlayer
06-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Nice job on your first singles match of the season! You probably hit as hard as many 5.0 players, so I can understand his frustration. :) These type of episodes make for great stories at the bar afterwards.

I played a guy in a tournament recently who talks/yells all the time and apparently used to swear quite a bit before the USTA got on him about it. After he was down a bit in the match with me he started narrating the match outloud as he saw it. I bet was quite entertaining for the few spectators that were there.

Most guys I play are reasonably controlled and very nice though. Especially given how competitive a lot of us are.

MNPlayer
06-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Sadly the NTRP system gives people something more the whine about. Funny thing is in sport I thought everyone should look to bring themselves up to the competition not bring it down to yours. If Roger Federer decides to play a 3.5 USTA league match against anybody I doubt that person will compliant because you get a chance to play against such a higher level, why can't they view other competition the same way?

I really like this observation. Although it is frustrating to lose badly, we should really view it as a privilege to play against players much better than us. We surely learn more from it that they do! I got smoked by a very good 4.0 player a while back and he even gave me sincere advice afterwards on how to improve my game.