PDA

View Full Version : I have a friend of mine...

brosamj
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
He is a fabulous tennis player...former D1 player (1st and 2nd singles over his career). He got out of tennis for a couple of years but he is back playing and doing fabulous. He is around 5.5 right now and wins about every other tournament.

The interesting thing about him--he could care less about his shoes, racket, clothes, strings, etc. I asked him after one of our workouts which string he uses and he had no idea. He said that he bought the cheapest reel of string he could find on **** and he strings his own rackets. His wife gave him his Wilson nCode racket for Christmas when he was getting back into tennis (he had been using his old 10 year old rackets for 6 months) but he had no clue about the quality of the racket or anything. He told me though that it has taken him a while but he thinks he likes it more than his 10 year old rackets.

His shoes are worn till they can't be used anymore and then he just looks for any shoe that will give him support and cheaper. Though he doesn't care about his equipment, he would love to talk tennis strategy for hours and hours. He loves dissecting matches...but if I ever start talking about the latest and greatest in tennis technology--he gets this glassy eyed look.

Anyway...moral of the story? Either the equipment does not matter too much and you just go out and play...or the equipment matters a lot and he could be really, really good if he cared.

certifiedjatt
06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
the equipment does not matter. there is science that proves it.
obviously, going from wood to graphite was a big leap, but strings, string tensions, do not matter.

however, this forum is equipment obsessed instead of talent obsessed. which is why no one on here is anybody on the tennis circuit.

people talk about stringing their rackets at 58lb or 54 lbs. there isn't a human being alive, federer or sampras, that can detect even a 10lb difference. there's talk of nylon and gut and this and that, when these things offer at best probabilistic and marginal effects on the outcome.

a player that can beat another player 6-0 6-0 with highly customized equipment can beat the same player 6-0 6-0, with just as much ease, without the customization.

it's all nonsense. seriously.
but people refuse to test their intuition or understanding by doing experiments. they would rather not upset their comfort zones--which is understandable.

ag200boy
06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
the equipment does not matter. there is science that proves it.
obviously, going from wood to graphite was a big leap, but strings, string tensions, do not matter.

however, this forum is equipment obsessed instead of talent obsessed. which is why no one on here is anybody on the tennis circuit.

people talk about stringing their rackets at 58lb or 54 lbs. there isn't a human being alive, federer or sampras, that can detect even a 10lb difference. there's talk of nylon and gut and this and that, when these things offer at best probabilistic and marginal effects on the outcome.

a player that can beat another player 6-0 6-0 with highly customized equipment can beat the same player 6-0 6-0, with just as much ease, without the customization.

it's all nonsense. seriously.
but people refuse to test their intuition or understanding by doing experiments. they would rather not upset their comfort zones--which is understandable.

the bolded statement is 110% false

subaru3169
06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
op, you just said it though.. he's an awesome player and that's just the way it is, doesn't exactly matter too much on the quality of the gear given that it's within his range of playability

i do the same as your friend though.. i haven't the slightest idea on the new tech which my tennis buddies talk about and i couldn't care any less because i simply don't.. i just need what suits me and that's all i'll look for and/or am interested in researching about.. but i do talk about a lot of strategy and how players play whenever i see someone else playing

as for the shoes, well.. that's the only piece of clothing that i will make sure i get good stuff on because i've rolled my ankles way too many times from lack of support to cheap out.. can't play if you can't walk

Blask
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I agree that some people who match from head to toe in Fed or Nadal gear are generally not as concerned about their play compared to their looks. Some of the guys on my team still play with gear that's from the late 80's and wear regular cross training old tennis shoes. The clothes don't matter but I do think tennis shoes are best for tennis due to the support.

CertifiedJatt - the statement you made about nobody being able to tell a 10lb different in a stringjob is the most ridiculously false thing I've heard on these boards in a long time. I would bet that most people , pro or not, who play at least once a week regularly can tell when their string job is off by a few lbs.

certifiedjatt
06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
[quote=Blask;3574097
CertifiedJatt - the statement you made about nobody being able to tell a 10lb different in a stringjob is the most ridiculously false thing I've heard on these boards in a long time. I would bet that most people , pro or not, who play at least once a week regularly can tell when their string job is off by a few lbs.[/quote]

i would bet all my gear against anyone on here (especially anyone on here!) or anywhere on earth that can detect a 10lb difference.

i've done it before many a time, and have won steak dinners, a couple of rackets, concert tickets, movie tickets, a stereo system, and a few months back, a vintage leather jacket ( i returned it though, coz i felt really guilty about taking an expensive item!).

but i kid you not. you can test it out for yourself. which is what i always suggest instead of arguing over the internet. next time you're getting your rackets strung, ask the stringer to put one at 10lbs lighter than the other (provided they're identical otherwise). and tell him not to tell you which is what until after you test yourself.

in the words of lavar burton from reading rainbow, "you don't have to take my word for it."

BreakPoint
06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
^^^^

Wow! Now I know for a fact that I can detect even a 2lbs difference in tension. I recently strung my racquet 2lbs looser than usual and I could immediately tell the difference. After a couple of outings, I cut the strings out and went back to my usual tension and immediately noticed the difference.

Maybe some people don't have enough tennis experience to tell the difference? I don't know, but I think most experience and regular players can tell the difference.

If pros couldn't tell the difference, they wouldn't bother having a few racquets a couple of pounds above and below their usual tension in their bag in case the court and weather conditions change during the match.

subaru3169
06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
most definately, breakpoint.. i used to string my sticks pretty heavy as a junior at 67lbs but now at 64lbs.. i can most definitely tell the difference especially if i borrow ppl's rackets which i don't really like doing and i know ppl string theirs not as tight as i do on mine.. if ppl can not tell the difference between 67lbs and 57lbs, they must not have much training experience

certifiedjatt
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
^^^^

Wow! Now I know for a fact that I can detect even a 2lbs difference in tension. I recently strung my racquet 2lbs looser than usual and I could immediately tell the difference. After a couple of outings, I cut the strings out and went back to my usual tension and immediately noticed the difference.

Maybe some people don't have enough tennis experience to tell the difference? I don't know, but I think most experience and regular players can tell the difference.

If pros couldn't tell the difference, they wouldn't bother having a few racquets a couple of pounds above and below their usual tension in their bag in case the court and weather conditions change during the match.

the reason you're able to tell the difference is because you KNOW there is a tension difference. next time, try stringing two identical rackets WITHOUT knowing which one is strung different from your normal setup.

the reason pros are so fixed on tensions is the same reason you are. because one particular setup has worked for them, and they are fearful of making any changes. but that does not mean that their particular setup plays a causal role in their success.

thejackal
06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
just knock the 2 rackets' stringbeds, the higher pitched sound is made by tighter strings.

wheres my money jatt?

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 03:09 PM
the reason you're able to tell the difference is because you KNOW there is a tension difference. next time, try stringing two identical rackets WITHOUT knowing which one is strung different from your normal setup.

the reason pros are so fixed on tensions is the same reason you are. because one particular setup has worked for them, and they are fearful of making any changes. but that does not mean that their particular setup plays a causal role in their success.
No, it's because my shots were flying all over the place. The same exact blocked service returns against the same guy were all going long, whereas, they always stay in at my normal tension. Same stroke, same conditions. I lost control.

certifiedjatt
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
just knock the 2 rackets' stringbeds, the higher pitched sound is made by tighter strings.

wheres my money jatt?

best response.:)

VivalaVida
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
i would bet all my gear against anyone on here (especially anyone on here!) or anywhere on earth that can detect a 10lb difference.

i've done it before many a time, and have won steak dinners, a couple of rackets, concert tickets, movie tickets, a stereo system, and a few months back, a vintage leather jacket ( i returned it though, coz i felt really guilty about taking an expensive item!).

but i kid you not. you can test it out for yourself. which is what i always suggest instead of arguing over the internet. next time you're getting your rackets strung, ask the stringer to put one at 10lbs lighter than the other (provided they're identical otherwise). and tell him not to tell you which is what until after you test yourself.

in the words of lavar burton from reading rainbow, "you don't have to take my word for it."
I would say that you are absolutely right about normal 3.5-4.5 players but I think the pros would feel a difference right away.