PDA

View Full Version : Switching grips suggestions

kelkat
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi, after an almost 18 year lay-off from tennis, I got back into the game about 1.5 yrs ago...Div 1 college player back in the day. I currently play on a highly competitive women's indoor league (dbls) in NJ. I've risen in the ranks quickly with a win ratio of 86% for a 34 week season.

The pro at the club as encouraged me over the summer to do something I have never done... and that is to switch my grip to a continental grip for volleys. I have always used an eastern for EVERYTHING.
I've got tremendous topspin on my forehand, and for my 2 hnd backhand I just switch the angle of the racket face. My strengths are my serve, overhead, forehand, and aggressive net play.

So here is the question/problem. After playing this way for sooooo long, I am finding it difficult to switch grips in the blink of an eye. Plus, I am concentrating so much on the switch that my feet feel like they are cast in
cement. Besides the obvious net drills, and just getting out on the court often, does anyone have any ideas on court and off court on how to make this transition easier?:-?

subaru3169
06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
you use eastern for volleys?? i've been taught continental as a junior.. i assumed that's the one shot most ppl use the same grip in

Blask
06-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Yep, I've been told by multiple pro's that continental for serves and volleys will get the most consistency. It's tough to do at first when you are used to not changing grips but once you get it down it feels pretty natural. Once I made the switch I don't even realize that I do it now.

kelkat
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I have to say that when I do hit a solid volley with the new grip if feels very natural, and the angles I can achieve far surpass those when using the eastern. I think in my youth I was stubborn, and I was doing well with the eastern, so "why fix what ain't broke" was my thinking back then. I didn't see the benefits of making the change back then... but I do now.

I have to open up the face more now for a forehand volley, and my wrist is wondering what the heck is going on, heh heh. But to help with transitioning back and forth between East/Cont, I've turned on a match with my racket in hand and switch when the foreground player would switch... a dbls match obviously is better to watch when doing this.

Oh, and I apolgize for posting this under adult leagues.... probably better belong in the Tips category.:oops: