PDA

View Full Version : ESPN/NBC Coverage of Wimbledon

kanamit
06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Does anybody know what the coverage of Wimbledon is going to look like for those unfortunate enough to be subjected to ESPNBC coverage in the States?

If I have to spend another grand slam watching the Williams sisters, I will start tearing my hair out.

Sadly, I found this out today:

"Mary Carillo admitted that deep into ESPN’s first week of French Open coverage, the highest television ratings came during an early round Williams sisters’ doubles match."

(http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/06/17/wimbledon-controversies-nadals-knees-federers-manhood-venuss-seeding/)

GraniteHoosier
06-18-2009, 07:20 PM
If ESPN has their way probably a nonstop reel of Williams sisters singles, doubles, interviews and replays from previous matchups. :mad:

CyBorg
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM

"Mary Carillo admitted that deep into ESPNís first week of French Open coverage, the highest television ratings came during an early round Williams sistersí doubles match."

That's because real tennis fans were all watching matches online.

Lsmkenpo
06-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Better off watching online if you live in the states, than to watch the Williams sisters for 6-8 hours every day.

Use espn360, or learn to change your proxy to that of a different country and
use Wimbledon live. I have already prepared for it.

leonidas1982
06-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I fret to think what it will be like. Last year and the year before, I subscribed to Wimbledon Live. I'm still trying to find a way to get ESPN360 -- If you are on a college campus you are in luck. Although, I believe ESPN360 is blacked out when NBC begins its "coverage".

kanamit
06-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I fret to think what it will be like. Last year and the year before, I subscribed to Wimbledon Live. I'm still trying to find a way to get ESPN360 -- If you are on a college campus you are in luck. Although, I believe ESPN360 is blacked out when NBC begins its "coverage".

Why is ESPN360's content restricted? And who is able to gain access?

Lsmkenpo
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
You can check if you can access ESPN360 here, http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/channelFinder

It is dependent upon your internet provider, whether you can access it or not.

leonidas1982
06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Why is ESPN360's content restricted? And who is able to gain access?

If you have Verizon as your internet provider, you are in luck.

Lsmkenpo
06-18-2009, 07:57 PM
This program is free, and works well, with a nice easy to learn tutorial built in.

Changes proxy to that of a country of your choice, to access Wimbledon live or Bet365 streams, blocked from certain countries.
http://www.proxyswitcher.com/

Don't let ESPNBC bludgeon you with the Williamses at Wimbledon.

leonidas1982
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
That's what I say. This is the 21st century; I fail to recognize how they think can control all facets of our ability to step around their monopoly.

skip1969
06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
That's because real tennis fans were all watching matches online.

word. i was doing a lot of that during roland garros.

That's what I say. This is the 21st century; I fail to recognize how they think can control all facets of our ability to step around their monopoly.

exactly. i don't know how they can expect people to endure tape delays, black-outs, and such when the internet is such a viable option for so many people. it's like asking people not to drive their cars . . . why, look at this lovely horse-and-buggy over here!

ATXtennisaddict
06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Will having Tennis Channel help with variety of matches?

leonidas1982
06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
word. i was doing a lot of that during roland garros.

exactly. i don't know how they can expect people to endure tape delays, black-outs, and such when the internet is such a viable option for so many people. it's like asking people not to drive their cars . . . why, look at this lovely horse-and-buggy over here!

Blackouts are hilarious. What is more hysterical, however, is when they pretend that there isn't a live match going on or went on. They'll never mention a match result, a score, or any story. What match? There is no match. Are you feeling okay? How can we broadcast a live match, if none are currently playing? It's almost similar to Stalin's men removing images of "disappeared" individuals from photos. What comrade?

Tennis Channel, essentially, does a wrap up show. They'll show a few edited taped matches.

darrinbaker00
06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Does anybody know what the coverage of Wimbledon is going to look like for those unfortunate enough to be subjected to ESPNBC coverage in the States?

If I have to spend another grand slam watching the Williams sisters, I will start tearing my hair out.

"Mary Carillo admitted that deep into ESPNís first week of French Open coverage, the highest television ratings came during an early round Williams sistersí doubles match."

(http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/06/17/wimbledon-controversies-nadals-knees-federers-manhood-venuss-seeding/)

This program is free, and works well, with a nice easy to learn tutorial built in.

Changes proxy to that of a country of your choice, to access Wimbledon live or Bet365 streams, blocked from certain countries.

Don't let ESPNBC bludgeon you with the Williamses at Wimbledon.
You know, you guys are absolutely right. ESPN and NBC should avoid showing the defending (and five-time) champion and runner-up, who just happen to be the #2 and #3 players in the world, as much as possible. That'll DEFINITELY boost their ratings.

kanamit
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
You know, you guys are absolutely right. ESPN and NBC should avoid showing the defending (and five-time) champion and runner-up, who just happen to be the #2 and #3 players in the world, as much as possible. That'll DEFINITELY boost their ratings.

You must be new here. Nobody here is saying that ESPN shouldn't broadcast the Williams sisters. We're saying we're tired of American networks assuming that, just because we are Americans, we want to watch only American players. Also, while it might be fitting to show the Williams sisters more this particular tournament owing to their recent success at W, the American networks show the Williams sisters CONSTANTLY at ALL the grand slams, even ones like the FO where they rarely do well.

I'm not going to apologize for being annoyed at ESPNBC showing tape delayed Williams doubles matches when they could very well be showing LIVE men's tennis.

Guru
06-18-2009, 09:01 PM
The Williams sisters own womens Tennis, have done for a very long time.

darrinbaker00
06-18-2009, 09:24 PM
You must be new here. Nobody here is saying that ESPN shouldn't broadcast the Williams sisters. We're saying we're tired of American networks assuming that, just because we are Americans, we want to watch only American players. Also, while it might be fitting to show the Williams sisters more this particular tournament owing to their recent success at W, the American networks show the Williams sisters CONSTANTLY at ALL the grand slams, even ones like the FO where they rarely do well.
The reason they assume that American fans only want to watch American players is because that's what the ratings and their own market research tell them.
I'm not going to apologize for being annoyed at ESPNBC showing tape delayed Williams doubles matches when they could very well be showing LIVE men's tennis.
Let's see.....a doubles match featuring the most popular players in the States, or a singles match between two guys who (a) no one's ever heard of, and (b) have no chance of winning? Which match are the American TV networks more likely to broadcast? That's a tough one.

HunterST
06-18-2009, 09:33 PM
The reason they assume that American fans only want to watch American players is because that's what the ratings and their own market research tell them.

Let's see.....a doubles match featuring the most popular players in the States, or a singles match between two guys who (a) no one's ever heard of, and (b) have no chance of winning? Which match are the American TV networks more likely to broadcast? That's a tough one.

No no no, there have been numerous times when espn have failed to show Federer, Nadal, or other top 10 mens matches because they are showing a Williams match.

CyBorg
06-18-2009, 09:37 PM

This is legit? I don't want to download any spyware.

angharad
06-18-2009, 09:43 PM

Because most casual fans will only know American players (and maybe Federer/Nadal/Sharapova), because that's all ESPN shows. When ESPN does take the time to showcase non-American non-Slam winning players, tennis gets more interesting for everyone. ESPN has shot themselves in the foot at times, focusing their coverage on US players who all flame out in the first week. The ratings understandably dip when all the "known" players are out. It's pretty damn difficult to root for someone you've never heard of.

And you absolutely can't excuse replaying a taped match over live tennis. There's just no defense for that.

kanamit
06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Because most casual fans will only know American players (and maybe Federer/Nadal/Sharapova), because that's all ESPN shows. When ESPN does take the time to showcase non-American non-Slam winning players, tennis gets more interesting for everyone. ESPN has shot themselves in the foot at times, focusing their coverage on US players who all flame out in the first week. The ratings understandably dip when all the "known" players are out. It's pretty damn difficult to root for someone you've never heard of.

And you absolutely can't excuse replaying a taped match over live tennis. There's just no defense for that.

Absolutely correct. Demand is generated through coverage. It doesn't exist prior to coverage. If ESPNBC started showing a greater diversity of pros, then maybe those non Williams pros would get better ratings.

skip1969
06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Blackouts are hilarious. What is more hysterical, however, is when they pretend that there isn't a live match going on or went on. They'll never mention a match result, a score, or any story. What match? There is no match. Are you feeling okay? How can we broadcast a live match, if none are currently playing?. . .

to be honest, that is the one thing about espn's coverage of tennis that really burns my chaps! they have two channels running 24/7. three if you count espn news. they run the ticker constantly, supposedly to keep the avid sports fan aware of even the most obscure sporting result. it defies ALL logic and reason that they "pretend" that there isn't something going on, just because they plan on starting their coverage later in the day. they simply act as though time zone differences don't exist and nothing is going on. it's ludicrous!

i get up at the crack of dawn, turn on the tv to see the results that i have missed at (the early morning matches at) roland garros . . . but they aren't on the ticker at espn, or espn2 . . . hell, they aren't even on espn NEWS! so i gotta drag out my laptop and see what's happening in the real world, in real time, cos espn is living in their own little alternate universe. amazing.

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
If ESPN has their way probably a nonstop reel of Williams sisters singles, doubles, interviews and replays from previous matchups. :mad:

+1

10 chars :):)