PDA

View Full Version : Is Nadal done??

drakulie
06-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Seems like a lot of posters are writing off Rafa, including now praying for a recovery to his on-going knee problems, which have been existent for nearly 4 years.

Couple that with his shockingly early exit at the French, and now he may not even be able to defend his title at Wimbledon,,,,,, I ask is he done???

Guys with his style of play usually have a 3-4 year run of greatness, but then crash and burn quickly. ie, Courier, Guga, Ferrero, Costa, Moya, etc, etc, All these guys, like Rafa are grinders, and their fall from grace was fairly quick.

Again, is Rafa done??? Has his destiny, like the aforementioned players been set, or are there remedies to turn the tables?

Should he retire? Use a lighter/larger racquet to help alleviate the stress on his weakenening knees? Learn to serve and volley??? Cut back on the number of tournaments he plays? Stop playing doubles?? Cut back on his practice sessions??

Or is it too late, and is he done???

Thoughts, and lets keep the flame wars to a minimum. :evil:

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I think people write him off way too soon because of one early loss. That's the ugly side of tennis. Last year when Fed lost the Wimbly final and then lost 1st rounds in HC events, people said Federer is done, he cannot win any more grand slams, etc. Since then he won the US Open, and the French Open.

Nadal still has plenty of success ahead of him.

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Too add longetivity to his career he needs to play a 100% agressive in the early rounds of tournaments basically conserve energy and not get into grinds in the early rounds.

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Nadal is not done and i really do think he will play wimbledon and make it to the semi's where he will play Murray and it may be US open 2008 all over again. The media is hyping this up for no reason i mean come on he has held press conferences just to say whether or not he is taking part he could just put it on his website tell somebody in a interview

mikeler
06-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Nah, if he cuts his schedule back I think he'll be OK.

JRstriker12
06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Seems like a lot of posters are writing off Rafa, including now praying for a recovery to his on-going knee problems, which have been existent for nearly 4 years.

Couple that with his shockingly early exit at the French, and now he may not even be able to defend his title at Wimbledon,,,,,, I ask is he done???

Guys with his style of play usually have a 3-4 year run of greatness, but then crash and burn quickly. ie, Courier, Guga, Ferrero, Costa, Moya, etc, etc, All these guys, like Rafa are grinders, and their fall from grace was fairly quick.

Again, is Rafa done??? Has his destiny, like the aforementioned players been set, or are there remedies to turn the tables?

Should he retire? Use a lighter/larger racquet to help alleviate the stress on his weakenening knees? Learn to serve and volley??? Cut back on the number of tournaments he plays? Stop playing doubles?? Cut back on his practice sessions??

LOL!!!!!! I'm sure using a 9 oz granny stick will cure what ails Rafa.

To early to say he's done, but it's not looking to good right now. If he's not stupid, he may have to take a break for the tour and rehab those knees. IMHO, it may take at least a year before we know if he's officially done.

Sentinel
06-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I seriously doubt he is done. Maybe have to play less and concentrate on slams, disregard ranking.

Not sure how much more his serve can improve since he is actually using his non-dominant arm to serve (just a guess).

babbette
06-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Even if he skips Wimbledon it doesn't mean the end of his career. Infact Tendonitis heals with rest so if he skips we should be expecting him to come fresher after. Hardcourt season is not his best, he may not win during that period but we should be expecting something like the Rafa we know.

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 06:06 AM
People, he is only 23.

cknobman
06-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Stick a fork in him.

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Fork does not work because what he needs is to bent on his knees :)

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:22 AM
With Rafa's style of play, I think it would be absolutely best for him to cut back on his schedule a bit. What I dont understand is how the fans know Rafa should cut back on his schedule, but his team doesnt.

drakulie
06-19-2009, 06:23 AM
I seriously doubt he is done. Maybe have to play less and concentrate on slams, disregard ranking.

I agree. I think he needs to play less, including not playing doubles anymore. Perhaps just playing the clay season will prolong his career. Thoughts?????? Anyone??????

RalphNYC
06-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Is there a player to compare to who also had bad tendonitis in his knees?

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Focus more on clay and wimby and play less in the rest of the season. But then he has a US Open puzzle to solve...

vtmike
06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Since his game is so physical he needs to concentrate more on the slams and cut down his schedule...and people need to stop making such a big deal out of this injury! I think uncle Phony is being a little bit of a drama queen here...

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:32 AM
For tendinitis, hardcourts are the worst to play on. The constant pounding on the knees while stopping and going is crushing to someone that has that problem.

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Since his game is so physical he needs to concentrate more on the slams and cut down his schedule...and people need to stop making such a big deal out of this injury! I think uncle Phony is being a little bit of a drama queen here...

I thought the same thing until Hewitt slapped him around yesterday at the exhibition match. The thing is, what if Uncle Toni isint exaggerating the injury?

batz
06-19-2009, 06:35 AM
According to the BBC - Rafa is moving much better in today's match. He's won the 1st set and doesn't seem in any pain.

T. H. Park
06-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Not done for sure. But it seems his prime has passed. His prime seemed to be last year and maybe a trickled into early this year - AO SF was a great match. But then slowly things started to go downhill (very slowly). I am sure he's got more tennis in him, but obviously it's not going to be as dominant as before. What goes up must come down. But he went up so much that it'll be a long way until he's "down" ... so, no, not done yet.

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Nadal is done for Wimbledon this year. But saying his career is done is a little extreme. I guess it is possible since knee problems finished me off though.

Swissv2
06-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Maybe he just needs a bigger racquet head size? That strategy does wonders, I hear. It even cures cancer.

TheMusicLover
06-19-2009, 06:37 AM
The thing is, what if Uncle Toni isint exaggerating the injury?

It wouldn't be the first time he did so. Remember the 'Career Threatning Injury'-drama? :-?

That said, I seriously hope Rafa will be well enough to play Wimbledon - but even more, that he'll FINALLY start making sensible decisions concerning his schedule!

batz
06-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Nadal is done for Wimbledon. But saying his career is done is a little extreme. I guess it is possible since knee problems finished me off though.

Not according to the BBC man who's watching his match v Stan - says Rafa is in no pain and moving great, with lots of sprints and getting to a couple of dropshots.

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:39 AM
It wouldn't be the first time he did so. Remember the 'Career Threatning Injury'-drama? :-?

That said, I seriously hope Rafa will be well enough to play Wimbledon - but even more, that he'll FINALLY start making sensible decisions concerning his schedule!

Yea you're right about Toni, lol, wtf was I thinking for a second? And yes, the schedule has to be revised for next season. I could do a better job scheduling this poor kid then his own family does.

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Not according to the BBC man who's watching his match v Stan - says Rafa is in no pain and moving great, with lots of sprints and getting to a couple of dropshots.

I know a lot of you guys are Nadal lovers/haters, I just find it funny that so many people are speculating on his injury. Is he out for Wimbledon? Is he done? Etc, etc. The only person that really knows is Rafa himself. While we sit here and discuss the same thing 10000x's, Rafa already knows in the back of his mind what he's going to do.

pennc94
Is there a player to compare to who also had bad tendonitis in his knees?

While he had no where near the level of success Nadal has had, Kent Carlsson's knees ended his career. Not sure whether it was the same type of injury, however. Maybe someone else knows.

Swissv2
Ok, I have the very solution.
http://4goodnightsleep.net/images/sleep_aids_gns2-1_md.jpg

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Ok, I have the very solution.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ynecV_hmUPk/R0u144qPflI/AAAAAAAAAYM/TDA0oAGHU-w/s400/nyquil-745340.jpg

LMFAO x 100

batz
06-19-2009, 06:45 AM
I know a lot of you guys are Nadal lovers/haters, I just find it funny that so many people are speculating on his injury. Is he out for Wimbledon? Is he done? Etc, etc. The only person that really knows is Rafa himself. While we sit here and discuss the same thing 10000x's, Rafa already knows in the back of his mind what he's going to do.

Neither thanks - just someone who's relaying what the guy watching the match live just said on BBc radio.

NotAtTheNet
06-19-2009, 06:47 AM
He's going to play wimbly... not sure if he'll take it though. He has to defend/salvage some points there. I think you'll see him hitting bigger and ending points sooner (at least on the early rounds) and save his grueling/grinding style for later. Of course this whole injury scare might be some kind of ruse to lull everyone into complacency. I can imagine him on the podium going "I get you all good... no?"

As much as I love Rafa, but if he were done... would the price on the APD's come down...?

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Neither thanks - just someone who's relaying what the guy watching the match live just said on BBc radio.

Oh no, I wasnt insinuating that you were either of the two. I was just posting a general comment. Btw, thanks for the insight on the match.

rwn
06-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Nadal is just playing a chicken act to get the pressure off him. He will play Wimbledon. No doubt about it. :)

catskillthunder
06-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Of course this whole injury scare might be some kind of ruse to lull everyone into complacency. I can imagine him on the podium going "I get you all good... no?"

As much as I love Rafa, but if he were done... would the price on the APD's come down...?

Lawls! 3P1C post! I might steal this one for my sig.

And yea, maybe those APD's will dive in price if such events occurred.

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Done my *****.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Done my *****.
Do I feel a touch of disappointment in your post? :)

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:13 AM

Nope,I responded in the similar manner to yesterday's threads with similar titles.Annoys me when people write off players who have proven themselves time and again on the big stage(slams).I would never write off a player of Nadal's caliber,period.

rommil
06-19-2009, 07:13 AM

Disappointment? Let's see where will you be in the next week or so......

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Disappointment? Let's see where will you be in the next week or so......
After the RG debacle I think I'm immune to any possibility, my heart is already broken :(

bruce38
06-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Even if Nadal didn't have knee problems I think his amazing results in 2008 were really due to a decline in Fed's play more than anything else. If Fed gets back to his former self Nadal would continue winning his single FO each year.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Nope,I responded in the similar manner to yesterday's threads with similar titles.Annoys me when people write off players who have proven themselves time and again on the big stage(slams).I would never write off a player of Nadal's caliber,period.
That is certainly very wise. Fed won RG just as people were starting to write him off. That's a very good lesson to remember: that you can't write off a champion no matter what...

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:39 AM
That is certainly very wise. Fed won RG just as people were starting to write him off. That's a very good lesson to remember: that you can't write off a champion no matter what...

It's just annoys me sometimes that people are so fickle here,one bad loss at the FO in last 5 years and Nadal is supposedly done? Fed has been to the last 3-4 slam finals,yet when he lost to Wawrinka in Monte Carlo and Novak and Murray in IW and Miami people were saying he was done as well and won't break Pete's record even though Fed was still performing at a very high level in slams.

Sometimes it can turn out to be correct,I mean who thought Mcenroe would never reach a slam final after '85 or never win another slam after '84 but in principle you should never write off a champion,especially one as young as Nadal(he's just 23).

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
It's just annoys me sometimes that people are so fickle here,one bad loss at the FO in last 5 years and Nadal is supposedly done? Fed has been to the last 3-4 slam finals,yet when he lost to Wawrinka in Monte Carlo and Novak and Murray in IW and Miami people were saying he was done as well and won't break Pete's record even though Fed was still performing at a very high level in slams.

Sometimes it can turn out to be correct,I mean who thought Mcenroe would never reach a slam final after '85 or never win another slam after '84 but in principle you should never write off a champion,especially one as young as Nadal(he's just 23).
Yes one never knows for sure. There would be precedents for arguments either way. I'm claiming that Rafa losing in 4th round in RG was entirely unpredictable but the sport wouldn't be fun if one could always predict what happens.

prince
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
nadal's singles career is done.

he might be able to salvage some glory if he elects to play doubles where he can slow down a bit - and team up with max the beast mirnyi and maybe win some more slams .

drakulie
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
well, now with Nadal officially withdrawing from Wimbledon,,,,,,,looks like he's done.

Thoughts????

cknobman
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
well, now with Nadal officially withdrawing from Wimbledon,,,,,,,looks like he's done.

Thoughts????

Hes done waive bye bye to number 1 ranking.

Really sad too because hes such a good tennis player and seems like a nice guy. Never good to see someone go down due to injuries.

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:03 AM

Thoughts????
I have a feeling he will do good at US open

jackson vile
06-19-2009, 11:04 AM

When are you going to give up Drag?

Seriously you have been wrong for what 5 years, and guess what you are wrong again.

Tell you what, man up or Sissy out. If Nadal's career continues you never post again, if his career is over I never post again.

Man up or Sissy out, which is it?

dh003i
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
It's too bad he had to withdraw from Wimbledon, although apparently the lesser of two evils (since if he plays, he aggravates his knee further and won't win).

However, his knee issues are directly traceable to both his demanding style of play and that he enters so many tournaments. This will always be an issue for him, and will unfortunately only get cumulatively worse, unless he changes either his style of play or reduces he # of tournaments he enters, or does a combination of both.

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
It's too bad he had to withdraw from Wimbledon, although apparently the lesser of two evils (since if he plays, he aggravates his knee further and won't win).

However, his knee issues are directly traceable to both his demanding style of play and that he enters so many tournaments. This will always be an issue for him, and will unfortunately only get cumulatively worse, unless he changes either his style of play or reduces he # of tournaments he enters, or does a combination of both.
That means sacrificing his ranking for sure

drakulie
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
When are you going to give up Drag?

Seriously you have been wrong for what 5 years, and guess what you are wrong again.

Tell you what, man up or Sissy out. If Nadal's career continues you never post again, if his career is over I never post again.

Man up or Sissy out, which is it?

OK, he keeps playing, you retire, he stops and you'll retire.

bizarre_opinion
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
i personally think its all over for rafa. His knees are too weak, he may aswell retire and get a job as a waiter in a restaurant in spain or somewhere, i think he will do well at that.

dh003i
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
That means sacrificing his ranking for sure

Well, if he changes his style of play to much more aggressive, less defensive, he can still play as many matches. But it isn't clear if he can play well enough, being that aggressive, to be as consistent as he was before.

So the other alternative is cutting down # of matches, which would mean he'd lose his #1 ranking. But that's really a secondary consideration; winning slams is the most important concern.

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM

lol. :)

alright guys, come on, Nadal will be out for a little while, but he will be back. He is only 23. Give him a break, he needs a break. So do we. We need a break from all the arguments against each other here lol.:)

Whether he is done or not, wait and see until his career is over.

drakulie
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM

alright guys, come on, Nadal will be out for a little while, but he will be back. He is only 23. Give him a break, he needs a break. So do we. We need a break from all the arguments against each other here lol.:)

OK, but only because you are being a nice guy! :)

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, it will be really interesting if Nadal retires before Federer. Hard to believe if that comes true.

chess9
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
First of all, Drak, I think Rafa's style of play is sui generis. No one, to my knowledge, has made it into the top 10 while playing with such unbounded vigor. The amplitude of his effort often appears super-human. And to call him a grinder is a bit unfair, IMHO. I would call him one of the greatest men to play the game because he raised issues about heavy topspin, extreme grips, and an almost nuclear energy.

Having said the foregoing, and noting the deep respect I have for the man, I think his problems are extremely serious for someone who plays his style of tennis. Unless we have a medical breakthrough to treat tendon inflammation, and even tendonosis (which may be where he is!), then he might only be able to play 5-8 tournaments a year, and primarily the clay circuit.

Let's all hope, for the good of the game, and for Rafa's good, that he heals and that my diagnosis is dead wrong.

-Robert

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Nadal will be back for the 2 hard court slams. This is just a minor setback and he will regain number 1 sometime next year. Vamos!

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
i personally think its all over for rafa. His knees are too weak, he may aswell retire and get a job as a waiter in a restaurant in spain or somewhere, i think he will do well at that.
So now the hater is resorting to Nadal's career is done and he is a wimp rather than saying he is lying. What a surprise.

Morrissey
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM

No surprise who posted this. Almost can't contain the giddiness, yet still pretends to be diplomatic. Thanks Drakie. You finally showed us your true side.

lordmanji
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM

excellent post. we may have seen rafa peak at this year's AO. i thought his body still only 23 would have a few more good years left but it looks like its starting to break down. his knees can only get worse from here and i think he will have great difficulty in maintaining a world no. 1 form for the rest of his career. but there is hope if he rests and doesnt play so many tournaments. he has a finite tennis life and with this withdrawal i think he knows that now. he can no longer play 4 hr semi matches at madrid before the start of the french. i thought the past few years he played too much heading into the french. he plays more than federer even though he has more of a wear-and-tear game. i seriously hope his team advises he play less for all of tennis' sake.

LeftSHBH
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Nadal's a great doubles player, I don't see why he doesn't take the net more often. That goes for many players as well. He's been able to change his game and incorporate more drop shots, etc...
I'd tell him to shorten his points and go for the net more often than not. Getting better serve placement would help as well.

Topaz
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Thoughts????

My first thought...why in the world was he playing this exhibition? Why not take the time to *rest* and possibly even get the inflammation in his knees to die down?

Having said the foregoing, and noting the deep respect I have for the man, I think his problems are extremely serious for someone who plays his style of tennis. Unless we have a medical breakthrough to treat tendon inflammation, and even tendonosis (which may be where he is!), then he might only be able to play 5-8 tournaments a year, and primarily the clay circuit.

Let's all hope, for the good of the game, and for Rafa's good, that he heals and that my diagnosis is dead wrong.

-Robert

Agree.

Nadal will be back for the 2 hard court slams. This is just a minor setback and he will regain number 1 sometime next year. Vamos!

Hard court??? Nadal has *yet* to have a season where he is significant in any way in the second half of the year. Every year, in fact, he's been having problem earlier and earlier. Hard courts are the last place he should be focusing right now.

Plain and simple, he needs to schedule smarter.

Enigma_87
06-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Certainly not. Such talk is pretty premature. Hope Nadal recovers soon.Bad day for tennis today, his classics with Federer on the CC were always fantastic to watch.:(

zagor
06-19-2009, 01:43 PM
No,not done by a longshot.He's still only 23,not the first nor the last player to miss a slam because of injury.I'm sure he'll be fine for USO and make a push to win that one as it's the only slam he didn't win yet.I do think he should schedule smarter in the future though but that's between him and uncle Toni,it's probably obvious now that they need to make some changes so I hope they do.

bizarre_opinion
06-19-2009, 01:48 PM

you call this a minor set back, ur a joker. Do u understand that he could lose his no.1 ranking and also, do you seriously think he's going to win the US Open?

T. H. Park
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Nadal will be back for the 2 hard court slams.

HC? I am sure he will "be back" to play but cannot see him doing well on his worst part of the season. Then again, how knows, miracles do happen. In terms of probability of a good end of the season, things do not look positive for Rafa at all.

This is just a minor setback and he will regain number 1 sometime next year. Vamos!

Minor set back? This is the biggest setback for Rafa's career since his RG loss a few weeks ago. It is a function of what happened at RG 09 actually.

If people are still doubtful that Nadal is not one dimensional then I think you are still very much in the mode of wishful thinking (his game is too much based on legs on super overdrive and getting everything back). It has been said by myself and others, that Rafa will not be able to sustain this type of play and keep on winning. He has, however, no other choice at this time (and probably the future too as one cannot simply change one's style of play that one has been honing for the last 23 years) and his body has taken its toll - we are witnessing signs of a gradual (?) decline. It has come a bit abruptly but these are definitely vivid signs - he's only in his early 20s. The injuries are only going to get worse as he ages, not better, especially due to his style. Laws of nature. Same thing will/has already happened to Fed as well (back problem, exhaustion, mono etc., )

It is very sad that the best player in the world right now is not participating in the most important tennis event. But this is a very serious setback. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for him. The mental aspect will be so much different from now on. Sad day for Rafa and tennis. Makes things much less exciting that's for sure.

Devilito
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I have tendonitis and let me tell you. It never really goes away. You can rest and it stops hurting, but as soon as you start doing what originally caused it, it flares back up. If you’re a top athlete you can play through it with anti inflammatory and a bunch of other treatment but that can’t go on forever. Not matter what he says his career is in serious trouble.

bizarre_opinion
06-19-2009, 02:01 PM
No,not done by a longshot.He's still only 23,not the first nor the last player to miss a slam because of injury.I'm sure he'll be fine for USO and make a push to win that one as it's the only slam he didn't win yet.I do think he should schedule smarter in the future though but that's between him and uncle Toni,it's probably obvious now that they need to make some changes so I hope they do.

i doubt it, nadal has always had suspect knee's and i think always will do. Nadal will always have the knee issue's in the back of his mind, i can't see him doing much in the US Open either. It's just show's how strong a player has to be, both physically and mentally, to dominate and stay at the top level for so long. Well, so far nadal has only managed to dominate for 1 year and look what's happened to him. I guess he's not as strong as people thought he was.

CCNM
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't think his career is over. Maybe his days of winning everything he enters are over. I still think he needs to rest and perhaps change his game a little bit. I'm sure Fed isn't playing the same as he was when he was 23.

drakulie
06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I definitely think he has already reached his peak, and is now on the way down from that peak. Definitley agree he will never have a year like last year.

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
He needs to rest his knees and stop playing so many tournaments. :(

drakulie
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
^^Yeah, he should probably post more on TW, and get some useful tips here. That way, he gets much needed rest, and helpful tips on how to beat the other guys on tour, strategy, etc.

I figure about 4 to 5 thousand posts should do it.

Blinkism
06-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Let me get this straight. You rag on Nadal fans for being worried about his health, going as far as to ridicule them as "Nadal haters".

Then you get on your high horse and claim the only reason you say that is because you are exposing them as making excuses for their favorite player, all the while claiming you are not a Nadal hater and you root for him.

Then you make this thread and claim that it's been obvious and apparent, by the logic that Nadal is a "grinder", that he isn't going to have a long career and that his body will give up- claiming that his knee problems are apparent, but if a Nadal fan discusses those APPARENT problems, then they are making excuses and they are haters.

And you have the nerve to call other posters here trolls?

Tennis_Bum
06-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Nadal is done. I don't think he will ever see that #1 again. It's so tough to get back when you are plague by injuries after injuries. 2008 was his best year but he made mistakes after he won AO and played small tournaments right after. Huge mistakes! Weeks after weeks of clay tennis before the FO didn't really help either. Sure, he racked up a lot of points and also thought he needed to defend a lot of points but it came back to bite him in the ***. His loss at the FO took a lot of points away and now say good-bye to #1 forever.

Of course, I can be wrong, but I don't think he will ever be the same player again. Too many disappointment in such short period. Spring in 2009 is not a good season for Nadal; no FO champ and no participation at Wimbledon. With the style of play that he puts on his body, there is no way he can ever regain the confidence to play the same way again. Players will instinctively know the guy is hurt and are ready to pounce on him whenever they play him. When you are injured, you lose confidence because the injury puts doubt in your mind about your game and let the opponent gain confidence because he believe more in his change to win because of your injury.

This is only my opinion and Nadal can prove me wrong. That will be fine because he produces good matches.

drakulie
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
And you have the nerve to call other posters here trolls?

YUP. Can you believe it??

Not only are you a troll, you are fairly smart one.

truthorbust
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
For now , he is.
For the future , hope not .. but he has all the signs of Borg like burn out syndrome to his career.

BigServer1
06-19-2009, 02:38 PM

(Not trying to start anything...)

Do you really believe this? I think it will be really interesting to see how Nadal plays at the US Open, but he's never had great success there. I worry that he'll try to come back to early and be in the same boat at the US Open.

He very well may regain the #1 ranking next year, but he'll need to start that campaign by defending the Australian Open, something that looks like it will be really tough for him to do.

I'm concerned about the longevity of his career. I'm not saying he's "done" by any means, but I'm concerned about his ability to play 15 tournaments per season. It seems to me like he's going to have to choose 2 clay court tourneys and then the French Open, probably skip Queens and then play Wimbledon and then pick his hard court events really carefully.

I hope I'm wrong, because I like the guy and I love the rivalry with Roger.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Nadal is just playing a chicken act to get the pressure off him. He will play Wimbledon. No doubt about it. :)
Oops...... :oops:

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
(Not trying to start anything...)

Do you really believe this? I think it will be really interesting to see how Nadal plays at the US Open, but he's never had great success there. I worry that he'll try to come back to early and be in the same boat at the US Open.

He very well may regain the #1 ranking next year, but he'll need to start that campaign by defending the Australian Open, something that looks like it will be really tough for him to do.

I'm concerned about the longevity of his career. I'm not saying he's "done" by any means, but I'm concerned about his ability to play 15 tournaments per season. It seems to me like he's going to have to choose 2 clay court tourneys and then the French Open, probably skip Queens and then play Wimbledon and then pick his hard court events really carefully.

I hope I'm wrong, because I like the guy and I love the rivalry with Roger.
Rafa did this at the beginning of this year just fine. He took like 6 weeks off and was ready to go at the Australian Open. I could see the same happening at this years US Open.

Gorecki
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
my only point about this is not about rafa withdrawing or having troubles keeping his health wich is very very sad...

but i am loving the assinine looks on the faces of those who were claiming we would be winning garros by the time he was 30.... ending his carrer with 2398378302 FO titles...

goes to show once more what they say about motherhood and assumption...

but i must say it again.. it's very sad news that he is withdrawing from W

edmondsm
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
His knee problems are not going away. In fact they appear to be getting exponentially worse. Flareups are occurring more frequently and with greater severity. These aren't the kind of knee problems that can be corrected with surgery, and pain management has become completely unsuccessful because he now withdrawing from a slam as the defending champ. A sharp downturn in his career is very likely IMO.

edmondsm
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Rafa did this at the beginning of this year just fine. He took like 6 weeks off and was ready to go at the Australian Open. I could see the same happening at this years US Open.

That is a distinct possibility. I hope that the decision to skip Wimbledon was spurred on by the fact that he has a chance to get the career slam this year. With the extra rest, who knows. It certainly helps his chances. Hopefully the time off does the trick.

prince
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Dont worry nadal fans - even if rafa has this knee tendinitis - he can always be a top 20 - 30 player ,and will win maybe 1-3 titles a year on clay.

T. H. Park
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
He needs to rest his knees and stop playing so many tournaments. :(

It's not just the number of matches (Djokovic leads Rafa in matches played: 56 vs. 49 this year (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon09/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4273020)). It's really the way he plays more than anything. The next few weeks and months will be important for Rafa's longevity. Can he change his game enough to make his matches shorter? I think that's too much to ask of him. Hopefully he finds a solution somehow ...

T. H. Park
06-19-2009, 06:44 PM

That may be true but it does not look good if you have to skip a GS now and then to get back on your feet. Those are not good signs, albeit hardly surprising. What's he going to do, play like 50% of the matches he usually plays? If you do that you don't get into the rhythm of match-play under your belt and you lose the feeling of playing in a "real" environment. Tough...

Federer's cat
06-19-2009, 06:48 PM
No, he's not done, he just needs to heal up his knee cancer and he'll be back into winning majors.

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
It's not just the number of matches (Djokovic leads Rafa in matches played: 56 vs. 49 this year (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon09/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4273020)). It's really the way he plays more than anything. The next few weeks and months will be important for Rafa's longevity. Can he change his game enough to make his matches shorter? I think that's too much to ask of him. Hopefully he finds a solution somehow ...

+1

Great post

DoubleDeuce
06-19-2009, 06:55 PM
This is a fair question to ask, so what's a fair answer?

Let's define what " is done" exactly means.

Done meaning he will not be a serious contender in future majors and masters cups? My answer to this is no. He will be

He is retiring soon? No.

He cannot win hard court majors? I don't see him ever winning US or another AU.

Done meaning he is not the world number one? Yes, top rank is over.

Can he win another major? Yes, his best chances will be 2010 FO and Wimb

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 06:59 PM
No, he's not done, he just needs to heal up his knee cancer and he'll be back into winning majors.
It's not cancer you troll.

oy vey
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
His knee problems are not going away. .

What about Dr. Federer’s diagnosis:

“It seems like it’s not 100 percent serious, his knee injury. … “He wasn’t taping his knees here in Paris. He seemed fine, [from] what I saw, anyway. I’ve played him so many times, I can tell when he’s in pain and when he’s not.”

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 07:44 PM

“It seems like it’s not 100 percent serious, his knee injury. … “He wasn’t taping his knees here in Paris. He seemed fine, [from] what I saw, anyway. I’ve played him so many times, I can tell when he’s in pain and when he’s not.”
LOL Fed looks foolish now.

MsPiggy
06-19-2009, 07:48 PM
I fear that Rafa is going to go downhill from here, I hope not but we'll see what happens.

VivalaVida
06-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Rafa was running around clowning his opponents in under an hour and a half until he ran into soderling. Even during that match Rafa didnt seem to be struggling physically(He wasnt playing his best by any means, but I didnt see Rafa in pain). We had no idea of how serious his knee trouble was until after his shock loss at FO

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Um....Nadal didn't withdraw from Roland Garros, did he? So obviously he either wasn't in pain then or the pain wasn't that bad that he couldn't play.

Oh, and Federer didn't play Nadal in Paris.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Perfect illustration of what a jerk Fed is but never mind because Rafa will recover, come back stronger than ever and kick Fed's sorry *** again!

rommil
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Perfect illustration of what a jerk Fed is but never mind because Rafa will recover, come back stronger than ever and kick Fed's sorry *** again!

Oh listen to you, blabbing some fighting words you even have no control about. Maybe you should tell your beloved to learn from the Jerk on how to be able to sustain being number 1 that way you will not sound like you had 5 menstrual periods in a week.

ShooterMcMarco
06-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Too bad for Rafa, especially since at the AO it looked like he would go on a tear for the rest of the year. Just goes to show how tough professional sports are.

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Is it Fed's fault Nadal is injured? :?

rommil
06-19-2009, 09:27 PM

You bet it is. Roger set the accomplishment bar so high Nadal's knees are bursting trying to catch up.

catspaw
06-19-2009, 09:27 PM

I think a lot of people were fooled by the untaped knees. As we now know his problem is above the knee this time and involves swelling, so taping can't help to alleviate anything.

(To call Fed a "jerk" for his comments is a little over the top, even for you, especially as Rafa was running around as per usual prior to the Soderling match and during it.)

I'm sure he will recover and bounce back - eventually - but that's from this crisis. What about the next one, and the one after that? For they will surely come. Knees like his are not just going to go away; they've been the bane of his life for years and are clearly getting worse rather than better.

rwn
06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Oops...... :oops:

I have no problem admitting I´m wrong. I´m absolutely shocked :shock:
Nadal didn´t look that bad to me in the Soderling match. No Federer-Nadal final this year unfortunately. :|

TennisandMusic
06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I think a lot of people were fooled by the untaped knees. As we now know his problem is above the knee this time and involves swelling, so taping can't help to alleviate anything.

(To call Fed a "jerk" for his comments is a little over the top, even for you, especially as Rafa was running around as per usual prior to the Soderling match and during it.)

I'm sure he will recover and bounce back - eventually - but that's from this crisis. What about the next one, and the one after that? For they will surely come. Knees like his are not just going to go away; they've been the bane of his life for years and are clearly getting worse rather than better.

Actually Nadal looked pretty terrible on clay all season, even though he was winning. Just read the comments over those several weeks of many many posters. He's been off for months, and it's EASY to see unless you're just completely biased.

Federer was WAY out of line to say something like that. Completely uncalled for and below decent to say the least.

grizzly4life
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
hey, good discussion..

can someone explain how many tournaments rafa "must play"?

vis a vis tour rules............

i think rafa would be well advised to play the absolute minimum number of tourneys. like 12 or something like that.

catspaw
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Nadal didn´t look that bad to me in the Soderling match. No Federer-Nadal final this year unfortunately. :|

I'm shocked too, to be honest. I didn't doubt he had a problem, but I'm surprised it's bad enough to miss Wimbledon. I thought that testing himself out in the exhos was a good sign, but apparently it only confirmed his worst fears.

grizzly4life
06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
sorry. too lazy to go back

what did federer say that was bad? basically federer says what you aren't supposed to say, but almost always it's the truth. i'm sure fed knew that rafa owned him at FO and i think he more or less has said it a bunch of times

フェデラー
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Will he fall to number three in the world? Is that possible?

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm shocked too, to be honest. I didn't doubt he had a problem, but I'm surprised it's bad enough to miss Wimbledon. I thought that testing himself out in the exhos was a good sign, but apparently it only confirmed his worst fears.
A doctor who saw his knee Xrays said he should take 3 months off. I'm not at all convinced 1 month will be enough. It doesn't matter, he should take off whatever necessary to put this thing radically behind him.

CHOcobo
06-19-2009, 09:47 PM
yea rafa should take a rest for once. his knees is deteriorating by the moment. sooner or later it's gonna collapses. eventually it will if he keeps up.

how will skipping Wimbledon affect his ranking?

Halba
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
he's done. he should play some other sport or retire.

catspaw
06-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Actually Nadal looked pretty terrible on clay all season, even though he was winning. Just read the comments over those several weeks of many many posters. He's been off for months, and it's EASY to see unless you're just completely biased.

Federer was WAY out of line to say something like that. Completely uncalled for and below decent to say the least.

I agree he's looked "off", but to me it appeared to be an "out of sorts" kind of off rather than an underlying physical problem. One will tend to lead to the other, I know, but I saw no restriction of movement as such that made me think "oh-oh" about his knees or any other part of his anatomy.

Way out of line? Completely uncalled for? Below decent? I think most of us know that Rafa lives on pain killers and anti-inflammatories for much of the time that help him to remain pain-free and allow him to continue playing through his problems. This latest flare-up has clearly gone beyond that, but seriously, how many of us anticipated that that would be the case? And how many of us, including his diehard fans, really thought that it was so much worse than the norm this time, despite what Uncle Toni has said? Federer was saying it as he saw it at the time, and his comments echoed what many on here and other message boards thought at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing........

Tennis_Bum
06-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh listen to you, blabbing some fighting words you even have no control about. Maybe you should tell your beloved to learn from the Jerk on how to be able to sustain being number 1 that way you will not sound like you had 5 menstrual periods in a week.

That is hilarious. 5? I say 10 maybe more.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Are these the same posters that saw absolutely nothing wrong with Federer last year when he had mono? :oops:

Um....the interviewer asked Federer his opinion of Nadal's injury over a week ago and he gave his honest personal opinion. What the heck is wrong with that? :confused:

You *********s have a way of finding fault with everything Federer says. If Federer said - "The sky is blue". You guys would criticize him as being arrogant and saying something indecent. So what else is new? :-?

fed_is_GOD
06-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Nadal's problems are more mental and physical..he was playinf fine tennis till he ran into soderling and after soderling beat him..nadal is creating an impression that he is not feeling...he might be injured but not as bad as he shows it to be..people now have confidence that they can challenge nadal any time...naturally nadal wants to change his game plan and had to take time for it...and the draw was was what nailed his final hopes..his draw is tough...so he decided to skip rather than to face a defeat in 2nf round from hewitt...:)

Dutch-Guy
06-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Nadal's problems are more mental and physical..he was playinf fine tennis till he ran into soderling and after soderling beat him..
His knees were bothering him before Madrid SF.I started a thread about that.Dig it up if you want.
nadal is creating an impression that he is not feeling...he might be injured but not as bad as he shows it to be..
You can say,speculate what you want but his injury is legit.Why 'd he skip Wimby,the most prestigious slam,where he's the defending champ? Risking to lose his #1 spot?
people now have confidence that they can challenge nadal any time...
Like he was never challenged before this.
and the draw was was what nailed his final hopes..his draw is tough...so he decided to skip rather than to face a defeat in 2nf round from hewitt...:)
What are these players credentials on grass? What are their h2h against him on grass.He 'd still have withdrawn even if his draw was easy.

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:28 AM
In my opinion Nadal isn't done,but as I thought BEFORE the loss of RG,because of his style of play,his schedule,and what experts seems to say(small feet) he will burnt out,much sooner than others.I think that he has about 2 years maximum in the top.The thing is,that with Nadal's play if he loses as much as a step,becomes a little bit slower he will be vulnerable to much more players and will start losing more and more.So his fall from the top will be more rapid that others' .For example if Federer lost a step it wouldn't affect his results AS much as Nadal's would.

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Even if he skips Wimbledon it doesn't mean the end of his career. Infact Tendonitis heals with rest so if he skips we should be expecting him to come fresher after. Hardcourt season is not his best, he may not win during that period but we should be expecting something like the Rafa we know.

Tendonitis DOESN'T cure with rest.It becomes better yes,but when he starts straining his knees again it will flare up again.

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:38 AM

It's a combination of both.Djoker played so many matches,and we all saw how it turned out,with mental and physical exhaustion.With Rafa's game,which is much more tiring for the body,it's clear to see how this schedule has hurt him.But he has noone to blame but himself.

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:40 AM

Yes,me too.I didn't think he was going to withdraw,and was absolutely shocked by his decision.I think it was also a bit affected by the draw he had,maybe if it was easier he would have played..but that's just speculation.But surely I didn't expect it!:(

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Fed is calling Nadal a liar though. Not cool.

joeri888
06-20-2009, 07:40 AM

When has he ever said Nadal was a liar? He said that he expected Rafa to be fit for Wimbledon, which is something entirely different.

jackson vile
06-20-2009, 08:38 AM

I knew you would puss out Drag, that is your charachter. Your not willing to put your money where your mouth is.

Drag wrong for 5 years and counting!!!!!!!!!!!

jackson vile
06-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Don't sweat it, they are only upset Roger could not do the same as Nadal at age 23 and the fact Nadal made Roger cry like a little woman at the AO.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 09:10 AM
When has he ever said Nadal was a liar? He said that he expected Rafa to be fit for Wimbledon, which is something entirely different.
Nadal said he was injured. Fed said he wasn't. So Fed saying that is like saying Nadal lied. Very unclassy for Fed to do that.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Until all Nadal fans recognize that Federer had mono in 2008, and that it affected him throughout the year (oh it made a huge impact on his year), I think all Federer fans should not recognize Nadal's knee injury. It would only be fair, because....

And he still beat Tipsarevic 10-8 in the 5th set, in a 4h.25 min. match? It doesn´t make sense at all.

EDIT: I didn´t see the previous post.

Fed is getting old. Nothing to do with mono. Was there even mono? The weakest case I've ever heard of.

Fed might go in the Guiness Book of Records for the longest lasting bout of Mono in History. I think he's had it since just before Canas beat him twice in 2007. :)

If it didn't keep him from playing (and winning!) lots of competitive matches, it can't have kept him from training either. You can hang onto that mono excuse as long as you want, I don't think Fed will ever be so dominant as he was in the past for entirely different reasons.

If Fed has mono he shouldn't be playing. Didn't you all hear him say the media was blaming his season on him being ill. He didn't appear to like it at all. Why? Because he's not sick, folks. He just lost a few matches.

Real mono is a debilitating disease. It makes you so lethargic that you cannot muster enough strength to get out of bed or to stand, much less play tennis. Jim Courier is the biggest Federer troll out there with the exception of Luke Jensen. Federer did not have even a mild case of mono. Nobody can play tennis while afflicted with mono. Players with mono lose an entire year of their careers due to the disease.

Hrmm.... what do you call this.... I think it's called "Poetic Justice".

Get over it Nadal fans; Nadal lost a match. He's not in his prime anymore. Knees are just an excuse.

malakas
06-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Nadal said he was injured. Fed said he wasn't. So Fed saying that is like saying Nadal lied. Very unclassy for Fed to do that.

he didn't say he wasn't injured or called him a liar.He said he didn't think it was something serious from what he saw of him.:roll: But ofcourse I wouldn't expect any different interpretation from you.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Until all Nadal fans that Federer had mono in 2008, and that it affected him throughout the year (oh it made a huge impact on his year), I think all Federer fans should not recognize Nadal's knee injury. It would only be fair, because....

Get over it Nadal fans; Nadal lost a match. He's not in his prime anymore. Knees are just an excuse.
Agreed. Nadal is just making buttloads of excuses now. He is clearly cant handle the fact that soldering whipped the floor with him he had to make excuses even though he crushed his opponets thoroughly until soderling beat him down. 8)

malakas
06-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Until all Nadal fans that Federer had mono in 2008, and that it affected him throughout the year (oh it made a huge impact on his year), I think all Federer fans should not recognize Nadal's knee injury. It would only be fair, because....

hahahah I actually did that.:mrgreen: It was very funny.Give them something of their own medicine.

sureshs
06-20-2009, 09:54 AM

He needs to switch to a 1 handed backhand, that is for sure.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM

He would run far less if he did.

jackson vile
06-20-2009, 10:18 AM

No he needs a larger racket, Duh!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
No, he didn't. He said Nadal looked to be moving OK and didn't have his knees taped during RG which are facts. Everyone except *********s who watched his four matches at RG could see that he was moving fine and that his knees were not taped.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't sweat it, they are only upset Roger could not do the same as Nadal at age 23 and the fact Nadal made Roger cry like a little woman at the AO.
Um..NO, that's NOT a fact. The love of the crowd made Federer cry. Nadal had nothing to do with it.

If it was Nadal, Federer would have cried right after he lost and before the awards ceremony even started, but he was smiling until the crowd's adulation and support got to him and he broke down. When thousands of people scream out how they still loved you despite your very public failure and your disappointment to the fans, that's enough to make any real man cry.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Um..NO, that's NOT a fact. The love of the crowd made Federer cry. Nadal had nothing to do with it.

If it was Nadal, Federer would have cried right after he lost and before the awards ceremony even started, but he was smiling until the crowd's adulation and support got to him and he broke down. When thousands of people scream out how they still loved you despite your very public failure and your disappointment to the fans, that's enough to make any real man cry.

Federer looked like he was about to cry before then when he was sitting down seconds after the defeat he had his head in his hands it was the defeat to Nadal that made him cry.

maddogz32
06-20-2009, 10:58 AM
once the pain in his knee goes away he will be back on his game and winning again

joeri888
06-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Where did Federer say Nadal wasn't injured?

rommil
06-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Where did Federer say Nadal wasn't injured?

Joeri don't waste your time. NF is just gasping for air now that Nadal is out. And I bet you he will still be talking about Nadal in the boards during the tournament, even when Nadal is not playing. That's all he's got.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Federer looked like he was about to cry before then when he was sitting down seconds after the defeat he had his head in his hands it was the defeat to Nadal that made him cry.

Nadal looked like he was going to cry at Wimbledon 2007 too. He just didn't have a catalyst for it to happen. Massive double standards huh?

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Nadal looked like he was going to cry at Wimbledon 2007 too. He just didn't have a catalyst for it to happen. Massive double standards huh?

Im not criticing Federer for crying Im making the point to BP that Federer cryed because Nadal beat him not the crowd.

rommil
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
No he needs a larger racket, Duh!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

He needs new knees duh!!!!!! Maybe Babolat can make him one with a friggin Cortex for improved comfort...

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Im not criticing Federer for crying Im making the point to BP that Federer cryed because Nadal beat him not the crowd.
Then you're either deaf and blind or never had anyone tell you that they loved you.

Sad in both cases. :(

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Then you're either deaf and blind or never had anyone tell you that they loved you.

So if your girlfriend tells you she loves you you start crying?

TennisandMusic
06-20-2009, 11:59 AM

You're a complete fool if you STILL think Federer was crying because of fan support. Just read his friggin press conference after the match.

The guy was crying because he is a petulant spoiled crybaby, and that fact is obvious to anyone who isn't a complete homer. And there is your little silly emoticon tactic I've pointed out before. Completely goofy behavior.

What world do you live in BP?

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
He may have been disappointed and maybe upset, but he was not crying. He was smiling during the awards ceremony until the love of the crowd got to him.

Why don't you watch and listen to it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3-pLYHCNw&feature=related

maximo
06-20-2009, 12:01 PM

Planet Federer.

maximo
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
He may have been disappointed and maybe upset, but he was not crying. He was smiling during the awards ceremony until the love of the crowd got to him.

Why don't you watch and listen to it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3-pLYHCNw&feature=related

Federer is mentally unstable due to his loss to Nadal.

I advise him to seek medical help.

Cesc Fabregas

He looked like he was about to cry before the fan shouted out.

BreakPoint
So if your girlfriend tells you she loves you you start crying?
Yeah, if I failed miserably and disappointed her to the core but she says that she still loved me despite my failure, that would indeed make me cry.

If it doesn't make you cry then you have no emotions. Sad again.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, if I failed miserably and disappointed her to the core but she says that she still loved me despite my failure, that would indeed make me cry.

If it doesn't make you cry then you have no emotions. Sad again.

So if you failed to pay the electricity bill and dissapointed her and she said she loved you you cry?

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:05 PM
He looked like he was about to cry before the fan shouted out.
Um...did you not hear all the loud cheering for him, the love and adulation emanating from the crowd before that one fan yelled out that put him over the edge? The unconditional fan support is what made him so emotional.

Heck, the cheering was louder for Federer than it was for Nadal even though Federer lost!

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:07 PM
So if you failed to pay the electricity bill and dissapointed her and she said she loved you you cry?
No, if I failed out of school, robbed a bank and killed 10 people and got sent to prison for life but she said she still loved me, it would make me cry. :-?

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
You're a complete fool if you STILL think Federer was crying because of fan support. Just read his friggin press conference after the match.

The guy was crying because he is a petulant spoiled crybaby, and that fact is obvious to anyone who isn't a complete homer. And there is your little silly emoticon tactic I've pointed out before. Completely goofy behavior.

Um...do you believe your own eyes and ears or do you believe what's said in a press conference after the fact?

If Soderling sad in his post-match press conference that he played his best tennis of the tournament in the RG final, do you also believe him? Or do you believe what you saw during the actual match? :-?

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
No, if I failed out of school, robbed a bank and killed 10 people and got sent to prison for life but she said she still loved me, it would make me cry. :-?

But Federer didn't do anything terrible to upset his fans on that scale. My electricity bill was a better anology.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
But Federer didn't do anything terrible to upset his fans on that scale. My electricity bill was a better anology.
Considering the amount of support he got he could've felt that way but I think the disappointment of losing ,with his idols being there(esp.Laver),plus the crowd finally overwhelmed him.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Nadal cried when Federer beat him at Wimbledon 2007. Double standards much. It's obvious you're nothing but a Nadal troll who's sole existence is to hate on Federer fans. Even when Nadal is not playing, injured, etc. you still make it a point to bash Federer every attempt you get.

And you call Federer a petulant spoiled crybaby? I think you should try looking in the mirror. Your bashing only got worse after Nadal lost at the FO.

Commando Tennis Shorts
06-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Bills come literally all the time. Opportunities to win a Grand Slam don't.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:41 PM
You *********s are amazing. You praise Nadal for showing his emotions and criticize Federer for not showing his. But when Federer DOES show his emotions, you slam him for it. Unbelievable!

Double standard anyone? :-?

babbette
06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Rafa's injury should not end his career. Some health editor, Jeremy Laurance
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafas-injury-should-not-end-his-career-1710907.html

drakulie
06-20-2009, 03:31 PM
why are all these *******s talking about Fed?? This thread is about whether or not Nadal is done.

Last time I checked, Fed is the current King of Clay, and preparing to play Wimbledon.

Meanwhile, Nadal, age 23 is hoping to play againg one day.

zagor
06-20-2009, 03:35 PM
why are all these *******s talking about Fed?? This thread is about whether or not Nadal is done.

Last time I checked, Fed is the current King of Clay, and preparing to play Wimbledon.

Meanwhile, Nadal, age 23 is hoping to play againg one day.

Eh,because they love to hate Fed as much or even more than they love Nadal? Most of them spend most of their time here phychoanalizing every Fed's interview or statement from word to word.And they watch every Fed match just so they can say that Fed's opponent choked afterwards.

vtmike
06-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Eh,because they love to hate Fed as much or even more than they love Nadal? Most of them spend most of their time here phychoanalizing every Fed's interview or statement from word to word.And they watch every Fed match just so they can say that Fed's opponent choked afterwards.

Yeah esp Ver & True...I can just imagine them printing out a Fed interview and highlighting and studying it through the night to come up with things they can take out of context to bash him left, right and center!

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
once the pain in his knee goes away he will be back on his game and winning again

Well, that's thing ain't it? Since when has he had the knee pains? You guys make it sound like it just happened this year. Not so. He has been having knee problems for a long time. On top of that every HC after Wimbledon, we see Rafa dwindle away ... unless something has happened to his game that's drastically different there is no reason to think that it will be much different from previous years. But maybe at the USO something interesting will happen - it will be important for Rafa how he does there.

In any case, his knees are not going to get any much better since he is getting older. And yes, athletes' ages w.r.t. performance/injury follows a more drastic exponential curve than us weekend warriors. Not done for sure, but a very tough road ahead at best.

zapvor
06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
i didnt read through the 9pages, but to say nadal is done is liek saying i am going to make it to #1 next year. Nadal is far from done. a competitor like him isn't going to go away just like this. Even if he never fully recovers I can see him in top 30 for the rest of his career, which you can't say for a lot of #1s

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Agreed. Nadal is just making buttloads of excuses now. He is clearly cant handle the fact that soldering whipped the floor with him he had to make excuses even though he crushed his opponets thoroughly until soderling beat him down. 8)

Very well said. I also agree with NameRanger about poetic justice. I saw Nadal went through the first 2 rounds and FO fine, sure he didn't play superb tennis but then the guy was on fire when he trashed Hewitt in about 1 1/2 hours. I was shocked by the length of the match. But then Soderling shocked to world by whipping Nadal's *** and suddenly the guy got all of the injuries coming to his knees in less then 24 hours.

I just don't know when and if Nadal is really injured. Nadal usually calls for trainers then 2 minutes later he runs from corners to corners and hitting winners from his shoelace. Most pros I saw when they called for trainers, they usually can't even walk and subsequently retired from the matches, let alone running from corners to corners hitting winners.

Yes, people can say Nadal is an incredible athlete, yes he may be an incredible athlete, but the guy doesn't come across as a genuine guy. Again, I don't care for those who don't share this view or getting heart attacks from reading my response.

I am just stating what I saw when I watch Nadal played.

Cyan
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
As much as Fed was done when he lost his AO in 2008 where he was the defending champ and then lost his Wimbledon in 2008 where he was the defending champ.. Oh and as done as Fed was after the humilliating 2008 FO final. :rolleyes: Oh wait.

edmondsm
06-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Yeah, he said this before Nadal had to pull out a slam. Obviously Federer was wrong. Nadal has had more issues with his legs by the age of 23 then most players deal with in an entire career. I'm not saying he's "done"....whatever that means. I don't think he's won his last slam. But you can't ignore the fact that he's had performance crippling knee issues several times within the last year (Missed the MC and DC, limped out of Rotterdam, now missing Wimbledon).

Blinkism
07-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Someone's changed their tune!

feetofclay, if you don't have anything constructive to say about my post, then don't say it.

As for "quality of tennis being played">>> he hasn't played much lately has he?? (always injured/exhausted) Hmmmm. But that's what I like about posters like you>>>> your attention to detail.

In other words, he sucks on hard courts which explains why he is always injured after playing on them.

^^Great post, but I disagree>>> Nadal is boring when we are lucky enough to watch him play>>>> being that he is always injured or pulling out of events due to exhaustion.

Then why do posters such as your self make it an issue only when nadal is "injured".

Get over it. Like you said, everyone gets injured, and everyone has to play on the same tour. If Nadal can't handle the schedule, he souldn't play doubles, and most certainly shouldn't play so many tournaments.

Nadal is 22???? Listening to whiners such as yourself, one would think he is 52.

Which explains why at such a young age, Nadal is always tired/exhausted, injured, etc. Nadal is nowhere near the fitness level Agassi was. get your head out of your rear.

Where is Nadal this week??? Skipping the YEC on hard courts!!, cause he sucks and knows he has no shot of winning it.

By who??? Nadal??? who is always injured, and has no good opponents on clay (other than fed)???

Perhaps the rest of his body, but not his knees. - In response to Well lets hope it won't take too long. On the bright side: Rafa is a young healthy person and he should heal well and quickly

So what's the story, morning glory? Is Nadal "always injured" or is he on steroids?

nikdom
07-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Is Nadal "always injured" or is he on steroids?

Donno abt nadal but why are the two options mutually exclusive?

TENNISSLAVE
07-03-2009, 08:15 AM
In this years Wimby , he is done.

rafan
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Good heavens. Nadal has done the sensible thing and taken sick leave. All amateur doctors like us are suddenly in the know. I would love to think he is doing something constructive in this time out and thinking about changing his game, so that he won't have so much strain on his knees in the future but I love the way he plays so that is just wishful thinking. All I know is that there hasn't been anyone on the Wimbledon court this last fortnight to match him. We all know who is going to win tomorrow - it will be returning to the dull old days. Come back soon Rafa and put some life back into tennis

feetofclay
07-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Good heavens. Nadal has done the sensible thing and taken sick leave. All amateur doctors like us are suddenly in the know. I would love to think he is doing something constructive in this time out and thinking about changing his game, so that he won't have so much strain on his knees in the future but I love the way he plays so that is just wishful thinking. All I know is that there hasn't been anyone on the Wimbledon court this last fortnight to match him. We all know who is going to win tomorrow - it will be returning to the dull old days. Come back soon Rafa and put some life back into tennis

Well said. I'll second that.

drakulie
07-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Someone's changed their tune!

Learn to read <<<sarcasm>>>.

Blinkism
07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Learn to read <<<sarcasm>>>.

Well, excuse me if detecting sarcasm's a little tough when it's online and I don't know your personality (obviously) to get that.

Still, you and just about everyone on here was always quite aware of Nadal's injuries. I mean, c'mon!

Murray Mound
04-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Ho hum....same old same old.

Every hard court season everyone says Nadal is done and then the clay and grass court season starts and everyone says he is invincible .

Getting boring after all these years.

Bolivian Ace
04-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Done???? Who said done????
Great match for the MC Final...Nadal Verdasco!!!

Morrissey
04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Don't count the chickens....

Rippy
04-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Every hard court season everyone says Nadal is done and then the clay and grass court season starts and everyone says he is invincible .

Exactly... It was obvious he wasn't "done".

babbette
04-17-2010, 01:55 PM

lol :lol:...

Bud
04-17-2010, 02:55 PM
yeah he's done losing in the semis

For sure!

- - - - - - - - - -

Here is Rafa's Master's 1000 results from 2009-10

Indian Wells Masters - SF
Miami Masters - QF
Monte Carlo Masters - W
Rome Masters - W
Madrid Masters - F

*** This thread created *** <----

Canada Masters - QF
Cincinnati Masters - SF
Shanghai Masters - F
Paris Masters - SF

- - - - - - - - - -

Indian Wells Masters - SF
Miami Masters - SF
Monte Carlo Masters - F (possible win tomorrow)

Ummm yeah, Nadal is done :oops:

zagor
04-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Bingo,someone gets it.

cknobman
04-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Congrats Rafa you looked great this last week.

But lets not get over zealous here Rafa did only play Verdasco in the final. That guy folds faster Rita, your friendly Holdiay Inn room maid!

drakulie
04-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Wow, old thread revived. So for those of you who revived it, do you feel Rafa is done or not??

Samantha
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
No.

Sentinel
06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Almost done.

Almost done beating everyone else. Only Niko left, iirc ;-)

Bud
06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Nadal capture's his 5th FO (and 7th GS title) without dropping a set!

This caps off his triple win of all 3 clay court masters 1000 titles (MC 2010, Rome 2010, Madrid 2010)... going undefeated in the 2010 CC season while dropping only 2 sets.

Nadal the new #1 (again)! :)

davey25
06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
And look who started thread thread. No surprise.

ViscaB
06-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Love these bumps. Keep them coming.

roysid
06-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Well he is not done. Far from it :)

Battle royale is at Wimbledon. Two principal knights Nadal and Federer.
Other challengers Roddick, Murray, Djoker.
And that dark horse Soderling.

Let' see who wins

drive
06-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Did Drakulie get owned? It seems so..

wayne2467
06-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Must admit before this clay court season i thought Nadal was finished as far as slams were concerned. If anything he looked better then ever during RG this year. Sets up the rest of the year nicely and should make Wimbledon very interesting.

Sangria
06-07-2010, 02:14 AM
Wow, old thread revived. So for those of you who revived it, do you feel Rafa is done or not??

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/2903/soderlingyouzhny13.jpg (http://img686.imageshack.us/i/soderlingyouzhny13.jpg/)

ViscaB
06-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Rafa is done. He is done with Soderling.

coolblue123
06-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Rafa is done. He is done with Soderling.

Great Quote ViscaB! LOL!

oscar_2424
06-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Drakulie should retire :)

sureshs
06-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Nadal is done with losing and injuries. Only wins from now on.

TMF
06-07-2010, 06:35 AM

Last year SW19, many ppl including some of his fans questioned his future. Whether it was a real/fake injury, burned out, lost a step which will end his run, they had their doubt. It happened to Mac and Wilander. So it isn't surprising if Nadal follow the same direction. IF the OP was correct, you would say he's a genius.

PS: Atleast it was way more plausible than you saying both WS making the FO final. LOL!

drakulie
06-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Did Drakulie get owned? It seems so..

Please read the OP. I never said he was done, rather asked what others thoughts on the matter were.

AAAA
06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Nadal himself thought he was done which partly explains why was bawling into his towel yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8724908.stm

Interesting he said winning the slam was more important to him than the #1 ranking.

Gorecki
06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Drakulie should retire :)

Oscar should have not come back turned into a nadalete :)

vortex1
06-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Nadal himself thought he was done which partly explains why was bawling into his towel yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8724908.stm

Interesting he said winning the slam was more important to him than the #1 ranking.

That's because grand slam is more important than #1. Just ask Safina and Jankovic.

jackson vile
06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
EPIC FAIL!

Bud
06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
EPIC FAIL!

Rub it in :shock:

Rippy
06-07-2010, 01:47 PM
EPIC FAIL!

What was epic fail? You didn't quote a post... if you were referring to the original post, it was simply asking the question "Is Rafa done?" It wasn't saying "OMG RAFA IS DONE LOL!!!!!!111"

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Fedal is done IMO. This is a bit of a transition period atm.

anointedone
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Fedal is done IMO. This is a bit of a transition period atm.

Transitioning to what exactly? The next generation taking over? There isnt a single guy 20 or younger in the top 100. Or maybe you meant Davydenko or Roddick taking over the mens game. Or the headcases Djokovic and Murray.

CocaCola
07-06-2010, 08:26 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SRihZSAUg3I/AAAAAAAAGmw/8ulg2vmqcyE/s400/nadal+presser.jpg

vortex1
07-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Rafa: from being "done" in the beginning of the year to GOAT candidate today :)