PDA

View Full Version : Nadal VS Wawrinka exhibition.

babbette
06-19-2009, 06:53 AM
A radio broadcaster apparently said Rafa won the first set and is moving better than yesterday.

Let's stay tuned..........................

batz
06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
A radio broadcaster apparently said Rafa won the first set and is moving better than yesterday.

Let's stay tuned..........................

Can confirm this - it was Overend on the BBC. Said Rafa was sprinting for droppers and appeared to be in no pain. The 1600 news just said 'things are looking better for Nadal for Wimbledon'. There will be another update in a minute on the sports news- i'll post when I hear

malakas
06-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Fast forward...Nadal wins the match,says he's not very well but he will do his best,no?2 weeks later he reaches the final.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Did our prayers work? So much drama! The suspense is harrowing... Does anyone have more info about what's happening yet?

zagor
06-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Fast forward...Nadal wins the match,says he's not very well but he will do his best,no?2 weeks later he reaches the final.

LOL,I wouldn't be suprised at that one bit.

rommil
06-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Did our prayers work? So much drama! The suspense is harrowing... Does anyone have more info about what's happening yet?

Not bad for a "cripple", ain't it veronique?

babbette
06-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm shaking and my palms are sweaty....quite pathetic, but oh well!!!

Rafa??????????????:neutral:

batz
06-19-2009, 06:59 AM
No further news on the 1605 sports update other than what I've already posted.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Not bad for a "cripple", ain't it veronique?
I always say I want drama, not routine. Well I think Rafa is making an extra effort just for me...

JennyS
06-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Roddick and Murray must be crying right now.

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 07:01 AM
So.......is Rafa okay? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:02 AM
No further news on the 1605 sports update other than what I've already posted.

Admist my hysteria yesterday I did say it was normal for him to start off slow, and today....the man is non stop drama. Of course it's still not confirmed he will still play but...vamos Rafa! If you're fit, play chico http://emoticons4u.com/crazy/061.gif but only if you're 100% http://emoticons4u.com/crazy/061.gif

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Well I think Rafa is making an extra effort just for me...

That makes me thinking...

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:07 AM
So.......is Rafa okay? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Yes but Murray or Roddick won't be when they run into him at Wimbledon.

Mafia13
06-19-2009, 07:08 AM
It sounds like he's better, stan is a great player even though grass probably is his worst surface. Best of luck at wimby, it would really be a shame if the defending champ didn't participate

batz
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Yes but Murray or Roddick won't be when they run into him at Wimbledon.

Yep, just like the last time they met in a slam. Oh, wait...

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Yep, just like the last time they met in a slam. Oh, wait...

I'm just kidding Batz,of course Murray has a shot at Nadal(Fed as well if they meet in the final),especially if they really did speed up the grass so Murray can take greater use of his serve and flat groundstrokes.

batz
06-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm just kidding Batz,of course Murray has a shot at Nadal(Fed as well if they meet in the final),especially if they really did speed up the grass so Murray can take greater use of his serve and flat groundstrokes.

So am I Zagor - you're OK. I should've added a wink ;). Let's hope Rafa makes it, that he's 100% and that if they do meet - that the best man wins. Cheers.

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:16 AM
that the best man wins. Cheers.

screw that! Rafa all the way http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 07:19 AM

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Lauri%20Apple/tissues.jpg

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:19 AM
So am I Zagor - you're OK. I should've added a wink ;). Let's hope Rafa makes it, that he's 100% and that if they do meet - that the best man wins. Cheers.

Agreed,I look forward to a potential Nadal-Murray clash in semis and either of them against Fed in the final(if Fed reaches it).Should be a good tourney.

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:20 AM
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Lauri%20Apple/tissues.jpg

sorry. i'm such a girl sometimes.:oops: I'm already exploding with joy and it's still not even confirmed yet.:oops:

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:21 AM
God babbette, I'm just worried if he can make it through the first round, reaching the semis would be a miracle in the circumstances!

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 07:21 AM
sorry. i'm such a girl sometimes.:oops: I'm already exploding with joy and it's still not even confirmed yet.:oops:

That's great to hear! :):)

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:22 AM
God babbette, I'm just worried if he can make it through the first round, reaching the semis would be a miracle in the circumstances!

Oh comeon Veronique http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif he said if he's not 100% he won't play. We have to hope and trust that he will only go ahead and play if he feels 100% and believes he has even the slightest chance of defending his title.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh comeon Veronique http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif he said if he's not 100% he won't play. We have to hope and trust that he will only go ahead and play if he feels 100% and believes he has even the slightest chance of defending his title.
Yes, HE has to believe in it but I remember too well what happened at USO 2007. Sorry I can't be more optimistic but at this point I'm gonna take it day by day. Anything else seems unrealistic to me and any match won will seem like a huge victory.

iriraz
06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
It seems Nadal lost the second set in a tiebreak and lost also the super tiebreak that followed.But the good news is that he looked much better

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Lost the second tie break. LOL, hahahahaha :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHA! http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif

iriraz
06-19-2009, 07:44 AM
For all interesting in the latest news regarding Nadal u can check out on http://twitter.com/Pearcesport

zagor
06-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Lost the second tie break. LOL, hahahahaha :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHA! http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif

LOL,you all right? It's just an exhibition,I'm pretty sure Nadal was saving himself,he'll give his full strength at the real matches.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Babbette I'm telling you, he may decide to participate (that in itself would be a miracle) but he's not in a condition to lift the trophy, sorry, you're better off making your peace with it right now.

seffina
06-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Babbette I'm telling you, he may decide to participate (that in itself would be a miracle) but he's not in a condition to lift the trophy, sorry, you're better off making your peace with it right now.

There's no harm in being optimistic. I'll make peace when and if he loses.

Liv3 For It
06-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Did Rafa just FAKE losing to Hewitt?

So that it looks like he has an injury?

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:50 AM

For selfish reasons if he wants to play just one match so I can have the chance to watch him then play on. Nadal. :mrgreen:

Na, if he's not right then don't play:cry:

wangs78
06-19-2009, 07:53 AM

LOL. Yes, I can totally see that happening. In the semifinal he will take several medical timeouts to address knee issues and win in five sets before facing hopefully Roger in the final.

wangs78
06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes, HE has to believe in it but I remember too well what happened at USO 2007. Sorry I can't be more optimistic but at this point I'm gonna take it day by day. Anything else seems unrealistic to me and any match won will seem like a huge victory.

I think he would play if he was at less than 100%. That said, who knows how bad his injuries are. We should give him the benefit of the doubt, but Nadal is the only player that I have ever seen who seems to be able to win matches simply by force of will. Injuries be damned!

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 07:56 AM
LOL. Yes, I can totally see that happening. In the semifinal he will take several medical timeouts to address knee issues and win in five sets before facing hopefully Roger in the final.
But he didn't win the match and it's highly unlikely he will reach the semifinal. You guys are ridiculous. Unlike you I do believe the injury is real and Rafa's confidence is currently low.

vtmike
06-19-2009, 07:57 AM
But he didn't win the match and it's highly unlikely he will reach the semifinal. You guys are ridiculous. Unlike you I do believe the injury is real and Rafa's confidence is currently low.

Injury - Nope not buying that (atleast not as serious as they are making it out to be)

Low confidence - Yes

shadows
06-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Press Conference at 7pm tonight apparently, so about 2 hours till we know :/

tudwell
06-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Did Rafa just FAKE losing to Hewitt?

So that it looks like he has an injury?
That's a dumb idea, because then all his opponents will be a lot more confident that they can beat him.

It would be better for Nadal to quell all dissent early on by dominating these exhibitions. But apparently he lost both of them...

babbette
06-19-2009, 07:59 AM
P8ta Rafa are you in or out? Let us know now not at 7 so I can breathe again and leave the computer http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif

bolo
06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I hope espnnews will cover the press conference, I would like to watch that.

rommil
06-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Sorry but this whole Nadal drama got very old long time ago. When he was at the doctor's and established that he had an injury, whatever it was, then he should have decided for his sake to play or not. He knows that if he enters Wimbledon those 2 weeks, if he gets far, will be very gruelling and will make the injury, if he really has one, worse. C'mon, that's basic logic. Even if he does good at the exos, that's not a guarantee he will do well at Wimby. In fact it will make the injury, if he really has one, aggravated. All this pressers like announcing by lunchtime tomorrow at BBC and now 7pm tonight if he plays or not is really tiring. All these talk about not playing if he doesn't feel 100% is overdue. He should now by now. He needs to make his decision silently and stick by it. In fact he should have done it by now. All these being said, I hope we will have a wonderful two weeks of Wimbledon, with or without Rafa. As always, may the best one wins.

LeftSHBH
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Nadal lost:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8085394.stm

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I just have a fair question to Nadal fans (no bashing, just a question):

If Rafa is so injuired, why does he play exos? Why does he not save his energy for Wimbeldon?

maximo
06-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Nadal lost:

Nadal won't be playing Wimbledon, guaranteed. :(

rommil
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I hope espnnews will cover the press conference, I would like to watch that.

The actual 5 minute press conference will be preceeded by a 1 hour marathon flamenco dance off, a 30 minute documentary about Uncle Toni and another 30 minute story about a Mallorcan woman who defied odds to become a successful belly dancer in Munich.

LeftSHBH

If Rafa is so injuired, why does he play exos? Why does he not save his energy for Wimbeldon?

Obviously to see if he's ready to compete. And obviously he's not. I'm betting he's pulling out Wimby this year.

bolo
Nadal won't be playing Wimbledon, guaranteed. :(

I have revised my expectations downward as well. I think he has less chance of playing now than 2 days ago. Why do you think he will not be playing?

mandy01
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM

If Rafa is so injuired, why does he play exos? Why does he not save his energy for Wimbeldon? I'll answer this if you dont mind...
Nadal playing these exhos is completely justified because its essential for him to see how he's moving in a match-situation.
Its OK..not a big deal.If he decides to play and not opt out he will have atleast some match-practice regardless of the result.

wangs78
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry but this whole Nadal drama got very old long time ago. When he was at the doctor's and established that he had an injury, whatever it was, then he should have decided for his sake to play or not. He knows that if he enters Wimbledon those 2 weeks, if he gets far, will be very gruelling and will make the injury, if he really has one, worse. C'mon, that's basic logic. Even if he does good at the exos, that's not a guarantee he will do well at Wimby. In fact it will make the injury, if he really has one, aggravated. All this pressers like announcing by lunchtime tomorrow at BBC and now 7pm tonight if he plays or not is really tiring. All these talk about not playing if he doesn't feel 100% is overdue. He should now by now. He needs to make his decision silently and stick by it. In fact he should have done it by now. All these being said, I hope we will have a wonderful two weeks of Wimbledon, with or without Rafa. As always, may the best one wins.

If you were in Nadal's shoes you would understand why he's having a tough time deciding. If I'm the defending Wimby champ and despite an injury I can still have a chance to win I would consider playing. Top athletes are strong-willed and always believe that despite injuries or other circumstances, they can pull it off. To not be able to defend a Wimby title is pretty disappointing. I think any defending champion would have a very tough time deciding.

babbette
I don't want to panic Nadal fans, but the press were only expecting him to hold news conference at Wimbledon if he is pulling out
http://twitter.com/Pearcesport

suspense suspense!! whatever man, lay it on us.
If he's going out he's going out the Nadal way...........with drama!

kimbahpnam
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45946000/jpg/_45946209_nadal282.jpg

MichaelChang
Nadal lost:

what, he did NOT win the 1st set, and instead he lost to Stan in straights? :confused:

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't understand. Did Nadal beat Wawrinka or lost to him? Reports are unclear - some say Nadal won the 1st set while the link provided by LeftSHBH say Nadal lost in straight sets.

I'm confused.

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 08:22 AM
The Spaniard, plagued by knee problems, struggled with his movement during an exhibition match in London on Thursday in a 6-4 6-3 loss to Lleyton Hewitt.

And Nadal went down 6-4 7-6 to Stanislas Wawrinka when he returned to the Hurlingham Club on Friday.

His Wimbledon defence is scheduled to begin against Arnaud Clement on Monday.

Nadal was forced to withdraw from last week's tournament at Queen's Club with knee trouble and underwent intense rehabilitation in Barcelona.

shadows
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't understand. Did Nadal beat Wawrinka or lost to him? Reports are unclear - some say Nadal won the 1st set while the link provided by LeftSHBH say Nadal lost in straight sets.

I'm confused.

Think there's some dodgy reporting going on, all the in progress accounts seem to have had Rafa winning the first set

Sounds like Rafa won the first 6-4, Stan won in a tiebreak 7-6, and then Stan won the champions tiebreak to take the match as well.

maximo
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Its over im afraid...

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I'll answer this if you dont mind...
Nadal playing these exhos is completely justified because its essential for him to see how he's moving in a match-situation.
Its OK..not a big deal.If he decides to play and not opt out he will have atleast some match-practice regardless of the result.

Fair enough, that's one way to looks at it, but it also makes him play more matches thus risking his knees into further damage. Apparently he lost both matches too, so that must not be great for his confidence as well. :(

tintin
no chance in hell for Rafa to pullout!

tudwell

I'm confused.

I've heard elsewhere that Wawrinka won in a super tiebreak after winning the second set in a tiebreak. But the BBC says he won in straights. Either way, I think Wawrinka won.

rommil
06-19-2009, 08:25 AM
If you were in Nadal's shoes you would understand why he's having a tough time deciding. If I'm the defending Wimby champ and despite an injury I can still have a chance to win I would consider playing. Top athletes are strong-willed and always believe that despite injuries or other circumstances, they can pull it off. To not be able to defend a Wimby title is pretty disappointing. I think any defending champion would have a very tough time deciding.

I didn't say it wouldn't be disappointing but if it's really an injury and by going to the doctor's they know the extent of it, then Nadal would have an idea or the doctor's would have advised him on what to do. Nadal knows that if he enters Wimbledon how taxing it will be to him when he plays. I guess the problem here is that the Nadal camp has been talking about it so much they are painting a grim picture of the injury. It is possible that the injury might not be as bad as we perceive. That's why I wish they had made the decision some time ago not to play or if he decides to play, then go about it quietly and hope for the best.

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 08:25 AM
yea...losing to Wawrinka and Hewitt can't bode well for his confidence..who has to play Murray in his draw

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 08:28 AM

I agree with this. Further, I guess there is a conflict inside the Nadal camp. Nadal himself does not want to pull out, he wants to play as long as he can bear the pain on knees. Toni, however, does not recommend him to play. That is why Toni has been all over the place on press.

LeftSHBH
06-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Like someone else said on the forum, if I were him I'd heal up and get ready for the next Masters/US Open. He already has Wimby, he should concentrate on US Open.

mandy01
06-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Fair enough, that's one way to looks at it, but it also makes him play more matches thus risking his knees into further damage. Apparently he lost both matches too, so that must not be great for his confidence as well. :(
Exhibition matches are usually light so its OK.He's not that much of a delicate flower.

rommil
06-19-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree with this. Further, I guess there is a conflict inside the Nadal camp. Nadal himself does not want to pull out, he wants to play as long as he can bear the pain on knees. Toni, however, does not recommend him to play. That is why Toni has been all over the place on press.

If Rafa and Toni are that close then they should confer with each other before saying anything to the press. Whatever it is going on with this whole charade, there seems to be an element of either greed or pride involved.

NamRanger
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Exhibition matches are usually light so its OK.He's not that much of a delicate flower.

The way he plays exhibitions and practices; I don't think so.

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Well, the thing is Toni has been quite active recently(after the FO loss) and sort of the speaker of the Nadal camp. So the past couple of days it has been like this: Toni talks the talk, Nadal keeps mouth shut (and I think he is not in a good mood).

Rhino
06-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I heard Wawrinka won 6-4, 6-7, 10-3