PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's withdraw may be the best thing for tennis as a whole

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I know Nadal fans will be flaming me for this, but hear me out. With Federer winning the French, we now have a guy who can win back #1 and become the GS leader. Sounds like a great year. But tennis as a whole could benefit in popularity because Rafa isn't playing Wimbledon.

Now, the 2 contenders would be Murray and Federer. Now imagine this for a moment: Murray becomes the first Brit to win Wimbledon in what, 60-70 years? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Federer would become #1 with a berth into the final, so the man loses his #1 ranking and then gets it back and finally, a healthy Rafa wins the US Open. The year's highlights:

2 players win the career slam in the same year
A British man wins Wimbledon after over 50 years of futility
Federer regains #1 (if I'm not mistaken)

It may not be history with Federer taking over the GS lead, but it would be an incredibly historic year for tennis and it's popularity would soar.

Granted, this is all hypothetical. Nadal may not win the US Open. He may be hurt during the US Open series events. Murray may choke yet again. Fed may get hurt.

But that really is IMO the best way this year could fan out. The storylines going into next year would be incredibly compelling.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
^^^

Won't work because Federer has to WIN Wimbledon in order for him to regain the #1 ranking after Wimbledon even if Nadal doesn't play. Getting to the final is not enough for Federer and Nadal will still retain the #1 ranking.

NotAtTheNet
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
No, the best thing for tennis is having the best players out there playing each other. At least theres still the USO... in the meantime, go A-Rod!

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
^^^

Won't work because Federer has to WIN Wimbledon in order for him to regain the #1 ranking after Wimbledon even if Nadal doesn't play. Getting to the final is not enough for Federer and Nadal will still retain the #1 ranking.

Alright, but still, A Brit winning Wimbledon and 2 players winning the career slam is still a historic year.

Sephiroth619
06-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Great scenario though I would prefer Fed winning Wimby and US Open.

maximo
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Alright, but still, A Brit winning Wimbledon and 2 players winning the career slam is still a historic year.

Spot on.

MichaelChang
06-19-2009, 11:46 AM
For Nadal to recover better, he has to cut his play schedule, especially hard court plays. Clay is best for knee and hard court the worst. I do not think Nadal can win US open this year, no, it won't work, at least not this year.

FedererForehand
06-19-2009, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=S H O W S T O P P E R !;3577148]I know Nadal fans will be flaming me for this, but hear me out. With Federer winning the French, we now have a guy who can win back #1 and become the GS leader. Sounds like a great year. But tennis as a whole could benefit in popularity because Rafa isn't playing Wimbledon.
QUOTE]

Thats a great and good but what that says to me is that Roger needed (1) someone else to take down Nadal and (2) needed an injury to break the GS record. Would have been a better story IMO if federer and Nadal could have met in the Wimbledon final from there Federer handles his business. If you are truly the GOAT then earn it by beating the best that the competition has to offer.

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
This sucks i really wanted that epic final now were left with Murray ;) just kidding i hope rafa the best and that he gets to a speedy recovery

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:56 AM
For Nadal to recover better, he has to cut his play schedule, especially hard court plays. Clay is best for knee and hard court the worst. I do not think Nadal can win US open this year, no, it won't work, at least not this year.
Why not now he can rest up and have more time to prepare for the hardcourt season pulling out is tough but its the right thing to do nadal has won wimbledon and has gained the #1 rank so its a 'been there done that' situation nadal should focus on US open

dh003i
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=S H O W S T O P P E R !;3577148]I know Nadal fans will be flaming me for this, but hear me out. With Federer winning the French, we now have a guy who can win back #1 and become the GS leader. Sounds like a great year. But tennis as a whole could benefit in popularity because Rafa isn't playing Wimbledon.
QUOTE]

Thats a great and good but what that says to me is that Roger needed (1) someone else to take down Nadal and (2) needed an injury to break the GS record. Would have been a better story IMO if federer and Nadal could have met in the Wimbledon final from there Federer handles his business. If you are truly the GOAT then earn it by beating the best that the competition has to offer.

Which, at the moment, would not be Nadal.

It is BS to discredit what Federer does at Wimbledon because Nadal has with-drawn. That isn't Federer's fault. And while it is unfortunate that Nadal had to with-draw, that is really the fault of him and his team for playing him too much.

Btw, Federer already beat Nadal at Madrid, where the surface clearly favors Nadal.

Hopefully, he recovers and decreases the number of tournaments he plays; because he will need to do that to play at his best level in the slams.

ronalditop
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Nadal seriously needs to change his game. He should attack more and defend less, so he will have to stop pushing so much.

malakas
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
No it isn't!Whatever happens an injury and withdrawal of a player,especially a defendin champ is a sad thing for tennis.

dh003i
06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
No it isn't!Whatever happens an injury and withdrawal of a player,especially a defendin champ is a sad thing for tennis.

I agree. Although at this point, the withdrawal is obviously the lesser of two evils. Because if he plays, it is almost impossible that he can win; he probably wouldn't even make it out of the first round (having lost exhibitions to Wawrinka and Hewitt). So it's just strain on his knee for no benefit.

tahiti
06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Perhaps Showstopper your name is intened to draw attention and sensationalise things. How could anyone's injury "be the best thing for tennis" what a ridiculous and callous thought.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM

But it would be sad to see the defending champ lose early because his knee was killing him.

T1000
06-19-2009, 12:22 PM
^^^

no he doesn't. in the thread about murray winning wimbledon, malakas posted a summary on number one senarios, the first post on page 2. if fed makes the semifinals, he will be number one in august or something like that.

Danstevens
06-19-2009, 01:05 PM
But it would be sad to see the defending champ lose early because his knee was killing him.

I agree, I'd rather Nadal take some time out and give up his Wimbledon title with dignity than lose/withdraw early on playing badly and in pain. Hopefully he can make a good recovery and maybe finish off the season with some titles.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
no he doesn't. in the thread about murray winning wimbledon, malakas posted a summary on number one senarios, the first post on page 2. if fed makes the semifinals, he will be number one in august or something like that.
I said right after Wimbledon, meaning on Monday, July 6th.

Everyone knows that Federer will regain the #1 ranking at some point later this summer now that Nadal is out for at least a month.

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I said right after Wimbledon, meaning on Monday, July 6th.

Everyone knows that Federer will regain the #1 ranking at some point later this summer now that Nadal is out for at least a month.

After having is French Open title and Wimbledon title unfairly stolen from him its going to make Nadal even more determined to take Federer's USO title imo Nadal is winning the USO.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
After having is French Open title and Wimbledon title unfairly stolen from him its going to make Nadal even more determined to take Federer's USO title imo Nadal is winning the USO.
With his bad knees and terrible record at the US Open? No way!

T1000
06-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Soderling beat him fair and square, and its Nadal's fault he's not playing, not Federer's

maximo
Hold on here, Murray is winning the US Open.

T1000
I said right after Wimbledon, meaning on Monday, July 6th.Everyone knows that Federer will regain the #1 ranking at some point later this summer now that Nadal is out for at least a month.

My bad, didn't see that

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM

His knees will be fine by then. He will then beat Federer in the final and then will have beaten Federer at every single slam and Federer has only beaten Nadal at Wimbledon.

T1000
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM

why do you bring murray into every conversation? I don't bring hewitt into everything

maximo
06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
why do you bring murray into every conversation? I don't bring hewitt into everything

You bring Federer in every conversation dodo...

T1000
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
You bring Federer in every conversation dodo...

no i don't but nice try :roll:

フェデラー
06-19-2009, 01:16 PM
^^^

You are far off by A LONGGG SHOT. If Fed won wimbledon and Nadal didnt make it to the SEMIFINALS he would lose the no. 1 ranking. So its even easier for Federer now.

maximo
06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Your in denial but nice try.

woody88
06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
thread has been rated accordingly.

フェデラー
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Hold on here, Murray will get shat upon by Federer again.

malakas
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM

hey!!!don't blame maximo,she's Murray's mom!!!

gj011
06-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Ridiculous thread.

jamesblakefan#1
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Why waste your time posting in such a ridiculous thread?

yellowoctopus
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
If you are truly the GOAT then earn it by beating the best that the competition has to offer.

In my opinion, competition also includes being able to sustain certain level of play and successes over a period of time.

Also, I don't care how much of a GOAT a person may be, it is impossible to beat everyone all the time. Every greatest of greats are vulnerable to certain players with specific type of game. I believe a person greatness can be measured by his accomplishments among other things, but the whole 'greatest' discussion is really more of vanity, subject to individual's opinion.

clayman2000
06-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Is a QF, 4R and a SF really that bad.

Also remember he does have 2 Canada Masters titles, and Olympic title on a fast surface and a Madrid title on a fast surface.

No reason to say that 2 months off wont bring him back to 100%

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
His knees will be fine by then. He will then beat Federer in the final and then will have beaten Federer at every single slam and Federer has only beaten Nadal at Wimbledon.
You mean like the way Nadal beat Murray, Ferrer, Youznhy, Blake, and Roddick at the US Open? :oops:

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
You mean like the way Nadal beat Murray, Ferrer, Youznhy, Blake, and Roddick at the US Open? :oops:

Nadal never got past the semis in Australia before this year and looked what happened.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2009-02/44818132.jpg

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
You are far off by A LONGGG SHOT. If Fed won wimbledon and Nadal didnt make it to the SEMIFINALS he would lose the no. 1 ranking. So its even easier for Federer now.
Huh? That's what I said!

Federer has to actually WIN Wimbledon. The OP stated that Federer can regain the #1 ranking by just getting to the finals but losing to Murray. He can't. It doesn't matter if Nadal plays Wimbledon or not. If Federer does NOT WIN Wimbledon, Nadal will remain #1. Not Federer nor Murray, even if Murray wins Wimbledon. Thus, the only way Nadal can lose the #1 ranking is if Federer WINS Wimbledon. It makes no difference if Nadal loses before the semis or if he doesn't play at all. Federer has to win, not just make the final.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Nadal never got past the semis in Australia before this year and looked what happened.

Yeah, Djokovic won the Australian Open, too, beating Federer en route. But look at what Federer did to him at the US Open the past couple of years?

The Australian Open is NOT the US Open. Completely different tournament, conditions, and surface. Agassi also beat Sampras at the AO plenty of times, but in all the many times they've played at the US Open, Agassi was NEVER able to beat Sampras at the US Open. Case closed.

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, Djokovic won the Australian Open, too, beating Federer en route. But look at what Federer did to him at the US Open the past couple of years?

The Australian Open is NOT the US Open. Completely different tournament, conditions, and surface. Agassi also beat Sampras at the AO plenty of times, but in all the many times they've played at the US Open, Agassi was NEVER able to beat Sampras at the US Open. Case closed.

Nadal isn't Djokovic and Nadal and Federer aren't Sampras and Agassi case not closed.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Nadal isn't Djokovic and Nadal and Federer aren't Sampras and Agassi case not closed.
You're right. Federer is the GOAT. And Sampras is not. And Agassi has a career Slam. And Nadal does not. :oops:

You only need to look at the Masters Cups to see what Federer does to Nadal on a fast hard court.

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 02:28 PM
You're right. Federer is the GOAT. And Sampras is not. :oops:

You only need to look at the Masters Cups to see what Federer does to Nadal on a fast hard court.

Sampras would take Federer to the cleaners at the USO and Wimbledon.

Enigma_87
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM

As he took him in the 01' Wimbey as a defending champion and Federer 2 good years away from his first slam?

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
haha don't make me laugh :)

Dutch-Guy
06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
You're right. Federer is the GOAT.
"GOAT" according to whom?
It seems as if your purpose on this board is bashing Rafa.Has #1 player ever lost 1-6,3-6,0-6 in a grand slam final?

RalphNYC
06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Best thing would be Roger beating Rafa in an epic 5 setter to make the rivalry more intense.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:33 PM
You mean like the way Hewitt destroyed Sampras 7-6, 6-1, 6-1 at the US Open while Federer destroyed Hewitt 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 at the US Open? :oops:

zagor
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM

I doubt that but the truth is we'll never know,we can just speculate.Don't forget that Fed won 5 USO in a row while Sampras in his prime had loses to Yzaga and Korda there.

zagor
06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
On topic,Nadal's withdrawal isn't good for tennis at all.It's completely the opposite actually but might be best for him in the long run.

woodrow1029
And, remind me again, who won the only meeting between Federer and Sampras? And what tournament was it at?

Cesc Fabregas
You mean like the way Hewitt destroyed Sampras 7-6, 6-1, 6-1 at the US Open while Federer destroyed Hewitt 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 at the US Open? :oops:

Ageing Sampras who was gassed after going through Rafter, Agassi and Safin. Sampras was also well passed his prime by then after winning 0 titles that year and Federer was in his prime when he beat Hewitt.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
According to everyone who knows anything about tennis.

It seems as if your purpose on this board is bashing Rafa.Has #1 player ever lost 1-6,3-6,0-6 in a grand slam final?
Has a #1 player ever even participated in a Grand Slam when he had mono?

Federer didn't withdraw like Nadal just did, did he? Nadal doesn't want to get embarrassed.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Ageing Sampras who was gassed after going through Rafter, Agassi and Safin. Sampras was also well passed his prime by then after winning 0 titles that year and Federer was in his prime when he beat Hewitt.
So being "gassed" getting to the final is now the standard excuse for getting your butt kicked in the final? You must be a *********.

Why don't you go tell that to Edberg, who had to win three 5-set matches in a row (Krajicek, Lendl, Chang), including that 5 1/2 hour marathon versus Chang in the semis, and then came back the very next day and kicked Sampras' butt in the final at the '92 US Open? :oops:

Dutch-Guy
06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
And who "knows everything" about tennis?
Has a #1 player ever even participated in a Grand Slam when he had mono?
Cilic had mono too.Did he participate?
Federer didn't withdraw like Nadal just did, did he? Nadal doesn't want to get embarrassed.
By whom?

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
So being "gassed" getting to the final is now the standard excuse for getting your butt kicked in the final? You must be a *********.

Why don't you go tell that to Edberg, who had to win three 5-set matches in a row (Krajicek, Lendl, Chang), including that 5 1/2 hour marathon versus Chang in the semis, and then came back the very next day and kicked Sampras' butt in the final at the '92 US Open? :oops:

Edberg was 26 whilst Pete was 30 and everyone knew Pete had stamina problems due to his Thalassemia. Oh you should change your Sampras avatar to a Federer one because you are clearly a bigger Fed fan.

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Hmm how did this become Federer vs Sampras? I bet at least one guy with Sampras in the avatar is involved.

zagor
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Hmm how did this become Federer vs Sampras? I bet at least one guy with Sampras in the avatar is involved.

Since Fed won FO,this sort of stuff happens very often.It's becoming a bit ridiculous.

woodrow1029
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
LOL.. 10 char

Enigma_87
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Since Fed won FO,this sort of stuff happens very often.It's becoming a bit ridiculous.

the funny thing is that the OT was about Nadal...

jergosh
06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Federer has to actually WIN Wimbledon. The OP stated that Federer can regain the #1 ranking by just getting to the finals but losing to Murray. He can't. It doesn't matter if Nadal plays Wimbledon or not. If Federer does NOT WIN Wimbledon, Nadal will remain #1. Not Federer nor Murray, even if Murray wins Wimbledon. Thus, the only way Nadal can lose the #1 ranking is if Federer WINS Wimbledon. It makes no difference if Nadal loses before the semis or if he doesn't play at all. Federer has to win, not just make the final.

Let me get this straight:
If Fed wins, he gets additional 600 pts.
If he makes the final, he defends his points.
If Nadal made QF, he would've lost 1500 points (500 pts for GS QF, is that right?)
As it is, Nadal loses 2000 pts.

Thus, if Fed wins he'll make up 2100 points, up to 12,720. Nadal currently has 12,735. How can Fed become no. 1 even if he wins? Of course when Olympics points (800) drop off, it'll be pretty much clear but then it doesn't matter if Fed has won SW19 or not.

zagor
06-19-2009, 02:59 PM
the funny thing is that the OT was about Nadal...

I know,this is really getting stupid.But I disagree with the OP anyway,Nadal's withdrawal can't be good for tennis in any way or shape.

Enigma_87
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Let me get this straight:
If Fed wins, he gets additional 600 pts.
If he makes the final, he defends his points.
If Nadal made QF, he would've lost 1500 points (500 pts for GS QF, is that right?)
As it is, Nadal loses 2000 pts.

Thus, if Fed wins he'll make up 2100 points, up to 12,720. Nadal currently has 12,735. How can Fed become no. 1 even if he wins? Of course when Olympics points (800) drop off, it'll be pretty much clear but then it doesn't matter if Fed has won SW19 or not.

Nah. After pulling out, Nadal loses 2000 points straight away. He'd be 10 735 after Wimbey. If Federer wins, he gains 600 points, thus adding to the current 10 620, he'd have 11 220. He will be top and with Nadal defending 1000 points in Canada, 450 in Cincy, and Federer having to defend 160 points, all he needs to have his #1 spot until the US is to reach QF in one of Cincy/Canada MS. Even if Nadal(highly unlikely) wins them back to back, he still can't catch up.

Guru
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
This is terrible news and it's killed the whole slam.

I really hope Federer doesn't win
i will take Murray or even Roddick
maybe even Novak... maybe.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 03:13 PM
And who "knows everything" about tennis?
Who said "everything"? :confused: I said "anything".

Cilic had mono too.Did he participate?
When was Cilic ever the #1 player in the world? Did I blink and miss it? :oops:

By whom?
By Clement, by Hewitt, by Roddick, by Murray, by Federer, by Mr. Defeat.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Edberg was 26 whilst Pete was 30 and everyone knew Pete had stamina problems due to his Thalassemia. Oh you should change your Sampras avatar to a Federer one because you are clearly a bigger Fed fan.
You're right. An athlete with "stamina problems" clearly can't be the GOAT. :oops:

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 03:17 PM
You're right. An athlete with "stamina problems" clearly can't be the GOAT. :oops:

No it enhances his GOAT claim that he was able to smash the record books whilst having this problem.

Dutch-Guy
06-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Who said "everything"? :confused: I said "anything".
Ok who are those people that "know anything" about tennis.
When was Cilic ever the #1 player in the world? Did I blink and miss it? :oops:
It's not about having mono,it's about playing.Cilic had mono and didn't play.Fed did.
By Clement, by Hewitt, by Roddick, by Murray
What are these blokes h2h against Rafa on grass?

zagor
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM

It's not about having mono,it's about playing.Cilic had mono and didn't play.Fed did.

I don't think Cilic ever had mono man,you're probably mistaking him with Ancic.

plum
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
This is a Great Blow to the *** Picking (Oops) Nadal Fans. See, injuries count; especailly against a player giving heat to a potential GOAT. Honestly, not that I want Nadal to stay injured, but if he does, for even half a year-- and Federer shines for that to 15/16 Gland Slams: Then all you Federer haters can play air-tennis in your closets-- with of course-- a small racquet-- to go with your small penises.

BreakPoint
06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
If you have to ask, then you're not one of them. :(

Yes, Federer didn't even allow a debilitating illness like mono stop him from playing. That's what makes him the GOAT in most people's minds. :)

Um....Hewitt just beat Nadal on grass yesterday. :oops:

If Nadal thought he could beat all of those players, would he have pulled out?

Dutch-Guy
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
And you're one of "them"?
Yes, Federer didn't even allow a debilitating illness like mono stop him from playing.
hahahaha ask Ancic.
That's what makes him the GOAT in most people's minds. :)
i most Fed fanboys minds.
You won't find exhos results on ATP site,which means they means nothing.

If Nadal thought he could beat all of those players, would he have pulled out.
Hell yeah he 'd. Why 'd he jeopardize his career?

prosealster
06-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Yes, Federer didn't even allow a debilitating illness like mono stop him from playing. That's what makes him the GOAT in most people's minds. :)

If Nadal thought he could beat all of those players, would he have pulled out?

Hey BP...no point arguing with someone who gets cilic and ancic mixed up, and he/she also asked who cahill is on another thread.... clearly his view doesnt matter :)

Tennis_Bum
06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
QUOTE]

Well, Fed can't earn it as the way you describe it simply because Nadal doesn't give him a chance. Had Nadal made it to the FO final, Fed could have a chance to beat him there, yes, Fed could lose too, but at least Fed would have a chance to play Nadal. But things couldn't be the way you said at Wimbledon either, Fed has to make it to the final but Nadal will not give him a chance there either. Frankly, I don't think Nadal would go beyond 4th round at Wimbledon after a shocking loss at the FO.

Fed is doing his part by getting to final, but he can't beat a guy that people think he should beat if that guy either fails to make it to the final or fail to play the tournament. So that argument fails.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Why waste your time posting in such a ridiculous thread?
Ridiculous thread.
thread has been rated accordingly.

Instead of saying that my thread is ridiculous, how about you explain your reasoning? This is a decent theory, so if you don't like it, tell me why you think it's bs.

Then all you Federer haters can play air-tennis in your closets-- with of course-- a small racquet-- to go with your small penises.

So just because someone doesn't like Federer they have a small penis? I smell ******* blood.

Best thing would be Roger beating Rafa in an epic 5 setter to make the rivalry more intense.

For hardcore tennis fans, sure but another Fed v. Rafa matchup is starting to get repetitious for the casual fan, which is who I am talking about.

You guys seem to have missed the point with starting the GOAT debate again and other side stuff. Injury is ugly for tennis, a big star not playing is bad for tennis. But more popular sports become more COMPELLING to CASUAL FANS because there's storylines now. Fed now has pressure to win Wimbledon, but can he stop the young guns still playing the Championships? How will Rafa do in his return?

You may not believe that my scenario is the best for tennis, but it creates storylines during the season. And storylines is what draw casual fans to tournaments.

jamesblakefan#1
06-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I wasn't saying your thread was ridiculous. I was calling out gj for wasting his time posting in what he called a "ridiculous thread". There's been much worse on here the past few weeks, tbh.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
There can be nothing good about a great player not being able to play. Less good tennis than usual is all it's gonna do. I hope you found the Fed-Sod final fascinating because we may have to brace ourselves for something similar at W... Tennis TV ratings are gonna dive to new lows... (Unless Murray makes the final, in which case the British ratings will hit the roof!!)

jamesblakefan#1
06-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Fed vs anybody is sure to have good ratings, with him going for the record and all. Even you have to admit that, though it's unfortunate that Nadal won't be the opponent, one way or another.

All time lows? Surely not lower than Washington-Krajicek final? Or Hewitt-Nalbandian. Heck, Fed-Phillipousis probably got bad ratings, w/ fewer people knowing who they were at the time, Fed only being known for beating Sampras.

devila
06-19-2009, 11:26 PM
No, the best thing for tennis is having the best players out there playing each other. At least theres still the USO... in the meantime, go A-Rod!Roddick gets a bad mood swing after you tell him "Federer doesn't deserve special selfish love from you, just because you feel like a redneck loser. Federer isn't entitled to win free gifts."

Tennis_Bum
06-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Fed vs anybody is sure to have good ratings, with him going for the record and all. Even you have to admit that, though it's unfortunate that Nadal won't be the opponent, one way or another.

All time lows? Surely not lower than Washington-Krajicek final? Or Hewitt-Nalbandian. Heck, Fed-Phillipousis probably got bad ratings, w/ fewer people knowing who they were at the time, Fed only being known for beating Sampras.

When you look at it objectively, it makes a lot of sense to me. Let's say I don't know Fed and never watched tennis before, the ad will capture my attention if Fed is in the final because of breaking Sampras' record. That is a big deal not just in the US but worldwide. But it's hard for Nadal fans to look at things objectively when their hero is not in the tournament. I think it will be hard for them to event watch Wimbledon.

Not a lot of people watched the Hewitt-Nalbandina final that's for sure. I didn't event watch Fed's first final match. The Washington-Krajicek final was boring, with the exception for the nuke lady that ran out before the match. The was a much better scene than the one idiot that ran out during the Fed-Soderling final match. At least the view was much better and the interruption was before the match not during it.

I seriously believe that Spanish idiot was trying to jinx Fed as best as he could that day. Why would you put a hat on the guy who is playing a match that he desperately wanted to win to complete a career slam unless you want to screw him up. Sure you can argue that if Fed is so mentally strong then he can withstand that distraction, but that distraction was was completely unnecessary and the guy was a jerk. I hope ATP and slam events ban this guy forever.

What an idiot. I wouldn't be surprised if that idiot was a Nadal fan. Was it you, Nadal_Freak, because I know for sure it wasn't Veroniquem or Truth because they were at home crying their eyes out.

devila
06-20-2009, 12:42 AM
That's hilarious. Even Nadal fans who hate other players don't bother me.

Federer and his psychotic egotistical wartheads are a different matter.

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Nadal seriously needs to change his game. He should attack more and defend less, so he will have to stop pushing so much.

That's easier said than done. He has playing like this and honing his current style for 23 years. He has been enormously successful to put it lightly, with this style. You cannot expect too much from a person at this stage. Same way you cannot expect Fed to develop an insane top-spin shot a la Rafa let alone a two-handed BH.

goldenyama
06-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Dumb post dude. The best thing for tennis would be to have Fed and Rafa in the Wimbledon final.

Sentinel
06-20-2009, 05:09 AM
OP, Murray winning WO may be great for Britain, but the rest of us dont give a s*** for it.

Why not the first WO title to a frenchman or argie in so-many years.... what difference does the nationality make.

The one positive perhaps if i may say so, of Rafa's injury, is that other players may be discouraged from adopting that style of play.... so we'll have much more interesting tennis to see.

Especially if Rafa changes to a more attacking style.

tahiti
06-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Say what you want about Rafa's game.... apart from being no. 1 for almost a year he was no 2. behind Fed for ages....his game is just fine...he's the only player with the balls to have beaten Fed so many times and have such a h2h. Everyone else just folds.

Tennis has been what it has been since 2005 due to Nadal's game. Being at the top of the men's game for what , 4 years now it's bound to take it's toll yes....

Marius_Hancu
06-20-2009, 05:40 AM
It's good in one respect: in forcing coaches and trainers to think about correct patterns of movement and overload, but that when dealing with players at an young age. At Nadal's age, it might be too late to correct, but let's hope they get to the root of it, not just one-month solutions.

Morrissey
06-20-2009, 05:42 AM

Don't ever count him out. He won the AO.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Don't ever count him out. He won the AO.

Agreed he was 4th favourite behind Djoker, Murray and Federer and won the AO.

Morrissey
06-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Tennis took a big hit losing Nadal for the most popular tournament in the world. He's such a recognizable face and such a force in the tennis world that his absence will be felt, even by his biggest detractors whether they admit it or not. It's gonna be hard for me to watch Wimby this year. Really hard. For Fed fans they know deep down that he brings alot for the sport of tennis and his matches with Fed are always of the most intense and highest quality. We're going to be deprived of that.

zagor
06-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Tennis took a big hit losing Nadal for the most popular tournament in the world. He's such a recognizable face and such a force in the tennis world that his absence will be felt, even by his biggest detractors whether they admit it or not. It's gonna be hard for me to watch Wimby this year. Really hard. For Fed fans they know deep down that he brings alot for the sport of tennis and his matches with Fed are always of the most intense and highest quality. We're going to be deprived of that.

I wouldn't say they're always of highest quality on every surface but on modern grass at Wimbledon-definitely,there Fed-Nadal rivalry flourishes like in no other slam or tournament IMO.So yes I would have liked to see another Fed-Nadal final at Wimbledon this year,especially now that Fed equaled Pete's record and won FO so I'm not as bent on Fed winning anymore(I mean he won everything now)as I'm for quality tennis.

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2009, 07:55 AM
There can be nothing good about a great player not being able to play. Less good tennis than usual is all it's gonna do. I hope you found the Fed-Sod final fascinating because we may have to brace ourselves for something similar at W... Tennis TV ratings are gonna dive to new lows... (Unless Murray makes the final, in which case the British ratings will hit the roof!!)

I don't think you'd feel quite the same if Soderling had won instead of Fed...I'm just saying. You need new stars to step up every once in a while. It's unfortunate that Nadal can't play, but this should be looked at as an opportunity to find new guys that you like and want to follow, especially if you're a Nadal fan. Not that you should give up on Nadal, but find someone else to root for that maybe isnt as heralded. That's what I would do, instead of complaining and crying all day.

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-20-2009, 08:08 AM
For Fed fans they know deep down that he brings alot for the sport of tennis and his matches with Fed are always of the most intense and highest quality. We're going to be deprived of that.

Well, what can one do--other than remind certain overhyped players that its their job to raise the level of their painfully poor games and be a true threat to Federer at grand slams? Nadal taking a recovery break should not be the end of the world in terms of quality tennis...unless--as I believe--other players, such as Djokovic and Murray--are more hype than genune challengers to the Federer slam era, hence (as you say) we the fans will be deprived of high quality matches.

The fact this can be said at all is the strongest indictment against this era; for example, when Borg bailed, McEnroe still had Connors and a quickly growing Lendl and Wilander; later (including overlap from the previous generation), Becker, Edberg, Sampras, Courier, Stich, et al had each other to fuel the highest quality tennis and innumerable classic matches.

So to reiterate, if Nadal is the only player truly capable of intense matches of the highest quality when playing Federer, what does it really say about the rest of the current "top" players?

skip1969
06-20-2009, 08:15 AM
there was a lot of hilarious stuff in this thread, but i'm givin' this little gem the prize. classic.

Shaolin
06-20-2009, 08:27 AM

Just a sample of people that think and have said publicly that Federer is the GOAT: John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg. Listen to Breakpoint, he's much smarter than you.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Dumb post dude. The best thing for tennis would be to have Fed and Rafa in the Wimbledon final.

Did you not read my post? Sure, a Fed-Rafa final will be great for tennis fanatics, but the CASUAL FANS find another matchup between Federer and Nadal boring and repetitious. What if the Patriots and the Panthers played every year for the Super Bowl? Great for the hardcore fans to see a rivalry, but not good for other/casual fans who are tired of repetition.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Just a sample of people that think and have said publicly that Federer is the GOAT: John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg. Listen to Breakpoint, he's much smarter than you.
Thanks for the compliment, Shaolin. :)

But, unfortunately, it doesn't take a whole lot of brains to be smarter than some of the people on this board. ;-)

edberg505
06-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Well it was more thrilling than the Federer vs. Nadal final in 2008. LOL.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 03:56 PM
That's easier said than done. He has playing like this and honing his current style for 23 years. He has been enormously successful to put it lightly, with this style. You cannot expect too much from a person at this stage. Same way you cannot expect Fed to develop an insane top-spin shot a la Rafa let alone a two-handed BH.

Nadal had one of the biggest forehands on the tour 2005 and back. Actually, he still does. He just chooses not to hit it.

jimbo333
06-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Nadal withdrawing is definitely not the best thing for tennis as a whole, In fact it's a bit of a disaster. With Federer finally winning French Open, there is more focus on the sport of tennis now than for ages, and the world no.1 is injured. This is not good for the sport!!!

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Nadal had one of the biggest forehands on the tour 2005 and back. Actually, he still does. He just chooses not to hit it.

That's probably because he is not comfortable using it as often as it will likely cause more errors. That is not his game style it seems to me. His style is primarily based on counter-punching and finishing off points when he gets opportunities. I think Rafa is best at taking opportunities when they come.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
OP, Murray winning WO may be great for Britain, but the rest of us dont give a s*** for it.

Why not the first WO title to a frenchman or argie in so-many years.... what difference does the nationality make.

The one positive perhaps if i may say so, of Rafa's injury, is that other players may be discouraged from adopting that style of play.... so we'll have much more interesting tennis to see.

Especially if Rafa changes to a more attacking style.

Fair statement, nationality is nothing when it comes to tennis. Your nationality doesn't entiled you to win the tournament. You have to play your A-game. As I state earlier, either in this post or another, I would be okay with Murray winning Wimbledon and the folks in Great Britain happy only if he plays A-game tennis to win it.

I am not rooting for him to win because he's British, I actually hate the guy. But if he wins with great tennis then he deserves it.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Fine with watch you say, even if Nadal enters Wimbledon. In order to play Fed, he has to make it to the final. I seriously don't think he can do that even if he plays. So how can it be intense if Nadal gets upset early do to the knees injuries. You also have to Fed and Nadal both makes it to the final for that intense match to happen. Both may not even make it there.

Nadal failed to make it to the final at the FO. So nothing is given, those two have to make the final to produce the type of tennis we saw for the past 3 years.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Nadal withdrawing is definitely not the best thing for tennis as a whole, In fact it's a bit of a disaster. With Federer finally winning French Open, there is more focus on the sport of tennis now than for ages, and the world no.1 is injured. This is not good for the sport!!!
He won't be the world #1 for much longer, probably by the end of Wimbledon. :)

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Even if Fed and Nadal both are out of tennis, I highly doubt that tennis is going to lose a lot, lot of interest. Tennis has been around forever and there will be others who produce great tennis for us to watch. We just have to get used to the new players, whoever they may be.

The point is Fed and Nadal are not the be all and end of of tennis. Without them, I believe, I still will watch and enjoy tennis the same with other players playing.

I am sure Nadal fans won't agree with me but who cares.