06-19-2009, 11:05 AM
1 month??Maybe he should consider staying out more..:(

If you find other parts of interview,please post it!Thanx in advance

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
a month?? wow :shock: I would have thought maybe 1 or 2 weeks

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Does anyone have a link to the specific knee injury he's suffering from?

cknobman
06-19-2009, 11:08 AM

LostTheFrechOpenitis

iriraz
06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
He won`t have anything to play until the US Master Series events anyways which are in August.He has some time to get ready for that

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
He won`t have anything to play until the US Master Series events anyways which are in August.He has some time to get ready for that
He needs to prepare as he has alot of points to defend

Blade0324
06-19-2009, 11:12 AM
He'll get his knees feeling better than they have in some time and be rested and ready to go on a tear through the US open series and match Rogers' career slam in the same year by winning the USO. This injury could be a blessing in disguise.

bizarre_opinion
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
i think he needs to do some terminator salvation on his knees, maybe then he has a chance of playing for another couple of years at the top level, otherwise its all over.

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Wait, I just came back home. Is Nadal not playing at Wimbeldon?

babbette
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
1 month or more of boring torture. Well, hopefully holiday will compensate for Nadal absence. :p

malakas
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
1 month or more of boring torture. Well, hopefully holiday will compensate for Nadal absence. :p

I'm very sorry you won't get to see him babette :( really bad luck.

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
LostTheFrechOpenitis

No it's a real injury. Anyone who's not a fan boy / hater can agree on that.

vtmike
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Rafael Nadal has announced he will not defend his Wimbledon title.

The world number one and top seed had said after the French Open that he would not play Wimbledon if he was not 100% and so it has come to pass.

"I’m here and I'm just not 100%. I'm better than what I was a couple of weeks ago but I don’t feel right," Nadal told a packed press conference on Friday evening at the All England Club.

"To not play Wimbledon is one of the toughest decisions of my career."

After suffering a shock defeat in the French Open to Robin Soderling, Nadal received treatment on his knees in Barcelona and skipped the traditional Wimbledon warm-up at Queen’s in an effort to be fit for The Championships. He was diagnosed with tendinitis in both quadriceps tendons as well as a small amount of fluid on the kneecaps.

"I tried everything. I didn't feel terrible but also not close to my best. When I enter a tournament my goal is winning and my feeling right now is I'm not ready to win.

"It's very painful for me but I can't play at the tournament this year. It's tough but it is what it is."

Nadal's absence will cause a reshuffle in the men’s singles draw. Nadal's place will be taken by fifth seed Juan Martin Del Potro. Del Potro's place will be taken by the 17th seed James Blake. Blake's place will be taken by Jose Arguso of Argentina and a lucky loser will fill Arguso's spot.

Nadal revealed that he had been playing with considerable pain and he didn't know how long he would be out of tennis. But he said he expected to fully recover from his knee problems and that he would have a "long career".

"I played with some problems on the knee for the last few months. I've been making efforts to play week after week. The truth is that sportsmen always play with pain and don't know where the limit is, where you can get to. I think I reached that limit now.

"I will work very hard to comeback as soon as possible. One of the problems is I’m thinking more about the knees than what is happening on court and it’s very difficult to play like that."

When Nadal was asked about his many fans and how disappointed they would be that he was not appearing at Wimbledon, the 23-year-old replied: "no more than me".

Nadal also said he was not concerned that his absence would open the door for Roger Federer to reclaim the number one world ranking. "If I lose the number one ranking I’m going to accept it like the four years I was number two and work hard to improve and recover."

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2009-06-19/200906191245395523523.html?promo=twitter

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow poor Rafa :-(

I guess his injury is really serious. It's good that he will finally take the time to recover and rest, but it sucks for him he won't be able to defend his title. It also sucks for tennis in general, as I'm sure many tennis fans would want to see a remach of last year's epic.

I'm shocked :-(

babbette
06-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm very sorry you won't get to see him babette :( really bad luck.

I apologize for everybody suffering because of my bad luck. Rafa knew I wanted to head to Queens and Wimbledon and he staged this whole thing. I apologize everyone. 8)

Mick
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
i think it's a good decision. it's better to rest those knees than to use them in competition and cause more damage.

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I apologize for everybody suffering because of my bad luck. Rafa knew I wanted to head to Queens and Wimbledon and he staged this whole thing. I apologize everyone. 8)

You're going to Wimbeldon on Rafa's not going to be there...poor you babbette :-(

I'm sure you'd still have a good time but your favorite player won't be there. I hope you get to watch him play in the future.

malakas
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Blake's position will be taken by KIEFER not acasuso!!

Danstevens
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
No it's a real injury. Anyone who's not a fan boy / hater can agree on that.

Yeah, Nadal isn't stupid enough to miss Wimby, one of his favourite tournaments (I think) over a fake injury he made up due to losing at the French. That'd just be stupid. It has to be a real injury.

Get well soon, Rafa.

egn
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM

He might hang around you know lol...yea okay probably not. But think of all the other tennis players you can watch and see. I mean you can compensate and meet the great Taylor Dent =] lol..when you come back I hope you take tons of pictures and share them with all of us I am still immensely jealous.

urban
06-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I think its a good decision. Better fully recover, than further aggrevate the injury. I still don't understand the Nadal camp, that they let him play Rotterdam, on indoor hard, Barcelona and Madrid, despite the well-known knee-problems. That Djokovic match at Madrid was a Pyrrhus-match for both players.

malakas
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I apologize for everybody suffering because of my bad luck. Rafa knew I wanted to head to Queens and Wimbledon and he staged this whole thing. I apologize everyone.

Baggy also withdrew today so..:( maybe I have to blame you for this too????!:twisted: :p
Relax babbette,Rafa is your favourite,but you have to find more faves as reserves!;) go eat the strawberries,take pics,enjoy matches and have a good time,irregardless of rafa !just so you know,while you're at wimby most of us will be writing exams,so I say your luck is pretty good!!

bolo
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I think its a good decision. Better fully recover, than further aggrevate the injury. I still don't understand the Nadal camp, that they let him play Rotterdam, on indoor hard, Barcelona and Madrid, despite the well-known knee-problems. That Djokovic match at Madrid was a Pyrrhus-match for both players.

Imo it's some combination of his desire for the no. 1 ranking and his competitive nature. I also get the impression that they didn't want to break their winning routine from the last 4 years. Having said that it's still mindboggling that he expended all of his energy on those 4 clay court tournaments.

P_Agony
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Baggy also withdrew today so..:( maybe I have to blame you for this too????!:twisted: :p
Relax babbette,Rafa is your favourite,but you have to find more faves as reserves!;) go eat the strawberries,take pics,enjoy matches and have a good time,irregardless of rafa !just so you know,while you're at wimby most of us will be writing exams,so I say your luck is pretty good!!

What do you study? I have exams too... exactly in time for Wimbeldon...bummer.

Moose Malloy
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I still don't understand the Nadal camp, that they let him play Rotterdam, on indoor hard, Barcelona and Madrid, despite the well-known knee-problems.

There was a thread on this a while back. ATP changed rules for top players this year. I think if Nadal withdrew from Rotterdam, he would have had to not play any events the week after(Indian Wells?) And fines as well.

Ranking system is pretty hard these days, as are mandatory masters series. In the 90s, it was only best of 14(as opposed to best of 18) & masters series weren't automatically counted as your best 14(notice how often Sampras skipped Canada? he never got a '0' for that. Nadal would've. )

This really isn't just about the 'nadal camp.' No wonder almost everyone is retired by 30...with new rules I think it will be getting worse in years to come.

seffina
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
:( Hope Rafa recovers fully and quickly. I'll miss him.

nocompromise2009
06-19-2009, 11:55 AM
LostTheFrechOpenitis

haha a very serious injury, takes a long time to heal:)

malakas
06-19-2009, 11:56 AM
What do you study? I have exams too... exactly in time for Wimbeldon...bummer.

I have exams during ALL slams,so don't tell me!!:rolleyes: Veterinary.

All-rounder
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Thats a shame I just finished my exams last friday

Lefty5
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Murray would have rolled him anyway...

theduh
06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
"I tried everything. I didn't feel terrible but also not close to my best. When I enter a tournament my goal is winning and my feeling right now is I'm not ready to win.

Does he mean play?

supertrex
06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
That sucks but physical conditioning is part of Tennis, if your not fit goodbye Championships but ofcourse you can still play. Federer have some back problems also and play hes game with not even hes 100% and still won Championships.

I like Nadal a lot but hes playstyle really abusing hes body.

Murray = bahh

Djokovic on Finals ! or maybe Soderling !

urban
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Moose, i could well be that these decisions were influenced by new ATP rules. On the other hand, the Nadal camp had to know better from the experience of the last year. It must have been an alarming sign, that Nadal could not play Master and DC at the end of the year, because of the same problems. Why not retire or pull out citing injuries or exhaustion. I think, this year was also enormous pressure from the Spanish tournament organizers and media, to play Barcelona and Madrd, not the least to hold the delicate political balance in Spain between Kastillian and Katalan interests. Those 3 clay courts wins within 3 weeks were a sensational effort, but were poison for his knees. I think, Nadal unusual lamentations on the eve of the Madrid event were a sign of desperation on his side.

malakas
06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tDyVqgYLaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ViOIsJGy0
Nadal said his problem is not chronic,and he can recover for sure!

babbette
06-19-2009, 12:11 PM
His presser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SVl4_6GkA

The tennis guy
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
ATP changed rules for top players this year. I think if Nadal withdrew from Rotterdam, he would have had to not play any events the week after(Indian Wells?) And fines as well.

At this point of his career, he shouldn't enter that many small events. He should save himself for slams and master events. Look at how many matches he and Djokovic had played so far this year. No one forced them to play that many small events. His playing style is very taxing.

Love Game
06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Rafael Nadal has announced he will not defend his Wimbledon title. ...

Nadal's absence will cause a reshuffle in the men’s singles draw. Number five seed Juan Martin Del Potro replaces Nadal at the top of the draw. The 17th seed James Blake moves to line 65 to take Del Potro's position. Nicolas Kiefer moves to line 56 to take Blake's position and lucky loser Thiago Alves takes Kiefer's position on line 61.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2009-06-19/20090

interesting. i wonder what criteria they used to make this decision? With Murray being No. 3, should they not have moved HIM to replace Nadal at the top of the draw?

welcome2petrkordaland
06-19-2009, 12:25 PM
He'll get his knees feeling better than they have in some time and be rested and ready to go on a tear through the US open series and match Rogers' career slam in the same year by winning the USO. This injury could be a blessing in disguise.

Exactly. When's the last time we've seen a fresh Nadal for the US OPEN? This is a great decision.

Based on what I've read about his physical condition, risking further injury by playing at Wimbledon could very well have been the third strike for Nadal as far as very poor scheduling decisions in light of his physical game.

The first poor decision was playing Stuttgart immediately after Wimby '07, which tired him out at a time when he was in serious need of rest and recovery. Images of a battered Nadal falling to Ferrer in the early morning in Flushing Meadow come to mind.

The second strike was scheduling all 4 clay court tournaments leading up to the French this year! Why not drop Madrid, which plays nothing like most Euro. clay? Unfortunately what it did to Nadal was plant a seed of doubt in him (despite his recent clay domination); he even admitted that keeping the ball on the court was difficult on these courts. If you really think about it, BEFORE the French even began, Nadal had done serious battle to win several "huge matches." See MC semi vs. Murray, MC final vs. Djokovic, Barca final vs. Ferrer, Rome final vs. Djokovic, & Madrid semi vs. Djokovic. It's no wonder he deteriorated physically and lost at the French. The guy who beat him didn't exactly go away either.

Against this background, this decision may save his career, not only from a physical standpoint but also from the realization that despite the short term gain in points, such overplaying will inexorably result in losing tennis matches, physical beating, and emotional burnout.

Congrats to the Nadal camp on finally making a good scheduling decision! Now Rafa, go rest, rehab, and in a coupla weeks continue working on your service motion/rhythm and slice bh, and relight that fire under your backside. All's not lost!! There are more than 2 months before the US OPEN!! With rest, hard work, and little luck, you can grab your 7th grand slam in NYC and match Fed's career slam at 23!!

Let's get after it, Rafa!

malakas
06-19-2009, 12:25 PM
interesting. i wonder what criteria they used to make this decision? With Murray being No. 3, should they not have moved HIM to replace Nadal at the top of the draw?

the criteria they used are the book of rules.

urban
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
British books of rules? In my book the draw had to be rearranged with Federer now at Nr. 1 position. Murray has a nice draw now, reminds me a bit of Henman who had always nice seedings at the Big W.

malakas
06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
no.ITF books of rules.For ALL slams.

joeri888
06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Rafa should at least skip one of those master series, play one warmup event and the US Open, then take off rest of the season and start with a clean slate next year.

koopa_troopa
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I guess the good thing out of this is that Nadal will be better rested for the US Open. Imagine Nadal winning the US Open and having 2 players complete a Career Grand Slam in 2009.

The-Champ
06-19-2009, 01:05 PM
That was a wise decision from Rafa. Now I can concentrate on my thesis.

bolo
06-19-2009, 01:08 PM
That was a wise decision from Rafa. Now I can concentrate on my thesis.

lol. that's the way I feel, now I can actually do some work instead of spending two hectic weeks of waking up at odd hours and doing very little but watching tennis. :)

Annika
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Honestly since he changed his clothing style, nothing's been the same.
Does he have any idea how much we love watching him play???!!!! :mad: I needed to vent.

Devilito
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I have tendonitis and let me tell you. It never really goes away. You can rest and it stops hurting, but as soon as you start doing what originally caused it, it flares back up. If you’re a top athlete you can play through it with anti inflammatory and a bunch of other treatment but that can’t go on forever. Not matter what he says his career is in serious trouble.

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I have tendonitis and let me tell you. It never really goes away. You can rest and it stops hurting, but as soon as you start doing what originally caused it, it flares back up. If youíre a top athlete you can play through it with anti inflammatory and a bunch of other treatment but that canít go on forever. Not matter what he says his career is in serious trouble.
I said the same and got hated on a bunch. But I don't have the money to pay for all the doctors that have special treatment plans and etc. There is still hope for Nadal if he follows the plan incredibly well. He would be the one with the fire to not mess up.

Enigma_87
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
He should take it easy as HC can damage his knees further. Having said that however, he should make it possible to be 100% fired up for the US. If he's fully rested he can challenge it.

Swissv2
06-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, Nadal has time to get ready for the US Open.

North
06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
LostTheFrechOpenitis

lol! That must be the Latin medical term for it.

clayman2000
06-19-2009, 01:39 PM
He should take it easy as HC can damage his knees further. Having said that however, he should make it possible to be 100% fired up for the US. If he's fully rested he can challenge it.

I do not believe he will play until Canada which is about 1 month and a half away. If he is in pain right now, yet still taking Wawrinka, a great player in his own right to 3 sets, then I can only imagine what 100% rafa is like.

Enigma_87
06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I do not believe he will play until Canada which is about 1 month and a half away. If he is in pain right now, yet still taking Wawrinka, a great player in his own right to 3 sets, then I can only imagine what 100% rafa is like.

Hope he recovers soon. You never know though, month away is lot and little time to recover. His ranking is at stake, but I doubt that being rushed in would help his case, as any further injury to those knees may put him out of the season.

Having said that Rafa is a fighter and a competitor. His condition must be very bad at the moment, as even not at 100% I doubt Rafa would miss out on Wimbey.

Hope he's alright, month or so can heal him, and his aim(probably) is Cincy IMO.

CCNM
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I guess the good thing out of this is that Nadal will be better rested for the US Open. Imagine Nadal winning the US Open and having 2 players complete a Career Grand Slam in 2009.

That would be so cool!!!!! Then all will be fine in Tennisland.:)

bruce38
06-19-2009, 02:22 PM
It's over for Rafa, he may never win another major.

zagor
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
It's over for Rafa, he may never win another major.

Now that's pretty pessimistic prediction.He's 23,I'm sure he has more slams left in him.

Mansewerz
06-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Are you serious? I mean, sorry that you can't see him at Wimbledon, but I think you're getting too attached.

bruce38
06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Now that's pretty pessimistic prediction.He's 23,I'm sure he has more slams left in him.

Pessimistic indeed, but also possible. He could have played less intensely and he probably would have ended up with the same number of majors over a longer career, but I think 6-8 majors was written in the cards for this cat.

Jchurch
06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
I think he should just take the rest of the season off. He'd still be ranked in the top 10 when he comes back. I'd rather see him healthy and competing at his highest instead of just trying to maintain his ranking.

R.Federer
06-19-2009, 02:48 PM
nadal is over imo cant see him playing 100% for 3 or 4 tournies straight

Defcon
06-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Uncle Toni must take his share of the blame - I don't know why Nadal plays so many tournaments leading into the HC season. I suppose he must because he gets his best results, but he always seems to get injured as a result and this time it appears to be serious.

I believe him and his camp could've managed his schedule better and focus more on an all year presence and taking adequate rest when needed.

TennezSport
06-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I have tendonitis and let me tell you. It never really goes away. You can rest and it stops hurting, but as soon as you start doing what originally caused it, it flares back up. If youíre a top athlete you can play through it with anti inflammatory and a bunch of other treatment but that canít go on forever. Not matter what he says his career is in serious trouble.

I have been saying that this would happen for quite some time now, because I have delt with it with other players. People thought I was hating on Rafa, but I do not belittle any pro player, I was trying to point out an accident waiting to happen; seen it before.

Your point is very true as this is a chronic condition that never goes away. He may be able to control it with physio and medication but it will be with him forever now. The thing that concerns me now is that Rafa will be coming back from rest and therapy and jumping on the worst courts to play on for him; the HC season. If not done correctly it could be like going from the frying pan into the fire. I just hope that he and his team have learned the right lessons.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

1970CRBase
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
If he can't manage his health & time, and isn't sensible about what events he chooses to play, he doesn't deserve to win. Everyone was worrying about this eventually happening.

imalil2gangsta4u
06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
One month is a long time. I hope he comes back 100% when he returns.

TheNatural
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

No but he confirmed that his knee had worsened during the Madrid Masters. He has been crippled since the Madrid semi finals.

I read that it could be tendinitis to a different part of his knee tendon so that the compression bandage technique that he was using before was not affective now.

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 04:49 PM
No but he confirmed that his knee had worsened during the Madrid Masters. He has been crippled since the Madrid semi finals.

I read that it could be tendinitis to a different part of his knee tendon so that the compression bandage technique that he was using before was not affective now.

I've had tendinitis and usually it heals within a week or two, even if it's as bad as not being able to play at all. That's in my experience. That's why I am not sure what he's got going on now.

Katlion
06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow... poor Rafa. Even though I prefer Roger, it still sucks that a player of his level has to leave the game for such a time! And anyone can admit that the Roger/Rafa finals usually make the slam! So, best wishes to him, and hopefully he'll be back in the game soon enough (:

bolo
06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I've had tendinitis and usually it heals within a week or two, even if it's as bad as not being able to play at all. That's in my experience. That's why I am not sure what he's got going on now.

lol. thanks for sharing IvanAndeevich.

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
After suffering a shock defeat in the French Open to Robin Soderling, Nadal received treatment on his knees in Barcelona and skipped the traditional Wimbledon warm-up at Queen’s in an effort to be fit for The Championships. He was diagnosed with tendinitis in both quadriceps tendons as well as a small amount of fluid on the kneecaps.

Can someone explain more on the condition that leaks fluid out from the knees? I'm just curious from a medical POV. What happens to the fluid? Does it have to be drained? What causes the fluid to leak? etc etc

netman
06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Rafa has one last Slam to win to get his own career Slam. Most of us here have agreed his style of play has to wear his body down. He has a Wimbledon title so why not take the time to address the injury, get it healed and hopefully come back healthy and strong for the the tail end of the hard court season, then the USO.

If Rafa can win the AO, then he can win the USO. Best to enter it in good health, rather than to be in throes of rehabbing an injury made worse by trying to hobble through Wimbledon.

Madhoshi22
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Can someone explain more on the condition that leaks fluid out from the knees? I'm just curious from a medical POV. What happens to the fluid? Does it have to be drained? What causes the fluid to leak? etc etc

Fluid in the knees is more common with people with arthritis. For normal people, the knee joint is surrounded by synovial fluid as a medium to provide smooth movement. Now, fluid or blood collection in the knee can be attributed to traumatic injuries, or ligament damage (Nadal's case). The fluid is usually drained, and anti-imflammatories are usually prescribed. If the ligament damage is severe, then surgery is usually necessary.

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Fluid in the knees is more common with people with arthritis. For normal people, the knee joint is surrounded by synovial fluid as a medium to provide smooth movement. Now, fluid or blood collection in the knee can be attributed to traumatic injuries, or ligament damage (Nadal's case). The fluid is usually drained, and anti-imflammatories are usually prescribed. If the ligament damage is severe, then surgery is usually necessary.

hmm..thanks. i ask because for about 50 days now my ankle has been swollen. the swelling would stretch from the ankle down to the start of the toes. doctors say it was arthritis and prescribed me anti-inflammatories and such and it has gone down some, but i still don't have any real movement there. and it was pretty spontaneous, i didn't twist anything or sprain it beforehand. i had gone out the night before for a run, but was fine until i woke up the next morning with stiffness in my ankle and it just went downhill from there...

Madhoshi22
06-19-2009, 05:46 PM
hmm..thanks. i ask because for about 50 days now my ankle has been swollen. the swelling would stretch from the ankle down to the start of the toes. doctors say it was arthritis and prescribed me anti-inflammatories and such and it has gone down some, but i still don't have any real movement there. and it was pretty spontaneous, i didn't twist anything or sprain it beforehand. i had gone out the night before for a run, but was fine until i woke up the next morning with stiffness in my ankle and it just went downhill from there...

That very well could be the onset of tendonitis. You might want to check your running technique, as well as your shoes. Being supinated or pronated when you run, and not having the correct shoe makes a huge difference.

I'm a physician, I've heard of a couple of good anti-imflammatories, the best being Clavimox, what is it that your doctor has prescribed?

TheTruth
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow poor Rafa :-(

I guess his injury is really serious. It's good that he will finally take the time to recover and rest, but it sucks for him he won't be able to defend his title. It also sucks for tennis in general, as I'm sure many tennis fans would want to see a remach of last year's epic.

I'm shocked :-(

You're really nice! Such kind words.

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
That very well could be the onset of tendonitis. You might want to check your running technique, as well as your shoes. Being supinated or pronated when you run, and not having the correct shoe makes a huge difference.

I'm a physician, I've heard of a couple of good anti-imflammatories, the best being Clavimox, what is it that your doctor has prescribed?

A couple things: Sulfasalazine (500MG) and Diclofenac (50MG)

i haven't done anything cardiovascular since it started simply because i can't. i've been running fine for years prior...i have a pair of running shoes (asics gt-2090) and think i have fine technique. i've done some acupuncture as well and they've drained some blood/fluid from my ankle which has done a little. still swollen comparatively.

Madhoshi22
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
A couple things: Sulfasalazine (500MG) and Diclofenac (50MG)

i haven't done anything cardiovascular since it started simply because i can't. i've been running fine for years prior...i have a pair of running shoes (asics gt-2090) and think i have fine technique. i've done some acupuncture as well and they've drained some blood/fluid from my ankle which has done a little. still swollen comparatively.

Those are relatively strong, they should be able to handle what you are describing. Are you still feeling pain through all of that?
Looking at what they have been draining, I'm definitely leaning towards tendonitis. You should look at getting a second opinion. Definitely stay off the running, and if you can, try and take all the weight off the foot completely, i.e. crutches.

Fandango
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
This has probably been asked before but how much of a margin does nadal have on Federer in the rankings?

Fandango
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
nevermind I got it. http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

so if Rog wins wimby then he is numero uno.

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Those are relatively strong, they should be able to handle what you are describing. Are you still feeling pain through all of that?
Looking at what they have been draining, I'm definitely leaning towards tendonitis. You should look at getting a second opinion. Definitely stay off the running, and if you can, try and take all the weight off the foot completely, i.e. crutches.

not so much pain. there's only pain when i overextend it. i have almost no flexibility in it. i can step on it, but i walk kinda flat footed and duck-like. i can't do heel-toe...that's when it hurts. my ankle has the worst of it, but it's not the only spot on my body with this kind of pain. the outside of my wrist where the hand meets the forearm (carpal?) is also a little swollen so i can't really bend it. swinging a tennis racquet really hurts it, even if it's a light swing. i have crutches, but my wrist pain is causing me to stay away from them..fortunately i'm not doing much walking, pretty much staying at home. there are a couple other spots too like in the middle of my back and collarbone area where it hurts if i move a certain way...they all started at the same time kind of spontaneously...the worst surprise of my life!

AAAA
06-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear that. I recently developed an ankle problem too, not as bad as yours though by the sound of it.

Got it from jogging. The ankle isn't swollen and I have a full range of movement however from time to time the ankle feels like it has a really bad sprain so much so I have to walk off a 'limp' or stop running when it happens. At other times it's perfectly normal.

TheTruth
06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm ecstatic! I didn't think he should play hurt. Some time to rest and rehab will make all the difference in the world.

Now, I can skip Wimbledon, cancel my cable, and amp up my efforts to move.

Madhoshi22
06-19-2009, 06:23 PM
not so much pain. there's only pain when i overextend it. i have almost no flexibility in it. i can step on it, but i walk kinda flat footed and duck-like. i can't do heel-toe...that's when it hurts. my ankle has the worst of it, but it's not the only spot on my body with this kind of pain. the outside of my wrist where the hand meets the forearm (carpal?) is also a little swollen so i can't really bend it. swinging a tennis racquet really hurts it, even if it's a light swing. i have crutches, but my wrist pain is causing me to stay away from them..fortunately i'm not doing much walking, pretty much staying at home. there are a couple other spots too like in the middle of my back and collarbone area where it hurts if i move a certain way...they all started at the same time kind of spontaneously...the worst surprise of my life!

I'm sorry to hear that, did the swelling/stiffness happen overnight? Your ankle wasn't stiff at all during the days leading up?

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, did the swelling/stiffness happen overnight? Your ankle wasn't stiff at all during the days leading up?

well, there was a couple days from the first morning i noticed stiffness to the day i stopped because it hurt and started to see swelling where i played tennis on it and worked out because i didn't think much of it.
i felt it stiff when i bent my foot up as far as i could..it felt like something was wrong on the upper side of my ankle. i was still able to move it and walk on it so i did...probably wasn't the best idea. it's the first real sign of my mortality!

Madhoshi22
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
well, there was a couple days from the first morning i noticed stiffness to the day i stopped because it hurt and started to see swelling where i played tennis on it and worked out because i didn't think much of it.
i felt it stiff when i bent my foot up as far as i could..it felt like something was wrong on the upper side of my ankle. i was still able to move it and walk on it so i did...probably wasn't the best idea. it's the first real sign of my mortality!

Yep there you go, whenever you feel the slightest tightening, especially if its ongoing for a couple of days, your best bet is to lay off it, and observe it, take down if there's any limited mobility, and where exactly the movement isn't ideal.
Now its too late for any of that, like I said, try and keep weight off the ankle, assuming the swelling is as bad as you say, and you have extreme limited movement, you should look into getting crutches so you can take the weight off completely.
If your doc changes the diagnosis to tendonitis, or even if it remains (though I'm really leaning towards tendonitis with how you're describing it), your regimen shouldn't change, you should keep taking the anti-inflammatories, ice it down at the end of each day, and generally take all weight off of it. If the anti-inflammatories aren't working, you might want to look into getting Cortisone injections. But that's a completely LAST resort. Don't take Cortisone without taking these steps first.

Have you had an MRI on the ankle? There was no pain at all right? So a torn ligament or tendon is completely ruled out?

Benhur
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
There was a thread on this a while back. ATP changed rules for top players this year. I think if Nadal withdrew from Rotterdam, he would have had to not play any events the week after(Indian Wells?) And fines as well.

Ranking system is pretty hard these days, as are mandatory masters series. In the 90s, it was only best of 14(as opposed to best of 18) & masters series weren't automatically counted as your best 14(notice how often Sampras skipped Canada? he never got a '0' for that. Nadal would've. )

This really isn't just about the 'nadal camp.' No wonder almost everyone is retired by 30...with new rules I think it will be getting worse in years to come.

I am not sure it is his camp that makes the final decisions on what he is going to play. Ultimately the player is the one who decides. I remember a video interview with Toni Nadal about a month ago, where he made it very clear that he considered the Madrid tournament a bad idea right before RG, because of the altitude. And both he and Nadal made various remarks to the effect that they were having serious doubts about whether he should play it. He never seemed content to be playing there. And he mentioned today that in retrospect he feels that this was the main mistake. Many people around here, me included, felt the same way. The guy is coming off 15 clay matches from Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome, and right before RG he goes to play in a tournament that does not even have the benefit of being a sensible preparation for the French, due to the completely different playing conditions in altitude. Last year he had at least a good break after losing early in Rome. He then played Hamburg, but he was rested, and Hamburg was at least a good preparation for RG.

I suspect that the pressure on him to play in Madrid (by people other than his camp) was just too great. It would have been felt by the organizers and many tennis authorities in Spain as a very serious snub if he didnít show up for the grand opening.

Yes, the clay season schedule is too tightly packed, and the scheduling of the Madrid tournament makes no sense at all as the last clay masters before RG because of its totally different playing conditions.

I agree that playing Rotterdam also makes little sense.

aceroberts13
06-19-2009, 07:47 PM
So lets see, thats 15 for Fed now isn't it?

sh@de
06-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo, Nadal come back!

kimbahpnam
06-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Yep there you go, whenever you feel the slightest tightening, especially if its ongoing for a couple of days, your best bet is to lay off it, and observe it, take down if there's any limited mobility, and where exactly the movement isn't ideal.
Now its too late for any of that, like I said, try and keep weight off the ankle, assuming the swelling is as bad as you say, and you have extreme limited movement, you should look into getting crutches so you can take the weight off completely.
If your doc changes the diagnosis to tendonitis, or even if it remains (though I'm really leaning towards tendonitis with how you're describing it), your regimen shouldn't change, you should keep taking the anti-inflammatories, ice it down at the end of each day, and generally take all weight off of it. If the anti-inflammatories aren't working, you might want to look into getting Cortisone injections. But that's a completely LAST resort. Don't take Cortisone without taking these steps first.

Have you had an MRI on the ankle? There was no pain at all right? So a torn ligament or tendon is completely ruled out?

they never did an MRI, but did take blood samples, x-ray and blood/fluid from the swollen area. x-rays showed nothing. blood tests were fine...so no infections of any kind. i think, basically, by ruling out a lot of things they have narrowed it down to an arthritic problem. i was transferred to see a doctor specializing in arthritis and they mentioned a cortosone shot if nothing had changed by the time i have to go back for a visit (which is in a couple weeks). they said ice won't due much (after the first 24/48 hours of initial swelling), but to try and keep it elevated as much as possible.

iriraz
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Some people think that Nadal will be well rested at the Us Open.But i think if he doesn`t play a lot of tennis by then he will be really rusty and will struggle on that surface.It`s never easy after 2 months without any big tourney to come back and do really well especially for someone with ongoing knee trouble.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Some people think that Nadal will be well rested at the Us Open.But i think if he doesn`t play a lot of tennis by then he will be really rusty and will struggle on that surface.It`s never easy after 2 months without any big tourney to come back and do really well especially for someone with ongoing knee trouble.
I think so too. The USO is still too close. I don't think he'll get another slam this year but he will come back very strong in the fall.

bruce38
06-20-2009, 08:02 AM

Wow! Excuses already for Nadal for the US Open!??? Hardcourts haven't even begun! This is sad....seriously.

jackson vile
06-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Go see an Active Release Therapist (ART) or an ROLF therapist, this is what the USA's greatest athletes use. Works wonders and you will wonder why you did not use it earlier.

TennezSport
06-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Wow! Excuses already for Nadal for the US Open!??? Hardcourts haven't even begun! This is sad....seriously.

Actually Veroniquem and Iriraz make a very good point. Rafa will require some heavy treatments, drugs and physio to recover from this issue. It will definately take 6 to 8 weeks to recover to 90% and since this is a chronic problem he may never be 100% again. That leaves him little time to prepare for the HC season including the USO and it also puts him at immediate risk of re-injuring his knees right away if he pushes too hard. 2009 may be over for Rafa.

skip1969
06-20-2009, 08:42 AM
honestly, i hope he stays away for as long as he really needs to stay away in order to be back to full fitness. and i'm not just saying that because i'm sick of the circus side-show that camp nadal has made of his injury for the last weeks after the roland garros final (though i am fed to the gills with the lot of them). i'm saying it because their strategy in managing his injury has been a complete disgrace, culminating in nadal not being able to play in the biggest tournament of the year, where he was to defend his title.

skip1969
06-20-2009, 08:52 AM
nadal in may: "ummm . . . i'm not feeling too good."
advisers: "ahhhh . . . you're fine."
nadal: "my knees hurt."
advisers: "here, use some more of this tape."
nadal: "tape's not really working anymore."
advisers: "how bout we re-assess things after the next tourney?"
nadal: "damn. i got beat!"
advisers: "you'll get 'em next time."
nadal: "i didn't even wanna play."
advisers: "hey, we're going to paris now. you love it there!"
nadal: "ok."

nadal in june: "i got beat again. i couldn't get to those balls. maybe i need some rest?"
advisers: "no worries. we'll go see a doctor. now, pack your bags."
nadal: "doc says i have tendinitis in both knees and some fluid build-up."
advisers: "well, we'll skip queens this year. you can rest then."
nadal: "but my knees really hurt now. i think playing all the time is just making them worse."
advisers: "hmm . . . well, go ahead and rest then. no wait! how bout you play an exhibition match . . . see how you feel then?"
nadal: "but i already told you, i don't feel good."
advisers: "i know you did. but it's just an exo. run around a little, see if you can't shake off the pain . . . walk it off . . ."
nadal: "you really think so? ok."

nadal this week: "OUCH! that hurts!"
advisers: "sorry! go on and lie down. we'll have another look at your knees after tomorrow's match with stan."
nadal: "wha . . . you want me to play again?"
advisers: "sure, sure . . . i mean, we want to be sure that you won't be able to participate in wimbledon for legitimate reasons. this is a big tournament, after all. we don't want to be too hasty . . ."
nadal: "well, ok. but i feel REALLY bad and my knees are all stiff and i'm having a lot of trouble running down balls . . ."
advisers: "hmm . . . yeah . . . that sounds serious. let's talk after the match."

rafa at the press conference: "i'll be out for one month, maybe more."

well, i suppose he'll be getting all the rest he needs now. thanks team!

malakas
06-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Actually Veroniquem and Iriraz make a very good point. Rafa will require some heavy treatments, drugs and physio to recover from this issue. It will definately take 6 to 8 weeks to recover to 90% and since this is a chronic problem he may never be 100% again. That leaves him little time to prepare for the HC season including the USO and it also puts him at immediate risk of re-injuring his knees right away if he pushes too hard. 2009 may be over for Rafa.

thanx for your valuable input tennez.Very much appreciated.
I really think he should take more than a month off.

batz
06-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I appreciate that everyone is different, but I hope Rafa has more luck with this injury than Manchester Utd and England footballer Owen Hargreaves - whose tendinitis has caused all sorts of problems and required multiple surgeries.

The start of Hargreaves' second season at United was blighted by injury worries, specifically a recurring patellar tendinitis problem that restricted him to sporadic appearances in 2007–08. After trips to specialists in both London and Sweden yielded no results, Hargreaves travelled to Colorado, United States, in November 2008 to visit renowned knee surgeon, Richard Steadman.[2][3] Hargreaves underwent surgery on his right knee on 10 November 2008 and received a similar operation on his left knee in January 2009. However, this meant that Hargreaves would miss the remainder of the 2008–09 season.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargreaves

egn
06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
I think so too. The USO is still too close. I don't think he'll get another slam this year but he will come back very strong in the fall.

I agree and on top of that it is his least favorite surface, it is the worst for his game and he will not be well prepared. Sure he will be rested but if he is out for more than a month he might miss most of the summer hardcourts. Nadal should scrap this year and get ready for next season, show up at the US Open and take it light just to get some points and keep his rank in the top 5 area but he should really in my opinion focus on defending that Aussie Title he has and regaining his crown at France. If he can work out his knee issue he has tons of years left to win the US OPen (okay 4-5 but still) going out full blown to win the US Open and then blowing out his knees and ending his career at 7 slams with a career slam and maybe 1 number 1 year is not what he wants to do, he has a lot more potential and now is time for smart planning.

urban
06-20-2009, 09:51 AM
At the moment, i see Nadal having a very good chance at the USO. If he plans his schedule smartly, he will come in fresh and rested. If no surgery is required, i don't think, he will be out for more than 1- 1,5 months. Obviously he can play tennis at the moment, but not on his real level.

Madhoshi22
06-20-2009, 03:29 PM
they never did an MRI, but did take blood samples, x-ray and blood/fluid from the swollen area. x-rays showed nothing. blood tests were fine...so no infections of any kind. i think, basically, by ruling out a lot of things they have narrowed it down to an arthritic problem. i was transferred to see a doctor specializing in arthritis and they mentioned a cortosone shot if nothing had changed by the time i have to go back for a visit (which is in a couple weeks). they said ice won't due much (after the first 24/48 hours of initial swelling), but to try and keep it elevated as much as possible.

Hmm well definitely keep icing and elevating it, like I said, the next step up from your meds is a cortisone shot. But you wanna stay as far from that as possible as you can, make that your last resort so to speak.

Good luck, and I hope it gets better!