PDA

View Full Version : Darren Cahill on Nadal's withdrawal

Pages : [1] 2

shawn1122
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4272802&categoryid=2491545

Cahill says that Nadal's withdrawal is mostly due to psychological reasons rather than physical.

フェデラー
06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Or it could be both lol.

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Cahill is the biggest Nadal hater. He mentioned he wanted to kick Nadal's water bottles over during a match to see how Nadal would react.

The-Champ
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Is he Rafa's doctor? What a moron!

Cesc Fabregas
06-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Cahill is the biggest Nadal hater. He mentioned he wanted to kick Nadal's water bottles over during a match to see how Nadal would react.

Always makes me laugh when people say that Pat Cash said it aswell it would be a bad thing to do because it would fire up Nadal.

bolo
06-19-2009, 01:27 PM

Cahill says that Nadal's withdrawal is mostly due to psychological reasons rather than physical.

Well I have lost some respect for Cahill. Too bad.

Aykhan Mammadov
06-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Simply to win continuosly is very hard, a body refuses in the end. So Nadal is tired physically and hence psychologically also.

Dutch-Guy
06-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Who's that joke? I've never heard of him before.

bolo

No he's usually very fair to nadal. This is just a moronic thing to say and I am surprised he said it.

All-rounder
I disagree with the its more mentally than physical
But i do agree that nadal should rescheule

TennisandMusic
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
That's about as unprofessional as the man can get. Completely uncalled for and disgusting.

zagor
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Sorry but that's just pure BS IMO.Sure Nadal might have been mentally drained a bit from all the pressure that comes with being number one and from his shock loss at FO but Nadal is one of the biggest fighters in tennis I've ever seen.I'm 100% sure that if he was physically fit(or even close to being it)he would have tried defending his title.Normally I have a high opinon on Cahill as a tennis expert but this time I think he's definitely wrong.

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
No he's usually very fair to nadal. This is just a moronic thing to say and I am surprised he said it.
He did say that though. He wanted to kick Nadal's bottles over to see how Nadal would react. He has always been a Fed/Hewitt fanboy from what I've seen though he hides it pretty well. But occasionally he says some very anti-Nadal comments. Listen in closer.

bolo
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
He did say that though. He wanted to kick Nadal's bottles over to see how Nadal would react. He has always been a Fed fanboy from what I've seen though he hides it pretty well. But occasionally he says some very anti-Nadal comments. Listen in closer.

I agree he said it, I don't think it means anything.

Cindysphinx
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
What a fool.

I guess Sharapova's shoulder injury was mostly mental too, eh Darren?

Hey, I had knee problems. Knee problems are not mental or psychological. You simply can't bend it the way you need to, and you can't make sharp starts and stops the way you want. You're slow and late. And it hurts every time you do things correctly. I can't imagine playing five sets of tennis on swollen, aching knees.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed out until the US Open.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Cahill says that Nadal's withdrawal is mostly due to psychological reasons rather than physical. I would agree. Though it's more 50/50.

bizarre_opinion
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
at least darren is talking some sense.

Dutch-Guy
06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I would agree. Though it's more 50/50.

Do you really think that Rafa skipped Wimby,the most prestigious of slams,where he has 2000 points to defend, becoz of some "psychological reasons"?

angharad
06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I think he phrased things poorly. We've seen Nadal overcome injuries before through pure determination. Nadal's probably mentally exhausted and completely unable to overcome any sort of injury right now. He's not denying that Nadal's injured, he just seems to be saying that there's no real fight left.

And, pre-emptively: I do believe Nadal's injured, and although I'm sad he'll be missing Wimbledon, I'm glad he's resting properly.

Hey, I had knee problems. Knee problems are not mental or psychological. You simply can't bend it the way you need to, and you can't make sharp starts and stops the way you want. You're slow and late. And it hurts every time you do things correctly. I can't imagine playing five sets of tennis on swollen, aching knees.

I believe Cahill actually retired due to a knee problem that may have been chronic. I don't think he needs that explained to him.

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
BS. If Nadal says he is injured why not believe it?

chess9
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Or it could be both lol.

Yes, and how does one separate the physical from the mental? If I'm injured my head is going to be whacked. I think Darren has gone a bit out on a limb with this controversial opinion, as he hasn't seen any medical reports, and doesn't live in Rafa's shorts, as far as we know. :)

-Robert

Mafia13
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
''It's impossible to explain what I felt in that moment," said Nadal, who made a tearful ascent to the VIP box to celebrate with his family before making his way over to the royal box where he was congratulated by members of the Spanish royal family. "I'm very, very happy. It is a dream to play on this court, my favorite tournament, but I never imagined this."

This was his reaction last year and he has stated many times the significance that winning wimbledon had for him, I don't think that he would pull out if he had a chance to defend his title. It seemed to me that he was ok with his French open loss, he was even joking during the press conference. I respect Cahill, but this time he went way overboard

drakulie
06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Cahill is the biggest troll on TW.

JeMar
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I do think there's more to it than just his knees.

truthorbust
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM

I am not sure you are right , IMO its a case of a bit of both ..
If you are not well enough physically the psycholgical effects follow. .. Darren Cahill ( of Hewitt and Agassi coaching -fame)has been around longer than Toni and Rafa as a player and then as a coach so he tends to know waht he is talking about.

Having said that i hope Rafa will comeback soon..but i have a feeling he is burnt out a bit and could become the new Bjorn Borg .

Devilito
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Is he Rafa's doctor? What a moron!

agreed. WTF kind of idiotic comment to make about a guy who's busted his *** getting to number 1 in the world and owning what most consider to be the GOAT in their head to head.

BigServer1
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think that Cahill was saying that Nadal's recent losses have gotten to him and that his loss at the French has mentally affected him...

What I gather from this is that Cahill is of the opinion that Nadal's injury makes him much, MUCH less confident in his body and in his game, and confidence is a huge part of any players game. If Nadal could get out there and play a bit, but he questioned every step he takes, he won't have a whole lot of success.

I don't think that Nadal is anywhere near fully healthy, but I do think that this is not 100% physical. If he can't trust his legs completely, then that will be in his head and it will affect his play. With that said, he needs to take a bunch of time off and try to completely kick this injury, or get as close to 100% healthy and pain free as he can.

One thing is for sure, his game is amazing, but it's taken its toll on his body.

bruce38
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
HE surely is injured. I think Cahill is just saying it's more than just the knees contributing to the decision. I tend to agree.

Defcon
06-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm not saying Cahill's right, but one way to look at this is champions don't want to enter a fight they know they can't win, and obviously Nadal knows he can't win, so the motivation would certainly be lacking.

Tennis_Bum
06-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Who's that joke? I've never heard of him before.

Regardless of how you feel about him, he been around. He's been around for a long time. He coached Hewitt to #1 and coached Agassi to #1. So he coached the youngest and oldest #1 in ATP. Fed wanted to hire him but the two of them didn't agree on something so the deal was off.

bruce38
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah I'm sure Cahill knows a lot more than the bunch of you lot.

World Beater
06-19-2009, 02:49 PM
cahill was federer's biggest critic for a long while.

everyone has been talking about federer's psychological tribulations since last year..its now nadal's turn.

you can bet there is a psychological component to it. nadal admitted it. but im sure he is legitimately injured.

el sergento
06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
"When I come back, I want to come back with 100% mentality and physical [...] The problem right know is, when I am playing I am thinking more about the knees than about the game, so it's very difficult to play well like this." RN

Watch the vid, even Nadal says that his problems are both physical and mental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ViOIsJGy0

forehand_dude
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I wonder what evidence Cahill has as the basis for this criticism. The guy interviewing him totally blew it when he said "Let's focus on the physical aspect."

What he should have said is, "That's a serious criticism against a guy who's normally considered one of the toughest mentally in the game. What makes you think his current problems are psychological."

Maybe Cahill has information we don't.

imalil2gangsta4u
06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
He needs to get into his place.

bolo
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I wonder what evidence Cahill has as the basis for this criticism. The guy interviewing him totally blew it when he said "Let's focus on the physical aspect."

What he should have said is, "That's a serious criticism against a guy who's normally considered one of the toughest mentally in the game. What makes you think his current problems are psychological."

Maybe Cahill has information we don't.

Only possible explanation that saves cahill.

I noticed that too, but imo he did that to try and save cahill from looking like a further ***.

bolo
06-19-2009, 03:52 PM
HE surely is injured. I think Cahill is just saying it's more than just the knees contributing to the decision. I tend to agree.

No he is saying more than that. He is saying it's more psychological than physical. He ends it with "to be quite honest" cahill knows he is saying something controversial.

THe announcer makes a crack in response as well, "this just in, knees are important". lol

Al Czervik
06-19-2009, 03:52 PM
It is fair in the sense that Rafa is saying I am taking my ball and going home because I can't win the whole thing. I expected Rafa to be the type of guy that if he could even walk, he would do anything to be out there to defend his crown. I guess I was wrong.

Fearsome Forehand
06-19-2009, 03:58 PM
If you listen to Cahill's comments in context, I think by "mental" problems he means burnout, and perhaps that Nadal is worrying about injuring his knee even more.

Nadal said that it wasn't so much that he was in severe pain when he was on court. It was more that he was worrying about his knees, instead of thinking about his match.

A knee injury like that does make one a little tentative.

Bud
06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
"When I come back, I want to come back with 100% mentality and physical [...] The problem right know is, when I am playing I am thinking more about the knees than about the game, so it's very difficult to play well like this." RN

Watch the vid, even Nadal says that his problems are both physical and mental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ViOIsJGy0

He stated he's constantly thinking about his knees... which are apparently in pain. If one wants to call that a mental problem then so be it.

Bud
06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Cahill is the biggest troll on TW.

:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps, he's been visiting the forum too much lately.

theaustin09
06-19-2009, 04:11 PM
What a failure!! This is just terrible to see nadal is already breaking down. To anyone who thought that nadal would pass both sampras and federer for most grandslams....YOU GOT TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!! I think nadal will get only one more slam. It is only time till king roger will retake his spot as the #1 in the world.

Bud
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
What a failure!! This is just terrible to see nadal is already breaking down. To anyone who thought that nadal would pass both sampras and federer for most grandslams....YOU GOT TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!! I think nadal will get only one more slam. It is only time till king roger will retake his spot as the #1 in the world.

OK, troll. Next time, address the subject of the thread.

OTMPut
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Sure Nadal might have been mentally drained a bit from all the pressure that comes with being number one and from his shock loss at FO but Nadal is one of the biggest fighters in tennis I've ever seen.

how many weeks has nadal been as #1? one loss at a GS and he is drained? he is drained out and yet he is the biggest fighter?! you must be one of the nadal haters that drakulie mentions.

may be it is just that he looks menacing and dresses to back it up. sure he had some matches where he fought back from deficits, but which pro has not done it?

how can he be the toughest player mentally (some here claim he is GOAT in that dept)?

zagor
06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
It is fair in the sense that Rafa is saying I am taking my ball and going home because I can't win the whole thing. I expected Rafa to be the type of guy that if he could even walk, he would do anything to be out there to defend his crown. I guess I was wrong.

It ain't that simple.Yes I'm sure a player like Fed for example might have participated even if he was in the same health situation as Nadal because he has much better serve(much more free points off it) and can play much more agressively from the baseline but for the guy like Nadal for whome no matter how much he improved over the years(and he certainly did improve by quite a bit)his amazing defense and tenacity to get to every ball still remains the foundation of his game,if he can't do that to the best of his ability his chance to win decreases quite a lot.So why should he struggle and try to win a few rounds when in the big picture he's better of trying to rest and heal his knees?

So IMO his decision to rest and heal and probably make a strong charge for USO latter this year is the wisest he could make at this moment,playing a few round and risking aggravating the injury further(which with Nadal's playing style is a strong possibility)would be wrong IMO.

theaustin09
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Sorry bud all i am saying is that the withdraw is because of the hard clay court season that he plays before the french open. If he is going to withdraw becuase of a loss in the french it shows he is mentally unstable. Sure Darren Cahill dosent like nadal but i dont think he is completely right in saying that its a mental thing.

zagor
06-19-2009, 04:21 PM
how many weeks has nadal been as #1? one loss at a GS and he is drained? he is drained out and yet he is the biggest fighter?! you must be one of the nadal haters that drakulie mentions.

may be it is just that he looks menacing and dresses to back it up. sure he had some matches where he fought back from deficits, but which pro has not done it?

how can he be the toughest player mentally (some here claim he is GOAT in that dept)?

I'm speculating,obviously I can't know for sure.But maybe loss to Soderling did affect him mentally,it ain't easy losing a slam you've been dominating for years.Fed losing Wimbledon affected him as well,I consider them both to be mentally tough but they're still humans.

I still don't think that's the main reason Nadal withdrew so I don't share Cahill's opinion.

Bud
06-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Sorry bud all i am saying is that the withdraw is because of the hard clay court season that he plays before the french open. If he is going to withdraw becuase of a loss in the french it shows he is mentally unstable. Sure Darren Cahill dosent like nadal but i dont think he is completely right in saying that its a mental thing.

That's not what you said. Here, read it again.

AlpineCadet

Did anyone in this thread actually listen to the Cahill interview? :confused::oops::shock:

dirkgnuf
How many people here actually listened the clip before posting a response? Cahill mentioned that it was a combination of both, and of course mental and physical burnout go hand in hand (Look at Djokovic) and nobody neglected to mention the "personal issues" that Nadal alluded to earlier this year during the hardcourt season (the possible divorce between his parents can certainly be one of them, and given the closeness that Nadal has to his family, divorce can certainly prove to be a mental strain etc)

Cahill is in no way saying he doesn't believe in Nadal's injuries etc, he just thinks that overall, there's more to it than just the tendinitis itself.

jman
06-19-2009, 04:26 PM
He did say that though. He wanted to kick Nadal's bottles over to see how Nadal would react. He has always been a Fed/Hewitt fanboy from what I've seen though he hides it pretty well. But occasionally he says some very anti-Nadal comments. Listen in closer.

I think this was meant to be taken as a joke. I've actually heard alot of commentators noticing Nadal's OCD with the bottles and all, and they wanted to see what would happen if they were misplaced or what not.

Nadal withdrawing, is a very smart move. Even though he is defending champ, and might loose his number 1 spot, his longevity is more important. Wise move.

Hopefully he can recuperate 100%, and win the U.S Open this year..

gj011
06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't like Cahill's comments.

Polaris
06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Whatever reason Cahill gave for Nadal's withdrawal, he did seem to have a lot of sympathy for Nadal.

Some of the things that he said made sense. Most years, Nadal has broken down prior to the US Open. This year, maybe it happened sooner. It might be a blessing in disguise though - Nadal may find himself going into the US Open a lot fresher than usual.

OTMPut
06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm speculating,obviously I can't know for sure.But maybe loss to Soderling did affect him mentally,it ain't easy losing a slam you've been dominating for years.Fed losing Wimbledon affected him as well,I consider them both to be mentally tough but they're still humans.

I still don't think that's the main reason Nadal withdrew so I don't share Cahill's opinion.

Looks like it is more a physical issue.

Even after such a close loss at his Wimbledon, Fed fought on to win USO. Since Nadal is considered tougher than Fed i suppose it must essentially be a physical issue. He ceases to be one of the (physically) fittest player on the tour though.

VivalaVida
06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Unbelievable! Cahill didnt even say anything awful about nadal. He said that there could be psychological factor involved along with his knee injury. I have feeling most people didnt even watch the clip.

theaustin09
06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
That's not what you said. Here, read it again.

OKAY OKAY SO THE FIRST POST WAS OFF TOPIC!!! but my second response is more on topic and IMO is the reason of the withdraw. and some of the people prove a good point in saying that losing a tourney youre known to dominate but I would hope that is not the main reason for him pulling out. For Nadals sake hopefully this is not a re-ocurring trend

OTMPut
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Some of the things that he said made sense. Most years, Nadal has broken down prior to the US Open. This year, maybe it happened sooner. It might be a blessing in disguise though - Nadal may find himself going into the US Open a lot fresher than usual.

Shockingly he broke down as early as FO this year. Unfortunate for such an young talent.

ksbh
06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Darren Cahill is a f*cking idiot, to put it mildly!

DoubleDeuce
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry but that's just pure BS IMO.Sure Nadal might have been mentally drained a bit from all the pressure that comes with being number one and from his shock loss at FO but Nadal is one of the biggest fighters in tennis I've ever seen.I'm 100% sure that if he was physically fit(or even close to being it)he would have tried defending his title.Normally I have a high opinon on Cahill as a tennis expert but this time I think he's definitely wrong.

Nope, you sure dont know more than Toni.

He said several days ago that he doesnt feel confident. So you're self sweeting again repeating how tough he is mentally.

bolo
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Unbelievable! Cahill didnt even say anything awful about nadal. He said that there could be psychological factor involved along with his knee injury. I have feeling most people didnt even watch the clip.

VivalaVida, you need to listen to it again. He didn't just say there could be, he said it's likely the primary reason for the withdrawal even more than the physical.

Fandango
06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
He needed a good excuse for losing to Soderling.

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
He needed a good excuse for losing to Soderling.

Ummmmmm..........what? :shock:

He's not making excuses for anything.

bolo
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Ummmmmm..........what? :shock:

He's not making excuses for anything.

the popcorn has gone to fandango's brain. :)

fastdunn
06-19-2009, 05:35 PM
There must be some mental let-down from FO loss (or regret that he over-played before FO etc...)

But it must be largely physical. Nadal never strikes me as a guy who would shy away from his problem. This is an Olympian who would fight for every huddle.

By the way, it is not only Nadal's playing style but also what he is born with his legs. I remember a couple of years ago, he tried to change the way he steps on his foot and he started to use an orthotics in his shoes. This suggests he has some kind of structural imperfection in his footing which might gives more stress on his knees.

Federer's easy style might be easy on his body but part of his talent is his physique. He must have the least about of imperfection in his body. 6'1" slim body and long arms and legs. No real structural imperfaction. That's a big part of physical talent that Federer has. Look at Murray's left ankle, Roddick's flat type feet, Djokovic's breathing problem and so on. Even a guy like Sampras had a too high arch in his feet which caused frequent shin problems. Federer must have been endowed with great physique.

zagor
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Nope, you sure dont know more than Toni.

He said several days ago that he doesnt feel confident. So you're self sweeting again repeating how tough he is mentally.

I'm not surprised if his confidence did take a hit after losing at the FO,I mean he has dominated that slam since 2005 and I'm sure the loss hurt very badly but that doesn't take away from the fact that I consider Nadal to be very mentally tough.I think Wimbledon loss last year took his tool on Fed's confidence as well resulting in early losses in Toronto,Cinncinati and Olympics.that doesn't mean I don't think Fed is mentally tough as well.

I consider both of them to be very tough upstairs but that doesn't mean they never suffer from a lack of confidence,they're humans,not machines.

rod99
06-19-2009, 05:46 PM
my question is that if nadal's knees were so bad during the french open then why didn't he have a brace below them like he did basically all of last year?

The-Champ
06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
my question is that if nadal's knees were so bad during the french open then why didn't he have a brace below them like he did basically all of last year?

Because those were white braces.

He was wearing black shorts and pink shirt at the FO, and the white braces wouldn't look good in that combination.

el sergento
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
He stated he's constantly thinking about his knees... which are apparently in pain. If one wants to call that a mental problem then so be it.

If the guy says he wants to come back 100% physical and mental, doesn't that pretty much confirm that mentally, or psychologically, that he's not 100%??

Obviously the physical problems are the catalyst; but I don't see why it's so hard to conceive that on top of his sore knees, that the poor guy might also be suffering form a mild burn out.

Either way, to say that Cahill is completely off the mark, especially considering Nadal's own statements is just plain foolish.....anyway, just my 0.02$

el sergento
06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Federer's easy style might be easy on his body but part of his talent is his physique. He must have the least about of imperfection in his body. 6'1" slim body and long arms and legs. No real structural imperfaction. That's a big part of physical talent that Federer has. Look at Murray's left ankle, Roddick's flat type feet, Djokovic's breathing problem and so on. Even a guy like Sampras had a too high arch in his feet which caused frequent shin problems. Federer must have been endowed with great physique.

Did you just say Fed is well endowed:twisted:

Sorry bout that couldn't resist.

OT, Sampras actually suffer from a form of anemia, which is a huge handicap.

rod99
06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Because those were white braces.

He was wearing black shorts and pink shirt at the FO, and the white braces wouldn't look good in that combination.

i'm going to assume your post is a joke. nadal isn't stupid enough to not wear knee braces (when they are needed) on account that they don't match with his outfit.

DoubleDeuce
06-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm not surprised if his confidence did take a hit after losing at the FO,I mean he has dominated that slam since 2005 and I'm sure the loss hurt very badly but that doesn't take away from the fact that I consider Nadal to be very mentally tough.I think Wimbledon loss last year took his tool on Fed's confidence as well resulting in early losses in Toronto,Cinncinati and Olympics.that doesn't mean I don't think Fed is mentally tough as well.

I consider both of them to be very tough upstairs but that doesn't mean they never suffer from a lack of confidence,they're humans,not machines.

That's true. However please notice that Nadal has never been in a situation like this before. Federer had his worse year by his own standards and came back to win USO, after his biggest loss at his most favorite major.

Can Nadal do the same? Only time can tell so calling what Cahill suggest just BS is a little bit hasty. I did not see his whole interview but people say he was emotional and in verge of tears. What I am saying here is before dismissing a mental factor altogether we need to wait and see how good he can recover from this.

TheNatural
06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
The knee was affecting the whole kinetic chain in his motions and affecting his shots and thus the losses and loss of confidence due to not being in control and also not being able to practice and play properly at his level. You could clearly see how much the knee was affecting his shots, making him hit very short and making him make all sorts of errors he normally would not make and was also making his serve get worse and worse. He's doing the right thing saying that he wants time off for a proper recovery instead of playing 'patched up' and in pain all of the time.

NamRanger
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Did you just say Fed is well endowed:twisted:

Sorry bout that couldn't resist.

OT, Sampras actually suffer from a form of anemia, which is a huge handicap.

Sampras had a minor form of Thalassmia, which can cause minor anemia. It is not a huge handicap at all; it can affect Sampras if he plays a long and extremely grueling match. However, in the majority of Sampras matches (and considering his style of play) there is no way Thalassemia affected him. Maybe if you were Corrjeta and running Sampras left and right, and running him completely raggid, yes, it would make a difference then. But the way Sampras played, which was to impose his game, it really didn't make a difference.

TheTruth
06-19-2009, 06:24 PM

I agree. I can't believe a supposed commentator, (99% of them) would allow themselves to be seen in such a biased light. I have no respect for any of them.

TheTruth
06-19-2009, 06:27 PM

I lost respect for him a while back when he was letting out trade secrets about Hewitt. Somehow they must have patched things up, but for whatever reason it was uncalled for and unprofessional.

ChanceEncounter
06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
VivalaVida, you need to listen to it again. He didn't just say there could be, he said it's likely the primary reason for the withdrawal even more than the physical.

Did you actually listen to him all the way through or just make a snap judgment?

2:40

"No question about it, the way he plays, the physicality that he brings on to the court, the fact that he's probably grown up playing on the clay, and a lot of these injuries have come so much from him playing on the clay courts and him going pretty quickly to the grass and then the hard courts. He always, in previous years, have broken down physically going into the US Open. I think it's just year after year of doing that type of tennis, playing that type of style, that's kind of broken him down and gotten the knees into the position they are now..."

There you have it. Point blank. Cahill recognizes that there's a physical aspect to it, and he understands that Nadal is hurting just like he has in previous years.

The difference he says, is not that his knees are that much worse this year, but because of the year he's had, mentally and physically, so far in 2009. I think that's a valid point. Tendonitis can flare, but since Nadal is a chronic sufferer of tendonitis, the flares shouldn't be something that he's never experienced before. Nadal has acknowledged that he's played through the pain before, but that he "can't go on like this anymore."

It's pretty obvious that his physical injury is only one aspect of it. He's withdrawing from Wimbledon because he's mentally out of it too.

SikSerb
06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Psychological? Nadal himself stated its his knees. Unless of course Cahill knows better.

Spider
06-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I trust Nadal wouldn't fake his injury, he has been a warrior all along. But somewhere I feel, he wanted to check his draw and see who would he be facing on his way to the title defense. If Djokovic was in his draw, I think Nadal wouldn't have skipped Wimbledon.

I think mentally Nadal is afraid of Murray. The second set at Monte Carlo (on his favorite surface, Murray was doing some imaginable things which many have failed to do against Rafa).

Therefore, to an extent, I agree with Darren.

Federer's cat
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM

Australians.

Nadal_Freak
06-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I trust Nadal wouldn't fake his injury, he has been a warrior all along. But somewhere I feel, he wanted to check his draw and see who would he be facing on his way to the title defense. If Djokovic was in his draw, I think Nadal wouldn't have skipped Wimbledon.

I think mentally Nadal is afraid of Murray. The second set at Monte Carlo (on his favorite surface, Murray was doing some imaginable things which many have failed to do against Rafa).

Therefore, to an extent, I agree with Darren.
Oh yes. Plenty of proof that Nadal is afraid of Murray. From last years Wimbledon beat down, Indian Wells beatdown, and Monte-Carlo straight setter clearly shows Nadal's fear. :rolleyes: Why can't people accept the truth? There is nothing Nadal would rather do then be competing at Wimbledon this year.

Serendipitous
06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh yes. Plenty of proof that Nadal is afraid of Murray. From last years Wimbledon beat down, Indian Wells beatdown, and Monte-Carlo straight setter clearly shows Nadal's fear. :rolleyes: Why can't people accept the truth? There is nothing Nadal would rather do then be competing at Wimbledon this year.

Epic....:twisted:

chrisw
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
WTH? Cahill wasn't dissing Nadal. He just said Nadal's tired mentally and needs a break, that's all. I think maybe some of you guys see the word "psychological" and think mental illness or something negative. No it does not - it just means stuff having to do with the mind and emotions. People do get tired mentally too, there's nothing wrong with taking a break for this.

Serve_Ace
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Australians.

Hey man....chill out....

MsPiggy
06-19-2009, 07:46 PM
There must be some mental let-down from FO loss (or regret that he over-played before FO etc...)

But it must be largely physical. Nadal never strikes me as a guy who would shy away from his problem. This is an Olympian who would fight for every huddle.

By the way, it is not only Nadal's playing style but also what he is born with his legs. I remember a couple of years ago, he tried to change the way he steps on his foot and he started to use an orthotics in his shoes. This suggests he has some kind of structural imperfection in his footing which might gives more stress on his knees.

Federer's easy style was due to his 3 year physical conditioning plan with his trainer Paganini even before he started winning majors. Many people do not know this or they tend not to recognize it but I personally feel that it was the best investment he has ever made for his career. So I don't quite agree with you saying that he's physically perfect because nobody is. Roger is not only physically capable but he's a very smart player.

Aces09
06-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I think he's just being honest. Too many people don't speak their mind and hold stuff in and try and be "politically correct" and it's all bull. Darin Cahill was asked a question and spoke his mind. Let's respect his opinion and be mature

sh@de
06-19-2009, 08:11 PM
I think Cahill just didn't phrase what he said very well, hence the somewhat rude / disgusting comment.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Do you really think that Rafa skipped Wimby,the most prestigious of slams,where he has 2000 points to defend, becoz of some "psychological reasons"? Fed played with mono and reached the AO semi-final. Considering how important his mental game is to his overall game I do think that psychological reasons played a part in his withdrawal.

angharad
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Psychological? Nadal himself stated its his knees. Unless of course Cahill knows better.
Right, because an active player - especially intimidating Nadal - is going to sit there and say "Well, the knees hurt, but I just can't deal with losing the French and my parents splitting up and all the other crap that's going wrong in my life." Yeah, that's likely.

I think Cahill just didn't phrase what he said very well, hence the somewhat rude / disgusting comment.

How was it rude or disgusting? Cahill said what half the people on this board and others have been saying since Nadal's RG loss. Apparently the outrage really only kicks in when that particular opinion's broadcast on ESPN.

ChiefAce
06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Are people really upset about Cahill's take on this? I happen to agree with him a little bit, it's obviously physical, but it could also be part mental. Cahill is well respected in the tennis community for a reason, and much more in the know than random forum posters at TW.

zagor
06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
That's true. However please notice that Nadal has never been in a situation like this before. Federer had his worse year by his own standards and came back to win USO, after his biggest loss at his most favorite major.

Can Nadal do the same? Only time can tell so calling what Cahill suggest just BS is a little bit hasty. I did not see his whole interview but people say he was emotional and in verge of tears. What I am saying here is before dismissing a mental factor altogether we need to wait and see how good he can recover from this.

Agree with what you say here and I normally do respect Cahill a lot but I just though it was unfair to Nadal to say that it was more mental than physical(as I think that if Nadal were anyhow able to defend his title he would)but then again maybe Cahill knows something we don't,he's a top proffesional coach afterall and I'm sure he has access to more information than us.

The_Steak
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
How is this disgusting? I agree with Darren.

devila
06-19-2009, 09:44 PM
It's like when Federer was beaten by Karlovic. Cahill claimed he was "stunned". "Karlovic played his best match ever". Apparently, Roddick paid Cahill to forget Federer's stupidity.

He told Roddick to quit playing till the year after and hope to serve 100 aces to win a match. "Have something resembling a net game."
His sweeties Federer, Agassi and Hewitt loved themselves so much, only die-hard delusional fans care for them. No one's smarter and full of charm than them.

veroniquem
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Cahill's words are as despicable as Fed's: yes yes everything is in the head, Rafa's knee doesn't hurt, there's no pain, no edema, no tendinitis, Rafa is physically fine, the doctors are delirious, all the problems and treatments on his knees for years have been pure fabrication, the machines he brought to W for therapy were for show only, it's psychological and that's it.
Honestly this is sad. Those guys should be ashamed of themselves.

devila
06-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Federer's easy style was due to his 3 year physical conditioning plan with his trainer Paganini even before he started winning majors. Many people do not know this or they tend not to recognize it but I personally feel that it was the best investment he has ever made for his career. So I don't quite agree with you saying that he's physically perfect because nobody is. Roger is not only physically capable but he's a very smart player.
Federer's no smarter than other top players. You're just his defender and can't recognize body structure advantages. No one forgot that trainers helped Federer's fitness. He didn't need to stretch harder because his bone structure's much stronger and muscles are thin and flexible.

Do you really believe Sampras and Agassi are smarter than heavy flat-footed players like Roddick?
Santoro and Laver got to their potential, not just because they have physical advantages over most opponents.
Federer thinks he could get away with crying, lies and insults. He likes another player doing the hard work to make his draw an easy joke. But, he acts like he cares for the hard worker. See his rant in Australia and smug smile after the 2005 US Open & 2007 Wimbledon quarterfinal.

He's pretentious and craves people's special treatment and ignorance of his arrogance. That's not great intellect.

jamesblakefan#1
06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Damn man, devila, WTH do you have against Roddick? EVERY SINGLE one of your posts, and I mean every one, rips Roddick either directly or indirectly. Did he steal Brooklyn from you? If so, I understand.

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Cahill makes pretty good sense. A bit direct and probably not politically correct but his analysis seems to be pretty much accurate - a combination of knees and mental aspects. The RG loss must've been devastating for Rafa more than we can imagine and it shows. His confidence is shot - loss in Madrid, loss at RG exhibition, early loss at RG 09, losing both exhibitions on grass. Not the most positive note to end the clay/grass court season. HC season is his worst surface in terms of accomplishments. But maybe he can turn things around. If he wins the US Open he will be rejuvenated. If he does poorly, I cannot see him recovering to his very top form next year let alone the rest of this year.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Federer's no smarter than other top players. You're just his defender and can't recognize body structure advantages. No one forgot that trainers helped Federer's fitness. He didn't need to stretch harder because his bone structure's much stronger and muscles are thin and flexible.

Do you really believe Sampras and Agassi are smarter than heavy flat-footed players like Roddick?
Santoro and Laver got to their potential, not just because they have physical advantages over most opponents.
Federer thinks he could get away with crying, lies and insults. He likes another player doing the hard work to make his draw an easy joke. But, he acts like he cares for the hard worker. See his rant in Australia and smug smile after the 2005 US Open & 2007 Wimbledon quarterfinal.

He's pretentious and craves people's special treatment and ignorance of his arrogance. That's not great intellect.

Good post.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-20-2009, 12:30 AM

He's pretentious and craves people's special treatment and ignorance of his arrogance. That's not great intellect. Pretty sad post from a Fed-hater. They always seem to pop-up when jealousy gets in the way.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Pretty sad post from a Fed-hater. They always seem to pop-up when jealousy gets in the way.

No jealousy its just Borg, Sampras and Nadal are real class acts and Federer trys to be but he isn't we see his true colours when he loses.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:34 AM
LOL...*******s just had to bring Roger in the whole thing and start bashing him for no solid reason whatsoever...
Funny! :lol: :lol:

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:34 AM
No jealousy its just Borg, Sampras and Nadal are real class acts and Federer trys to be but he isn't we see his true colours when he loses.
What? You've never seen Sampras cry on a tennis court before?

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
No jealousy its just Borg, Sampras and Nadal are real class acts and Federer trys to be but he isn't we see his true colours when he loses.:rolleyes:

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
LOL..Sampras was by no means humble ..(gosh, his fanatics are amusing) nor do I find Nadal the epitome of utmost humility.
That said, I love Sampras :wink:

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Yes but that was when Tim Gullikson Sampras' best friend and mentor had brain cancer and someone in the crowd shouted "do it for your coach" and Sampras just let all of his emotion out totally different situation to Federer who just lost a tennis match.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:37 AM
So since when did picking your butt become a "classy" thing to do?

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:40 AM
So since when did picking your butt become a "classy" thing to do?

Its a harmless habit.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes but that was when Tim Gullikson Sampras' best friend and mentor had brain cancer and someone in the crowd shouted "do it for your coach" and Sampras just let all of his emotion out totally different situation to Federer who just lost a tennis match.
Federer didn't cry because he lost a tennis match. He cried because someone in the stands yelled out - "We still love you Federer!" in the middle of all the adulation and support he was getting from the audience. The crowd still loved him despite his utter and very public failure.

So in both Sampras' and Federer's case, in their darkest moments, it was love that brought out their emotions. Sampras's love for his coach and vise versa, and Federer's love for his fans and vise versa.

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Class act or not ... who knows? We really do not know these guys personally so better not comment on that.

Think about this: he got voted by his peers time and time again as sportsman of the year for tennis. If his peers think he is a "class" act, what makes you (who I presume knows nothing about him on a personal level as most if not all folks on this board) certain that he is not? Just curious.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Its a harmless habit.
Do you do it? No? Then I guess you have no class. :(

AlpineCadet
06-20-2009, 12:43 AM
LOL..Sampras was by no means humble ..(gosh, his fanatics are amusing) nor do I find Nadal the epitome of utmost humility.
That said, I love Sampras :wink:

whomp whomp

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Do you do it? No? Then I guess you have no class. :(

It is a harmless habit it doesn't hurt anyone unlike Federer who usually comes out a critices his opponents after they beat him.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-20-2009, 12:58 AM
It is a harmless habit it doesn't hurt anyone unlike Federer who usually comes out a critices his opponents after they beat him. Funny that you can't prove it. Saying that you played poorly (which Nadal does although your fanboyism blinds you) is not criticizing your opponent.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Funny that you can't prove it. Saying that you played poorly (which Nadal does although your fanboyism blinds you) is not criticizing your opponent.

Erm remember when Federer had a go at Uncle Toni and called Nadal one dimensional after Nadal beat him at Rome? just shows what a classy guy Nadal is that is still friendly with Federer after those nasty comments.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Erm remember when Federer had a go at Uncle Toni and called Nadal one dimensional after Nadal beat him at Rome? just shows what a classy guy Nadal is that is still friendly with Federer after those nasty comments.
Um...because Nadal IS one-dimensional, especially back in 2006 when Nadal beat Federer in Rome. Even Uncle Toni himself said so!

There's nothing "nasty" about facts.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Erm remember when Federer had a go at Uncle Toni and called Nadal one dimensional after Nadal beat him at Rome? just shows what a classy guy Nadal is that is still friendly with Federer after those nasty comments. Well Uncle Toni isn't an opponent and that one dimensional thing was taken way out of context.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-20-2009, 01:12 AM
No jealousy its just Borg, Sampras and Nadal are real class acts and Federer trys to be but he isn't we see his true colours when he loses. That's why Federer has all those Sportsman of the year awards? Of course you are a *******/Federer-hater yourself so I don't expect you to know. Lol at Sampras being a class act.

AlpineCadet
06-20-2009, 01:19 AM
It is a harmless habit it doesn't hurt anyone unlike Federer who usually comes out a critices his opponents after they beat him.

You just showed your true colors. :oops: But that's okay though, Nadal needs all the support he can get.

bizarre_opinion
06-20-2009, 01:22 AM

i don't know why guy's on this board keep going on about this player's not 'classy' because of this.... and so and so is not 'classy' because of that..... i guess it must be a tennis thing. Anyway, i'm not saying fed is 'classy' but, a guy who does fist pumps and fly kicks whenever his opponent makes a mistake is far from being 'classy'.

bizarre_opinion
06-20-2009, 01:25 AM

hahaha, u joker. i guess u wouldn't mind picking nadal's backside for him? after all it's not harming anyone is it? hehehe what a joker.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 01:48 AM
That's why Federer has all those Sportsman of the year awards? Of course you are a *******/Federer-hater yourself so I don't expect you to know. Lol at Sampras being a class act.

"The year is 1996 and Sampras has just boarded the first-class cabin on a flight from Los Angeles to Tampa when the baseball player Barry Bonds arrives and is shown the adjoining seat. Bonds glances at Sampras but does not recognise the world No1 tennis player. He is accompanied by a friend who has been allotted the seat behind. “If this kid gets out you can move here,” Bonds announces, glaring at Sampras. The “kid” moves without saying a word."

sh@de
06-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Why has this thread turned into a great debate about who's classier?

AlpineCadet
06-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Welcome to the internet forum!

obsessedtennisfandisorder
06-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Just the number of replies in this thread to a seemingly harmless interview
just shows how senstive all these ******tards on here are.

Sorry *********s: The facts: nadal lost his roland baby

NOW It's time to MAN UP..just like Fed did last year.

It's nadal's own fault for not showing up..that's his failing.

Now with regards to the interview...Cahill is spot on...

If you KNOW you aren't 100% that affects you mentally....

Look at the way Guga played post 2002...knowing he was physically fragile

affected his game...

OOp's "I better not run down that lob...I might do more damage" etc

Nadal used to play care free..now he knows he can't and he can't handle it..hence... pullout.

So what happen if nadal plays and gets invovled in a LOOONG struggle in the 3rd round with someone like Blake?

*******s have been getting flamed on here ofr the past year but he dealt with it....now it's nadals turn..

Rhino
06-20-2009, 02:07 AM
This isn't about Cahill being a "hater" or a "****". Cahill is an adult, and I believe he's giving his honest opinion. Here on TW, where so much of the content is "hater/****" related, I think some posters find it hard to think beyond that mindset. In the real world it's not a totally unheard of concept for people to just tell it as they genuinely see it.
I think there are psychological implications here as well as physical. Nadal's confidence has definitely taken a hit in addition to his sore knees.
As a neutral person, I don't think that Cahill's conclusion is particularly hard to swallow.

GraniteHoosier
06-20-2009, 02:32 AM
In my opinion, it has to be psychological to some degree. His last (non exo) match was a month ago so I don't see how he could have gotten worse since then. I'm not saying he is 100%, clearly he isn't but it's not like he couldn't play at all. Instead of playing these exos it would have made more sense to me to wait until the tournament starts and give it a go. Even if he had to retire in the first match, I would at least appear he gave his best effort to play in the tournament.

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Cahill a hater???:confused:
He just said his opiniong,that this is affected by mental reason as well as physical.To which I agree 100%.

tahiti
06-20-2009, 04:30 AM
So because knee pain makes you mentally more busy with the pain than the game it's supposedly "more mental?" Oh well, anything to use broadcast time....

Morrissey
06-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Nadal isn't going to bail out of Wimbledon because "he's feeling bad psychologically." Nadal's a competitor and will find a way to get out of any mental or emotional hurdles. Cahill isn't known for being a Nadal lover, he's always been a Fed fanboy with an ESPN microphone so I don't take his opinion seriously.

Nadal isn't going to play Wimbledon if he feels he can't win it. Simple as that. He's not going to Wimby to play at 50-60 percent of his health in place. He needs more time to rest and recuperate his body. I just wish he took the time off after winning the AO and not play Rotterdam. He could have taken the entire month of February off and if he had to, skip Madrid or Barcelona during the clay season. What he needs more than anything from now on is someone who can manage his schedule better.

Richie Rich
06-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Its a harmless habit.

not when you do it with your right hand and shake hands with your right handed opponent after the match :sad:

bruce38
06-20-2009, 07:57 AM
No he is saying more than that. He is saying it's more psychological than physical. He ends it with "to be quite honest" cahill knows he is saying something controversial.

THe announcer makes a crack in response as well, "this just in, knees are important". lol

Maybe he's right.

kanamit
06-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Summary of the thread: Cahill mostly agreed with Nadal's pronounced reasons for withdrawing, but expressed his belief that Nadal is having a bit more psychological trouble than it appears. Nadal fans, seeing that Cahill has deviated from the Nadal catechism even one iota, have said some pretty disgusting things about Cahill. Shameful.

bruce38
06-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Summary of the thread: Cahill mostly agreed with Nadal's pronounced reasons for withdrawing, but expressed his belief that Nadal is having a bit more psychological trouble than it appears. Nadal fans, seeing that Cahill has deviated from the Nadal catechism even one iota, have said some pretty disgusting things about Cahill. Shameful.

Well said.

samster
06-20-2009, 08:35 AM
More nonsense from an "anal-yst"

vtmike
06-20-2009, 08:53 AM
This isn't about Cahill being a "hater" or a "****". Cahill is an adult, and I believe he's giving his honest opinion. Here on TW, where so much of the content is "hater/****" related, I think some posters find it hard to think beyond that mindset. In the real world it's not a totally unheard of concept for people to just tell it as they genuinely see it.
I think there are psychological implications here as well as physical. Nadal's confidence has definitely taken a hit in addition to his sore knees.
As a neutral person, I don't think that Cahill's conclusion is particularly hard to swallow.

Spot on .

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:10 AM
"The year is 1996 and Sampras has just boarded the first-class cabin on a flight from Los Angeles to Tampa when the baseball player Barry Bonds arrives and is shown the adjoining seat. Bonds glances at Sampras but does not recognise the world No1 tennis player. He is accompanied by a friend who has been allotted the seat behind. “If this kid gets out you can move here,” Bonds announces, glaring at Sampras. The “kid” moves without saying a word."

One example versus multiple years of Sportsmanship Awards. Yup. Your Barry Bonds example must trump all of those years of Sportsmanship Awards.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Nadal isn't going to bail out of Wimbledon because "he's feeling bad psychologically." Nadal's a competitor and will find a way to get out of any mental or emotional hurdles. Cahill isn't known for being a Nadal lover, he's always been a Fed fanboy with an ESPN microphone so I don't take his opinion seriously.

Nadal isn't going to play Wimbledon if he feels he can't win it. Simple as that. He's not going to Wimby to play at 50-60 percent of his health in place. He needs more time to rest and recuperate his body. I just wish he took the time off after winning the AO and not play Rotterdam. He could have taken the entire month of February off and if he had to, skip Madrid or Barcelona during the clay season. What he needs more than anything from now on is someone who can manage his schedule better.

If he has had the same problems with his knees, which is tendinitis, I highly doubt he has physically gotten worse. Cahill is probably right in that Nadal is just not mentally recovered yet. Nadal has had plenty of time to rest up after his FO loss; he just simply isn't mentally there as Cahill says.

Federer went through the same problem, as any professional athlete does. Federer had mono at the beginning of 2008, and proceeded to lose left and right for most of the year. Then he had a devastating loss on top of all of that at Wimbledon. It took a very long time for Federer to recover, and even then he has looked very shakey all year this year.

sureshs
06-20-2009, 10:01 AM
It is mostly in the head. Apparently, he was moving well against Wawrinka, better than against Hewitt. Still, he will not play. To me, it shows a fear of losing.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 10:04 AM
It is mostly in the head. Apparently, he was moving well against Wawrinka, better than against Hewitt. Still, he will not play. To me, it shows a fear of losing.
More like he dosent feel confident about his body keeping up with him and hesitates to go for his shots..hence the fear which is understandable..happens to all players at some point.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 10:59 AM
One example versus multiple years of Sportsmanship Awards. Yup. Your Barry Bonds example must trump all of those years of Sportsmanship Awards.

Sportsmanship Awards aren't a great indicater either.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Really? Then what is? The Noble Peace Prize?

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Really? Then what is? The Noble Peace Prize?

Depends who votes for the sportsmanship awards fans or fellow players?

mandy01
06-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Depends who votes for the sportsmanship awards fans or fellow players? The Stefan Edberg award atleast,is voted by the players not fans.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
The Stefan Edberg award atleast,is voted by the players not fans.

Ok thanks.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 11:31 AM
hahaha, u joker. i guess u wouldn't mind picking nadal's backside for him? after all it's not harming anyone is it? hehehe what a joker.
He would have to get his lips out of the way first before he can pick it. :lol: LOL

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 11:35 AM
And that "proves" Sampras has class? LMAO!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Is that all you've got?

Even Bernie Madoff would have moved seats for Barry Bond's friend.

bolo
06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Cahill can say whatever he wants, that's not the issue here. The issue here is that he used to say things which were verifiable one way or the other or things for which there was good to very good evidence.

Now he's gone into the territory of expressing his opinion (which he "gathered" from the news conference, using his gathering sense I guess, lol) like any typical lame sportscaster. So I am downrating him as an analyst and putting him more in the class of monday morning radio guys. He's now more in the area of typical shooting the **** with your friends at a bar territory. He used to be better, now is worse, that's all.

Maybe I shouldn't be that surprised, I used to think gilbert was better on the air in his first couple of years. It's possible that what happens to these guys is that they realize they get more play for saying controversial (note the phrase "to be quite honest") "interesting" things, so they slowly make the switch. Or maybe hanging around with other lame *** analysts slowly turns you into a lame *** analyst. Whatever the case this interview is not a good sign imo.

Overall, I am not ready to say cahill has jumped the shark, but this could be an indication that he is ready to make the switch to being just another talking head on TV.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, they only named the award after Stefan Edberg.

I guess Edberg had no class, either. :roll:

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Um...because Nadal IS one-dimensional, especially back in 2006 when Nadal beat Federer in Rome. Even Uncle Toni himself said so!

There's nothing "nasty" about facts.

So if someone is fat you go up to them and call them fat?

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 11:46 AM
What does that have to do with being one-dimensional? :confused:

It's like saying that Nadal hits with a lot of topspin.

Facts are facts.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
What does that have to do with being one-dimensional? :confused:

It's like saying that Nadal hits with a lot of topspin.

Facts are facts.

If someone is 25 stone they are fat but you don't go up to them and call them fat.

angharad
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Now he's gone into the territory of expressing his opinion (which he "gathered" from the news conference, using his gathering sense I guess, lol) like any typical lame sportscaster. So I am downrating him as an analyst and putting him more in the class of monday morning radio guys. He's now more in the area of typical shooting the **** with your friends at a bar territory. He used to be better, now is worse, that's all.

You're right, how dare he express his opinion when asked the question "What's your reaction to him pulling out"? Sheer audacity, that is.

bolo
06-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Did you actually listen to him all the way through or just make a snap judgment?

2:40

"No question about it, the way he plays, the physicality that he brings on to the court, the fact that he's probably grown up playing on the clay, and a lot of these injuries have come so much from him playing on the clay courts and him going pretty quickly to the grass and then the hard courts. He always, in previous years, have broken down physically going into the US Open. I think it's just year after year of doing that type of tennis, playing that type of style, that's kind of broken him down and gotten the knees into the position they are now..."

There you have it. Point blank. Cahill recognizes that there's a physical aspect to it, and he understands that Nadal is hurting just like he has in previous years.

The difference he says, is not that his knees are that much worse this year, but because of the year he's had, mentally and physically, so far in 2009. I think that's a valid point. Tendonitis can flare, but since Nadal is a chronic sufferer of tendonitis, the flares shouldn't be something that he's never experienced before. Nadal has acknowledged that he's played through the pain before, but that he "can't go on like this anymore."

It's pretty obvious that his physical injury is only one aspect of it. He's withdrawing from Wimbledon because he's mentally out of it too.

I listened to the whole thing several times ChanceEncounter. Cahill's claim is that it's MORE mental than physical. I disagree with Cahill's claim. We are diagreeing about the porportions here not whether there is just one or the other. What cahill does in the beginning is that he talks some about the physical problems but the first chance he gets he switches to his it's mostly psychological theory (which he "gathered" from the press conference). Note Cahill right before he says "to be quite honest", that's the key sentence.

Yes nadal's played through pain before but from his comments the pain is at a point now where he can no longer zone it out. Is that psychological? I wouldn't call it that. Cahill has no way of knowing whether the knee pain is the same this year or not. From nadal's comments I would say that it's not. I agree with you that that claim must be underlying cahill's thinking, but imo a good analyst would not make that claim especially given nadal's comments and then draw the conclusion that it's mostly psychological based on that claim. He's got a theory, he thinks it's interesting and he knows it will be controversial and he kind of threw it out there, that's it really.

bolo
06-20-2009, 11:51 AM
You're right, how dare he express his opinion when asked the question "What's your reaction to him pulling out"? Sheer audacity, that is.

yes, I hope he is happy entering sports talking heads territory, he will probably make more money! Good job Cahill. :)

BreakPoint
If someone is 25 stone they are fat but you don't go up to them and call them fat.
Um...what does a style of play have anything to do with being fat or not?

If an interviewer asked you if you think Sampras plays serve and volley tennis, would you lie and say "No"? :oops:

NamRanger
I listened to the whole thing several times ChanceEncounter. Cahill's claim is that it's MORE mental than physical. I disagree with Cahill's claim. We are diagreeing about the porportions here not whether there is just one or the other. What cahill does in the beginning is that he talks some about the physical problems but the first chance he gets he switches to his it's mostly psychological theory (which he "gathered" from the press conference). Note Cahill's right before he says "to be quite honest", that's the key sentence.

Yes nadal's played through pain before but from his comments the pain is at a point now where he can no longer zone it out. Is that psychological? I wouldn't call it that. Cahill has no way of knowing whether the knee pain is the same this year or not. From nadal's comments I would say that it's not. I agree with you that that claim must be underlying cahill's thinking, but imo a good analyst would not make that claim especially given nadal's comments and then draw the conclusion that it's mostly psychological based on that claim. He's got a theory, he thinks it's interesting and he knows it will be controversial and he kind of threw it out there, that's it really.

If the problem is tendonitis than the problem is more psychological than physical. If it is a more serious problem, such as a tear or such, then it is more physical. However, I bet you anything it's a combination of the psychological impacts ontop of the physical impacts that caused Nadal to draw.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Darren Cahill is more than qualified to make comments / guesses about Nadal's conditions than anyone else here. I mean, he only coached 2 players to the world #1 ranking. And he was a professional tennis player himself, who also suffered from tendonitis problems in the knee. So, to say he is an airhead and doesn't know what he's talking about, is abit outrageous.

truthorbust
06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Basically the guy is right .

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Basically the guy is right .
Actually he isn't. Nadal never skips a tournament unless he is physically not right.

truthorbust
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Cahill doesnt say he is fit...

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Um...what does a style of play have anything to do with being fat or not?

If an interviewer asked you if you think Sampras plays serve and volley tennis, would you lie and say "No"? :oops:

That isn't offensive though is it? Have you ever heard of the pharse if you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything?

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Actually he isn't. Nadal never skips a tournament unless he is physically not right.

I'm pretty sure Cahill has infinitely more knowledge about tennis than you do.

bolo
06-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Plus, I'm pretty sure Darren Cahill is more than qualified to make comments / guesses about Nadal's conditions than anyone else here. I mean, he only coached 2 players to the world #1 ranking. And he was a professional tennis player himself, who also suffered from tendonitis problems in the knee. So, to say he is an airhead and doesn't know what he's talking about, is abit outrageous.

Yes from the interview we know he used his "gathering" sense at the press conference. That's what he is primarily basing his conclusion on. :) He is clearly guessing.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 12:38 PM
That isn't offensive though is it? Have you ever heard of the pharse if you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything?
Not any more than being called a one-dimensional player. Both are just styles of play. Neither are offensive. They are just facts. Even Uncle Toni knows to call a spade a spade.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Not any more than being called a one-dimensional player. Both are just styles of play. Neither are offensive. They are just facts. Even Uncle Toni knows to call a spade a spade.

That one dimensional player has beaten Federer at 3 of the 4 slams.

bruce38
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I actually think Cahill has a point and he's probably right. Sure there is some physical aspect, but it seems mostly mental.

Polaris
06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Dude (or dudette), you react mindlessly as if "one-dimensional tennis player" automatically means a bad tennis player. It doesn't. Breakpoint was just trying to explain this simple fact to you, without making any value judgement on how good that one dimension is.

Pipe down. Hate less. Play more tennis. :)

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 01:48 PM

u need this

http://i40.tinypic.com/2l2red.jpg

Claudius
06-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Nothing wrong with being one-dimensional.

malakas
06-20-2009, 01:55 PM
R.Federer quit posting this in every thread you visit!:roll:

sureshs
06-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Dude (or dudette), you react mindlessly as if "one-dimensional tennis player" automatically means a bad tennis player. It doesn't. Breakpoint was just trying to explain this simple fact to you, without making any value judgement on how good that one dimension is.

Yeah it is true BP is very objective on this issue

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 01:59 PM
R.Federer quit posting this in every thread you visit!:roll:

after 18 months of nadal lovers mocking fed i think its time for nadals turn

malakas
06-20-2009, 02:00 PM
after 18 months of nadal lovers mocking fed i think its time for nadals turn

no.After 18 monts of trolling,it's time to stop trolling.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I actually think Cahill has a point and he's probably right. Sure there is some physical aspect, but it seems mostly mental.
Having fun trolling?

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 02:28 PM
no.After 18 monts of trolling,it's time to stop trolling.

check last 18months and see if i was i dnt think so

prosealster
06-20-2009, 03:51 PM
check last 18months and see if i was i dnt think so

i think malakas meant 18months of trolling on the board from other posters...

btw....i like how u post the pic to shut some people up :)

vtmike
06-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Having fun trolling?

This one is for you,

Federer winning is an everyday thing but Nadal losing is always exciting. :D
Nadal winning is an everyday thing but Fed losing is always exciting. :D

Winners or Errors
06-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, I took the time to listen to the Darren Cahill interview. He didn't come across that bitter to me. Just telling it like he sees it. What he said was in line with Nadal's own comments regarding having his knees in the back of his mind all the time on the court at the moment. He was also pretty complimentary about Nadal being one of the few players in history who may be able to overcome such an injury. Is it mostly mental? Not sure, but Nadal himself indicated that it was significantly mental. As someone who wants to see Nadal for many years to come, I hope he gets the physical healing done and it makes the mental issue disappear.

bruce38
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Having fun trolling?

Why do you call that trolling? I'm not trying to incite, just stating my opinion. Do you even know what trolling is?

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
This one is for you,

Federer winning is an everyday thing but Nadal losing is always exciting. :D
Har Har. Bet that felt good to say huh? :D

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Why do you call that trolling? I'm not trying to incite, just stating my opinion. Do you even know what trolling is?
Saying Nadal decided to drop out of Wimbledon because of something mentally bothering him is ridiculous. He would not let something that small take him out of the biggest tournament of the year. I don't believe you actually believe what you are typing. Therefore, you are just trying to be an irritant to Nadal fans. That to me is a form of trolling.

vtmike
06-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Har Har. Bet that felt good to say huh? :D

Oh Yeah!! :mrgreen:

bruce38
06-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Saying Nadal decided to drop out of Wimbledon because of something mentally bothering him is ridiculous. He would not let something that small take him out of the biggest tournament of the year. I do believe you actually believe what you are typing. Therefore, you are just trying to be an irritant to Nadal fans. That to me is a form of trolling.

How the hell would you know that about Nadal? Are you his conscience? You have no proof he would not let something mental bother him. Grow up kid. He himself indicated there was a significant mental component. This a forum of opinions, if my opinion irritates you that is your problem. It is your response to my opinions that is actually trolling.

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 04:31 PM
How the hell would you know that about Nadal? Are you his conscience? You have no proof he would not let something mental bother him. Grow up kid. He himself indicated there was a significant mental component. This a forum of opinions, if my opinion irritates you that is your problem. It is your response to my opinions that is actually trolling.
Well I'm glad 30% of the forum has some common sense. The 10 fools that voted that saying pretty much that Nadal is a liar are ridiculous. And not all opinions on this forum should be accepted. I can give you plenty of opinions that would be considered trolling. I'm sure you could do the same.

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 04:33 PM
i think malakas meant 18months of trolling on the board from other posters...

btw....i like how u post the pic to shut some people up :)

oh ok well if they want 2 troll i can lower myself to their standards it doesnt bother me lol

bruce38
06-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Saying Nadal decided to drop out of Wimbledon because of something mentally bothering him is ridiculous. He would not let something that small take him out of the biggest tournament of the year. I don't believe you actually believe what you are typing. Therefore, you are just trying to be an irritant to Nadal fans. That to me is a form of trolling.

Here's what his doctor said: "It is a tendinitis of long ago. In the last few weeks had improved, but what is clear is that he is the one who has feelings and knows if you can play at the highest level."

Tendonitis of LONG AGO. It IMPROVED in the last few weeks. He probably had it during the AO too, yet he won that. This suggests he was probably at 99% for Wimb (and NOT 100%) therefore he decided not to play. This reeks of a very significant mental component. Bottom line, Cahill was right. Please don't tell me you are dumb enough not to see this.

bruce38
06-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Well I'm glad 30% of the forum has some common sense. The 10 fools that voted that saying pretty much that Nadal is a liar are ridiculous. And not all opinions on this forum should be accepted. I can give you plenty of opinions that would be considered trolling. I'm sure you could do the same.

Perhaps YOUR opinion that "not all opinions should be accepted", should not be accepted.

Bud
06-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Here's what his doctor said: "It is a tendinitis of long ago. In the last few weeks had improved, but what is clear is that he is the one who has feelings and knows if you can play at the highest level."

Tendonitis of LONG AGO. It IMPROVED in the last few weeks. He probably had it during the AO too, yet he won that. This suggests he was probably at 99% for Wimb (and NOT 100%) therefore he decided not to play. This reeks of a very significant mental component. Bottom line, Cahill was right. Please don't tell me you are dumb enough not to see this.

Get outta here... IMO, if Nadal felt he was 99% he'd be focusing less on his knees and would have defended his title. He's stated on numerous occasions that Wimbledon means more to him than any other tournament. I doubt he took withdrawing, lightly.

He was probably feeling closer to 75-85% and didn't want to risk seriously and perhaps permanently damaging his knees. He stated his mind/focus is on his knees, these days and not his game where it should be.

Winners or Errors
06-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Bud. Right on. He said his mind is on his knees on the court. That is a "mental" component. Nadal Freak, read what he actually said, please.

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 04:53 PM
He's not going to Wimby to play at 50-60 percent of his health in place.

This is the sort of stuff that makes Nadal fans seem a bit out there. You are insulting all the ATP players by saying this. You realize that, right? Are you saying that he played Hewitt and Wawrinka at 50-60% and thus the results?

The Wawrinka exo match was especially tight in the final score. You are saying that Nadal can be competitive with Wawrinka at 50-60% on grass? You must be in some sort of disillusion state of fan-mind.

vtmike
06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
This is the sort of stuff that makes Nadal fans seem a bit out there. You are insulting all the ATP players by saying this. You realize that, right? Are you saying that he played Hewitt and Wawrinka at 50-60% and thus the results?

The Wawrinka exo match was especially tight in the final score. You are saying that Nadal can be competitive with Wawrinka at 50-60% on grass? You must be in some sort of disillusion state of fan-mind.

Don't you know one of the rules of this forum is that...Nadal can never lose a match when he is "100%"

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 05:01 PM

There is nothing wrong for having a on-dimensional game. It has won him so many titles and matches. One could say that Fed's multidimensional game impedes him from winning consistently against Rafa on clay, especially. If you have so many options, it gets difficult what sort of shot selection to decide. It's not necessarily negative. You make it seem negative. Rafa is rather one-dimensional and that's what makes Rafa the player he is. Makes also sense since Rafa and Fed have such contrasting styles.

Bud
06-20-2009, 05:20 PM

The bottom line is his mind is on his knees at present... not on his game where it should be.

Bud
06-20-2009, 05:21 PM
There is nothing wrong for having a on-dimensional game. It has won him so many titles and matches. One could say that Fed's multidimensional game impedes him from winning consistently against Rafa on clay, especially. If you have so many options, it gets difficult what sort of shot selection to decide. It's not necessarily negative. You make it seem negative. Rafa is rather one-dimensional and that's what makes Rafa the player he is. Makes also sense since Rafa and Fed have such contrasting styles.

Please get off the one-dimensional game BS. When you spew nonsense your credibility takes a knock.

BreakPoint
06-20-2009, 05:21 PM
You see. Federer was complementing Nadal by calling him a one-dimensional player. One-dimensional players kick butt, just like serve and volleyers do.
So why are you ragging on Federer for complementing Nadal? :confused:

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Bud. Right on. He said his mind is on his knees on the court. That is a "mental" component. Nadal Freak, read what he actually said, please.
Everything is in some way a mental component. What's ridiculous is saying that French Open defeat is responsible for Nadal withdrawing from Wimbledon.

Winners or Errors
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Don't you know one of the rules of this forum is that...Nadal can never lose a match when he is "100%"

Well, Federer doesn't lose to Wawrinka when he's 100% either. I don't think he was 100% when he lost to Wawrinka earlier this year...

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Everything is in some way a mental component. What's ridiculous is saying that French Open defeat is responsible for Nadal withdrawing from Wimbledon.

Yes, I'm sure if Nadal won the FO and he still had tendonitis he wouldn't compete at Wimbledon am I correct? That's got to be it.

Do remember, Nadal has never experienced such a devastating loss in his entire career. The surfaces he had lost on are expected losses for him, meaning no surprise; hardcourts (especially fast ones) and grass (to Federer only).

You're saying that a FO loss, to one of his most bitter and hated enemies on the tour isn't going to affect him at all? Especially since this was the same guy he totally DESTROYED a few weeks earlier? I think you need to get your head checked their dude.

Remember, Nadal has played with tendonitis before. I am 100% sure he had tendonitis in the final against Federer at Wimbledon in 2007, and he took him to 5 there, with many chances to break Federer's serve in the 5th. That is no small feat at all; especially when you are injured. The way Nadal fans put it, you make him out to be a freaking pansy. Geez. Nadal is the ULTIMATE warrior, and would play through any kind of physical pain, as long as it did not jeopardize his career. What has happened now though, is that the combination of both a devastating loss and some physical pain has really shattered his confidence.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, Federer doesn't lose to Wawrinka when he's 100% either. I don't think he was 100% when he lost to Wawrinka earlier this year...

Federer was 100% physically fit, he just wasn't 100% mentally there.

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Please get off the one-dimensional game BS. When you spew nonsense your credibility takes a knock.

Well, if you do not accept the one-dimensionality aspect of Nadal's game then your credibility goes down the drain. You are not accepting what makes Nadal the player he is now.

You're actually the one who is spewing nonsense unfortunately by denying it as if it was some sort Swine Flu. It is not.

But since we are at it, what makes him multidimensional in your opinion compared to say, Federer?

T. H. Park
06-20-2009, 07:35 PM
The bottom line is his mind is on his knees at present... not on his game where it should be.

His mind is shot as in: his confidence is shot. He has had knee problems for years. The bottom line is he is exhausted/damaged mentally and physically and he needs to recover.

bolo
06-20-2009, 07:39 PM
His mind is shot as in: his confidence is shot. He has had knee problems for years. The bottom line is he is exhausted/damaged mentally and physically and he needs to recover.

where is the evidence that he is exhausted/damaged mentally?

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Where's the evidence that he is damaged physically?

rommil
06-20-2009, 07:41 PM

If Nadal had won the French he would be playing Wimbledon, that's for sure.

bolo
06-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Where's the evidence that he is damaged physically?

he said so himself. I am happy to believe him.

rommil
06-20-2009, 07:44 PM

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-05-31/200905311243796048503.html

bolo
06-20-2009, 07:47 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-05-31/200905311243796048503.html

he obviously tried and failed. Has now decided that he can no longer manage it and not worth playing. So? why does that lead you to believe that he is mentally exhausted?

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM

He said he also wasn't mentally fit to go either.

rommil
06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
he obviously tried and failed. Has now decided that he can no longer manage it and not worth playing. So? why does that lead you to believe that he is mentally exhausted?

On top of mentally dealing with his FO loss, he is mentally exhausted thinking of the fact that he will not be able to defend his crown at Wimbledon. Plain and simple, Nadal has been having a hard time being the one that everybody chases.

tennisdad65
06-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Has nadal taken any tests or MRI's etc on his knee?
Do the doc's know exactly what the cause is?

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 08:05 PM

It's tendonitis; the doctor says it has improved since the FO, and that it is something that is a recurring problem that has occured throughout his career. I highly doubt if he had tendonitis and WON the FO he would skip Wimbledon. However, because he lost the FO, he has tendonitis, and he lost it to Soderling of all people (it would have been less demoralizing if it was Federer), Nadal is withdrawing most likely due to his injury, multiplied by his mental woes.

rommil
06-20-2009, 08:06 PM

They didn't need to since they saw a fork sticking out of his knee....

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes, I'm sure if Nadal won the FO and he still had tendonitis he wouldn't compete at Wimbledon am I correct? That's got to be it.

Do remember, Nadal has never experienced such a devastating loss in his entire career. The surfaces he had lost on are expected losses for him, meaning no surprise; hardcourts (especially fast ones) and grass (to Federer only).

You're saying that a FO loss, to one of his most bitter and hated enemies on the tour isn't going to affect him at all? Especially since this was the same guy he totally DESTROYED a few weeks earlier? I think you need to get your head checked their dude.

Remember, Nadal has played with tendonitis before. I am 100% sure he had tendonitis in the final against Federer at Wimbledon in 2007, and he took him to 5 there, with many chances to break Federer's serve in the 5th. That is no small feat at all; especially when you are injured. The way Nadal fans put it, you make him out to be a freaking pansy. Geez. Nadal is the ULTIMATE warrior, and would play through any kind of physical pain, as long as it did not jeopardize his career. What has happened now though, is that the combination of both a devastating loss and some physical pain has really shattered his confidence.
If Nadal's tendinitis hit him hard, he had no chance to win RG. Soderling and many other players could beat Nadal in RG 2009 due to this. And Nadal mentioned he was in the most pain in the 3rd set against Soderling. That was after he won a set on him. Anyone that knows Nadal would know that something was wrong with him. He had all the momentum after clutching the second set. Something was holding him back physically. Even McEnroe said it. "He didn't physically have it today." This is it normal as Nadal usually always has it. But Soderling made Nadal run a ton and brought out the tendinitis that he was suffering with since the semis of Madrid. But it kept getting worse unless he took an extended vacation. Finally he does it. I'm happy he did not make excuses for his losses in the process but the pain was obvious. What could've been if Nadal didn't have this tendinitis.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 08:17 PM
If Nadal's tendinitis hit him hard, he had no chance to win RG. Soderling and many other players could beat Nadal in RG 2009 due to this. And Nadal mentioned he was in the most pain in the 3rd set against Soderling. That was after he won a set on him. Anyone that knows Nadal would know that something was wrong with him. He had all the momentum after clutching the second set. Something was holding him back physically. Even McEnroe said it. "He didn't physically have it today." This is it normal as Nadal usually always has it. But Soderling made Nadal run a ton and brought out the tendinitis that he was suffering with since the semis of Madrid. But it kept getting worse unless he took an extended vacation. Finally he does it. I'm happy he did not make excuses for his losses in the process but the pain was obvious. What could've been if Nadal didn't have this tendinitis.

I personally think Nadal just got beat by Soderling, and played bad. He said it himself; he didn't play well, and dropped balls too short. It's very atypical of Nadal to do such a thing, especially early in a tournament when he is trying to get into the groove. He simply didn't wake up early enough in time.

However, to say that he is not capable of playing through tendonitis is hilarious. This is a guy who took Federer to 5 sets on grass with literally no days of rest for nearly a week at Wimbledon, clocking in ridiculous amounts of time, and had tendonitis ONTOP of all of that.

Plain and simple, if you think Nadal can't play through a little bit of an inflammatory reaction, all I have to say to you is... "You're an idiot."

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I personally think Nadal just got beat by Soderling, and played bad. He said it himself; he didn't play well, and dropped balls too short. It's very atypical of Nadal to do such a thing, especially early in a tournament when he is trying to get into the groove. He simply didn't wake up early enough in time.

However, to say that he is not capable of playing through tendonitis is hilarious. This is a guy who took Federer to 5 sets on grass with literally no days of rest for nearly a week at Wimbledon, clocking in ridiculous amounts of time, and had tendonitis ONTOP of all of that.

Plain and simple, if you think Nadal can't play through a little bit of an inflammatory reaction, all I have to say to you is... "You're an idiot."
Tendinitis flares up at unexpectant times. Luckily it didn't flare up for Nadal until the 4th set that match. Or should I say unluckily. Djokovic retiring early the day before gave Nadal hope that he had enough in the tank and the knees to beat Fed. Not quite there unfortunately.

abmk
06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Tendinitis flares up at unexpectant times. Luckily it didn't flare up for Nadal until the 4th set that match. Or should I say unluckily. Djokovic retiring early the day before gave Nadal hope that he had enough in the tank and the knees to beat Fed. Not quite there unfortunately.

Soderling beat the hell out of a fit nadal ( who just played badly ) and federer out-toughed nadal in the 5th set ( who btw was running around like a rabbit even after the time-out ) ..... Deal with it .

Stop making nadal look like some sort of a wuss >> You were doing the same thing when nadal was getting whipped all over by nalby in indian wells , saying he must be tired/exhausted when there were no signs of anything like that

OTMPut
06-20-2009, 09:23 PM

the doc is spanish and is most likely one of his uncles. he is going to say what uncle toni says. they are working out a dignified exit strategy for nadal.

T. H. Park
06-21-2009, 06:48 AM

That's what the professionals are saying, like Cahill. I trust what he say, but also because it makes sense to me. I don't really care what Fed said about his loss at RG 08 and Wimbledon 08. I think he said that he was affected for only an hour at the Wimbledon after the match. Well, we saw how much it affected him when he played Rafa the AO finals. That's in part due to his mental side which in turn is a result of him losing last year to Rafa.

So, same logic applies in the case of Rafa. Evidence? You can NEVER get any true evidence regarding the mental state of anyone unless you get a report from the shrink. It's not going to happen and even if you do get a report from the shrink that's going to be ambiguous at best. Current science as far as the mind is concerned, is at its very infant stages.

navratilovafan
06-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Nadal_Freak taking the opportunity to make excuses for all of Rafa's past losses now. Yawn, what a shock. The funny thing is the Nadal fanatics (and I like Nadal quite a bit but am happily not a fanatic) are the same ones who dismiss talk of Nadal's playing style leading to injuries which will impact his career and shorten it as hating and anti-Nadal trolling, but then make excuses for losses and say he would have won this or that without his knees or some other injury. Make up your mind, you cant have your cake and eat it too, unless you are a current WTA player.

bruce38
06-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Evidence:
Aside from the physical issues, Nadal spoke Friday about the mental toll the injury has taken. This is, after all, a player whose rise to the upper echelon of tennis was built in part on his ability to race around a court and track down shots.
"One of the big problems is, when I am playing, I'm thinking more about the knees than about the game. So that's very difficult to play well like this, no?" the six-time major champion said.

bolo
06-21-2009, 09:22 AM
That's what the professionals are saying, like Cahill. I trust what he say, but also because it makes sense to me. I don't really care what Fed said about his loss at RG 08 and Wimbledon 08. I think he said that he was affected for only an hour at the Wimbledon after the match. Well, we saw how much it affected him when he played Rafa the AO finals. That's in part due to his mental side which in turn is a result of him losing last year to Rafa.

So, same logic applies in the case of Rafa. Evidence? You can NEVER get any true evidence regarding the mental state of anyone unless you get a report from the shrink. It's not going to happen and even if you do get a report from the shrink that's going to be ambiguous at best. Current science as far as the mind is concerned, is at its very infant stages.

You can get evidence but it usually requires the athlete to admit what's happening. Or it requires something tagential but that would have to be quite strong. Cahill's comments are basically at the level of a gossip rumour columnist. He used his "gathering" sense at the conference to come up with his conclusion that it's mostly psycholoical.

I see now that the Cahill clip is getting more play on the ESPN site. Figures, his stock will definitely go up after this comment, at least in some circles.

bolo
06-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Nadal_Freak taking the opportunity to make excuses for all of Rafa's past losses now. Yawn, what a shock. The funny thing is the Nadal fanatics (and I like Nadal quite a bit but am happily not a fanatic) are the same ones who dismiss talk of Nadal's playing style leading to injuries which will impact his career and shorten it as hating and anti-Nadal trolling, but then make excuses for losses and say he would have won this or that without his knees or some other injury. Make up your mind, you cant have your cake and eat it too, unless you are a current WTA player.

No the funny the thing is that the fans who think nadal is making all the injuries up are likely the same ones who predicted retirements for nadal at 21, 22, 23 etc. :)

bolo
06-21-2009, 09:40 AM
he is mentally exhausted thinking of the fact that he will not be able to defend his crown at Wimbledon

Stick to your jokes, you are better at those. :)

zagor
06-21-2009, 09:42 AM
No the funny the thing is that the fans who think nadal is making all the injuries up are likely the same ones who predicted retirements for nadal at 21, 22, 23 etc. :)

Hm,have to admit that was a pretty good comeback :)

Although Navratilovafan's point still stands.

bolo
06-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Hm,have to admit that was a pretty good comeback :)

Although Navratilovafan's point still stands.

yeah there is some truth to navratilovafan's point ofcourse.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 09:47 AM

That's a great post. How many times have pros felt bad, only to wake another day and feel much better? I think Nadal was waiting until the last minute to see if he could play by playing the exhibitions, those were his last ditch efforts. He saw he couldn't compete at a reasonable level, so he withdrew.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 09:54 AM
It's like when Federer was beaten by Karlovic. Cahill claimed he was "stunned". "Karlovic played his best match ever". Apparently, Roddick paid Cahill to forget Federer's stupidity.

He told Roddick to quit playing till the year after and hope to serve 100 aces to win a match. "Have something resembling a net game."
His sweeties Federer, Agassi and Hewitt loved themselves so much, only die-hard delusional fans care for them. No one's smarter and full of charm than them.

Great post!

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Cahill's words are as despicable as Fed's: yes yes everything is in the head, Rafa's knee doesn't hurt, there's no pain, no edema, no tendinitis, Rafa is physically fine, the doctors are delirious, all the problems and treatments on his knees for years have been pure fabrication, the machines he brought to W for therapy were for show only, it's psychological and that's it.

I think so too. Cahill is out of order. A commentator's job is to report on the sport, in this case, tennis. It's not to laud your favorite players and cast doubt on their rivals. There is no way on earth Cahill could know with any certainty whether Nadal's issues are physical or physcological. It's not possible therefore everything he's said is a joke, and there's no honesty in his comments.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Great post. I remember that. I don't know where people get the notion that Pete was so arrogant. I was a huge Sampras fan and read tons of ink on him. There is nothing to support that claim.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Absolutely!

tahiti
06-21-2009, 10:09 AM
For those believing Nadal's withdrawal is due to "mental" issues and not the physical which causes him to concentrate more on the pain than the game, ) clearly don't understand English.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Cahill can say whatever he wants, that's not the issue here. The issue here is that he used to say things which were verifiable one way or the other or things for which there was good to very good evidence.

Maybe I shouldn't be that surprised, I used to think gilbert was better on the air in his first couple of years. It's possible that what happens to these guys is that they realize they get more play for saying controversial (note the phrase "to be quite honest") "interesting" things, so they slowly make the switch. Or maybe hanging around with other lame *** analysts slowly turns you into a lame *** analyst. Whatever the case this interview is not a good sign imo.

Overall, I am not ready to say cahill has jumped the shark, but this could be an indication that he is ready to make the switch to being just another talking head on TV.

Great post! To give an opinion that severe which will backlash, and you yourself cannot verify it is insane. You can't say you've spoken to Nadal in this regard, you are simply posturing? You've lost all credibility for me.

Darren didn't start out this way, but if he "follows" the other lames he'll get more career opportunities. That's what's happening.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty sure Cahill has infinitely more knowledge about tennis than you do.

He may have more tennis knowledge, but on the issue he spoke about, he has no more knowledge than we do. He doesn't know Nadal's psychological state, so for him to speak on it is irresponsible.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Evidence:
Aside from the physical issues, Nadal spoke Friday about the mental toll the injury has taken. This is, after all, a player whose rise to the upper echelon of tennis was built in part on his ability to race around a court and track down shots.
"One of the big problems is, when I am playing, I'm thinking more about the knees than about the game. So that's very difficult to play well like this, no?" the six-time major champion said.

Mental toll the injuries has taken.-So if you're in the midst of an injury before or during a tournament, you have psychological issues as a result of realizing your body may not be able to stand the grind of a two week tournament?

Thinking? OK, so he shouldn't think because it leads to psychological problems? Hmm. Can't imagine anyone who wouldn't worry whether or not to risk it.

TheTruth
06-21-2009, 10:28 AM
You can get evidence but it usually requires the athlete to admit what's happening. Or it requires something tagential but that would have to be quite strong. Cahill's comments are basically at the level of a gossip rumour columnist. He used his "gathering" sense at the conference to come up with his conclusion that it's mostly psycholoical.

I see now that the Cahill clip is getting more play on the ESPN site. Figures, his stock will definitely go up after this comment, at least in some circles.

Bingo! Didn't he just get a new important assignment as well? With the USTA I think. I'll look it up later.

When he first started out he wasn't doing very much. The more controversial, the more opportunities he's been getting. Expect a newer, better opportunity to rise within the next few months. I do!

thejoe
06-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Great post! To give an opinion that severe which will backlash, and you yourself cannot verify it is insane. You can't say you've spoken to Nadal in this regard, you are simply posturing? You've lost all credibility for me.

Darren didn't start out this way, but if he "follows" the other lames he'll get more career opportunities. That's what's happening.

He coaches Verdasco who is a great friend of Nadal.

NamRanger
06-21-2009, 10:40 AM
He may have more tennis knowledge, but on the issue he spoke about, he has no more knowledge than we do. He doesn't know Nadal's psychological state, so for him to speak on it is irresponsible.

Oh please, Cahill has some knowledge of psychological states of players. He only coached 2 players to the world #1 rank. If you actually read, you would know that Cahill does not dismiss the physical injuries of Nadal, but he believes that they are not worse than in years past (such as in 2007 when Nadal had plenty of knee/shoulder problems).

He said that Nadal's psyche is playing a bigger part in the withdrawal more then anything. He STILL acknowledges there is a physical aspect though.

doublebreak
06-21-2009, 10:45 AM

I think so too. Cahill is out of order. A commentator's job is to report on the sport, in this case, tennis. It's not to laud your favorite players and cast doubt on their rivals. There is no way on earth Cahill could know with any certainty whether Nadal's issues are physical or physcological. It's not possible therefore everything he's said is a joke, and there's no honesty in his comments.

For those believing Nadal's withdrawal is due to "mental" issues and not the physical which causes him to concentrate more on the pain than the game, ) clearly don't understand English.

Did you actually watch the clip? He didn't say Nadal's withdrawal was due solely to his mental state. He did say he thought it was more mental than physical and that of course is just speculation and it could be wrong, it means he thinks it could be something in between 51% mental/49% physical to 99% mental/ 1% physical. Your posts imply he said it was 100% mental/0% physical which is completely inaccurate. Nobody can quantify the exact distribution, no doctor, not a psychologist, not even Nadal himself.

Cahill then went on to talk about the physical elements of Nadal's style of play, his schedule, on how the transition of clay to grass and hard courts can affect a player knees over time, on how tendinitis does not go away. All these issues have been previously discussed at length before. He just brought up the mental element that has not been discussed too much and while I and many people may disagree with it having a greater effect than its physical side, I think is a very important side. Nadal himself said at the press conference that while on court he was constantly thinking about his knee and worrying about making things worse. I think that is exactly what Cahill was talking about and I definitely think is a real important issue that is worth discussing. You don't need to be his doctor or have inside information to know and have an opinion about the mental side of tennis (even more so dealing with an injury) which is crucial to the player's chances for success. I appreciate his opinion even though I don't have to agree 100% with it.

bolo
06-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Did you actually watch the clip? He didn't say Nadal's withdrawal was due solely to his mental state. He did say he thought it was more mental than physical and that of course is just speculation and it could be wrong, it means he thinks it could be something in between 51% mental/49% physical to 99% mental/ 1% physical. Your posts imply he said it was 100% mental/0% physical which is completely inaccurate. Nobody can quantify the exact distribution, no doctor, not a psychologist, not even Nadal himself.

Cahill then went on to talk about the physical elements of Nadal's style of play, his schedule, on how the transition of clay to grass and hard courts can affect a player knees over time, on how tendinitis does not go away. All these issues have been previously discussed at length before. He just brought up the mental element that has not been discussed too much and while I and many people may disagree with it having a greater effect than its physical side, I think is a very important side. Nadal himself said at the press conference that while on court he was constantly thinking about his knee and worrying about making things worse. I think that is exactly what Cahill was talking about and I definitely think is a real important issue that is worth discussing. You don't need to be his doctor or have inside information to know and have an opinion about the mental side of tennis (even more so dealing with an injury) which is crucial to the player's chances for success. I appreciate his opinion even though I don't have to agree 100% with it.

"It's quite a lot psychological and no so much physical, to be quite honest".

That's his primary conclusion. No one is saying he didn't say anything about the phsyical side. This doesn't sound 51% mental, 49% physical.

doublebreak
06-21-2009, 11:11 AM
"It's quite a lot psychological and no so much physical, to be quite honest".

That's his primary conclusion. No one is saying he didn't say anything about the phsyical side. This doesn't sound 51% mental, 49% physical.

Not so much is not equal to zero, not so much is actually something. Some people (maybe not you) seem to imply his view is 100% mental/0 % physical. I just pointed out a range where his opinion fits. I'm not sure what number Cahill meant, I would like to ask him.

Mercedes
06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
The signs were all there that he was having serious problems prior to the FO when Nadal lost to a Q at a pre FO exhibition..
I just hope he does not drop too far down in the rankings he has a lot of points he will lose -July and especially August especially if he skips the USO as well.The last thing he needs is to play the top players before the semi's in future matches.
The good news is next year he will not have any or few points to defend at many of the important tournaments. So a healthy Rafa can make up a lot of ground in 2010 if he plays in top form.
I must admit he must be hurting on all levels, he is coping with a lot. To lose the #1 position when he worked so hard for it and also worrying about his future physically must be a huge concern. I for one will miss he presence at Wimbledon and wish him a fast recovery.

Nadal_Freak
06-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh please, Cahill has some knowledge of psychological states of players. He only coached 2 players to the world #1 rank. If you actually read, you would know that Cahill does not dismiss the physical injuries of Nadal, but he believes that they are not worse than in years past (such as in 2007 when Nadal had plenty of knee/shoulder problems).

He said that Nadal's psyche is playing a bigger part in the withdrawal more then anything. He STILL acknowledges there is a physical aspect though.
And he is wrong. Analyst are wrong all the time but he is biased against Nadal. Many Nadal fans can tell you that he is a not a supporter of Nadal. He is not being fair.

T. H. Park
06-21-2009, 01:12 PM

I don't quite agree. The person in question may not even want to admit something is psychologically not completely right. It's not that difficult to imagine such a scenario. If that's what it takes to get over a slump so be it.

What I found interesting is that Fed said in one of his recent interviews that it only took about an hour after the Wimbledon 08 finals to get over the fact that he lost on his beloved surface. I don't believe that's the case at all. He may have forced himself to believe it to get the better of that enormous loss, which he did, but what he said does not make sense to me either.

What he needed to do very badly is win the USO 08. He did. And that's what makes him so great. If Nadal can redeem himself at USO 09 (a tall order at best), then things will look positive for him not only the rest of this year but also next year. If not, I cannot see him coming back to the top of his game - winning AO, or perhaps even RG, (although I am sure he will be the favorite still, come 2010) let alone the other slams. If he wins USO 09, he will again get to the top of his game as will his confidence. If not, ...

jamesblakefan#1
06-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Cahill today talked about how he had knee tendinitis during his career. He said that he used to have to ice his knees twice a day due to patella tendinitis, and it affected him for 3 years before he had to have surgery and end his career. And that it did affect him MENTALLY and wore him down not knowing how his knees would be on a daily basis.

So I guess some saying he only said this for attention may have been a bit wrong, as he himself had a career ended by knee tendinitis.

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
And he is wrong. Analyst are wrong all the time but he is biased against Nadal. Many Nadal fans can tell you that he is a not a supporter of Nadal. He is not being fair.

And he is wrong? LOL. Coming from an armchair critic on TW. Man you crack me up, you really do.

I absolutely LOVE the double standards set by all Nadal fans on this board. All you armchair critics are allowed to criticize Federer's behavior, analyze his interviews, and make evaluations about his psyche. However, a professional tennis coach with years of success and inside information isn't allowed to say anything about Nadal's psyche? I LOVE IT.

jamesblakefan#1
06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Just looking back at some of the posts on here, people look like complete jerks for ripping Cahill when he was talking from the experience of his own knee tendinitis which led to the end of his career. Nice job guys.

bolo
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
well cahill spoke some on the djokovic broadcast about what seems like is his rationale for saying he thinks nadal's decision is more psychological than physical.

Basically it looks like chronic tendonitis ended Cahill's playing career. He talked about how he was ranked near 25(?) in the world but the mental grind from having to undergo the preparations (icing/anti-inflammatories) every day to keep playing at that level bascially wore him out; Cahill said in the end that he tapped out. He and fowler were speaking pretty quickly so what I wrote here might not be totally correct but I would say it's more or less right.

Looks like the nadal press conference brought back some serious flashbacks for Cahill. So basically Cahill is using his OWN PERSONAL experience to draw some VERY STRONG conclusions about nadal. From this broadcast there is still no indication that he has any real inside information about nadal and he is basically guessing from his impressions from the Nadal press conference (he mentioned the press conference again) and his own personal experiece. So still very poor analysis and guessing wildly but at least it comes from a good place.

bolo
06-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Just looking back at some of the posts on here, people look like complete jerks for ripping Cahill when he was talking from the experience of his own knee tendinitis which led to the end of his career. Nice job guys.

This just explains his thought process. But what most of us are saying is still correct, it's basically poor analysis: A strong conclusion about nadal based on very little-in this case his own very difficult experience with chronic tendonitis.

NamRanger
06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
This just explains his thought process. But what most of us are saying is still correct, it's basically poor analysis: A strong conclusion about nadal based on very little-in this case his own very difficult experience with chronic tendonitis.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you have so much more knowledge about Nadal's chronic tendonitis than Cahill. I mean, this is just as bad as N_F and his crazy surface theories.

bruce38
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
well cahill spoke some on the djokovic broadcast about what seems like is his rationale for saying he thinks nadal's decision is more psychological than physical.

Basically it looks like chronic tendonitis ended Cahill's playing career. He talked about how he was ranked near 25(?) in the world but the mental grind from having to undergo the preparations (icing/anti-inflammatories) every day to keep playing at that level bascially wore him out; Cahill said in the end that he tapped out. He and fowler were speaking pretty quickly so what I wrote here might not be totally correct but I would say it's more or less right.

Looks like the nadal press conference brought back some serious flashbacks for Cahill. So basically Cahill is using his OWN PERSONAL experience to draw some VERY STRONG conclusions about nadal. From this broadcast there is still no indication that he has any real inside information about nadal and he is basically guessing from his impressions from the Nadal press conference (he mentioned the press conference again) and his own personal experiece. So still very poor analysis and guessing wildly but at least it comes from a good place.

But it seems Cahill's experience matches pretty well what Nadal said here:

So I don't get where you think Cahill's analysis is way off. It's a match and he knows what he's talking about.

bolo
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh yeah, I'm sure you have so much more knowledge about Nadal's chronic tendonitis than Cahill. I mean, this is just as bad as N_F and his crazy surface theories.

Did I say i have more information? The question is what information cahill has? so far he hasn't told us anything interesting on this front.

malakas
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Cahill has undergone this himself,maybe the outcome wont' be the same for Nadal,and the situation is different nowadays with different conditions,advanced medicine..but I value his input.

Much more than anyone's here anyway.(except tennez)