PDA

View Full Version : guy forget

mental midget
06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
guy gets like zero airtime around here. interesting player, was the tour ace leader for a year or two before goran i think, nice overall game. i see his promo for the tennis channel about a thousand times a night.

anybody care to discuss mr forget?

jimbo333
06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
He had an unusual peanut shaped tennis racquet.

PERL
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
He was an underachiever for most of his career, a late bloomer although a junior world champion. Then he won Paris Bercy, the Davis Cup beating Sampras in the process, a top 5/10 player in his best years, very complete all court game, Id rate him on par with Tommy Haas in that regard. Magnus Gustafsson once said he would be world n1 if self belief had been there. He never did great in majors. I cant stand his dull comments as a french TV consultant although hes not worse than the other former pro Arnaud Boetsch. Hes a captain of the Davis Cup team with diverse results.

rod99
06-19-2009, 06:51 PM
pretty typical french player (i.e. leconte, gasquet, etc). very flashy with all of the shots when he is on but lacks the consistency to be a great champion.

Datacipher
06-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Nasty lefty serve. One of the best flat-as-a-pancake serves in the business. Funny hitch in motion, and funny leg action!

As pointed out here, good all-court game, but not too consistent. His footwork was not always the best, which hurt him.

galain
06-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Loved watching him play. Such an elegant ball striker. Typical lefty class (lefty players always seem to hit the ball so much more aesthetically than righty players). The only player I can recall using the Lacoste Equijet. Not sure if he had that screwy in thingy in the buttcap or not - can't recall.

Datacipher
06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Also, his very flat serve would be clocked in the 140's today. Maybe faster. It was noticably faster than the Sampras flat serve. (but not as consistent because of the lack of spin) He HAMMERED it. He nearly unseated Goran's 136mph, then record (that would be in the 150mph zone on today's radar), when he hit a 137mph in the same match. But it was a fault!

BorisBeckerFan
06-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Forget was a few key wins away from being great. Sometimes all it takes is a breaktrhough win at a slam to give you the confidence you need to go on and have a stellar tennis career vs just a great or a good one.

jimbo333
06-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Also, his very flat serve would be clocked in the 140's today. Maybe faster. It was noticably faster than the Sampras flat serve. (but not as consistent because of the lack of spin) He HAMMERED it. He nearly unseated Goran's 136mph, then record (that would be in the 150mph zone on today's radar), when he hit a 137mph in the same match. But it was a fault!

Yes he had a good serve!!!

However, I'm not being funny, but if you include "fault" serves, then I can hit it at 137mph:)

(well almost)

2ndServe
06-20-2009, 06:54 PM
almost to much of a continental grip on the forehand side, but yeah I've yet to see a frenchie who was a grinder. They seem to give away matches.

rod99
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM
his game reminds me a bit of petr korda.

ClubHoUno
06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice fluid player, often rushing to the net.
Nice OHB - and nice serve. Very classic in his moves and strokes.

Can't really see any similarities with Petr Korda to be quite frank though :lol:

35ft6
06-21-2009, 02:10 AM
almost to much of a continental grip on the forehand side, but yeah I've yet to see a frenchie who was a grinder. They seem to give away matches.Simone and Clement? For a while, they had three guys in the top 3, not sure what you mean by give away matches. But I agree, it's interesting how many stylish players come out of France. Leconte, Noah, Forget, Clement, Santoro, Gasquet, and perhaps even Tsonga, Llorda, and Mahut. They play with a lot of flair.

Datacipher
06-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Yes he had a good serve!!!

However, I'm not being funny, but if you include "fault" serves, then I can hit it at 137mph:)

(well almost)

Well that 137mph serve would likely have been in the 150's today, and most people would dearly love to be able to fault at 150...or 130! lol!

In any case, I noted it just as a trivia point, but it wasn't an abberation, in that Forget did hit, 133mph I believe, and the 137 wasn't really a "freak" serve, just the very high end of his range. The man had heat :-)

rod99
06-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Nice fluid player, often rushing to the net.
Nice OHB - and nice serve. Very classic in his moves and strokes.

Can't really see any similarities with Petr Korda to be quite frank though :lol:

other than the net rushing part (which korda did on occasion), you just described korda's game to a tee.

Datacipher
06-21-2009, 06:06 PM
other than the net rushing part (which korda did on occasion), you just described korda's game to a tee.

Um....possibly, if you wanted to describe them in a few adjectives.

In reality, they were quite different. Korda's strokes were much looser and often flatter. Forget's groundstokes were much more "muscled" in appearance. In addition, Korda's feet were much lighter and quicker. Again, Forget's biggest weakness was being slightly heavy footed. Forget's serve was a much, much bigger weapon day in and day out. Korda was a better shotmaker and in fact, had a much bolder strategy in general from the baseline, taking more risks. Though it is true, they were both lanky lefthanders with one handed backhands.

kiki
11-01-2011, 05:04 AM
guy gets like zero airtime around here. interesting player, was the tour ace leader for a year or two before goran i think, nice overall game. i see his promo for the tennis channel about a thousand times a night.

anybody care to discuss mr forget?

I agree.Big Serve, great but not too steady Fh, one of the best doubles players ( along Hlasek) for many years.He was shy and not a star like Leconte or Noah and that is why french press didnt make much noise about him.But was nice to watch, even tough his menthal strength was always under suspiction.