PDA

View Full Version : Most Pro's use the semi-western...what do you use?

The Pusher Terminator
03-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Most Pro's use the semi-western...what do you use?

Tennis_baller
03-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Western for long baseline rallies, semi for flatter shots, continental for serve and volley, two handed backhand.

aj_m2009
03-23-2005, 09:25 AM
I currently use a semi-western but am thinking of switching to an eastern as I am really considering switching to serve-and-volley instead of baseline play and I think the eastern would maybe suite the S&V game better.

Vlad
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
How do you call a grip that is kind of between semiwestern and western? 0.75 Western?

rafael
03-23-2005, 10:02 AM
I voted for eastern and semi-western, but really I use whatever grip is approriate for the shot I want to make. I wouldn't be surprised if pros do this as well.

The Pusher Terminator
03-23-2005, 10:03 AM
How do you call a grip that is kind of between semiwestern and western? 0.75 Western?

OTHER.............................................

edberg505
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I think you missed one. There is also one called a Hawaiian forehand grip. And it's even farther around than the basic western. I use the basic ole eastern forehand aka the shake hand grip. And continental for everything else. I come from the old school teaching. And it also really helps with serve and volley since that's pretty much all I do.

alan-n
03-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Forehand I assume.
Semiwestern for heavy topspun short angles. Between eastern and semi-western for baseline. Eastern for no spin hanging putaways. Continental for everything else.

Started off learning eastern. Switch to semi-western as opponents hit harder with heavier spin. Gradually moved down to hybrid eastern / SW grip. Now using various grips for various situations, just want to use the least amount of energy for the max results.

Andy Hewitt
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I think I use western for ralleys, volleys, and 1st serve; continental for backhand rallys and volleys(if i have enough time to switch) and continental for second serve. I cant tell what semi western is so i dont know if i use it...

USCfan
03-23-2005, 11:23 AM
SW forehand except when I'm just playing around.

The Pusher Terminator
03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I think you missed one. There is also one called a Hawaiian forehand grip. And it's even farther around than the basic western. I use the basic ole eastern forehand aka the shake hand grip. And continental for everything else. I come from the old school teaching. And it also really helps with serve and volley since that's pretty much all I do.

Oh the Hawaiian grip...sure....that would fall under the "other" category....seriously...what the heck is a Hawaiian grip? are you serious?

edberg505
03-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm serious as untreated syphilis. Western grip got its name from having evolved in California. What's west of California? http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm Took me a while to find this website but I knew I wasn't going crazy and that I've heard of this grip before.

ibemadskillzz
03-23-2005, 01:54 PM
most pros don't use semi-western.....

ragnaROK
03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
of the kung fu variety...=P

extreme western on forehand (or hawaiian if that exists) and semi-western to flatten it out. use the forehand side for one hand bh and continental on serves and volleys.

Andy Hewitt
03-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm serious as untreated syphilis. Western grip got its name from having evolved in California. What's west of California? http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm Took me a while to find this website but I knew I wasn't going crazy and that I've heard of this grip before.
Based on this, im semi-western forehand and contintental backhand... shocking!

35ft6
03-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Semi-western forehand. Extreme eastern backhand. Continental on flat serves and volleys. Eastern backhand for kick serves.

The Pusher Terminator
03-24-2005, 01:11 PM

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!! Do you really use this grip? Why do you think it is so effective?

erik-the-red
03-24-2005, 01:16 PM
I use a semi-western grip most of the time.

edberg505
03-24-2005, 01:27 PM
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!! Do you really use this grip? Why do you think it is so effective?

No, I don't use this grip. I use an eastern forehand and continental for everything else. I've only seen one person use this grip personally. And that was when I was in a tennis camp a while back.

35ft6
03-24-2005, 04:44 PM
^ Berasategi used one.

Mahboob Khan
03-24-2005, 05:17 PM
I think I use western for ralleys, volleys, and 1st serve; continental for backhand rallys and volleys(if i have enough time to switch) and continental for second serve. I cant tell what semi western is so i dont know if i use it...

You use western for volleys, first serve; continental for backhand rallys and volleys!

Western is admissible forehand ground stroke grip. Many Pros use full western for their forehand ground strokes.

But for all volleys -- FH and BH -- and all kinds of serves, it is better to use continental grip. This is the norm at the ATP and WTA. OK, for a kicker, an extreme version of continental grip is used.

But to imagine that you use western for volleys and serves! It's unbelieveable .. and it is wrong. It is better that you switch to continental grip for these shots if you want to progress.

I once tried to use semi-western along with my trusted Eastern FH grip, but it did not work and I continued to use Eastern FH grip for my forehand ground strokes.

bc-05
03-24-2005, 05:31 PM
i used halfway between eastern and SW whats that called?

Rickson
03-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Semi-western for good net clearance, but I switch to eastern for chip forehands on approach shots and for returning low balls.

The Pusher Terminator
03-24-2005, 06:39 PM
No, I don't use this grip. I use an eastern forehand and continental for everything else. I've only seen one person use this grip personally. And that was when I was in a tennis camp a while back.

Did you beat that guy in tennis camp? What was is it like?....who the heck is Braseggetti or whatever....and is he a good player?

dewey4262
03-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Between Eastern and SW for forehand. Eastern one-handed backhand. Continental serve, volleys, and slice.

Saito
03-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Eastern and continental.... EBH for volleys, Cont for serve and overhead.......

edberg505
03-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Did you beat that guy in tennis camp? What was is it like?....who the heck is Braseggetti or whatever....and is he a good player?

Actually I didn't have to play that guy thank goodness. But I did hit with him however. The topspin that he could put on the ball was insane. It was pretty hard for him to handle my slices though same goes for players with a full western grip.

The Pusher Terminator
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Did you ever try choking up on the grip to make the racquet really short? I find that this helps against push servers. I can really whack the ball and not worry about hitting it out

intense2b
04-12-2005, 05:53 AM
I really don't know what grip I use. I bought this thing called "the wedge" and it changes my grip from an eastern to something completely new. "The wedge" changes the angle at which one holds the racquet and thereby changes how the face of the racquet hits the ball. So I guess I have what is called a "wedge grip." I guess that I must check off "other" in the poll.

gmlasam
04-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Alberto Berasategi heavily used one (the hawaiian grip) and he gave Andre Agassi the run for on the 99 Australian open with it.

That grip gives you to most wicked, extreme topspin, and I can bet Nadal also uses this grip. Alberto was hitting those overly extreme topspin way before Nadal was. Not to many people know this grip and can't easily identify it. Most will identify it as just Western grip, but it isn't really.

Alberto Berasategi of Spain:
http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/%20Alberto%20Berasategui.jpg

edberg505
04-12-2005, 07:13 AM
gmlasam, That's an awesome picture. Good job locating that. I think I've only seen Berasategi play once before and he did have some nasty topspin.

Rob_C
04-13-2005, 01:33 PM
To me it look like Nadal uses a western grip. His isnt as extreme as Berasategui's was.