PDA

View Full Version : My parents don't support me at all...

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Today I was volunteering (actually more like forced labor) at my church's yard sale where people donate their old stuff and the church sells it back to other people. I found an old woodie racket that I bought for 25 cents. Before all of that, I snapped a string on my main racket and was going to have it strung today. But now my mom isn't going to pay the $5 charge for stringing (my stringer's a very close friend of mine which is why it's cheap) because she thinks I can play full-time with a wooden racket that's technically not allowed in play (it's 26 inches, which means it's too short to play with.)

I only have those 2 rackets, I have to bike to all my practices and matches (2 miles to the courts,) and my parents really don't bother to help me in my tennis at all. Not financially or emotionally. I understand that they hate athletics (my family is really, REALLY into the catholic church and singing and all that) but they don't bother to help me with anything. In fact, my sister once hid my racket bag with all my stuff in there for a week.

(sigh) Anyone else have to deal with non-supportive families?

Clay lover
06-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Thinking you can play with a wooden racquet? Your mom is just plain ignorant. I personally hate parents who stop their children from pursuing their dreams, but it's life afterall, isn't it? It's all about who's got the money and who's raising you. If you're old enough to get a part time job or something then you can string the racquets with ur own money.

h22jspec
06-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Keep your head up buddy, I used to bike my way to practice 20 minutes through urban areas for 3 years. Do what you love, and keep striving. Stay close to the people around the tennis courts trust me, Tennis Pros and the elderly people are always willing to help if you reach out to them. Your parents just do not understand because they can't see past their own problems. You are not alone, many kids all over there country run into these problems, thus why the USTA comes up with non-profit organizations in such areas; keep practicing everyone on the tennis courts are willing to help if you show them some character and dedication. Good luck in the future.:)

kashgotmoney
06-19-2009, 08:47 PM
do what i do. coach kids and adults for money. use poly strings so they dont break as fast.

sk8ing
06-19-2009, 09:05 PM
that really sucks man, makes me feel lucky that my parents support me
but honestly just keep up the tennis and make friends with as many players as u can and sooner or later ul be getting rides to the courts from people wanting to hit with you :D

120mphBodyServe
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
What is your location?
Are your parents obese?

Swissv2
06-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Simple solution: Get your pastor to help you out. He will talk to your parents.

120mphBodyServe
06-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Damn why didn't I think of that?? I hope this "genius" bit of advice helps this kid out.. As this kind of thing really annoys the hell out of me...

subaru3169
06-20-2009, 12:22 AM
ya reach out to the community around you as much as you can.. many folks who are really into the sport support each other and help out if others really need it

SaunderS
06-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, my parents don't watch my matches, but they pay for all my equipment and lessons.

nhat8121
06-20-2009, 02:17 AM
well, at least you have internet...imagine if they don't support that also, oy.

BorisBeckerFan
06-20-2009, 03:14 AM
I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you have a paypal account I will gladly give you $20 to pay for your next 4 string jobs. I would also suggest loving and respecting your parents to the best of your abilities despite any shortcommings you think they might have and you will be blessed for it. Assuming your parents are normal decent people if they see you are doing your best to love and respect them they will show the same towards you. I do not know your parents so the following statement is not a direct comment about your parents, the way it should work is that the parents love and respect the child setting the example and in turn the child responds in kind. Before anyone else asks I cannot give you $20. Also please let your parents know and get there permission to receive the $20 dollars from an internet stranger. I wouldn't want you get in trouble for getting $20 dollars for string jobs. Were it not for the kindness of a stranger giving me my first tennis racquet I would have never started playing tennis as my family was very poor during my early childhood. Thank God things turned around for us shortly thereafter and my parent's ended paying for all my lessons and equipment after that. I hope God blesses and prospers everything you do in life and that he would grant you the joy of playing tennis for the rest of your life.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
06-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Somebody likes to spend money...

I'm practically in the same position as you, my parents hate how I break strings every month, right now of the three racquets i have, all three have been sitting there with no stringing. I wish it was as cheap as your 5 dollars, even then, shouldn't parents encourage you to play instead of ushering you away from the sport?

Apparently, the ones that don't care about you are the ones that love another child, your not a single child are you?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you have a paypal account I will gladly give you $20 to pay for your next 4 string jobs.

I would accept but my parents wouldn't allow me to. Thank you much, though.

Everyone in my family got to pretty much the entire church first, badmouthing my love for the sport. Whenever I interact with a church staff member, they always either treat me like I'm 5 or try to pull out ASAP. Makes sense considering my family spends nearly all their time working for the church.

What is your location?
Are your parents obese?

I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and no they aren't obese.

Somebody likes to spend money...

I'm practically in the same position as you, my parents hate how I break strings every month, right now of the three racquets i have, all three have been sitting there with no stringing. I wish it was as cheap as your 5 dollars, even then, shouldn't parents encourage you to play instead of ushering you away from the sport?

Apparently, the ones that don't care about you are the ones that love another child, your not a single child are you?

If you live near a Sports Authority, you can get a racket strung for 1 cent if you buy string from them. According to the online store, you can buy Prince Syn. Gut plus Duraflex or Wilson Extreme Syn. Gut 17g for $4.99, so check out your nearest store.

My parents don't like me playing any sport because it costs money. Little do they know that they fostered the rest of my siblings to be singers... it'll cost them thousands to help them get degrees in music and thousands more when they can't get a job anywhere. My mom is technically neutral, she treats all of us equally. But my dad loves my little brother who's 5; he can take a dump on the dining table and my dad would give a freaking standing ovation.

BullDogTennis
06-20-2009, 10:38 AM
can you not do chores or somethin around the house to get some money to string racquets? if not, im sure you have an elderly lady, or someone that lives nearby that you can do things for them for enough money to string your racquets. i have no idea how old you are, so some things may be hard, but if your 15-16 you can prob get a small job at a grocery store or somethin and just work weekends, maybe just saturdays or somethin, you prob wouldnt make more than 6 dollars an hour but if you worked even 3 hours thats enough for 3 string jobs.

120mphBodyServe
06-20-2009, 11:07 AM
OMG Your parents are a bunch of d0UC|-|Ebags...
*mega sigh*
And to BorisBeckerFan... I don't think these are the kind of parents worthy of asking "permission" for, and leave the God crap out of it.. Geez, what a crappy world..
Where this kind of thing happens and a stranger can't even give a deprived kid some $$...
OP, maybe there are some charities out there that will listen to your plight of repression.. Child abuse line? Maybe do some research?? Write to a local newspaper/radio station etc???
What about your school??? Maybe someone there will listen...

Some religious people make me sick.

kimbahpnam
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
*mega sigh*
And to BorisBeckerFan... I don't think these are the kind of parents worthy of asking "permission" for, and leave the God crap out of it.. Geez, what a crappy world..
Where this kind of thing happens and a stranger can't even give a deprived kid some $$...
OP, maybe there are some charities out there that will listen to your plight of repression.. Child abuse line? Maybe do some research?? Write to a local newspaper/radio station etc???

Dude, calm down. what are you doing calling other people's parents D-bags? So his parents don't support him in tennis as much as he would like...it's not like he hates them.

You need some help.

scraps234
06-20-2009, 11:50 AM
jeeze those are some jerky parents to not support the sport you love! i would hate to have them... creepers...

120mphBodyServe
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Dude, calm down. what are you doing calling other people's parents D-bags? So his parents don't support him in tennis as much as he would like...it's not like he hates them.

You need some help.

No, this kid needs help. And his parents need a good *** whoopin from Mr T.

BorisBeckerFan
06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
*mega sigh*

There are many predators on the internet and I didn't want to worsen the situation by giving him money and then his parents being like hey where did you get this from. I wanted to give the money with his parents being fully aware of it. I am not Catholic but I do believe in Jesus which Catholics also do and hoping God blesses him is not out of topic or crap since he comes from a Catholic I thought it rather appropriate. You may call it crap but I don't see why it should be left out of the conversation when the op clearly put the church in his thread. It's not like I'm trying to convert him or inject religion into this thread. It was part of his parents not supporting him to begin with. I do agree with you it's sad when strangers can't be nice to each other. Like I said it's because of a stranger that I got started in tennis.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-20-2009, 12:47 PM
*mega sigh*

You actually do need help lol....

It's not like they're abusive and/or neglectful, they give me the things most people dream of having like food, clothing, shelter, etc. It's just that they don't want to help me in the tennis dept.

Besides, how much of a ****** would I look like writing to a charity?

"Dear (charity),

My parents give me all the basics needed to survive, but they won't drop a dime on my tennis (a sport that I technically don't need to play.) Please give me money that could be used for people in true need so I can use it on what's technically a luxury."

nocompromise2009
06-20-2009, 12:53 PM

It's not like they're abusive and/or neglectful, they give me the things most people dream of having like food, clothing, shelter, etc. It's just that they don't want to help me in the tennis dept.

"Dear (charity),

My parents give me all the basics needed to survive, but they won't drop a dime on my tennis (a sport that I technically don't need to play.) Please give me money that could be used for people in true need so I can use it on what's technically a luxury."

i totally agree with S H O W S T O P P E R on this because even tho his parents dont support with tennis he does have the simple things that many ppl dream of, keep ur head up and keeping working at it. and if you turn pro it will make a great spot on ESPN. i feel for you dude.

120mphBodyServe
06-20-2009, 12:55 PM

"Dear (charity),

Fine.. You don't need to play tennis. You tell me that when you're overweight and depressed from lack of exercise and increased boredom.
Your parents are a bunch of selfish fools who want to enforce their way of life on the next generation (that means YOU) without having any regard for your soul. They didn't need to give birth to you... Now tell me you don't neet to play tennis..
If they can't afford to shell out a few $$ here and there... What does that say about them? Either they don't have it or they are cheapskates...
I don't know what else to say. Reach out to someone in your community.
And good luck...

sureshs
06-20-2009, 01:53 PM
I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you have a paypal account I will gladly give you $20 to pay for your next 4 string jobs.

People have become so paranoid (and maybe rightly so) that an innocent offer like that will be suspected. I would stay away from anything to do with minors. The laws are draconian and the suspicion is always on the adult.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Fine.. You don't need to play tennis. You tell me that when you're overweight and depressed from lack of exercise and increased boredom.

I don't need tennis to exercise, I can go on a run or lift weights on my own. And please don't talk about my parents that way. They may not be supportive but they don't neglect me or beat the crap out of me.

Swissv2
06-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Everyone in my family got to pretty much the entire church first, badmouthing my love for the sport. Whenever I interact with a church staff member, they always either treat me like I'm 5 or try to pull out ASAP. Makes sense considering my family spends nearly all their time working for the church.

Something doesn't seem right here. You say "whenever you interact with a church staff member". Did you really talk to your pastor about this already? It seems to me that you did not try my recommendation yet.

I don't understand how a chuch can view your love of tennis a "sin". If so, I find that rather bizarre. Please be honest with us.

Every single sport cost money in some form or another, whether it be trips to and from that location, fees, or paying for equipment. Tennis is one of the cheapest sports to take up at the very beginning. Other relatively cheap sports include basketball, swimming, running, frisbee.Staying active and playing a game is a great way for you to exercise and have fun at the same time. If you were to make a case for continuing with tennis, first it is supposed to be a "gentleman's" game. Second, it is relatively cheap. Third, your parents will know where you are when you exercise. (Unless they don't care where you are when you go out of the house). Fourth, you learn to be socially active.

Another recommendation I have is to find a person at your church to play tennis with. I am 100% positive you will find someone.

Again, I find your reasoning suspect, so it would be helpful to clear the air about the situation.

Cenc
06-20-2009, 02:24 PM
tell them that u will sing better if your body is fit :D
i cant believe how insane people have to be in order to forbid their children to play sports
personally im not 100% into tennis i play it for recreation and im still good
and still my main priority is school so u can definitely do both
try to say something to them

TennisCoachFLA
06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
"Everyone in my family got to pretty much the entire church first, badmouthing my love for the sport"

They may not physically abuse you and may give you the basics.....but what you said above is pretty cruel in some ways. Saying no to you is one thing, feeling the need to have the entire 'community' in on it is bizarre.

mg.dc
06-20-2009, 03:21 PM
SHOWSTOPPER!

First let me say: I too am ‘really, REALLY into the Catholic Church.’ Additionally, I love sports, I am very athletic, and I love more than any sport, tennis. Do not think for a second that Catholics hate sports or think sports are sinful. Some of the greatest athletes in the world attribute their success in sports and in life to their faith.

In the second place, before I give you advice, remember this: Your parents gave you life and for that you can never repay them in equal. Not only that, it’s a commandment to honor your parents.

That said here’s my suggestion. Share with your parents the below quote by Pope Pius XII. Also, research for a few minutes on the Internet of how Pope John Paul II was an avid sportsman, particularly skiing and hiking; he even established an athletics department at the Vatican. In fact, he was called ‘God’s athlete.’ Pope John Paul II was very supportive of sport because, among other things, it was a great way to evangelize.

Perhaps too you can mention that St Peter – the first pope – was a fisherman.

I think you can impress your parents with an honest, well reasoned argument on your part. In turn, perhaps they’ll become more supportive of your tennis. As for biking to all your practices and matches, no sympathy here; many of us had the same experience, so just think of it as something Uncle Toni would have done to teach young Nadal a good life’s lesson.

If they are still not supportive, be patient. Thank God every day for your health, life and family. Many young people don't even have these basic things which would make any disappointment on your part trivial. In other words, stay positive.

"Sport, properly directed, develops character, makes a man courageous, a generous loser, and a gracious victor; it refines the senses, gives intellectual penetration, and steels the will to endurance. It is not merely a physical development then. Sport, rightly understood, is an occupation of the whole man, and while perfecting the body as an instrument of the mind, it also makes the mind itself a more refined instrument for the search and communication of truth and helps man to achieve that end to which all others must be subservient, the service and praise of his Creator." — Pope Pius XII, Sport at the Service of the Spirit, July 29, 1945

region2champion
06-20-2009, 03:49 PM
SHOWSTOPPER!

First let me say: I too am ‘really, REALLY into the Catholic Church.’ Additionally, I love sports, I am very athletic, and I love more than any sport, tennis. Do not think for a second that Catholics hate sports or think sports are sinful. Some of the greatest athletes in the world attribute their success in sports and in life to their faith.

In the second place, before I give you advice, remember this: Your parents gave you life and for that you can never repay them in equal. Not only that, it’s a commandment to honor your parents.

That said here’s my suggestion. Share with your parents the below quote by Pope Pius XII. Also, research for a few minutes on the Internet of how Pope John Paul II was an avid sportsman, particularly skiing and hiking; he even established an athletics department at the Vatican. In fact, he was called ‘God’s athlete.’ Pope John Paul II was very supportive of sport because, among other things, it was a great way to evangelize.

I think you can impress your parents with an honest, well reasoned argument on your part. In turn, perhaps they’ll become more supportive of your tennis. As for biking to all your practices and matches, no sympathy here; many of us had the same experience, so just think of it as something Uncle Toni would have done to teach young Nadal a good life’s lesson.

If they are still not supportive, be patient. Thank God every day for your health, life and family. Many young people don't even have these basic things which would make any disappointment on your part trivial. In other words, stay positive.

"Sport, properly directed, develops character, makes a man courageous, a generous loser, and a gracious victor; it refines the senses, gives intellectual penetration, and steels the will to endurance. It is not merely a physical development then. Sport, rightly understood, is an occupation of the whole man, and while perfecting the body as an instrument of the mind, it also makes the mind itself a more refined instrument for the search and communication of truth and helps man to achieve that end to which all others must be subservient, the service and praise of his Creator." — Pope Pius XII, Sport at the Service of the Spirit, July 29, 1945

fabulous post. hit it right on the head. It seems we have much in common.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Something doesn't seem right here. You say "whenever you interact with a church staff member". Did you really talk to your pastor about this already? It seems to me that you did not try my recommendation yet.

I don't understand how a chuch can view your love of tennis a "sin". If so, I find that rather bizarre. Please be honest with us.

I guess I worded it wrong, I guess they just complain that I play too much or something. But it's true that the church staff treats me like a little 5 year old. They don't treat me like a sinner or someone they frown upon, but I think I've become an inside joke between my family and staff.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-20-2009, 04:25 PM
SHOWSTOPPER!

The thing is, I'm not super religious. I believe in God and Jesus and all that, but my family believes that you have to volunteer a bunch for the church to get into heaven and I think that you just need to be a good person to get in.

arunstennis
06-20-2009, 04:33 PM
wow thats ignorant your not even begging for video games its 5 bucks for a racket to get strung so you can enjoy a sport its not 50 my string jobs cost a lot with strings and my parents somehow swallow it. if you dont care for the church say screw it and live your life how you wanna live it

Federer's cat
06-20-2009, 04:59 PM
(sigh) Anyone else have to deal with non-supportive families?

Tell pope jokes. I swear it's really going to work. Every time I see a catholic person that ****es me off, I start telling all these pope jokes and stories that are so inappropriate. It may not help them support your tennis but it sure is hilarious and very good for revenge.

TennisCoachFLA
06-20-2009, 05:44 PM
SHOWSTOPPER!

No way....parents should NEVER hide behind the we gave you life thing. Parents choose to have children to pass on their genes and all the enjoyment kids bring. And read your bible again, people also have the obligation to let others exert their free will, especially their children.

Kids have NO obligation other than being loving children....they certainly do not owe any sort of debt for being born.

The fact is too many parents abuse their power over their kids. Showing their view on religion is great....trying to force their children into their level of extreme belief is wrong.

Don't mention Uncle Toni....he may have made Rafa ride a bike, but his family was one of total support. Uncle Toni would most likely want to blast these parents to no end.

Yeah, this kid is going to reason with parents who see a kid who loves tennis and won't drop $5 for stringing and who make a joke of it to their church.

Frankly not being kind and supportive....not with money....but with accepting their kids love for tennis, is nasty. It shows control issues. There is no good reason to laugh about a kid enjoying a sport. These parents are completely 100% dead wrong.

Not one parent of a highly successful doctor, engineer, athlete, etc. would ever even dream of making a joke of it at church that their kid was passionate about something.

nCode747
06-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Your parents are a bunch of selfish fools who want to enforce their way of life on the next generation (that means YOU) without having any regard for your soul. They didn't need to give birth to you... Now tell me you don't neet to play tennis..
If they can't afford to shell out a few $$ here and there... What does that say about them? Either they don't have it or they are cheapskates...
And good luck...

Wow, your not going to get too popular around with posts like these.

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol
06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Aw, man. I dislike ignorant parents either. She just doesn't know anything about tennis. I always deal with that stuff. You know what I do?

Hit the strings against the net pole. No, I'm totally serious. But don't make it too obvious, just play for a really long time and tell her the strings were bound to break because they were so old. Because she doesn't know anything about tennis, remember? ;)

But yeah, cheap parents are the worst, man, I totally feel for you.

sureshs
06-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I haven't noticed any correlation between a person's character and his participation in sports, to be quite honest. On the contrary, I have seen many arrogant young players and ****ed-off losers. So I guess I don't buy the sports and character building thing, though I am all for the physical benefits of sports. However, the same benefits are achieved by many by just walking, exercising in the gym, yoga, etc. Those activities can be continued long after the opportunity/ability to play sports is gone. Way too many ex-sportsmen who are obese and unfit when they are older. Sports seems to have just been a one-time thing for them. Also, the excessive physical training they did could not be sustained later in life, leading to various problems.

Sports is after all a very contrived activity. There is nothing natural about hitting a ball between some lines. People were able to lead healthy lives in the past by simply adopting an active lifestyle and moderating their eating habits.

120mphBodyServe
06-21-2009, 12:33 AM
I haven't noticed any correlation between a person's character and his participation in sports, to be quite honest. On the contrary, I have seen many arrogant young players and ****ed-off losers. So I guess I don't buy the sports and character building thing, though I am all for the physical benefits of sports. However, the same benefits are achieved by many by just walking, exercising in the gym, yoga, etc. Those activities can be continued long after the opportunity/ability to play sports is gone. Way too many ex-sportsmen who are obese and unfit when they are older. Sports seems to have just been a one-time thing for them. Also, the excessive physical training they did could not be sustained later in life, leading to various problems.

Sports is after all a very contrived activity. There is nothing natural about hitting a ball between some lines. People were able to lead healthy lives in the past by simply adopting an active lifestyle and moderating their eating habits.

Thanks for derailing the whole point of this thread.

EtePras
06-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Maybe you'd be able to do what you wanted to if you didn't believe in some magical sky wizard who can apparently create a universe?

THESEXPISTOL
06-21-2009, 01:37 AM
This kind of things make me hate all the religious fanatism.
So many lifes and talent wasted by their misconceptions..
Don't get me wrong. I'm Catholic because my parents made me when i was a child.
When i started developing my culture and knowledge i came to the conclusion that all were false beliefs. I was 12 when i fully left all the church activities.
Religious fanatism for me is the worst disease in the world because they create bounds for human potential.
Religion is a method for control ignorant masses of people.

I'm so lucky in have my parents (they aren't perfect believe me) always by my side and always help me with money and that stuff for my sports activities. And i'm not from a very rich family. They pay to my coach, my stringjobs, my racquets, stringjobs and everything i need. They said me that as long as i keep studying and having the good grades i use to have they don't mind pay for that.
You may think that this is a cliché.. If my family was poor i would prefeer that my family gave me emotional support for tennis and helping me to do my best rather than give me all the equipment.
A warrior with a bad equipment and a good mind is a better warrior that the one who has the best equipment but mentally has a big lack.

I feel very lucky.
Showstopper try to find some help.
I don't know how is in the US.
But if i exposed a situation like that to my coach i guess he would help me.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey guys, I got a good victory today. My mom agreed to give me $5 to get my racket restrung, but in a stroke of crap luck, my guy went on vacation until the 26th. :(

I'd just like to thank all you guys for giving me support. Cheers.

BorisBeckerFan
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm glad you're getting your racquet strung!!!

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm glad you're getting your racquet strung!!!

Yeah but my guy went to Rome for his honeymoon (he said Hawaii was too expensive :lol:) Can't blame him for missing, but I was a day late. Meh, patience is a virtue.

gooberwho
06-23-2009, 10:57 PM
not cool. leave God and religion out of this.

Maybe you'd be able to do what you wanted to if you didn't believe in some magical sky wizard who can apparently create a universe?

lainey80
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
I thought the SAME thing of my parents.. I didn't feel support and wouldn't DARE ask for money for things I wanted to do when younger..
i wanted FINANCIAL support to work at a church which I didn't make ANY money and for YEARS have been angry about this that I didn't feel they understood, and felt VERY DISCOURAGED by them to be there...

do not let SPORTS drive you away from your family....
who CARES if they don't support you??
I mean, CARE, it's nice that you like tennis.. but you have to RESPECT your parents.. it may be hard.. but if you are soo young not to be able to work.. then do SOMETHING some kind of CHORE to EARN the money!!
simple!! very simple.. mow yards, hum... I don't really know, but don't let this push you away from your family...
they don't have to AGREE with every decision you make; it is YOUR life.. and you should be the one living it..
but don't make this a big issue...
iN FACT, use this as an opportunity, this STUMBLING BLOCK... to really PROVE your worth around the house.. and with your family...
show appreciation to your family!!
if I were you.. i would PITCH IN at home more.. do chores without being asked, do stuff that makes them know you APPRECIATE them as your parents.. and MAYBE you showing that work ethic around the house.. cleaning up after dinner, vacuuming, dusting, you know, chores to let your parents see you're a good kid, maybe TALK to them again.. NICELY about the money for the racket.. but DO STUFF to earn.. don't just DEMAND!
Just a suggestion...
You probably have fine parents, just not active in sports.. they don't have reality with you..
you can BUILD affinity with your parents by showing more effort around the house, and stuff. I would be WILLING TO BET.. that they would more accepting of you after this..

this has been what I have learned helps..

mikro112
06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
I thought the SAME thing of my parents.. I didn't feel support and wouldn't DARE ask for money for things I wanted to do when younger..
i wanted FINANCIAL support to work at a church which I didn't make ANY money and for YEARS have been angry about this that I didn't feel they understood, and felt VERY DISCOURAGED by them to be there...

do not let SPORTS drive you away from your family....
who CARES if they don't support you??
I mean, CARE, it's nice that you like tennis.. but you have to RESPECT your parents.. it may be hard.. but if you are soo young not to be able to work.. then do SOMETHING some kind of CHORE to EARN the money!!
simple!! very simple.. mow yards, hum... I don't really know, but don't let this push you away from your family...
they don't have to AGREE with every decision you make; it is YOUR life.. and you should be the one living it..
but don't make this a big issue...
iN FACT, use this as an opportunity, this STUMBLING BLOCK... to really PROVE your worth around the house.. and with your family...
show appreciation to your family!!
if I were you.. i would PITCH IN at home more.. do chores without being asked, do stuff that makes them know you APPRECIATE them as your parents.. and MAYBE you showing that work ethic around the house.. cleaning up after dinner, vacuuming, dusting, you know, chores to let your parents see you're a good kid, maybe TALK to them again.. NICELY about the money for the racket.. but DO STUFF to earn.. don't just DEMAND!
Just a suggestion...
You probably have fine parents, just not active in sports.. they don't have reality with you..
you can BUILD affinity with your parents by showing more effort around the house, and stuff. I would be WILLING TO BET.. that they would more accepting of you after this..

this has been what I have learned helps..

I don't agree with that. If your parents don't support you in every possible way they can, they fail raising their children properly. I don't have kids yet, but I will definitely support them as much as I possibly can with everything (except drugs and that stuff, but that should be obvious; also in these cases I would support them to get away from that). I play tennis since 20 years now (I'm 25), but if my kids later like to play soccer or icehockey and I have the financial power to support them financially, I will certainly do that. In addition to any financial support, I will support them emotionally.

A child's interests should be one of the most important things for a parent!

Moreover, if my parents would have decided that my interests are not worth supporting, I always would have chosen my interests over a healthy relationship to my parents. My interests are a part of my personality and by not supporting that, my parents would have shown me that I, as a person, am not important enough to be supported in everything I do. This paragraph was completely hypothetical! I was lucky that my parents supported me and still support me in every possible way.

S H O W S T O P P E R !: Good luck on your difficult task (to help your parents realize that tennis is part of you and that tennis is worth being supported).

Also, I totally agree on the quote of the pope. Performing sports and actually competing in tennis (since 20 years), soccer (for 13 years), and inline-/icehockey (since 10 years) for all my life has definitely shaped my character! Yes, of course my parents also had a big influence by nurturing me, but I would give sports at least 40% influence of who I am today.

mikro112
06-24-2009, 01:34 AM
S H O W S T O P P E R !: You should try to find a small jobs to become more independent from your parents. If you're 14, 15, or even older, you should try to earn some money by mowing the neighbor's lawn or simply find other small jobs, which will provide you with a small amount of money. Then you could either try to save it all for your own stringing machine (which would help you in the future to earn money yourself, by providing stringjobs for other people), or at least to pay for your current stringjobs.

volusiano
06-24-2009, 03:22 AM
S H O W S T O P P E R !: You should try to find a small jobs to become more independent from your parents. If you're 14, 15, or even older, you should try to earn some money by mowing the neighbor's lawn or simply find other small jobs, which will provide you with a small amount of money. Then you could either try to save it all for your own stringing machine (which would help you in the future to earn money yourself, by providing stringjobs for other people), or at least to pay for your current stringjobs.

Showstopper, this is a good suggestion. I would even take it one step further and say that if it's not easy for you to find small jobs to make money, maybe ask your parents what you can do extra around the house to help out beside your normal chores (if you have any) to help them out to earn the money that you need to support your tennis. That way you're not just asking them for free money but you're doing some work to earn that money.

lainey80
06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
mikro112, you make NO sense..
you don't agree with me??
You gave him the same advice.. try to get small jobs to get money to pay..
that's EXACTLY what I told him..
what's the difference..??

120mphBodyServe
07-18-2009, 09:24 PM
mikro112, you make NO sense..
you don't agree with me??
You gave him the same advice.. try to get small jobs to get money to pay..
that's EXACTLY what I told him..
what's the difference..??

We aren't here to condone wacky fairytale worshippers.

ClarkC
07-19-2009, 12:40 PM
And good luck...

And, if they don't have it, then what shall we say about your posts in this thread?

ClarkC
07-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Religion is a method for control ignorant masses of people.

It is funny how the masses of nonconformist free thinkers all repeat the same cliches, word for word.

lainey80
07-19-2009, 01:30 PM
120mphBodyServe,
let me take the time to say hello, and nice to meet you. It
is a privilege to meet someone so nice, like you;)

THESEXPISTOL
07-19-2009, 01:44 PM
It is funny how the masses of nonconformist free thinkers all repeat the same cliches, word for word.

Is it? In my country Darwin Theories are teached to teenagers instead of the stupid non-sense Creationism that is teached in the US Schools.

zammouka
07-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Showstopper, you said you live near chicago. If you go to high school what school do you go to. What area do you live in. I know a few people that may help you out. I live in the Chicago's Southwest Suburbs and just graduated from Argo high school. I have been playing tennis for about a year and a half and I earned a varsity spot my senior year. My mom didnt support me, but I ignored it and remained respectful. I still played tennis though. All of a sudden she gave me money and told me to start training because she wanted to go watch me play the coming season. Just keep respectful and im sure your parents will come around. My mom is an extremely strict muslim, and I am as well. But there is no religion that forbids the enjoyment of sports. Just talk to your parents, and im sure they will come around. You seem like a good kid, and if you keep working hard, im sure your parents will respect you when they watch you play.

THESEXPISTOL
07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Showstopper, you said you live near chicago. If you go to high school what school do you go to. What area do you live in. I know a few people that may help you out. I live in the Chicago's Southwest Suburbs and just graduated from Argo high school. I have been playing tennis for about a year and a half and I earned a varsity spot my senior year. My mom didnt support me, but I ignored it and remained respectful. I still played tennis though. All of a sudden she gave me money and told me to start training because she wanted to go watch me play the coming season. Just keep respectful and im sure your parents will come around. My mom is an extremely strict muslim, and I am as well. But there is no religion that forbids the enjoyment of sports. Just talk to your parents, and im sure they will come around. You seem like a good kid, and if you keep working hard, im sure your parents will respect you when they watch you play.

Good advice.

pvaudio
07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a very interesting view on religion. I was born and baptized as a Catholic, went to church on Sunday, went to Sunday school, etc. I realized quickly that I didn't buy any of it. The Bible itself is a book full of selective reading: the same people who say the Bible states explicitly that homosexuality is a sin will be the first to say that giving up your daughters for prostitution is merely a symbolic phrase. That said, it's going to be up to you in the future whether or not you want to believe just in the virtues of the scripture, as in be nice to others and obey the commandments, or if you want to selectively read it and say that stoning people is somehow a symbolic reference.

You're wondering, what is this pvaudio guy going on about? This has nothing to do with tennis? Yet, it has everything to do with tennis. Your parents see your tennis playing because they view it as an inferior use of time compared to church activities. The Bible obviously doesn't mention tennis, so therefore it cannot possibly be a good use of money and time. This is what you're going to have to learn to live with. I know too many hardcore religious people, and all of them are contradictory. ALL of them. The same people who want to save every unborn life are the same people who want to engage in a war with anyone who coughs something malevolent about the USA under their breath. I cannot stand atheists either, because atheism is a religion all its own.

What I'm trying to say is, you're going to have to keep playing tennis. You need to show your parents that you can love them AND love tennis. You need to show them that you do NOT take church as seriously as they do. This probably sounds like a bad idea, but it's a far worse idea to make yourself miserable by putting on a facade for your teenage years while your parents think you're a dedicated church-goer. Nip that in the bud. They will be upset, I can guarantee it. Seeing as you're on the computer and they eventually gave you money for strings, they aren't so hardcore that they'd disown you or anything of the sort, so just be honest. It'll be rough, I guarantee it. It will ultimately get better in the end though because while they might be upset that they can't force their views on you, you won't be miserable yourself and will still be independent. They'll still love you, but you just need to let them know that you are not like them but that you do believe in God, and feel that God gave you the ability to play tennis to express yourself with.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
07-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Is it? In my country Darwin Theories are teached to teenagers instead of the stupid non-sense Creationism that is teached in the US Schools.

In my school, we are taught evolution. Creationism is only taught in Kansas and other hardcore-religious states.

I go to John Hersey High School (alma mater of the guy who invented Youtube :D) and I live in Mt. Prospect (Businessweek's #1 place to raise a kid in the US :D)

ubermeyer
07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
In my school, we are taught evolution. Creationism is only taught in Kansas and other hardcore-religious states.
They actually teach that stuff in Kansas???? wow. moral of the story: never go to kansas

even the pope doesn't believe in creationism. jesus.

zammouka
07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Hersey is district 214 right. You guys hold the state tournament every year right. What position do you play?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
07-19-2009, 06:21 PM
They actually teach that stuff in Kansas???? wow. moral of the story: never go to kansas

even the pope doesn't believe in creationism. jesus.

Hey, without that, we wouldn't have the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

MethodTennis
07-20-2009, 06:33 AM
snap the wooden racquet say it broke when u were playing cos its old remind them of the strings u need

S H O W S T O P P E R !
07-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Hersey is district 214 right. You guys hold the state tournament every year right. What position do you play?

Yeah, we hold it each year. I was the top reserve on JV last year, but that was because the varsity coach was really picky (she took her full team of 11 and 2 subs) and left us with around 20 kids. I got to play, but it wasn't worth points. I think 5 or so varsity kids graduated so it shouldn't be as competitive. I should be playing mid-high level doubles next year.

fed_the_savior
07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
snap the wooden racquet say it broke when u were playing cos its old remind them of the strings u need

Good idea. I played with a wooden racket once, and it broke on the first smash.

zammouka
07-20-2009, 05:40 PM
My brothers are probably going to be playing 1 and 2 singles for argo. Hopefully they will see you during the season.