PDA

View Full Version : What pro uses a slice serve as a second serve?

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I know most pros use a kick serve for a second serve, but which ones use a slice as a second serve? I believe mixing it up can be useful on the second serve, and I know Nadal and Gonzalez occassionally do so, but who else?

The_Steak
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Every single pro.

DoubleDeuce
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Roger did that against Sod.

MajinX
06-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Alot of pros do.... sometimes even for the first serve out wide.....

examples are davydenko, nadal, federer sometimes, roddick etc.

BullDogTennis
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
what pros use a forehand during a rally? i heard theres 1 or 2, but i doubt it...

MarcRosset1992
06-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Women do it more than men, which tells everything you need to know about the potential of this shot

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Women do it more than men, which tells everything you need to know about the potential of this shot

What the hell is that supposed to mean? :???:

Feņa14
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? :???:

I remember a few years back when Dementieva used to hit a boomerang slice at around 60mph lol, maybe he meant something like that ;)

MarcRosset1992
06-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I remember a few years back when Dementieva used to hit a boomerang slice at around 60mph lol, maybe he meant something like that ;)

If the WTA ever reaches that kind of speed they will introduce speed limits

DNShade
06-19-2009, 11:16 PM

Do you play tennis at all? From your posts I'm seeing, my guess would be no. Or at least not well.

This is the problem with message boards and the net. Anyone can post and say anything and appear to be some kind of expert on any given subject. They are experts without portfolio.

The slice serve - first or second - is a great shot and used by anyone who plays at any decent level.

Noveson
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
what pros use a forehand during a rally? i heard theres 1 or 2, but i doubt it...

Don't listen to Billy here^ He's just what we like to call stupid.

And to the guy who said a slice serve is useless because women use it a lot, you really cannot be very good at tennis. The slice is one of the two most popular serves at any decent playing level.

MarcRosset1992
06-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Slice tennis is great at the club level, and one should be encouraged to practice it. But judging from the threads above, there are plenty of club-level super-experts who seem wiling to offer advice on this.

To regularly serve sliced seconds on the pro tour is a receipe for a serious spanking.

DNShade
06-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Slice tennis is great at the club level, and one should be encouraged to practice it. But judging from the threads above, there are plenty of club-level super-experts who seem wiling to offer advice on this.

To regularly serve sliced seconds on the pro tour is a receipe for a serious spanking.

Yeah...Lleyton Hewitt never amounted to anything...

And if you serve the same serve every time it doesn't matter what you hit - not going to work out real well..

And by the way...Some of us are a little above "club level" kiddo.

IvanAndreevich
06-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Who said about anything about regularity? Federer uses a slice up the T on the ad side on both first and second serve. Not every time obviously. Any serve used all the time is pretty much a recipe for disaster.

MarcRosset1992
06-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Who said about anything about regularity? Federer uses a slice up the T on the ad side on both first and second serve. Not every time obviously. Any serve used all the time is pretty much a recipe for disaster.

I agree that using the slice adds quite a lot of variety on 1st's, and is obviously a great weapon. On 2nd's, the slice takes away so much pace that if not perfectly timed and placed, it can very easily backfire.

DNShade
06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
the slice takes away so much pace that if not perfectly timed and placed, it can very easily backfire.

Takes away so much pace? Maybe someone needs to learn how to hit a real slice serve, huh?

prattle128
06-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Djokovic I believe likes to use it as his second serve, or so I heard... >.>

Meaghan
06-20-2009, 01:01 AM

What are you on about???????????
A slice serve is great , what do you think Nadal uses to the ad court against right handed backhands.
Most right handed serves out wide to the deuce court you'll find tend to be sliced as the kick seve tends to kick into the body.
I was just behind the deuce court at a tournament 2 days ago and almost every serve to that side (other than flat) was a slice serve.

In my mind I can just see your lollipop slice serve now hahaha I agree just ready to be spanked!!!!!!!!!!!

Meaghan
06-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Djokovic I believe likes to use it as his second serve, or so I heard... >.>

Nole kick serves almost everything.
Look at how he holds the racket on serve (like a semi western backhand) it adds to the topspin that produces the kick.

Datacipher
06-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Yes, actually Meghann, the other posters here have no idea what they're talking about. The VAST majority of pros use a topspin or American twist serve on 90% of second serves. They almost never use a "pure" slice/sidespin serve on 2nd serves. They will go for what is often called a "topspin" slice, a significantly slower moving, higher bouncing, more dipping, slice serve...and there are some who use this as their predominant second serve, but very few in the history of tennis used a pure slice. Jack Kramer did like a pure slider though, even as his 2nd serve, as did John Mcenroe (though he often used a topspin mix on 2nd).

But many people don't even know what a pure slice is and can't hit one. Especially rec players. A pure slice has a low margin for error, travels very low over the net and cuts like CRAZY to the side. There are even a lot of pros today, who have trouble doing this on the first serve. It's best done by people who tossed a bit farther to the right, Arthur Ashe, Yannick Noah, Kevin Curren etc. That isn't always a bad thing as the percentage is higher with some topspin. But they do lose a couple few feet off their ability to break the ball.

Mafia13
06-20-2009, 02:10 AM
A lot of the pros use it to mix it up, including fed,nadal, murray(but they still use the kicked more than 80% of the time).. It was used a lot more when tennis was played predominantly on grass and the surfaces were a lot lower bouncing. Today only a few male pros use that serve regularly as a second serve, hewitt, lopez maybe come to mind?

MarcRosset1992
06-20-2009, 04:00 AM
What are you on about???????????
A slice serve is great , what do you think Nadal uses to the ad court against right handed backhands.
Most right handed serves out wide to the deuce court you'll find tend to be sliced as the kick seve tends to kick into the body.
I was just behind the deuce court at a tournament 2 days ago and almost every serve to that side (other than flat) was a slice serve.

In my mind I can just see your lollipop slice serve now hahaha I agree just ready to be spanked!!!!!!!!!!!

Nonsense:?, most right-handed 2nd serves to the deuce side will be kicked on the returner's backhand side. I don't know about YOUR kick serve, but anyone else's (for right-handed servers) would definitely kick towards the ad court and AWAY from the returner's body.

helloworld
06-20-2009, 04:59 AM
WOW, so many noobs in this board!!! LOL!!! ROFL!! LMAO!!!! Which pro uses a slice serve?????? How about... ALL!!!

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2009, 05:05 AM
blake
10 chars

BullDogTennis
06-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Don't listen to Billy here^ He's just what we like to call stupid.

And to the guy who said a slice serve is useless because women use it a lot, you really cannot be very good at tennis. The slice is one of the two most popular serves at any decent playing level.

ha my name isnt billy! silly. thats kinda close, but not it!

Claudius
06-20-2009, 06:57 PM
First off, the OP asked which pros use slice serves as a second serve. The answer is not much. Most pros use kick serves or its variations such as twist, topspin-slice, and topspin as a second. But of course, many pros use the slice serve as a change up on their second serve.

However, Leyton Hewitt is one player I've noticed who tends to always use slice serves as his second serve.

Women on the other hand tend to slice their second serve (most of them) hence why I think double faulting is more of a problem on the women's tour. (a kick serve is a higher percentage shot).

A couple women do hit kick serves as their second. The only ones I can think of are Kuznetsova, Schnyder, and Stosur.

Claudius
06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
WOW, so many noobs in this board!!! LOL!!! ROFL!! LMAO!!!! Which pro uses a slice serve?????? How about... ALL!!!

Read much?

Nanshiki
06-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Apparently Hewitt did at one point... causing a lot of double faults.

MarcRosset1992
06-20-2009, 10:23 PM
First off, the OP asked which pros use slice serves as a second serve. The answer is not much. Most pros use kick serves or its variations such as twist, topspin-slice, and topspin as a second. But of course, many pros use the slice serve as a change up on their second serve.

Thank you for pointing this out. A bunch of the less intellectually contributors to the debate failed to realize this.

DNShade
06-21-2009, 02:07 AM

Thank you for pointing this out. A bunch of the less intellectually contributors to the debate failed to realize this.

Actually the OP asked what pros use a slice second serve "to mix it up".
From the OP:

"I believe mixing it up can be useful on the second serve, and I know Nadal and Gonzalez occassionally do so, but who else?"

The answer - most all of them do if they have a decent serve.

Andres
06-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Most lefties use topspin-slice serves for their 2nd serves instead of kickserves. The idea is to hit to the backhand, and they do it with their natural spins.

Nadal, Lopez, Llodra, Verdasco, they all hit rather "slicish" 2nd serves. They kick it when they face each other.