PDA

View Full Version : Next time an American wins a Slam

MarcRosset1992
06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
What do you think

1. Roddick has another one in him

2. Any of the rest of useless current bunch can do us a Johannson

3. Ir will not happen unless the US takes Spanish as its official lanaguage

4. It will not happen unless the US invades a European country and claims the locals as US citizens

Beasty54
06-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Roddick wins wimby this year.

No, not really
but he will go deep and at the US

open.

MarcRosset1992
06-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Roddick wins wimby this year.

No, not really
but he will go deep and at the US

open.

Hallelujah

westside
06-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Donald Young anyone?

malakas
06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Jan Silva!lol

prattle128
06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I guess we can hope for something in the next 10 years... it's always kind of interesting to see/think about who is going to step up and really accept the mantle from Roddick as the best American tennis player (best current player obviously, not all-time).

shawn1122
06-20-2009, 12:31 AM
What do you think

1. Roddick has another one in him

2. Any of the rest of useless current bunch can do us a Johannson

3. Ir will not happen unless the US takes Spanish as its official lanaguage

4. It will not happen unless the US invades a European country and claims the locals as US citizens

Option 3 or 4 wouldn't really work in general. The US would have to adopt Federer or Nadal specifically, since those two have won virtually all the slams in the past couple years.

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry to say, but I don't see a slam in James unless he makes a miracle run at the USO. Roddick's hopes are better, but not by much.

To be fair, the same could be asked of Australia, to an even bigger degree. Their next big hope, Brydan Klein, just got suspended for a racist tirade.

I always hold out hope that Querrey could have a breakout summer, a la Del Potro last summer. Not that much hope though...

There's bound to be some new American on the rise. Where at though, who knows. Could be some kid no one ever heard of, comes out of nowhere and wins a junior slam. There's still hope, just not as much in the past, where Mac and Connors gave way to Sampras and Agassi, who gave way to Roddick, who'll give way to...

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Roddick might sneak another slam before he retires.

MarcRosset1992
06-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Roddick might sneak another slam before he retires.

I think so too. Praise!

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Roddick would need alot of hope, in my opinion, to win a slam. I don't see him beating Murray, Fed, or Nadal in a slam final. And Djokovic, even w/ their career h2h, is no automatic if he starts to play like Djokovic again. So Roddick would need a couple of those guys to lose and have to beat one in order to win a slam. He definetly got a break w/ Nadal being unhealthy this yr at Wimbledon. I still don't see him beating Fed or Murray on grass though, definetly not Fed, even if he beats Murray and makes the Final.

Mafia13
06-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I simply can't see any of the Quarrey, Ginepri, Fish type even going deep into a slam, let alone winning it, blake could make a deep run if he was really on, but I simply can't see it. The field today is too good for Johansson type flukes (no disrespect meant but he really hasn't done squat besides that win). Roddick IMO is one of the hardest workers on the tour and I believe he deserves one more slam, but I can't see him beating fed, nadal or even murray in a slam. Perhaps a Ivanisevic-like run at Wimbledon when hes way out of the top 10 and all the pressure is lifted?

kimbahpnam
06-20-2009, 01:06 AM
if Soderling can make the final at the FO, an American has a legit shot at a slam final this year.

Meaghan
06-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Not until a new kid on the block comes thro. Roddick has a chance to go deep in all the slams but you know when he plays the top 4 he comes unstuck. I really like Fish especially trout but he does well getting to the second week. Blake played well at Queens but everyone knew Murray would beat him. I watched Vince Spadea the other day and he nearly got beat by a 15yr old.
If you brought back Sampras now i think he could be top 5 and be more likely to win a slam.

ClubHoUno
06-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Sorry to say so, but US need to invade Europe to get a Gran Slam winner - the current group of US players have ZERO chance of winning a Gran Slam.

You need to look at the juniors to find the next US Slam winner.
Donald Young in my view will never win one either.......

I hope the US soon will come up with a couple of Agassi's, Sampras's and Johnny Mc's - the tennis world need the US guys, and frankly they are almost not on the tennis map ATM :(

P_Agony
06-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Most will consider me insane for saying that, but I think Roddick still has a slam in him.

batz
06-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Most will consider me insane for saying that, but I think Roddick still has a slam in him.

No, I can get my head round this. It's not impossible for ARod to win another slam IMO.