PDA

View Full Version : Nadal is definitely not done.

Swissv2
06-19-2009, 11:39 PM
With the correct amount of rest, top quality treatment from his medical team, proper recovery sessions, and more careful season planning, Nadal definitely has a few more years left in him. Personally, I believe that Nadal pulled out of this Wimbledon for psychological reasons as well as physical.

Unfortunately, I believe that Nadal may need to modify his playing style. If he continues his grinding style, the intense training sessions where he hits all out during practice, staying far behind the baseline, and his hitting technique for the forehand - he will wear himself down. The modifications for style change may not have to be that drastic (stand closer to the baseline, save full intensity for the matches only, *get a better serve*)

Nadal's situation reminds me of Agassi in a way, but at the dangerously young age of 23.There are a few similarities between their styles of play with both replying on aggressive and sharply angled shots making it difficult for opponents to return the ball, though I rank Nadal to be the more athletic of the two.

Perhaps Nadal can continue to play like this until he is 26-27 years old. After that, it is very difficult to tell.

But afterall...I am an armchair commentator.

Thoughts?

MarcRosset1992
06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
He is just injured. A few weeks of rest and he will back roaring.

GraniteHoosier
06-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Interesting points, although I think Nadal's knees may actually hinder him from developing a better serve. Also, Agassi played much closer to (or even inside) the baseline so he didn't run nearly as much as Nadal does. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll play but in the long run (i.e. in 2-3 years maybe?) he might end up like Kuerten in that his success will basically be only on clay.