PDA

View Full Version : federer will play the opening match on center court

makhan10
06-20-2009, 02:51 AM
according to wimbly website http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2009-06-19/200906191245407170769.html

Tony48
06-20-2009, 02:54 AM
He'll get broken in his first serve, give everyone a little scare, and then beat Lu 6-2, 6-1, 6-2

Sentinel
06-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Isnt Lu the guy who took out Nalbandrogen some time back ? AO ?

batz
06-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Isnt Lu the guy who took out Nalbandrogen some time back ? AO ?

He took Murray out at last years Olympics

batz
06-20-2009, 03:31 AM
I'm not surprised at this - Pete did the same when Goran withdrew. Also, I'm pretty sure the BBC would have been pushing for Murray to play on the middle Saturday if possible. The bottom half playing first allows for this to happen.

malakas
06-20-2009, 03:34 AM
As expected.

haha :mrgreen:Fed playing the opening match since 2004 win or lose :p

batz
06-20-2009, 03:52 AM
As expected.

haha :mrgreen:Fed playing the opening match since 2004 win or lose :p

It's a conspiracy ah tells ya! It's all part of the plan to make sure he plays his matches before the bad weather comes:twisted:

malakas
06-20-2009, 04:11 AM
It's a conspiracy ah tells ya! It's all part of the plan to make sure he plays his matches before the bad weather comes:twisted:

ha!Tell me about it!:roll: As if the draw,the weather and God himself being a ******* wasn't enough!http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/frown.gif

rhubarb
06-20-2009, 04:13 AM
I'm not surprised at this - Pete did the same when Goran withdrew. Also, I'm pretty sure the BBC would have been pushing for Murray to play on the middle Saturday if possible. The bottom half playing first allows for this to happen.

Wasn't it Agassi in 2002? Pete had done it enough times already, which is why I'm a bit surprised they picked Roger to do it this year. But there would have been uproar if they'd picked Andy Murray to open.

Edit: this means of course I've got to try and get a ticket for Monday now instead of Tuesday. Suppose I'm used to going on Mondays though ;)

malakas
06-20-2009, 04:17 AM
no.It was Sampras in 2002.And he was on the down side of the draw,like Federer is now.

Marius_Hancu
06-20-2009, 04:20 AM
This is very good for Roger to have his half play first.

malakas
06-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Wasn't it Agassi in 2002? Pete had done it enough times already, which is why I'm a bit surprised they picked Roger to do it this year. But there would have been uproar if they'd picked Andy Murray to open.

Edit: this means of course I've got to try and get a ticket for Monday now instead of Tuesday. Suppose I'm used to going on Mondays though ;)

you're right.I just checked it.http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2002/jun/25/wimbledon2002.wimbledon3

He may have been fourth choice, but it was all pretty special, both for the crowd and the player. With Goran Ivanisevic, last year's champion, recovering from a shoulder operation, Pat Rafter, the runner-up, in semi-retirement and Pete Sampras wanting a late start, the All England Club turned to Andre Agassi to set the ball rolling on centre court, and he duly obliged with a performance worthy of the name champion.

batz
06-20-2009, 04:33 AM

I happily stand corrected.

Good luck on the ticket front.

Sentinel
06-20-2009, 06:17 AM

I thought they had a roof over center court. I trust Rodge will play most matches there, esp if it rains.

This is very good for Roger to have his half play first.

Do you mean because he will get more rest before the finals ?

joeri888
06-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Will the whole bottom half play the first day? Or will day play the top half and Roger Federer and then give the winner of Federer-Lu an extra day's rest?

batz
06-20-2009, 06:22 AM
I thought they had a roof over center court. I trust Rodge will play most matches there, esp if it rains.

Do you mean because he will get more rest before the finals ?

I was being facetious. Of course the weather can't effect things this year.

Spider
06-20-2009, 06:23 AM
I was hoping for Murray to the open the proceedings, how cool what that be? But whatever, I guess Fed deserves a little more.

batz
06-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Will the whole bottom half play the first day? Or will day play the top half and Roger Federer and then give the winner of Federer-Lu an extra day's rest?

Whole half will pay.

pame
06-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Playing the first match on CC at Wimbledon is such a tradition that, were Roger not in the draw either, I believe Leyton Hewitt would have been asked as the most recent winner before the Federer streak.

John-O
06-20-2009, 08:27 AM
i have a ticket for wimbledon - its the 2nd monday - does that meen i will see federer 4th round ! because initialy i thought it would be nadal fourth round - I HOPE ITS FEDERER - BIG FAN ! aha :)

Al Czervik
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
i have a ticket for wimbledon - its the 2nd monday - does that meen i will see federer 4th round ! because initialy i thought it would be nadal fourth round - I HOPE ITS FEDERER - BIG FAN ! aha :)

I think you are in for a treat as that is the one day where everyone left in each draw plays.

malakas
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM

You could see a repeat of the FO final,Soderling-Federer!;)

Joeri,the whole down side will play.

John-O
06-20-2009, 08:35 AM
oh my im so happy when i got the tickets i initially thought oh nadal fourth round and andy murray hopefully *fingers crossed* this is gunna be a good day but when nadal pulled out i thought oh great now im gunna have an average day at wimbledon - BUT this has brought a huge smile to my face :D woo aha

Sentinel
06-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I was being facetious. Of course the weather can't effect things this year.
ok, i don't know much about you .... I'll watch out for your humor in future :)

Ack, if it rains like 4-5 days continuously then there would be a problem, since the grass needs to "breathe". They say the court would be slippery if they keep the roof closed longer than 4/5 days.

malakas
06-20-2009, 08:54 AM
ok, i don't know much about you .... I'll watch out for your humor in future :).

tsk tsk british humour!!!:rolleyes: :p hehe

John-O
06-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Malakas - any idea on what other mens fourth round ill be seeing that day ?

batz
06-20-2009, 09:12 AM
ok, i don't know much about you .... I'll watch out for your humor in future :)

Ack, if it rains like 4-5 days continuously then there would be a problem, since the grass needs to "breathe". ]They say[/B] the court would be slippery if they keep the roof closed longer than 4/5 days.

Really - that's the first I've heard. I thought as long as the climate control systems were working it could run for the whole fortnight if needed.

malakas
06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Malakas - any idea on what other mens fourth round ill be seeing that day ?

They are going to put on Federer's and Murray's matches on CC.
My guess is :Federer vs Soderling/Feli Lopez
and Murray/Gulbis :twisted: vs Safin/Wawrinka

babbette
06-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I really do want to see Roger but the only person I would camp for is Rafa.

Whoever is going, enjoy the match.:)

Having said that, they just couldn't wait for Roger to brush Rafa aside. http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif

Rafa don't feel brushed aside. Go to Ibiza and for gods sake cheat on your girlfriend with a loose girl. :(

joeri888
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I really do want to see Roger but the only person I would camp for is Rafa.

Whoever is going, enjoy the match.:)

Having said that, they just couldn't wait for Roger to brush Rafa aside. http://emoticons4u.com/sad/014.gif

Rafa don't feel brushed aside. Go to Ibiza and for gods sake cheat on your girlfriend with a loose girl. :(

You're at Ibiza next week?