PDA

View Full Version : Will we see a new Rafa emerge?

svijk
06-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Given the events in the past 24 hours, it doesn't seem rest alone will help Rafa get back to full fitness and remain that way. He surely needs to make some changes to his game.

Since his injuries are stress related (at age 22!!), its obvious his playing style is to blame. What changes do you think he will bring to his game?

Work on his serve to shorten points
Try hitting flatter instead of his patented top spin shots which take up to much effort
Rely more on movement than hard running
A net game.

Marius_Hancu
06-20-2009, 05:36 AM
Wish it were so easy. I don't know of any pro who's really retrofitted his movement style too radically at this age.

If he's not careful and doesn't change that he's looking into Guga's and Norman's (and Agassi's) story (OK, they had hip probs, but same overstraining issue).

tahiti
06-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Given the events in the past 24 hours, it doesn't seem rest alone will help Rafa get back to full fitness and remain that way. He surely needs to make some changes to his game.

Since his injuries are stress related (at age 22!!), its obvious his playing style is to blame. What changes do you think he will bring to his game?

Try hitting flatter instead of his patented top spin shots which take up to much effort
A net game.

Correction. Nadal is 23 years old and has been at the top of men's game for a few years. Nadal's body frame (bigger thighs) doesn't assist weaker knees. Why should the no. 1 of the world change his game when he's been the talk of the world for the last 4 years for being able to beat the so called goat time after time?

miniRafa386
06-20-2009, 05:46 AM

A net game.

i agree with all of these except flatter shots and a net game. nadal's net game is very very underrated and is in fact very good. as for hitting flatter, he has already been doing that since the start of the 2009 season. his topspin is one of the major components to him winning matches. it wears down his opponents and draws short balls out of them more effectively than a flat ball

Mirdad
06-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Not a good idea! Bad knees will not go away from changing one's playing style.

He has been playing too many matches. Ironically, his extremely high win percentage has been his worst evil. Think about it....a top player who plays as many tournaments as a low ranked player wins many more matches. Therefore he gets physically and perhaps mentally worn down a lot more.

Also, his Uncle has been riding him way too much. When Nadal first began having knee problems his Uncle should have given him time off to heal his knees and go through rehab. I can only look at myself to find what I experienced in my injuries through tennis. Most times, rest is the best remedy along with a good rehab program.

Of course, I don't know exactly what is wrong with Nadal's knees but I think it is fair to say rest is the best cure. Hopefully, he does not have any serious problems that require surgery.

vtmike
06-20-2009, 07:14 AM
People also forget that this guy has been winning Grand Slam's since the age of 19!
Point is that different players peak at different stages of their careers and it is very difficult to sustain such a high level of play for such a long time esp with Nadal's style of play...

Mansewerz
06-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Correction. Nadal is 23 years old and has been at the top of men's game for a few years. Nadal's body frame (bigger thighs) doesn't assist weaker knees. Why should the no. 1 of the world change his game when he's been the talk of the world for the last 4 years for being able to beat the so called goat time after time?

Because being able to walk and play tennis is more important than risking your knees to stay at the top a little bit longer!