PDA

View Full Version : Betting on Pat Cash mentioning US84 linecall

David_86
06-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Every Wimbledon, Pat Cash manages to slip in the fact that in the US Open semi-final against Lendl he served what he thought was an ace, but which was called out. I don't entirely blame Cash because the British commentators always ask "So Pat, have you ever been in a match where a bad line-call has robbed you of a win?" even though they know what his answer is going to be. It's usually followed by Cash saying something like "that ace would have given me another match point, which I think I would have taken".

For the record, that was possibly the most anti-Lendl crowd I have ever seen at the US Open. They were even booing when he was giving his on-court interview.

The funny thing is that even though it was probably amongst the most devastating losses of Cash's career, it's quite an insignificant win in Lendl's considering the fact he was destroyed by McEnroe in the final.

What do people here think of Pat Cash?

I quite like his commentating compared to the others (the standards are pretty low) even though his only tactical advice is "he needs to get into the net more". He was definately a talented player. He beat all the best players in big matches (apart from Becker, I think). People always say he would have won more tournaments if it wasn't for injuries. Maybe, but it's quite a dubious statement considering his record when he was fit (17 matches lost during 1987).

For me, he's not in the top-tier of Lendl, Becker, Edberg and Wilander (despite his wins over them). I'd put him in the same league as Mecir, very talented, but inconsistent. Capable of beating anyone on their day. I don't think he was as complete or as unique as Mecir, but he was probably mentally tougher.

galain
06-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I always felt Cash was a little unlucky to not retire with more Slams to his name. He definitely had the game and his history of injuries was probably more extensive than most of his contemporaries. According to his book, he wasn't always mentally 'in' it - which may account for his less than stellar record, but physically I thought he had more tools than say, Wilander and Lendl.

And that semi in New York - that was tough bloody call by anyone's standards. It could have gone either way. Whether he would have won the match - who knows? Full credit to Lendl though - the way he saved matchpoint was incredible.

Borgforever
06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry -- I posted on the wrong thread...

BTURNER
06-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Cash was very quick and athletic. He could hit the low forehand volley as well I have have seen anyone, generating both power and angle. Injuries did a real number on his career. too many lay-offs.

David_86
06-20-2009, 01:42 PM
What were Cash's weaknesses? He must have had some. I haven't seen enough of his matches.

I'm guessing his forehand and return of serve. Did he have a weak second serve?

BTURNER
06-20-2009, 01:59 PM
He had lots of kick on the second a la Edberg. His return was good but his forehand and his mental game were suspect.

Tennis Dunce
06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Cash was very quick and athletic. He could hit the low forehand volley as well I have have seen anyone, generating both power and angle. Injuries did a real number on his career. too many lay-offs.

You're spot-on about that low forehand volley. Best I've ever seen (sorry Edberg.):shock:

msunderland71
06-25-2009, 01:39 AM
After reading Cash's book I had the feeling he was quite bitter with a lot of people, and had a lot of excuses for himself. A bit of a whinger, and not such a nice guy.

gpt
06-25-2009, 06:59 AM
After reading Cash's book I had the feeling he was quite bitter with a lot of people, and had a lot of excuses for himself. A bit of a whinger, and not such a nice guy.

Then that book must be an honest representation of the subject's character. Congratulations Pat.

David_86
06-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I think what makes Cash and McEnroe so pathetic in this case is that Lendl doesn't seem to hate them. He treats them with indifference.