PDA

View Full Version : Federer says he's sorry to hear Nadal won't play Wimbledon

dh003i
06-20-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/8568580

regarding starting on center court, Federer says:

I shouldn't deserve it this year because Rafa deserves it (as champion) but I am obviously very honoured that the championships chose me again to open the tournament.

We played the last three years against each other here at Wimbledon, [s]o we definitely won't see the same final again. That's disappointing for me, of course, because I'd love to play him.

He's my main rival. We've had some wonderful matches over the years, and especially the one here last year was the one that obviously stands out.

That we can't potentially repeat that is obviously sad. I'm also sad for him because it must have been a very difficult decision to make.

We had a quick a 10-second chat maybe. He congratulated me for Paris. It was good to see him.

I asked him how his knee was. He was like, it's okay. So I kind of knew it wasn't great, because he's very honest to me. So I knew that something could be coming up.

A neat idea would be for the players to wear wrist-bands for Nadal.

mzzmuaa
06-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Yea sure, wrist bands for Nadal.
This isn't one of your homosexual/valley girl programs like Grey's Anatomy. This is tennis and players compete to win. No other player is worse off because Nadal is out of the draw.

malakas
06-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I feel bad for Federer.He isn't even given the chance to get his revenge :(

:p

bizarre_opinion
06-20-2009, 11:21 AM
wrist bands, why? you guys are acting like someone's died.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
thanks for posting the article.Rog said it perfectly.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Yea sure, wrist bands for Nadal.
This isn't one of your homosexual/valley girl programs like Grey's Anatomy. This is tennis and players compete to win. No other player is worse off because Nadal is out of the draw.

Grey's Anatomy. I hate that show. House is infinitely a superior show in every facet.

zagor
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Such breathtaking arrogance :).

Joking aside,nice words from Fed,I always felt that the respect between him and Nadal is genuine(just my impression).

BigServer1
06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Man, what an arrogant ***...How dare he say that last years final was a great match, and how dare he say that Rafa is his main rival.

So arrogant.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Good interview from Federer.

dh003i
06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
wrist bands, why? you guys are acting like someone's died.

I've seen that on several occasions in various sports when a player has an injury.

shawn1122
06-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Federer is such a ******.

How can he say he doesn't deserve to open the tourny?

How full of himself can this guy get?

mandy01
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for showing me the light guys..Roger is again being an arrogant diva :roll: :lol:

zagor
06-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for showing me the light guys..Roger is again being an arrogant diva :roll: :lol:

Yet again he showes us his true colours,it remains one of the biggest mysteries in tennis(and sports in general) how so many players on tour(like 90%)can like this guy.

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 11:51 AM
hahah sarcastic fools roger is a gentlemen as always aboout nadal gd read

ferb55
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I am still wearing my Tom Brady wristband from last year. I hope he comes back and the Patriots are great again.

Colts fan.
Ferb

joeri888
06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Can't believe he thinks he has the right to talk about Rafa like that. Federer is an arrogant has-been living in the past. He shouldn't be allowed to talk about/to/play with our hero.

[osu]ilovecows
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I've seen that on several occasions in various sports when a player has an injury.

Yeah, in team sports, where the person's teammates are wearing them. Why the hell is an opponent gonna wear a wristband to commemorate an opponent's injury? That's ********.

TheNatural
06-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Dr Federer should now calls Nadal to thank him and his injuries for Madrid, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the world #1 spot.

maximo
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Federer is soo fake, he's obviously deep inside full of delight.

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Wristbands for Nadal? How about everybody wears pink capri pants, buttpicks, and takes 45 seconds between points, in tribute to Nadal? That would be better.

rommil
06-20-2009, 12:08 PM

How about the players pick their butts before they serve to commemorate Nadal's absence? All the drama that Nadal generated with his knees injury was ridiculous and people over reacting to his withdawal is becoming almost equally horrendous.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Dr Federer should now calls Nadal to thank him and his injuries for Madrid, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the world #1 spot. Sure,because you set up the priorities for him :roll:

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Dr Federer should now calls Nadal to thank him and his injuries for Madrid, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the world #1 spot.

LOL,hilarious as usual Tennisplaya.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Federer is soo fake, he's obviously deep inside full of delight. Wrong again.A player at Roger's status wants to beat his top rival..thats why he is where he is and you are not.Thats why he's successful.

malakas
06-20-2009, 12:13 PM
How about the players pick their butts before they serve to commemorate Nadal's absence? All the drama that Nadal generated with his knees injury was ridiculous and people over reacting to his withdawal is becoming almost equally horrendous.

roflmao hahaha :mrgreen:

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
How about the players pick their butts before they serve to commemorate Nadal's absence? All the drama that Nadal generated with his knees injury was ridiculous and people over reacting to his withdawal is becoming almost equally horrendous. I do feel sorry for Nadal but I feel no remorse for his fans because they were trashing Roger when he was ill or injured last year.And I agree,the drama is horrendous esp.due to the double standards I've seen here.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Wrong again.A player at Roger's status wants to beat his top rival..thats why he is where he is and you are not.Thats why he's successful.

Not really he said he liked it better when he didn't have a rival.

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Dude, you ripped off my joke! :D

Wristbands for Nadal? How about everybody wears pink capri pants, buttpicks, and takes 45 seconds between points, in tribute to Nadal? That would be better.

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I do feel sorry for Nadal but I feel no remorse for his fans because they were trashing Roger when he was ill or injured last year.And I agree,the drama is horrendous esp.due to the double standards I've seen here.

That is definitely true,my feelings exactly.They ask for sympathy now but they gave Fed none,instead they were ridiculing him non stop how he's old,he's done,he should retire etc.

shawn1122

That's not what he said in this interview. Are you going to prove to us that you know him better than he knows himself?

joeri888

A top sportsman wants to win Every match. If Fed had a 20-0 h2h against Rafa and was still no. 1 in the world, that's what he'd prefer no? And we wouldn't really call it rivalry either.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Not really he said he liked it better when he didn't have a rival.obviously, but that dosent mean he's a chicken not ready to face Nadal.I'd be lying if I said I did not like my life easy and smooth always.Same goes for Roger.Its human nature.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 12:20 PM
That's not what he said in this interview. Are you going to prove to us that you know him better than he knows himself?

Not this interview in another interview a few months ago.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:22 PM
That is definitely true,my feelings exactly.They ask for sympathy now but they gave Fed none,instead they were ridiculing him non stop how he's old,he's done,he should retire etc. true that.i was especially shocked when people accused him of faking illness or injury.

CountryHillbilly
06-20-2009, 12:22 PM

HAHA, nice thread, don't let it die.

TheNatural
06-20-2009, 12:23 PM
After his previous arrogant diagnosis of Nadal, Dr Federer would have looked stupid if he didn't finally say something decent this time.

babbette
06-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks Roger.

Now you can trot to the final with huge grin and evil laughter. Just kidding. :mrgreen:

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:29 PM
true that.i was especially shocked when people accused him of faking illness or injury.

Yup,that was a bit low.But what goes around comes around.

rommil
06-20-2009, 12:32 PM
If Federer said nothing, he will be criticized. Now that he did, he is being disingenuous. Either way, Nadal's injury is a result of his actions and decisions. I will be brutally honest and say Rafa got a bit too greedy and pushed himself too far. His body has been giving him signs of breaking down and he chose to go on full force. His spirit is admirable but Nadal has been on new situations lately and he's not handling it well.

rommil
06-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Dude, you ripped off my joke! :D

You should get a patent next time lol....

MAX PLY
06-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I am not sure what else Federer should have said. What he did say was very classy. Contrast what Roger said to what Serena Williams said at the end of the article if you want to see what a classless person would say.

TennisandMusic
06-20-2009, 01:04 PM
obviously, but that dosent mean he's a chicken not ready to face Nadal.I'd be lying if I said I did not like my life easy and smooth always.Same goes for Roger.Its human nature.

Completely disagree. Me personally, I like to work hard, and when I'm competing I LIKE going up against the best. I've gone up against people who were no good in various areas, and it's just not fun to win that way. The victories you remember the most and the ones you get the most out of are the hard fought ones against the best people. Anything less is completely hollow.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Completely disagree. Me personally, I like to work hard, and when I'm competing I LIKE going up against the best. I've gone up against people who were no good in various areas, and it's just not fun to win that way. The victories you remember the most and the ones you get the most out of are the hard fought ones against the best people. Anything less is completely hollow. Not all individuals can think alike and there's nothing wrong in thinking either way..what matters is not that but ultimately your drive to do well even in adversities and I think Roger has proven that regardless of what Nadal or Sampras fanatics claim.

Cesc Fabregas
06-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Not all individuals can think alike and there's nothing wrong in thinking either way..what matters is not that but ultimately your drive to do well even in adversities and I think Roger has proven that regardless of what Nadal or Sampras fanatics claim.

Put it this way you feel more satisified after you pass a difficult exam rather than a easy one.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Put it this way you feel more satisified after you pass a difficult exam rather than a easy one. I feel satisfied either way :lol:
Roger has said he loves to fight....so he could've meant it but not in the sense that he isnt ready for adversities or dosent feel satisfied after going through them or that he's better off not striving to overcome them.
Also,I do get a feeling Roger was being slightly sarcastic since he's also said on numerous occasions that he likes to play Nadal due the the kind of matches they have produced.

rommil
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Completely disagree. Me personally, I like to work hard, and when I'm competing I LIKE going up against the best. I've gone up against people who were no good in various areas, and it's just not fun to win that way. The victories you remember the most and the ones you get the most out of are the hard fought ones against the best people. Anything less is completely hollow.

Sounds fair. Yet the tennis world goes on with or without Nadal or whoever fails to stay healthy and stay in the competition. There ARE plenty other equally hard working pros out there that deserve the accolades and the best player will hoist the trophy on the second Sunday at Wimbledon. That best player I can surely say will not be Nadal.

truthorbust
06-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I find it hard to really believe he is missing Rafa . Its politically correct of course to say this what he is sayinng but we all know how little he loves to play Rafa at the Slams.

rommil
06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Put it this way you feel more satisified after you pass a difficult exam rather than a easy one.

Nadal is not necessarily the parameter for a hard test. Tennis is a game of momentum and match ups. You can't take you opponent for granted or else that mistake will cost you. See 4th round match at the French....

icedevil0289
06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Grey's Anatomy. I hate that show. House is infinitely a superior show in every facet.

I agree!! Although I do like grey's antomy as well. Anyways, yet again another pathetic interview from the arrogant/classless federer.

sureshs
06-20-2009, 02:21 PM

Or to pick their butt in his honor

Serve_Ace
06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
If Federer said nothing, he will be criticized. Now that he did, he is being disingenuous. Either way, Nadal's injury is a result of his actions and decisions. I will be brutally honest and say Rafa got a bit too greedy and pushed himself too far. His body has been giving him signs of breaking down and he chose to go on full force. His spirit is admirable but Nadal has been on new situations lately and he's not handling it well.

Yeah I guess Nadal is a little too stubborn to slow down a bit and not play full force every tournament

Nadal_Freak
06-20-2009, 04:05 PM
If partying heavily is being sorry, than Fed is sorry. lol

prosealster
06-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Federer is soo fake, he's obviously deep inside full of delight.

i think murray is the one full of delight

vtmike
06-20-2009, 05:01 PM
LOL Murray must have wet his pants when he heard Rafa was out...

P_Agony
06-20-2009, 05:03 PM
That is definitely true,my feelings exactly.They ask for sympathy now but they gave Fed none,instead they were ridiculing him non stop how he's old,he's done,he should retire etc.

But should we really go down to that level?

Plus, there are plenty decent Nadal fans here who are great posters, such as rafan, The-Champ...

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Plus, there are plenty decent Nadal fans here who are great posters, such as rafan, The-Champ...
Har Har. You are right P Agony but sometimes it is fun to rub it in their faces.

P_Agony
06-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Nadal should call Fed to thank him for choking Rome 2006, Hamburg 2008, Monte Carlo 2008, AO 2009.

I guess they agreed to not waste money on silly phone calls.

P_Agony
06-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Har Har. You are right P Agony but sometimes it is fun to rub it in their faces.

Then if we do that we are not better than the Nadal trolls in here.

I for one was very sorry Nadal couldn't play at Wimbeldon, especially for babette since she's going there and really wanted to see him.

ShooterMcMarco
06-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Man, what an arrogant ***...How dare he say that last years final was a great match, and how dare he say that Rafa is his main rival.

So arrogant.

Seriously. I can't believe this Federer guy, always trash talking any chance he gets.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Then if we do that we are not better than the Nadal trolls in here.

I for one was very sorry Nadal couldn't play at Wimbeldon, especially for babette since she's going there and really wanted to see him.
I am a fan of Nadal. I have no problem with Rafa what so ever.He is my third fav player to watch after fed and Nole. I just find some of his fans annoying. He also has many good fans such as NadalFreak (lately), Babbette, MichaelNadal, TheTruth etc.

Cyan
06-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I feel bad for Federer.He isn't even given the chance to get his revenge :(

:p

Yeah, imagine how orgasmic it would have been for the *******s around the world to see Fed straight setting Rafa in the Wimbledon final this year :rolleyes:

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM

You don't have to; you let me, BP, and Drak do that job for you. We are veterans of many flamewars.

luckyboy1300
06-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, imagine how orgasmic it would have been for the *******s around the world to see Fed straight setting Rafa in the Wimbledon final this year :rolleyes:

no need for that actually. we saw fed straight-setting nadal on CLAY in SPAIN.

rommil
06-20-2009, 09:05 PM
You don't have to; you let me, BP, and Drak do that job for you. We are veterans of many flamewars.

Oh can I be a member eventually?

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh can I be a member eventually?

Of course, we are always recruiting new members. Coalition of Nadal Troll Exterminators.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Of course, we are always recruiting new members. Coalition of Nadal Troll Exterminators.
Vtmike, despite being relatively new compared to veterans like yourself, BP, and Drak, has done well in many flame wars.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Don't be pathetic. Nadal, I am sure, would not want people to pity him the way that you are doing now.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 09:10 PM
no need for that actually. we saw fed straight-setting nadal on CLAY in SPAIN.
redefining the word "pwnage" there, luckyboy :D

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Well, it's not so hard. He did it at Madrid, so I am sure he can do that again to a guy with bump knees. You seriously think Nadal can make it to the final? The guy lost in the 4th round in his best surface and hid from the Queens press by not playing there, lost to Hewitt in 2 sets, and lost to Warinka. Even if he enters Wimbledon, he may lose it in straight set to a qualifier. Anything can happen, certainly Nadal proved it at the FO. So, yes, Nadal could lose in straight sets at Wimbledon 1st round too.

Mick
06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
i am glad they asked federer this question and not nadal because nadal's answer would have been "i'm sorry he's not playing, no" :D

theduh
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
And all of a sudden Nadal is supposed to be the finish line in Wimbledon? How about we go back in the days wherein the champion last year just sits throughout the tournament and wait for his final opponent.

I'm sad that Nadal withdraw from this years tournament because I want to see another epic Nadal-Fed encounter. Hope he recovers soon.

Matt H.
06-20-2009, 10:57 PM
interesting that they chose Federer for the opening match.

In '02 with no Goran, they skipped over Pete and gave the opening match to Andre. That was kind of a slight. Then they throw the guy on court 2 to top it off.

zagor
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM

In '02 with no Goran, they skipped over Pete and gave the opening match to Andre. That was kind of a slight. Then they throw the guy on court 2 to top it off.

You're a Sampras fan right? So do you maybe remember why they put Pete on the "graveyard" court? I mean what was the rationale for doing something like that,the guy was a 7 time champion.I remember being suprised but I don't know why they did that.

devila
06-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Too bad I don't watch Federer unless he cheats and chucks rackets, balls, bottles around the chair for ball kids to pick up and verbally abuse opponents in humiliating losses.

mandy01
06-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Too bad I don't watch Federer unless he cheats and chucks rackets, balls, bottles around the chair for ball kids to pick up and verbally abuse opponents in humiliating losses.
too bad nobody cares about what trolls like you since you have nothing better to do than to trash-talk :mrgreen:

luckyboy1300
06-21-2009, 04:16 AM

well if you have seen them then you watch federer a lot. talk about being a closet fed fan lol

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-21-2009, 04:26 AM

Such a nice board.

....I mean, so what if Nadal digs in his butt like he's looking for gold nuggets... :)

malakas
06-21-2009, 04:44 AM

:roll: They DID ask Sampras to do it,but he wanted to start late,that's why they went with their 4rth choice,and asked Agassi..:roll:
But of course,you can ignore reality and interprete the way it suits you :roll:

malakas
06-21-2009, 04:45 AM

yes it would.Too bad,that Nadal chickened out and made up this tendonitis excuse.:(

Aabye
06-21-2009, 05:27 AM
yes it would.Too bad,that Nadal chickened out and made up this tendonitis excuse.:(

Federerfans, sooo classy. Which is why their boy is going to be schooled by Murray this year at Wimby!:-P

zagor
06-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Federerfans, sooo classy. Which is why their boy is going to be schooled by Murray this year at Wimby!:-P

We learn from example set by "classy" and "righteous" Nadal fans here.As for getting schooled by Murray we'll see,the old geezer Fed still has a few tricks up his sleeve so I wouldn't underestimate him.

Aabye
06-21-2009, 05:32 AM
We learn from example set by "classy" and "righteous" Nadal fans here.As for getting schooled by Murray we'll see,the old geezer Fed still has a few tricks up his sleeve so I wouldn't underestimate him.

I did put the smilie in there to make it clear I was just razzing malakas (as I assume he was doing for Nadal).

But as for those tricks, Murray's a pretty tricky lad himself.

zagor
06-21-2009, 05:36 AM
I did put the smilie in there to make it clear I was just razzing malakas (as I assume he was doing for Nadal).

But as for those tricks, Murray's a pretty tricky lad himself.

Have to agree with that,he sure can make players go crazy(including Fed).One of the best tennis tacticians I've seen in years.Should be an interesting Wimbledon this year,I'd personally like a Fed-Murray final because it would be such a special occasion(first Brit after ages to win Wimbledon or Fed to break Pete's slam record)plus the crowd would make for great atmosphere.

InvisibleSoul
06-21-2009, 12:09 PM
ilovecows;3580846']Yeah, in team sports, where the person's teammates are wearing them. Why the hell is an opponent gonna wear a wristband to commemorate an opponent's injury? That's ********.
+1

10chars