PDA

View Full Version : talent DOES matter!

aphex
06-20-2009, 12:25 PM
it's the thing that federer can fall back on when he's not fit .
even with mono and a bad back last year he had a stellar year (for non-federer standards.)
nadal has nothing to fall back on.
if he's not 100% fit, he's nothing.

joeri888
06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
One of the most important talents a top athlete can wish for is the gift to have a body that's totally okay and can handle the day in day out pressure on the muscles and stuff. Federer's got that talent, Rafa doesn't.

canuckfan
06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
In order to have longevity at the very top of tennis a pro must have enough offensive weapons to prevent his opponents from attacking. Defence is important but nobody , not even nadal, can chase down 90+ mph groundstroke bombs for a decade. You've got to take the initiative and preempt the attack. Otherwise you're stuck trying to outrun the ball.

shawn1122
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with canuckfan. For longevity you need a game that balances defense and offense, like Federer's. Not like Nadal who has always been about incredible defence. I think we all knew these knee problems would catch up with him eventually and cost him big. Too bad it had to be the year right after the best year of his career.

TennisandMusic
06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
it's the thing that federer can fall back on when he's not fit .
even with mono and a bad back last year he had a stellar year (for non-federer standards.)
nadal has nothing to fall back on.
if he's not 100% fit, he's nothing.

This is such bull...so Nadal isn't talented?

I'm sorry but Federer withdrew from a tournament last year with back problems. Do you literally think Federer was running around with mono and a bad back and beating everyone except Nadal last year?

What exactly would Federer "fall back on" if he just couldn't move or bend his knees properly? I'm REAL curious to hear the answer to this one!

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 02:51 PM

I'm sorry but Federer withdrew from a tournament last year with back problems. Do you literally think Federer was running around with mono and a bad back and beating everyone except Nadal last year?

What exactly would Federer "fall back on" if he just couldn't move or bend his knees properly? I'm REAL curious to hear the answer to this one!

http://i40.tinypic.com/2l2red.jpg

aphex
06-21-2009, 03:40 AM

i hope you are not serious!

firstly, i'm talking about talent in relative terms--i'm not saying nadal does not have a tennis talent in general-i'm saying that federer has FAR more natural talent--if you dispute that, you are delusional.

to answer the last part of your question, i don't see how mono or bad back is less troublesome than bad knees...you do know that the service motion is all in the back, right? you know that the serve is at least 50% of the male pros' game, right?
you know that federer couldnt serve for **** in the AO'09 final and still took nadal to 5, right?

and what on earth are you on about when you say CAN'T move...you make it sound like nadal was playing these exos in a wheelchair...he took wawrinka to a 3rd...so, obviously he could move. just not at 100%.