PDA

View Full Version : Murray: I have Advantage

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 11:49 AM
What some call pressure, Andy Murray calls an advantage
By Howard Fendrich

LONDON — Andy Murray can't quite fathom why people think that having a country behind him at Wimbledon would be anything but helpful.

After all, what some consider a burden - being Britain's best chance for its first male champion at the All England Club since the 1930s - he considers an edge.

"Anytime you can play in front of a home crowd, in any sport, you know, is a huge advantage," the third-seeded Murray said Saturday. "A lot of people try and say that playing here at Wimbledon it's not, but I don't understand why - in football and in basketball, whatever, home court or playing a home match is a huge advantage.

"I view tennis as being the same thing: You've got 15,000 people behind you."

Well, actually, Andy, it'll be more like 60 million or so.

The locals certainly won't ignore the start of Wimbledon on Monday, when Roger Federer faces Yen-hsun Lu of Taiwan in the first match on Centre Court (an honour usually reserved for the reigning men's champion, but 2008 winner Rafael Nadal withdrew Friday, citing bad knees).

But more are sure to pay attention Tuesday, when Murray is scheduled to play his opener at the grass-court Grand Slam tournament against Robert Kendrick of the United States.

That's when "Murraymania" will get going in earnest.

Indeed, Nadal's departure was viewed here through the prism of how it helps Murray: Nadal beat Murray in last year's Wimbledon quarter-finals, and they had been drawn to face each other in this year's semifinals.

Murray is aware of such talk, and while he generally sounds a humble tone, he is not shy about embracing his status as one of the title contenders.

"I feel like I'm better equipped to win a Grand Slam this year than I was last year. And, yeah, I think I have a chance of winning, but I understand how difficult that is to do. You know, it's very easy to, you know, sort of say, 'Oh, Rafa's not playing. Andy's got a much easier route to the final.' I don't view it like that at all," Murray said. "I feel like I've got a chance, but I'll have to play great to do it."

The expectations and pressure on the 22-year-old from Scotland started to bubble up two years ago, when he began to flash the skills that made him the logical heir to four-time Wimbledon semifinalist Tim Henman as the Great British Hope. They only have grown as Murray has made his way up the rankings, reached his first Grand Slam final at last year's U.S. Open and performed well at this year's French Open, making the quarter-finals.

He is one of the few players with a winning record against Federer: Murray leads their head-to-head series 6-2, including four victories in a row.

Asked Saturday if there's something about Murray's game that irritates him, Federer said with a smile: "Just that he's very good."

Prodded to elaborate, Federer said: "He's a very gifted player. He has wonderful feel. He's a great tactician. I always said that, and he's finally proved it, because it took him some time. That was the disappointing part, I thought - that it took him longer than I expected. So I was wrong with my prediction, because I expected him to do better a few years ago. But everything is coming together for him now."Murray is 40-6 this season, with four titles, including last week on grass at Queen's Club, the first British man to win that tournament since Bunny Austin in 1938. That, by the way, was two years after the last time a British man won Wimbledon: Fred Perry in 1936.

Think that added to the anticipation for the coming two weeks? One tiny indication: A sign in front of a church in Wimbledon village, about a 20-minute walk from the All England Club, reads, "Andy Murray, King of Queens. Jesus Christ, King of Kings."

Murray maintains he isn't bothered one whit by what others think or hope.

"You can either deal with that stuff or you can't. I don't get caught up in the whole hype thing, getting involved in reading all the papers, listening to what everyone else is saying. Because at the end of the day, it makes no difference if some guy thinks I can win the tournament or whatever," he said. "I think I can deal with it, yeah."

He definitely does not try to distance himself from Perry: Murray has a deal with an apparel company named for the late British star and his outfit for this year's tournament is being made in honour of what would have been Perry's 100th birthday.

Murray, who showed up Saturday in a white cable-knit sweater that's part of that clothing line, was a tad understated when asked how a Wimbledon title might be received around these parts.

"I'm sure it would be huge, huge news for quite a few weeks and stuff," he said, fiddling with the microphone in the All England Club's main interview room. "You never know until those things happen. It's been such a long time, and people have been waiting for it for, well, forever now."

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

joeri888
06-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Federer never gives credit to his opponents.

TennisandMusic
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Well Murray seems to deal with it better than Henman at least. That guy seemed practically scared to win. Obviously Murray wants it, so the pressure isn't pressure at all, he just sees it as support.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Yet again Federer has given no credit to nadal!

TennisandMusic
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok, people are going to turn this into a Federer thread. Wonderful.

Let's see what Federer says IF Murray beats him in the final. Federer is gracious until he loses. How many times does that have to happen for people to not deny it?

Remember when Federer won Wimbledon 07 and he said he was glad to keep getting them before Nadal started winning them all? Nice comment for sure. What does he say when Nadal wins 3 of 4 a year later? "It's a shame to lose it over a bit of light." (even though he was NEVER in the lead, the entire match), "Usually the better player doesn't always win." "I should have never been there anyway" (the fifth set). Quite a turn around in rhetoric isn't it. Let's not turn this into a Federer IS gracious thread, just keep it on the topic of how Murray is dealing with the crowd support and desire for him to win.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Let's see what Federer says IF Murray beats him in the final. Federer is gracious until he loses. How many times does that have to happen for people to not deny it?

Remember when Federer won Wimbledon 07 and he said he was glad to keep getting them before Nadal started winning them all? Nice comment for sure. What does he say when Nadal wins 3 of 4 a year later? "It's a shame to lose it over a bit of light." (even though he was NEVER in the lead, the entire match), "Usually the better player doesn't always win." "I should have never been there anyway" (the fifth set). Quite a turn around in rhetoric isn't it. Let's not turn this into a Federer IS gracious thread, just keep it on the topic of how Murray is dealing with the crowd support and desire for him to win.
Seriously stop trying to call out federer fans. It is only fitting that this happens because for months *********s raided this board with their garbage. You just seem to only see things from one side. Oh and how about that perfect nadal. After he loses, he says his opponent was too good in the press conference. The next day.... My knees hurt, It was amazing disaster, no?, I play to much, no? Yeah, nice change in rhetoric, eh? :rolleyes:

mandy01
06-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Remember when Federer won Wimbledon 07 and he said he was glad to keep getting them before Nadal started winning them all? Nice comment for sure. What does he say when Nadal wins 3 of 4 a year later? "It's a shame to lose it over a bit of light." (even though he was NEVER in the lead, the entire match), "Usually the better player doesn't always win." "I should have never been there anyway" (the fifth set). Quite a turn around in rhetoric isn't it. Let's not turn this into a Federer IS gracious thread, just keep it on the topic of how Murray is dealing with the crowd support and desire for him to win.Roger has given Murray ample credit before and after their matches this year and even after Madrid and Shanghai.
But there are a number of factors that go into a loss and if Rafa and others are allowed to speak of them,so is Roger.

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Because he's arrogant.

maximo
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Because he's arrogant.

Yep.

10chars

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Interesting,seems Murray will try his best not to succumb to enormous pressure and try to take advantage of the crowd support.He did that very well against Gasguet last year,the crowd almost carried him to his comeback and ultimately victory.

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 12:01 PM

He's not honest here, he was obviously nervous in Blake match

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Yep.

10chars :lol: :lol:

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
By the way, Nadalhas nothing to do with Murray's slam shortages.

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Federer will say it's an amazing disaster and that he played bad all the time(during that match).Also that he made it easy for Murray to play great.

batz
06-20-2009, 12:05 PM

He's not honest here, he was obviously nervous in Blake match

Yep - he was so nervous in the last game that he served 2 aces and hit a forehand winner DTL.

I know he said himself he felt a little nervous but it wasn't obvious in his play IMO.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Federer will say it's an amazing disaster and that he played bad all the time(during that match).Also that he made it easy for Murray to play great.
he will also say his knees hurt, he was dropping the ball short, playing madrid was a mistake :rolleyes:

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I know he said himself he felt a little nervous but it wasn't obvious in his play IMO.

Wimb is quite a different stage also

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Or that he sent too many short balls

TennisandMusic
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Heck, if it happens that way that's fine. I know what you're saying, but Nadal was just saying it like it happened in those matches. Nadal played awful in those matches, and it was pretty clear why. Anyway, Federer was right to say he gave it away when he lost to Djokovic in Rome, so same deal. That truly wasn't the case at Wimbledon or the AO however. Nadal didn't even play that well compared to his best in the AO and STILL won. So...

If he wants to call it like it is cool. If you want to be nice when you win and just talk crap when you lose, that's something else.

I like Murray's attitude. He's an actual MAN about this issue. So many people talk about the scary pressure of a country wanting you to win, and he shrugs it off and states "how can anyone not think that's just homecourt advantage?" Finally someone with some balls in tennis who doesn't act like a frightened wuss. Aside from Nadal that's what tennis has been lacking for the last seven years or so.

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
he will also say his knees hurt, he was dropping the ball short, playing madrid was a mistake :rolleyes:

Or that he sent too many short balls.

Yes,it's possible he'll say those things as well.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Heck, if it happens that way that's fine. I know what you're saying, but Nadal was just saying it like it happened in those matches. Nadal played awful in those matches, and it was pretty clear why. Anyway, Federer was right to say he gave it away when he lost to Djokovic in Rome, so same deal. That truly wasn't the case at Wimbledon or the AO however. Nadal didn't even play that well compared to his best in the AO and STILL won. So...

If he wants to call it like it is cool. If you want to be nice when you win and just talk crap when you lose, that's something else.

I like Murray's attitude. He's an actual MAN about this issue. So many people talk about the scary pressure of a country wanting you to win, and he shrugs it off and states "how can anyone not think that's just homecourt advantage?" Finally someone with some balls in tennis who doesn't act like a frightened wuss. Aside from Nadal that's what tennis has been lacking for the last seven years or so.
underlined part-your perception.
Bolded part-Are you trying to tell us that a man with 14 GS and 19 finals has no balls?

zagor
06-20-2009, 12:14 PM

In your opinion he did,I doubt some of his opponents(Del Potro and Soderling)would agree with you and unlike you(and the rest of the posters here)they were actually on court playing against Nadal so they can judge better than us.

But I like Murray's recent interviews as well,he's speaking his mind and not shying away from the pressure,that's what I like to see.The guy could be the next dominant figure in tennis after Fed and Nadal,we'll see but I like his attitude.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 12:15 PM

:lol: Look at the double standard. Federer is arrogant when he says something in the press conference while Nadal just says it like it is and is not arrogant. :-? Wow! okay then. Also, If you are gonna say that nadal didnt play his best in the AO match, then it is settled that federer played awful in that match and still took nadal to five sets.

Muzzafan
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
underlined part-your perception.
Bolded part-Are you trying to tell us that a man with 14 GS and 19 finals has no balls?

Sorry, but in what way did he say federer wasn't a man and murray is?

All he said was murray was mature about it.

shawn1122
06-20-2009, 12:21 PM

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, when, for ‑‑ I played very short, you know. I play very short. I didn't play great. I didn't play with calm at no one time during all the match.

That makes him easy to play at this level during all the match, no? So was my fault, and more than ‑‑ well, sure, he did well. He did very well, but I didn't ‑‑ yeah,I think I didn't play my best tennis. And I didn't play not my best tennis, no? I didn't play my tennis, and for that reason I lose. That's it.

Wow, you're right!! Nadal is so humble. We should just suspend Federer and all get on our knees and suck on Nadal's humble rod, what do you say? I'm sure it'd be a dream come true for a lot of the people here.

mandy01
06-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry, but in what way did he say federer wasn't a man and murray is?

All he said was murray was mature about it.
Ignoring Federer was deliberate.I'm not saying he has to believe Roger is as strong as Nadal or Murray mentally,but he's in the mix and anybody with a slightly objective eye will notice it.
Aslo,,I think the guy edited his original post.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Well Murray seems to deal with it better than Henman at least. That guy seemed practically scared to win. Obviously Murray wants it, so the pressure isn't pressure at all, he just sees it as support.

Murray has never entered this situation before. I don't think he quite grasps or encompasses how much pressure is on him. If he loses before the SF, he will get torched by every sports writer in Britain for at the very minimum a year.

Muzzafan
06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Murray has never entered this situation before. I don't think he quite grasps or encompasses how much pressure is on him. If he loses before the SF, he will get torched by every sports writer in Britain for at the very minimum a year.

Murray has proved he doesn't care what people say/write about him, or he would of quit 3 years ago when he was recieving death threats, tons of abuse and even people saying they wished he should of died in the dunblane shooting when he made the joke about not supporting the english football team.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Murray has proved he doesn't care what people say/write about him, or he would of quit 3 years ago when he was recieving death threats, tons of abuse and even people saying they wished he should of died in the dunblane shooting when he made the joke about not supporting the english football team.

It's quite different now that he is a national icon. I think the pressure will get to him; Tim Henman was a pretty chill guy and he could hardly handle it.

maximo
06-20-2009, 12:44 PM

People who say Federer is mentally the strongest on tour are just soo wrong.

Muzzafan
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
It's quite different now that he is a national icon. I think the pressure will get to him; Tim Henman was a pretty chill guy and he could hardly handle it.

If he feels pressure, he cares what people expect of him, therefore If he was the type of person who cared what people thought/expected he would shave and cut his hair more often and make more effort in interviews to make himself look better.

batz
06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Wimb is quite a different stage also

Now that's a fair point.

batz
06-20-2009, 01:07 PM

He was also an inferior tennis player to Murray. It's hard to handle the pressure when deep down you're not sure you can deliver.

Feña14
06-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again, Murray is a totally different animal to Henman.

I have to believe him when he says the huge support is an advantage. You make of it what you will and Murray will turn it into a positive.

R.Federer
06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, when, for ‑‑ I played very short, you know. I play very short. I didn't play great. I didn't play with calm at no one time during all the match.

That makes him easy to play at this level during all the match, no? So was my fault, and more than ‑‑ well, sure, he did well. He did very well, but I didn't ‑‑ yeah,I think I didn't play my best tennis. And I didn't play not my best tennis, no? I didn't play my tennis, and for that reason I lose. That's it.

Wow, you're right!! Nadal is so humble. We should just suspend Federer and all get on our knees and suck on Nadal's humble rod, what do you say? I'm sure it'd be a dream come true for a lot of the people here.

hahah tennisandmusic got owned there you go sunshine

shadows
06-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Yep - he was so nervous in the last game that he served 2 aces and hit a forehand winner DTL.

Whilst he closed out comfortably, I'd contend that Andy giving back that early break in the match could have been attributed to a little bit of nerves.

I generally maintain the belief that the occasion is very unlikely to get to Andy though; in fact I don't think he'll really feel the pressure at Wimbledon unless he goes down a set in the latter stages (read semi/final) of the tournament. Then he might get a little tight under the weight of expectation.

batz
06-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Whilst he closed out comfortably, I'd contend that Andy giving back that early break in the match could have been attributed to a little bit of nerves.

I generally maintain the belief that the occasion is very unlikely to get to Andy though; in fact I don't think he'll really feel the pressure at Wimbledon unless he goes down a set in the latter stages (read semi/final) of the tournament. Then he might get a little tight under the weight of expectation.

Don't disagree with that, but I don't think nerves will be his downfall.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 02:01 PM
He was also an inferior tennis player to Murray. It's hard to handle the pressure when deep down you're not sure you can deliver.

Tim Henman also played in an incredibly tough era, full of guys like Agassi, Edberg, Sampras, Becker, Goran, etc. An old well over the hill Tim Henman in 2004 somehow managed to beat up on everyone at the FO and the USO before being stopped by Federer and Coria.

batz
06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Tim Henman also played in an incredibly tough era, full of guys like Agassi, Edberg, Sampras, Becker, Goran, etc. An old well over the hill Tim Henman in 2004 somehow managed to beat up on everyone at the FO and the USO before being stopped by Federer and Coria.

Nam - I love Tim Henman. It would have been fantastic if he could have even made a Wimby final. I spoke to the guy only last week:)! But he wasn't as good a tennis player as Andy Murray. And by 'tennis player', I mean everything that that entails. Raw talent, work ethic, will to win etc.

Even Tim himself says this.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Nam - I love Tim Henman. It would have been fantastic if he could have even made a Wimby final. I spoke to the guy only last week:)! But he wasn't as good a tennis player as Andy Murray. And by 'tennis player', I mean everything that that entails. Raw talent, work ethic, will to win etc.

Even Tim himself says this.

I think he's just underrated in GB. He had alot of weapons to work with; they (the press) simply put too much pressure on him.

batz
06-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I think he's just underrated in GB. He had alot of weapons to work with; they (the press) simply put too much pressure on him.

Only by people who only watch tennis 2 weeks a year. Every true tennis fan always knew the pressure that the press put on Tim was just crazy. Of course, they then took great pleasure in calling him a failure when he didn't win it, which was equally crazy. Look at the list of players you produced - that's who he was supposed to roll over!

Feña14
06-20-2009, 02:23 PM

Maybe so, he just seemed to make too many errors. I've been re-living some of his classic matches this week on TV and the number of silly mistakes he made had me tearing me hair out even now.

He did have some great weapons but he didn't have the quality the likes of Rafter and Sampras had during his era.

Tennis_Bum
06-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Well, let's wait to see how he plays. He should get to the final according to his seeding but if he doesn't for some reason, then we know why.

We will know in two weeks.

NamRanger
06-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe so, he just seemed to make too many errors. I've been re-living some of his classic matches this week on TV and the number of silly mistakes he made had me tearing me hair out even now.

He did have some great weapons but he didn't have the quality the likes of Rafter and Sampras had during his era.

I don't know; he had amazing volleys. Better than Sampras even. His serve was no joke either, and unlike Rafter, Timmy could baseline fairly well off both sides too (he could hold his own against even the best of baseliners). He had a very well rounded package, and could play from any part of the court.

To be quite honest, Tim Henman had ALOT more weapons then Rafter. He had a bigger serve that was pretty consistent, he could baseline well, and he had great hands. Rafter was just simply an athletic beast blessed with great reactions.

I just think it was really unfair how high expectations were put on him. Many of his meltdowns in the SF were a result of how high his expectations were.

_maxi
06-20-2009, 09:37 PM
What do you mean? Read again.
Yet again Federer has given no credit to nadal!
Where is Nadal's place in the interview? his name doesn't even appear.. it was about Murray, not Nadal.

VivalaVida
06-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Where is Nadal's place in the interview? his name doesn't even appear.. it was about Murray, not Nadal.
its an inside joke on the forum. The hilarious poster known as Rubberduckies started it.

Feña14
06-20-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't know; he had amazing volleys. Better than Sampras even. His serve was no joke either, and unlike Rafter, Timmy could baseline fairly well off both sides too (he could hold his own against even the best of baseliners). He had a very well rounded package, and could play from any part of the court.

To be quite honest, Tim Henman had ALOT more weapons then Rafter. He had a bigger serve that was pretty consistent, he could baseline well, and he had great hands. Rafter was just simply an athletic beast blessed with great reactions.

I just think it was really unfair how high expectations were put on him. Many of his meltdowns in the SF were a result of how high his expectations were.

Possibly yeah. He did lose alot of matches he should of won throughout his career though, it wasn't just something that happened at Wimbledon.

markmurray
06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
The bolded doesn't mean anything. It's not called pressure if he isn't aware of it. You could perhaps say he isn't aware of the hype and then the logical conclusion would be that he doesn't feel the pressure as much.

I don't think this is true anyway. Since Murray doesn't live in a cave, I think he is perfectly aware of the massive hope and expectation surrounding him.

I wouldn't read too much into what he says though. Intimating that the pressure might be too much is the wrong thing to do, whether it is how he feels or not. Putting a positive spin on it and talking about the advantage of the home crowd is the right thing to do. That he does this shows that he is aware of the need to give himself every chance by saying all the right things, but it doesn't show a lot more.

We won't know (and perhaps he won't know) whether the pressure is too much until he steps out on court.

DoubleDeuce
06-20-2009, 11:40 PM
The bolded doesn't mean anything. It's not called pressure if he isn't aware of it. You could perhaps say he isn't aware of the hype and then the logical conclusion would be that he doesn't feel the pressure as much.

I don't think this is true anyway. Since Murray doesn't live in a cave, I think he is perfectly aware of the massive hope and expectation surrounding him.

I wouldn't read too much into what he says though. Intimating that the pressure might be too much is the wrong thing to do, whether it is how he feels or not. Putting a positive spin on it and talking about the advantage of the home crowd is the right thing to do. That he does this shows that he is aware of the need to give himself every chance by saying all the right things, but it doesn't show a lot more.

We won't know (and perhaps he won't know) whether the pressure is too much until he steps out on court.

I am guessing what Nam says is that pressure will catch up with him once he gets on the center of center court, specially in deeper stages.
Having that said, I dont buy it for a sec that he is not, or will not feel any pressure. It is huge, a first time wannabe, in London, so much expectations and videos and articles going around him from months ago? Dont think so.

ChanceEncounter
06-21-2009, 02:07 AM
It's called "home court advantage" for a reason. Of course pressure could get to him. Pressure could get to him even if everyone was rooting against him. But obviously, getting positive reinforcement from the crowd usually helps a lot more than it hurts.

sh@de
06-21-2009, 04:26 AM

Turn on your sarcasm detector...