PDA

View Full Version : Last minute help. PLZ

Liv3 For It
06-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey guys, I have a tournament tommorrow and it's early in the morning (8:00 AM).
Is there any helpful advice for morning matches?

About me: I have a decent serve, I tend to double fault a lot. When I'm on its good but when im off my serve (like i am usually) its bad. I have a good forehand however it shanks more than I would like it too. My backhand is mainly consistant and cant hit winners. My volley is ok but I do trust it competely. My overhead is probably my biggest weakness(idk why, I just always miss it). My footwork and returns are decent. I have a tendency to lob too short.

Is there any advice for my game?

About my opponent: We met once for a tournament last year and he beat me 8-4 in a pro set. HOWEVER, I have gotten a lot better in a year and personally think I can win now. He has a pretty good serve and return. I scouted him today and he looked a lot worse than I imagined him. However i dont want to underestimate. His groundstrokes are ok but he is inconsistant. He also likes to volley however his volleys dont look that good. His shots also look like they travel slower than mine. Today he looked like he was having some trouble hitting overheads but I am not going to test that out on purpose. His backhand side is probably weaker.

Is there any advice on how to beat a person like this?

Any last minute tourny tips?

Thank you guys so much.

1st Seed
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Good luck regardless how you play.I would get my butt out of bed early depending on who I'm playing,then head to a wall close to the courts or find a really good friend willing to meet you there for an early morning warm up.If you're strugling with the 2nd serve try taking a little off or add a little more kick to it.Usually I play well in the early morning,but to start at eight that's tough to get the adrenaline running.Play with some patience and try to cut down on the mis hit's you'll punish him or her.Good Luck.Post back the results.

Jim A
06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
man you need to either prepare ahead of time or just chill out

your posts are all late notice, if you aren't going to bother to game plan and have a couple options, might as well not worry about it

PeppermintMocha
06-20-2009, 08:47 PM
The most important thing you can do right now is... get enough sleep!

Also, don't approach the net unless it's following a _very_good_ approach shot.

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Are you referring to the Moorestown tournament? What's your name? I can help you if I know who your opponent is. I'm also playing in it.

Liv3 For It
06-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Okay, no I live in SJ

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Okay, no I live in Utah

No you don't. You specifically mentioned that you were playing in a South Jersey final last month, and when I checked USTA for Utah, no tournaments had matches in it for today or yesterday. Why post something if you intend to lie? I can truly help you, but not if you lie and pretend to be in a position you're not. There's also a tournament yesterday and today which had matches at 8:00 A.M. which I'm playing in as well, and I'm positive you're in it.

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Here's definitive proof:

On Monday, May 18th, my high school team will be competing for the South Jersey Final. It is a state tournament and if we win, we will be the best team in SJ. Then we will continue to go on to play for the entire state or NJ.

Liv3 For It
06-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Who is this?

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Who is this?

I asked you first, and can you tell me your name so that I can help you?

Liv3 For It
06-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Alex Jaffe

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Alex Jaffe

Yeah, you're going to be playing the winner of Travis or Justin. Justin is Moorestown's #3, so he definitely is going to beat Travis, who I also know very well. Beating Justin will be incredibly difficult, but you can always pray. I think you were initially supposed to play Mike Sha I believe, but she switched up the matches. Good luck though.

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Although, I don't know what to think. The only two matches yesterday were Levine/Starik, in which Levine won, and Shvarts/Doyle, in which Shvarts was leading but had the match stopped because of rain. Your "scouting report" doesn't seem right for either Levine nor Shvarts, and your opponent cannot be either one of the them for at least the next round. Can you elaborate?

Liv3 For It
06-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I heard Levine is good. I might meet him in the finals. What is he like? Where are you?

TennisPassion5
06-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I heard Levine is good. I might meet him in the finals. What is he like? Where are you?

Man don't lie to me. I know you are Mike Sha. You wouldn't worry about your last match which you won't even get to before you are done your first round match. Stop with the B.S. lies and all; if you want help, people are here to give it to you but not if you constantly lie and don't tell it how it really is. Matt's very good though, and it'll be tough for you to beat him.

Fandango
06-21-2009, 07:07 PM
eat a lime whenever you feel nervous big fella

Fandango
06-21-2009, 07:07 PM
and get a good night's sleep

Fandango
06-21-2009, 07:08 PM
play the point not the score

PushyPushster
06-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Stop with the B.S. lies and all; if you want help, people are here to give it to you but not if you constantly lie and don't tell it how it really is. Matt's very good though, and it'll be tough for you to beat him.

Climb off the guy's back already. Maybe he doesn't want to volunteer his name and specifics to the board at large. Especially when all it gets him is "Matt's very good". I'm pretty sure he can get that kind of detailed scouting report anywhere. I notice you're not willing to give up your name despite multiple requests on his part - how about allowing him the same privacy?

Kostas
06-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Interesting thread...

beernutz
06-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Man don't lie to me. I know you are Mike Sha. You wouldn't worry about your last match which you won't even get to before you are done your first round match. Stop with the B.S. lies and all; if you want help, people are here to give it to you but not if you constantly lie and don't tell it how it really is. Matt's very good though, and it'll be tough for you to beat him.

Put up or shut up. If you are not willing to put your own name on a forum read by thousands of people then you shouldn't expect others to do likewise.

Please also check this forum's title; this is the *Adult* forum. Perhaps the Juniors forum would be a better place for your high school drama hissyfit?

TennisPassion5
06-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I have no problem giving my name away. However, me giving it away is completely irrelevant to this thread. The kid wanted advice on how to win, so I don't know why my name needs to be involved. His name does because it allows me to figure out who his opponent is and what should be known about him. Also, I do know a lot about Matt. He is very consistent, has a very good serve, has a stronger forehand, and plays mainly with topsin. However, he can hit winners and outplay his opponent.

PushyPushster
06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I have no problem giving my name away.

And yet you haven't. The proof is in the pudding. People don't like being pressured to reveal personal information on an anonymous message board.

TennisPassion5
06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I haven't because theres no reason/need for it. However, if I was in this guy's position and somebody knew most people in the draw, then I'd have no problem with it. And if he felt uncomfortable, that's all he had to say. But lying about his name and about his location isn't necessary.

beernutz
06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I haven't because theres no reason/need for it. However, if I was in this guy's position and somebody knew most people in the draw, then I'd have no problem with it. And if he felt uncomfortable, that's all he had to say. But lying about his name and about his location isn't necessary.

No, pressuring people on internet message forums, especially minors, to reveal their real life names is unnecessary and borderline stalking. Maybe when you grow up a bit this realization will become more obvious. However, the fact that you too may be a minor is really not an excuse for this kind of behavior, imo.

TennisPassion5
06-22-2009, 06:49 PM
No, pressuring people on internet message forums, especially minors, to reveal their real life names is unnecessary and borderline stalking. Maybe when you grow up a bit this realization will become more obvious. However, the fact that you too may be a minor is really not an excuse for this kind of behavior, imo.

Ok??? Once again, he always could have said he was uncomfortable giving his name away. And stalking? Are you kidding? Knowing a person's name is stalking them? I know who a random person like Elena Dementieva is, does that mean that by knowing her name and her tennis schedule I'm stalking her? Right....

beernutz
06-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Ok??? Once again, he always could have said he was uncomfortable giving his name away. And stalking? Are you kidding? Knowing a person's name is stalking them? I know who a random person like Elena Dementieva is, does that mean that by knowing her name and her tennis schedule I'm stalking her? Right....

It seems to me someone who is deliberately not revealing their identity and is hiding their location is likely to be doing so because they are uncomfortable giving away such information on an Internet forum.

Dementieva is a public figure. Some random kid on a forum is not. That you fail to see the difference speaks volumes about your ability to think logically.

TennisPassion5
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
It seems to me someone who is deliberately not revealing their identity and is hiding their location is likely to be doing so because they are uncomfortable giving away such information on an Internet forum.

Dementieva is a public figure. Some random kid on a forum is not. That you fail to see the difference speaks volumes about your ability to think logically.

By the way, when I played the REAL Alex Jaffe, he seemed concerned and extremely upset that his name was mentioned on a public forum. That's just not right.

beernutz
06-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Ok, my name is ***** and I'm from *****. Happy? By the way, when I played the REAL Alex Jaffe, he seemed concerned and extremely upset that his name was mentioned on a public forum. That's just not right.

He didn't include that name on a public forum until *you* asked him who he was playing. Alex Jaffe should be upset with you.

I also think you should edit your post and remove your name. When I suggested you put your own name in the forum I was just trying to illustrate the hypocrisy of you asking for someone else to put their name in public forum while you were not willing to do that with your own name. I didn't and still don't think it is a good idea for anyone, but particularly a minor, to use their own name in a forum unless they are a public figure.

TennisPassion5
06-24-2009, 03:51 AM
He didn't include that name on a public forum until *you* asked him who he was playing. Alex Jaffe should be upset with you.

I also think you should edit your post and remove your name. When I suggested you put your own name in the forum I was just trying to illustrate the hypocrisy of you asking for someone else to put their name in public forum while you were not willing to do that with your own name. I didn't and still don't think it is a good idea for anyone, but particularly a minor, to use their own name in a forum unless they are a public figure.

You basically contradicted yourself, because I'm obviously not a hypocrite if I just did what I asked another member to do. Also, once again, I didn't demand his name-I just asked. It was in his own power to answer or decline.

PushyPushster
06-24-2009, 04:50 AM
I didn't demand his name-I just asked. It was in his own power to answer or decline.

When he said, "I'm from Utah", that was him declining.

By the way, when I played the REAL Alex Jaffe, he seemed concerned and extremely upset that his name was mentioned on a public forum.

Gee, why do you think that is?

beernutz
06-24-2009, 05:35 AM
You basically contradicted yourself, because I'm obviously not a hypocrite if I just did what I asked another member to do. Also, once again, I didn't demand his name-I just asked. It was in his own power to answer or decline.

I agree, you have proved you are not a hypocrite because you did eventually do what you were asking the OP to do. However, when I first pointed out the hypocrisy you had not yet posted your name.

To be honest you did more than just ask for his name; you repeatedly asked for it and called him a liar several times when he would not post it.